Game-Labs Forum

Expectation - Lower them so you won't be dissappointed

All of this hype I know for me usually results in wild dreams of the perfect game and pretty much being in the real deal from behind a chair.

I suggest you guys make sure your expectations are not of a finished game and certainly not of a perfect ship simulator that is engrossing with a huge storyline to boot.

I expect sea trials may just be for testing ships in a pretty bland sea level.

Maybe we will just get to test a man holding on to a plank of wood?

Who needs me to tie them to a chair before they log in so they don't scream at the slightest thing percieved as wrong?

In another forum there was a guy who measures the games quality by whether the french royalist flag is flown for the correct era french ship!

I love that, but I don't expect that. I mean some things need to be sacrificed for gameplay... like being able to use ships on different sides they were not historically on.

P.S. I have no idea how its actually going to work though.

• Like 2

This is good advice, and it applies to any early-access game/software you sign up to test.

As long as Game-Labs state their intentions openly (that this is a testing build, not a complete product), there's no real issue.

If some mouth-breather wants to throw a tantrum because Santassima Trinidad's gunwales are three inches shorter than displayed on some old plate he saw while on holiday in Spain, well, that's his problem isn't it?

The Voice of Reason will always stand firm and weather the Storm of Stupid, no matter how loudly they wail.

He raises a good point. Do remember the Sea Trials are essentially what the current testers have been doing except with a larger population. The focus will be to fine tune the combat and sailing characteristics of the ships as well as finding any remaining bugs. Don't expect a massive open world, missions, etc....It's all about mechanics and gameplay. I'm sure the developers will provide a list of things to focus on once it goes live.

What I have noticed about Game-Labs and the Dev's of Naval Action

ON the Down side: They are slow and Meticulous (taking or showing extreme care about minute details; precise)

ON the Up side:They are slow and Meticulous (taking or showing extreme care about minute details; precise) 

They want to make your experience as real as possible  So Do Not expect to See the open world 30-60 days after you enter sea trials.  These Guys are Perfectionists; something one does not see very often.

chillly willy

Oh no

i thought we were fast!.. we have more content than Star Citizen with 100x less developers.

You have more content than MWO, and that game been "released" for over a year now.

And you did it with about 1/4 the developers... and probably a small fraction of the budget too.

Make MWO beta has been out for over 2-1/2 years......I know I was in closed Beta...in some ways MWO is still in Beta.. :o

I myself am a gold founder and CB veteran, as well as serving a short stint as a Secret Squirrel... lets just say I shut the door on that game a long time ago.

I have far more hope for the more recent projects - by looking at the Developers first, then the game.

So far I'm happy with what Game-Labs has shown - which is in many ways ground-breaking in itself.  The overall quality (for an Alpha) seems rather stunning.

My expectations are based entirely on the videos we have seen posted and the quite explicit information that has been posted on these forums. If I am able to make even a minor contribution to the success and final release of this game I will be well satisfied. I expect very little and not much more very soon. The best things come to those who wait......patience on the other hand I cannot entirely promise, but that struggle will be purely in my head.....

All of this hype I know for me usually results in wild dreams of the perfect game and pretty much being in the real deal from behind a chair.

I suggest you guys make sure your expectations are not of a finished game and certainly not of a perfect ship simulator that is engrossing with a huge storyline to boot.

QFT.

Like admin officially said - "If you prefer to play a ready game it is better to wait for the Early Access or later.".

Being a regular Alpha/Beta tester for other titles, I did dial back my expectations somewhat.

However, I'm very pleasantly surprised with what is essentially a single facet of a much bigger game.  The combat is really compelling and very deep (not to mention fun as hell).

Game-Labs, you fellas are building a winner here.  Stay on course, lads.

Have not been playing as much as i'd like. I'm still trying to unlock the Cutter. But damn i'm very happy to see where this game is heading.

I've had a couple of instances where i've asked people to 1vs1 duel me (being the last guy alive, or a last guy alive on the enemy team). It's great fun! I'm gonna be known as a duelling captain!

My attitude, from what I've seen so far, if they stick to their guns, they can have a very competitive title on their hands.  As Flip pointed out, it's only six of them.  Any modelers here or artists may want to consider lending a hand, perhaps in exchange for some perks.  Part time job towards something you love and would look spiffy on a resume ;)