Game-Labs Forum

Mod for protecting crew

Seems to me there are repairs for everything in a fight other than the crew.  Bigger ships are often brought to there knees by smaller ones simply by chipping away at the crew. There is no repair for this or no mods to add further protection or no on board doctor patching people up and sending them back. Should there not be some kind of defensive mod to help with this?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I think Barricades should be more than just a defensive/offensive boarding bonus.  It should provide additional protection from grape and splinters.  

I think it would be a good addition to that mod, and bring it back to the forefront of use.

I've advocated for this for the longest time. It is a permanent upgrade, which means they are fixed to the ship, to which they should be utilized easily enough for protection during grape and rakes. If they were not permanent upgrades, then I would see these possibly being "handheld shields" that would only be used in boarding; but they are indeed perms.

53 minutes ago, monk33y said:

The simplest solution to this problem I'd don't sail 1St/2nd rates alone 

I am not talking ships of the line. A 3rd rate or Ballona can be stern camped by a surprise, it may take a long time but he can just keep chipping away at the crew and it seems unbalanced that you can repair and protect almost everything else but crew.

17 minutes ago, monk33y said:

Did you try firing chain into his sails or trying to demast the suprise? 

I didn't relise on pve server you could do pvp, I was under impression you would fight the stupid AI!!

I think your missing the point. I am not asking how to play the game. I was in the surprise with a another surprise. We capped a ballona simply by stern camping. Yes you can shoot the masts of the smaller ship, but the whole point of my post was that you can fix the masts! You can repair sails, hull, leaks, rudder, you can fix anything but you cannot fix or replace or heal the crew in anyway. There is not even a mod to reduce crew loss to cannon fire. So my point is should there not be a mod or repair for crew like a doctor on board or as others have said help from barricades?

Edited by Fletch67

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

I think Barricades should be more than just a defensive/offensive boarding bonus.  It should provide additional protection from grape and splinters.  

I think it would be a good addition to that mod, and bring it back to the forefront of use.

Barricades are already really good.

Should be another upgrade, but..  Or..  What about just decreasing crew damage?

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

I agree.  At Least give a 5% to stern and bow armor.

Avoid being stern raked. If you are sailing a large ship alone, and you get attacked by a couple smaller frigates with skilled captains, you should be VERY afraid. I have used a surprise to chain the sails, and then kill hundreds of crew off of a Bellona before (granted, the skipper of that ship was not doing a very good job of keeping me off his stern, and I believe he was most likely sailing a poorly built Bellona [tank fit, should never be sailed alone in the first place]). If you want to sail a large ship alone, you had better know what you are doing and have a darn fine build that can move when needed to. I have a couple Bellonas that I can confidently sail alone, I have even camped the Pirate capital with one :ph34r:; but the only way I feel comfortable doing that is knowing I can turn well, have good speed, and still angle armor well enough to tank some damage.

More to the point of the post, having a magical "recover crew" button is a big no-no. I'm assuming that of the crew I take out of battle in a rake/grape broadside, about 30% of those are dead, with 70% being carried below to the ship's doctor for attention (works out just fine if you run the doctor perk). It would make sense for a few of them to return to combat (bandaged up, splinters removed, ready to fight again), but I'm not sure how many that should be....30% of the 70% that survive? I don't know. However, I don't like the idea of hitting a button and getting a whole bunch of crew back...it should be a process that happens over time: a certain amount of the injured men can be recovered in battle, with x number appearing per x minutes since they were "killed" (injured).

Just my opinion.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cpt.{NPG}WillisPVP2 said:

Avoid being stern raked. If you are sailing a large ship alone, and you get attacked by a couple smaller frigates with skilled captains, you should be VERY afraid. I have used a surprise to chain the sails, and then kill hundreds of crew off of a Bellona before (granted, the skipper of that ship was not doing a very good job of keeping me off his stern, and I believe he was most likely sailing a poorly built Bellona [tank fit, should never be sailed alone in the first place]). If you want to sail a large ship alone, you had better know what you are doing and have a darn fine build that can move when needed to. I have a couple Bellonas that I can confidently sail alone, I have even camped the Pirate capital with one :ph34r:; but the only way I feel comfortable doing that is knowing I can turn well, have good speed, and still angle armor well enough to tank some damage.

More to the point of the post, having a magical "recover crew" button is a big no-no. I'm assuming that of the crew I take out of battle in a rake/grape broadside, about 30% of those are dead, with 70% being carried below to the ship's doctor for attention (works out just fine if you run the doctor perk). It would make sense for a few of them to return to combat (bandaged up, splinters removed, ready to fight again), but I'm not sure how many that should be....30% of the 70% that survive? I don't know. However, I don't like the idea of hitting a button and getting a whole bunch of crew back...it should be a process that happens over time: a certain amount of the injured men can be recovered in battle, with x number appearing per x minutes since they were "killed" (injured).

Just my opinion.

Very agreeable.

22 hours ago, Hodo said:

I have posted it several times and even made a thread on it in this group. It should give you a bonus defense against grape/crew kills since that was part of the purpose of putting them on a ship not just for boarding.  Maybe when they bring the new crafting system and you want to build a ship with them put in they can give the bonus. I put them on ships even if the ship isn't planned to be a 100% boarder cause the added protection helps if some one else boards you.

• Like 1