Game-Labs Forum

Why you picked the PvP server you are playing on

Why you picked that server you are playing on  

53 members have voted

1. 1. You are playing on...

2. 2. You are playing there because of...

3. 3. You are from... (roughly) you may pick it timezoe wise

• EU
    • Russia
    • China
    • E-USA
    • W-USA
    • Australia
    • An other country far away from EU
  4. 4. Are you satisfied with your server choice?

Global.

Other Reasons, including friends and community, and also due to the game, in its entire scope, being playable at all times by everyone.

From Europe. Western tip of the continent.

Very pleased with the choice. Ping is good for a game of this genre and there are players from everywhere in the world at all times. Numbers might not be as high for now but population numbers seem stable around the clock.

The poll has separate options for East Coast USA and West Coast USA, but all of Eastern Europe seems to be conflated with "Russia", and all of Asia with "China". I guess South America goes under "far away from EU", but it makes no sense if for instance Ukraine, Belarus, or any of the many "-stans" of Eastern Europe should not be grouped with Russia, which covers those same timezones.

Also, Russia has more timezones than US, so why not East Russia and West Russia?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

The poll has separate options for East Coast USA and West Coast USA, but all of Eastern Europe seems to be conflated with "Russia", and all of Asia with "China". I guess South America goes under "far away from EU", but it makes no sense if for instance Ukraine, Belarus, or any of the many "-stans" of Eastern Europe should not be grouped with Russia, which covers those same timezones.

Also, Russia has more timezones than US, so why not East Russia and West Russia?

Yah it could of been broken down a bit better.  I'm central US (TEXAS) so I really wouldn't pick East or West US.  I think North, Central, and South America would been a good way to ask.  SEA covers a lot of the South East Asia area, but it's not all China and other countries and than you have our Australian folks and any one that is in that region.  Didn't even put Africa on there either.

Ofc I could add all countries of the world. But i choosed to keep IT simple. Maybe I should make it more timezone wise. For example doesen have Africa the same time Zone as EU? At least South Africa has.

Maybe I rename the question.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

I like the patch and many of the aspects brought into the game, bar a few.

My biggest gripe and criticism is how they have split the community, all that has happened is that PvP1 has been renamed PvPEU and given an RvR time-zone limitation with PvP2 renamed PvP Global. This is making it very hard for larger clans to choose a server as we have members from non-EU time-zones who will be locked out of RvR on the EU server.

I personally would love to choose PvP Global, but the population is so low it seems like a waste of time.

I was under the impression that PvP 1 and 2 would be merged and turned into PvP Global with a new server called PvP EU created, somehow this did not quite happen and people have defaulted to the server that they have been playing on before, which is now called PvP EU.

Unless the game has/had a much higher population PvP Global does not look like an attractive option and this change has only split the community and made a decision on which server to join much harder.

Both servers ought to be merged to create one large PvP server covering all time-zones with no RvR limitations besides server downtime.

ONLY when we have a much higher player population should we create a second server to accommodate the numbers.

Edited by Jacob Elston

Global

Sitting around in Germany.

Joined it due to friends, friendly community, global community and because my work hours are pretty much exactly covering the EU server RvR times.

Very happy excluding the high ping.

Nonetheless I think this can not be the solution and the current situation is heavily flawed.

3 hours ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

As the user counts prove the forum polls aren't representative of the userbase.

I know about 25+ asian players from mostly SEA that only maybe one or two of them even get on the Forums and well lets be honest only 1% of the actual player base gets on here any way so these aren't exactly accurate.  Not to mention only the English section of the player base will see this.

46 minutes ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

Global

Sitting around in Germany.

Joined it due to friends, friendly community, global community and because my work hours are pretty much exactly covering the EU server RvR times.

Very happy excluding the high ping.

Nonetheless I think this can not be the solution and the current situation is heavily flawed.

What is you ping by the way?  I get around 40-60 in the Global (central US) and I get around 140-160 on EU.   I would still argue ping matters even though folks say it doesn't, but even those pings was very playable, for me it was the lag spikes of 400-600 I would get on EU randomly that was killing me.   They really should of looked into servers in a better central location.  Hell just think of the SEA players they have sucky ping on both servers and they still play.  We have some SEA players playing from behind the china firewall and they average about 600 ping if lucky and they still play.  SO if your getting 120 ping (think I remember you posting that at one time) on the Global server that honestly isn't that bad.   

21 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

What is you ping by the way?  I get around 40-60 in the Global (central US) and I get around 140-160 on EU.   I would still argue ping matters even though folks say it doesn't, but even those pings was very playable, for me it was the lag spikes of 400-600 I would get on EU randomly that was killing me.   They really should of looked into servers in a better central location.  Hell just think of the SEA players they have sucky ping on both servers and they still play.  We have some SEA players playing from behind the china firewall and they average about 600 ping if lucky and they still play.  SO if your getting 120 ping (think I remember you posting that at one time) on the Global server that honestly isn't that bad.   

Well for one I was obviously already used to the sweet EU ping ;) But the Global Server tends to run at 120-150 ping regularly with the occasional spike up to 300. Overall its alright however 1) those spikes can really screw your shooting or boarding over and 2) I noticed that shooting and baording commands seem to require an additional 1-2 seconds preplanning. I have not yet boarded a player so it remains to be seen whether I will have a disadvantage then considering those actions tend to be last second command switches.

3 minutes ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

Well for one I was obviously already used to the sweet EU ping ;) But the Global Server tends to run at 120-150 ping regularly with the occasional spike up to 300. Overall its alright however 1) those spikes can really screw your shooting or boarding over and 2) I noticed that shooting and baording commands seem to require an additional 1-2 seconds preplanning. I have not yet boarded a player so it remains to be seen whether I will have a disadvantage then considering those actions tend to be last second command switches.

That pretty much sums the same for me when I played on the other side of the world.  That little delay can mean hitting the water or over the top of the deck, specially if your in small ships.   Boarding you can't wait for the last moment, you have to give that 1-2 second delay.  I lost a few boards on EU cause the other guy was about to ATTACK spike me at the last moment or counter my DEFEND cause he had the better ping.  I'm still not a believer that ping doesn't matter. 

I'm hoping for release they upgrade the servers or something cause I play other games and cause of my hours I play on EU and SEA servers some times and I don't get those spikes like I do in this game.  Though I get them using lesser servers for now cause this is only testing and development of a game.

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

That pretty much sums the same for me when I played on the other side of the world.  That little delay can mean hitting the water or over the top of the deck, specially if your in small ships.   Boarding you can't wait for the last moment, you have to give that 1-2 second delay.  I lost a few boards on EU cause the other guy was about to ATTACK spike me at the last moment or counter my DEFEND cause he had the better ping.  I'm still not a believer that ping doesn't matter. 

I'm hoping for release they upgrade the servers or something cause I play other games and cause of my hours I play on EU and SEA servers some times and I don't get those spikes like I do in this game.  Though I get them using lesser servers for now cause this is only testing and development of a game.

I was hoping that the global server would not jsut be a renamed US one but isntead be moved to i.e. Iceland so everybody runs equal ping of 60. Or combine several server locations to work together and offer easier connections for all palyers including the AUS (I mean they are nearly always screwed ;) ).

Regarding ping.

I am from Germany too. I have a ping of 6-10ms on the EU server and 100-120ms on the global. And I see and feel no difference at all. I can pick boarding commands in the last second and raking works well.

The only problem are ping spikes but that's not a server problem. That's in most cases a problem on your side. I could solve it for me by telling my anti virus program to not look for the game traffic.

Edited by z4ys

I get 170 Ping to Global and 260 ping to EU, but I don't recall it ever mattered in the past when I played on all of them.  Global population profile will presumably be more compatible with my playing times, and I hope everyone is on one big happy Universal server in the future anyhow.