Game-Labs Forum

It's Time to Merge the Servers!!

56 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

No. 

I wanted a unified server to work all along, but as it happened the server split was the best thing to happen to this game for a long time. And with the current server architecture, no matter where you put it - US or EU - a single server would make the game simply inaccessible to some players. 500 ping is alright for this game. 1500 ping minimum and with instability is not. I know that OP doesn't care that some player just have to "bite the bullet and not be able to play", but there should be servers so that players from all over the world that wants to play this game can reasonably do so.

500ms to 1500ms?

1500ms=1.5sec which is about the time it takes to get a signal from the MOON!

So unless we have people living on the Moon, that isnt possible.

http://www.spaceacademy.net.au/spacelink/commdly.htm

Unless you are on 14.4kbs dial up, and using old copper lines from the very end of civilization in the Antarctic you would be HARD pressed to get a +500ms ping consistently to any point on Earth.  

So please stop talking out of your fifth point of contact and come back with some hard facts.

• Like 1

Just now, Cornelis Tromp said:

Ask some Russians what their ping to Global is. Bye.

My ping to some Russian servers is only in the mid 200ms to low 300ms range, so I cant imagine theirs is a whole lot different.

7 minutes ago, Pablo Frias said:

No, thanks. Current PVP EU enviroment is the least toxic ever, we´re fine with that. Server merge would only bring old egos and fights back.

And the secret is out . . . well done.  Now the drama monkeys will begin their campaign.

47 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Okay so what can a nation like Spain do against attacks at US prime time? Wake up at 3 AM again every 2nd night or lose all ports uncontested?

Get solution to this or gtfo.

Welcome to understanding the reality Global Server has always had to live with.  Time to move on from port battles to something very different.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Fiber optic lines can be really really long.

Not all places have fiber.  Speaking from a small town area in the middle of the US, this is the case where I live.  More and more every year fiber is laid down, but it isn't everywhere yet.  I don't know how it is in other countries, but I imagine it is the same way.

1 minute ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

"some". Russia is big.

Russia is big, but if the Chinese can connect to the US servers and play I imagine the ping for most of Russia being no more than 100ms different.  

Sorry but signals over the internet travel at nearly the speed of light.  There is some delay as it goes through different data hubs, but those are often in the ns range.    Unless someone has a really bad internet connection and are dropping packets, well that is on their ISP not on the server location.   They would have the same problems on the EU server.  

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Russia is big, but if the Chinese can connect to the US servers and play I imagine the ping for most of Russia being no more than 100ms different.  

Sorry but signals over the internet travel at nearly the speed of light.  There is some delay as it goes through different data hubs, but those are often in the ns range.    Unless someone has a really bad internet connection and are dropping packets, well that is on their ISP not on the server location.   They would have the same problems on the EU server.  

Again, a non-issue, as most EU players don't want to merge.

Just now, Hodo said:

They would have the same problems everywhere, doing everything with the internet. Moreover, a server merge likely doesn't require a relocation of the server farm.  But as I said, London to Sydney seems pretty quick for other games.

To OP: Seriously no! You guys got exactly what you whined, cried, lobbied, raged, griefed and almost killed off a server population for. You now you have your own dedicated Global server with PBs 24/7. Please just stay there! And leave the EU population on the EU server be in peace.

What ever changes devs will bring for us to test, I'm sure in their infinite wisdom they will see it fit to test them on a server with an open and a locked PB capture window.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Christendom said:

Given the possible changes released today by @admin, which seem to be good ones, I think it's time to revisit the Global and EU server split notion.  As much as I dislike the server split, I get that people don't want to be online 24/7 defending ports.  That was the old system.  With the prospect of these new changes it looks like the game is taking more of the EVE/Sandbox approach, which means one server no restrictions.  Don't want your corp/war company to lose it's holdings?  Better recruit around the clock support.  Conquest restrictions have zero place in the new proposed system IMO.  So why do we need 2 servers?

Populations appear to have leveled out between the 2 servers with Global maxing out around 250-300 and EU 400-500 (casual observation) and this seems to echo similar population numbers to what the servers were pre-wipe.  If you build it, people will come.  The game is still running less than 1000 people on average and given the significance of the changes it sounds like the more population being together to test, the better it will be.  Naval Action is too small to split up.  If this game is truly supposed to be a sandbox, it's time to throw everyone in it and say go have fun.  

Ping Issues?  I know a couple of EU based players in my clan on global get better ping to the US east coast based server than I do and I live on the east coast.....   @Wraith did a pretty good data collection of pings and what location might be the best for the game.  We should look at it.  

Anyway, it's time to merge the servers.  To use a line from one of my favorite shows.

1*jWkSTwUGEFYOe8sT_dN-oA.jpeg

No it`s not.

Stay away.

• Like 1

Christendom, thank you for posting this topic here to get it away from the admin's conquest revisions proposal topic.  I have weighed in against a merge, but do believe it deserves another round of discussion here. ;)

One thing that has not been brought up that was a big topic from before during these merge discussions: it was not necessarily the average ping for players on a unified server that was the whole issue, it was that so many players got spikes in their ping randomly, which rendered them an unfair disadvantage in some battles.  I personally don't have an issue with ping (average 20 on global, 100 EU; east coast USA for reference), but I feel for players who will have this issue.

I'd rather drink terpentine and piss on a brushfire. And for the record the new conquest system hasn't been introduced yet and I sincerely hope that it won't be.

It is essentially the death of the RvR system and removes any need for national factions in game - why then not just drop the entire carribean that has about 70% of unused map? - At no point in the 18th century did the different countries work together in "companies", and citizens who did cooperate with enemy  nations were hanged (and rightly so) for doing so. If we are to forego any historical pretext to the game we might as well forego with a map that is essentially poorly thought out game-play wise but absolutely essential if we want a historical pretext.

EDIT: One thing I don't understand. The proponents for a global server already has just that - a global server. I'm mostly pro-choice and pro-competition and atm there is a choice between a global server and a EU timezone locked server. Why are the globals so afraid of competition? The playerbase has literally voted with their ships and some want EU servers and some wants a global server. If the global server is so unpopular that the proponents for the global server feels a need to kill of the competition, should that not indicate just how bad an idea that notion is?

Edited by Guest