Game-Labs Forum

Taxation vs Corp and Nation and Harbor

Hello! Wanted to make an individual topic for this as I DO believe that it could be a major part of the game and benefit all parties involved.

I believe that guilds should be able to charge guild tax from 1% - 20% of all winnings. We all know how expensive flags and crafting are at the moment, and I think we can hazard a guess the larger ships are going to be extortionate to maintain.

It adds a bit of fun and depth to guilds, much like the diplomacy / economic menu in the total war games. In future what could be the deciding factor between guilds is yes, members, style and activity, but also the tax rate.

It also gives nations / Fleets options if they suffered heavy losses of resources, ships or ports. If this happens guild members can expect the tax rate to be increased to fund replacement guild funded ships of the line and flags etc

In regards to guild owned ports which have already been previously discussed, if you made regional capitals harder to maintain by increasing the port tax rate, the size of your guild and tax rate would determine whether it is a viable asset to hold as a main base of operations.

Thoughts?

Edited by Monkey Bullet
  • Like 4

You could introduce contribution instead or next to taxes? That way the clan leader and officers can see you contributed to the clan and therefore know if they arent "wasting" ships or resources on an inactive player.

This could also be done.

Also, i would assume the gold goes to the clan and not the players, i would also assume that any members can see what the amount is(well officers at least) so that they can spot when something fishy is happening.

Sure, that could happen. But I'd view that as another feature and selling point, rather than a con. Risk is exciting. Eve has shown that. Rust has shown that. Dayz has shown that. H1z1 has shown that. Sure you could lose a ton of money, you could also lose 5 1st rates with a flag totalling to a 1.5 million loss or something, so maybe split it between 3 treasurers? Be smart. Risk has become extremely attractive over the past few years.

Choose your guilds and treasurers wisely I guess. I know in 100% certainty that our current designated treasurer in the DAS wouldn't run off the the money. Just be smart about it.

I'm assuming Monkey Bullet is an Eve player. Eve's tax system is very important for the game as a whole as it allows the guilds to have secure shared resources rather than individual members acquiring all of the money/resources. In Eve at least it's a very good system and you can give members privileges and rights to access some or all of your guild's shared bank/inventory. I think it will be NECESSARY to have a system like this once the guilds reach a critical mass and really begin to manipulate markets and commodity prices.

• Like 2

I like the idea, however I fear it could be easily abused. As Olav stated, what is to stop a leader from making off with the treasury? Although, to be fair, if they are providing the clan, then does he deserve it?

I would like to see the ability for leaders to actually dictate how much tax is taken, from 0-50 or 75%. Is the clan currently at war? Then we need war funds! Taxes at 75%! Are we just relaxing and sailing around for a few weeks? 10% Taxes! Woo, we are celebrating something! 0% taxes! (Tax adjustment could be limited from being changed to weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly?)

This would of course mean that a clan wallet is needed as well.

You could go for the option that every battle done by a clan member, 10% of those funds will be put in the clan treasury. To avoid grieving its only possible to store money and not being able to withdraw from it as players. The only things treasury could be used for is buying flags / in the future investing in ports or production buildings.

And when it becomes a succesfull feature, you can start thinking about adding withdrawel options for that have to be approved by 80% of the clan officers? 

• Like 1

Will end up with the guild leader leaves with all the gold or sells it......

Then you need a better guild leader :) 

I'm all for this idea. More control and choice for clans/guilds is great. Add a clan bank and allow permissions to be set on who is allowed to withdraw from it and possibly set limits.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if perhaps with the outpost system which is nice have place for clan to set up banks as to donate crafting mats for a clan members and also ships and to make clans officer be able to impose a clan tax on members very small to be for conquest

as to have funds set aside for by the conquest flag to encourage more clan participation 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

useing a Eve style system is quite good idea. i would keep it to just battle income that way players can still make money from trade unmolested. they can then choose to donate to clan if they wished.

but yes a guild bank/wallet should already be setup the tax system should just be a added feature we talk about.

regarding the leader leaving with your loot realy nothing you can do there. i find it highly unlikly to happen due to the bad rap he would have. also he would basicly be a enemy of the state. no player in his nation would trust him ever again. he would have to move nations and by then he would loose all said gold.

Things like this would get around fast considering size of each nation. 

maybe pirates would be more likly to have this happen and more open to not making him a enemy of the state but i think most others would put a black mark on his name.

so what i saying is that yes there is a chance it could happen but i highly dout it will

useing a Eve style system is quite good idea. i would keep it to just battle income that way players can still make money from trade unmolested. they can then choose to donate to clan if they wished.

but yes a guild bank/wallet should already be setup the tax system should just be a added feature we talk about.

regarding the leader leaving with your loot realy nothing you can do there. i find it highly unlikly to happen due to the bad rap he would have. also he would basicly be a enemy of the state. no player in his nation would trust him ever again. he would have to move nations and by then he would loose all said gold.

Things like this would get around fast considering size of each nation. 

maybe pirates would be more likly to have this happen and more open to not making him a enemy of the state but i think most others would put a black mark on his name.

so what i saying is that yes there is a chance it could happen but i highly dout it will

The problem here is, you can trade all the gold to a second account. Delete your main. Create the main under other name new and trade him back the gold. And tatata noboby knows you anymore.

The would have to implemt that every account has only one name. Maybe steam name.

What masochistic type of player would want someone else to collect a free salary for doing nothing? If you are a leader worthy of something from your members they would give it to you. This sounds like a way to scam desperate loners into funding a group who includes them for profit. You get a 6 group of pvpers who recruit 20 mission running newbies and they collect a profit off of those missioners desire to be included in a l33t guild. The more newbies you collect the more presence you have which magnifies the effect. And since no one wants to leave the friends they make or go back to being solo and untagged they are extorted to no end.

Horrible idea. It allows the insidious intelligence of some to scam and extort the inept and desperate.

Edited by Sea Nettle

guys i do worry about u all. this system has worked quite well in eve and yes you will randomly have the demon come in who will rort the system but i just dont feel the negtive out ways the postive. 

your talking about 1 rare case this could be miss used yet look at all the postive ways it could be used as well. i ant suggesting take rates at 75% me i would suggest a simple 10% tax thats not changeable ether the tax is on or off.  (add into my other suggestion that leaders should be voted on and any one who missues the system would be voted out any way)

that gold could go to crafting player ships or paying for port battles.

now your statment that you would enslave newbies to pay for your PVP is kinda 1 sided dont you think?

are you part of the group that feels every thing should be given to them and they should not have to give anything back?

i belive in the idea of working as a team towards a goal for all. i ant out to make a pyramid scheme for my benfit.

but i also dont beleive a guild should be made up of 4 or 5 people putting in tons of gold and the other 45 players benfiting from it...

lets be frank here the end goals for this game require gold and lots of it. how are you ment to achive that with donations alone? and why should those who donate have to suffer why others who choose not to get the easy life with the befits?

Hello,

I think it should be great if in game there was a tax system on trading and contraband possibility. For example: a player who's trading can decides if make legal trading paying (only as example) 10% tax when buying (not in selling), or he can decides to buy the goods as contraband goods without paying taxes. So we can have contraband ships not only in NPSs but also in human players and they can be attacked as contrabanding NPCs.

The gold of taxes can go to the admiralty or to cities for build come productions structure, or to a "clan bank" of the player's clan and used in buying conquer flags or in the better way the clan will decide