Game-Labs Forum

PVP and Basic Cutters

To make things balanced, and 'encourage' high ranking captains to get out of their basic cutters...

My suggestion is this;

Since Basic cutters do not award PVP marks… basic cutters should not receive PVP marks either.

• Like 13

I've found the use of basic cutters tiresome but maybe if the ganking squads actually hit where the enemy clans are and not new players out of nation capitals you wouldn't see cutter swarms.

Edited by Rick Astley

Well i want to learn to pvp and since i do not have my economy set up to buy/outfit any other ship basic cutter is what i use for PVP until i get the means and the skill not to get sunk as much.

• Like 1

"To make things balanced, and 'encourage' high ranking captains to get out of their basic cutters..."

High ranking captains don't want to sail on basic cutters, but they have no money at the moment to afford better ships ....so. Fighting in a basic cutter is real pain in the...

Better ship = better PVE/PVP and more marks.

People should stop seeing exploits everywhere ;)

i personally dont think basic cutters should be able to pvp anything other then  a basic cutter. Why should someone have to risk a ship/crew/cannons and cargo to have repairs for just some basic cutter to be able to tag them and not have to worry about loosing anything. Its just a troll ship at this point b/c 10 basic cutters can kill a 5th rate no problem but that 5th rate cant get anything out of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rick Astley said:

I've found the use of basic cutters tiresome but maybe if the ganking squads actually hit where the enemy clans are and not new players out of nation capitals you wouldn't see cutter swarms.

You don't know me, do you.
Pagan Pete uses Historical Brand (™) Pyracy! I be not yer typical player… I sail in a sloop looking fer traders, just like pyrates of tester year :)

1 hour ago, lohi said:

Well i want to learn to pvp and since i do not have my economy set up to buy/outfit any other ship basic cutter is what i use for PVP until i get the means and the skill not to get sunk as much.

Yes, learn in your basic cutter, and make a bit of money. But there should be NO pvp rewards for a ship that give no PVP regards.

The system IS being abused.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Forbin said:

High ranking captains don't want to sail on basic cutters, but they have no money at the moment to afford better ships ....so. Fighting in a basic cutter is real pain in the...

Better ship = better PVE/PVP and more marks.

People should stop seeing exploits everywhere ;)

Thats odd, because Ive been seeing basic cutters with AI fleets of regular cutters.  Now, tell me that baint an exploit of the system?

8 minutes ago, Pagan Pete said:

Pagan Pete uses Historical Brand (™) Pyracy! I be not yer typical player… I sail in a sloop looking fer traders, just like pyrates of tester year :)

Yes, learn in your basic cutter, and make a bit of money. But there should be NO pvp rewards for a ship that give no PVP regards.

I know you! Everyone who has been on pvp1 knows who you are sir... Mr Privateer :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pagan Pete said:

Thats odd, because Ive been seeing basic cutters with AI fleets of regular cutters.  Now, tell me that baint an exploit of the system?

Sorry, I don't see an exploit, AI cutter equipped with canons will cost money and crew and AI are sunk easily most of the time.

A captain who really want to make money and fight with correct AI fleets will try to sail on a better ship, who will stick on a cutter by choice ?

I have no issue that free ships probably don't deserve PVP rewards just as long as Basic Cutters remain viable PVP ships. Then again if you do that you certainly punish the losers of nation building.

Coming from someone who has been down to two ports in the past and has been on the losing side of most nation building in NA the basic cutter has to remain a viable option for PVP for those nations that lose the ability to produce ships.

If you want an RvR game you have to provide the losers something to fight with. Without the basic cutter you would have to change the base mechanics of the game to insure every nation can build ships no matter how badly they lose. Smuggling is a step in that direction but not enough.

For those critical of the Basic Cutter just remember that not everyone is rich, not everyone wins and not everyone plays on a nation fully capable of producing the things the Brits and the US teams typically can.

Granted they could just have 2 teams so every team has full availability to tons of resources but currently that is not the set up.

• Like 1

maybe players play them as  rifiters?   

basic cutter problem is back and will disappear once players try changes and move on. It happened last january and will happen again on release.

Should we deny cutters ability to contribute from the start AND spend time on coding (like we did on auto disconnect and queues that became useless in 2 months)?

1 minute ago, admin said:

basic cutter problem is back and will disappear once players try changes and move on. It happened last january and will happen again on release.

Should we deny cutters ability to contribute from the start AND spend time on coding (like we did on auto disconnect and queues that became useless in 2 months)?

Auto disconnect the cutter who initiate a combat and put them in queue giving enough time for defender. Win-win.

I don't think anything should be done to the basic cutter unless it continues to be an issue as the server matures. No need to fix something that may not be a long term problem.

The basic cutter must remain a viable pvp option for the poor and small nations or you have to replace it with something else.

Something very cheap that the poor can afford.

i.e., say any nation with less than X ports gets access to the "National Cutter" that cost 2k to 4k and comes with 4 pound guns. Now their is a cost associated with the purchase and almost anyone can buy one after a mission or two.

Now people with only access to Sugar and Hemp ports and 8k in gold can still PVP and participate in the game.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pagan Pete said:

Don't blame the user for poor design choices

12 hours ago, admin said:

i would rather you work on the coding to fix the issue with the basic  cutter and then it wouldnt be a problem on release 

Edited by squedage

15 hours ago, admin said:

This time it wont dissappear because all the other small ships are basically too expensive (compared to zero cutter costs) relative to their fighting power. So we used to have snows etc. as screeners, but this wont happen after the patch because it is still too expensice to sacrifice a snow or a pickle for something a cutter can do for free.

• Like 1