Game-Labs Forum

Wot I would do is...

Naval Action was at its best when it was striving for Naval realism. Naval Immersion. And then the disastrous Perk-patch came out and you can see on the Steam tracker that that is where a huge dip tok place… and then continued down.

Naval Action needs to get back to its root! F-ing Epic PVP fights with realism in them! The ocean was a BIG place! And battles between two ships were often over before anyone ever knew they took place. Just your ship, your wind knowledge, and your gunnery skills!
Everything else is just cosmetic, or worse… Destructive.

• No player-AI fleets.
  • No physics defying mechanics
  • Get rid of the crossed sword so Revenge Gankers actually have to hunt for the fight without visual cues.
  • Temporarily disable ALL perks, until they can be reworked realisticly so that the dev team can...

Focus on;

• ship combat mechanics
  • Historically believable port battle mechanics with; land / fort / team-order's mechanics.
  • Have fair and realistic battle tagging mechanic!

Naval action is combat!

Naval Action is Historical Brand (™) small-ship piracy!

Naval Action is Epic flotilla battles!

Say "Aye!" If ye agree! [_]P

• Like 13

Although nice in theory it is vital that players don't have to use many hours to find pvp battles. It should be easy to find and participate in pvp. 

Longer joining times, pre planned pbs, hot spot areas or fixed rosters etc. Anything is welcome in my book. 

I find the game boring now compared with a year ago. 

Hence I don't really play it. Pvp playability is simply too poor implemented. IMHO.

I still think that battles needs to be open

for reinforcements so that it's easy to get into the fray. When battles close quick then it's very hard to join a fight. Hence players move to other games.

I did this myself. 

The game was fun when it had 15 min timers. Fights could develop and when you where near you own waters it was safer. 

Oh. And we were 2000 players online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox2run said:

Oh. And we were 2000 players online.

LOL. 
Fox2run, you post this every single time you have a chance to, but you forget to mention that this was right after the game had been released on Steam Early Access. 

I'd post all my counterarguments to your opinion, but seeing as i have done that 10 times already i can't be bothered anymore. You tend to ignore it all anyway. 

On 12/26/2016 at 0:34 AM, Angus McGregor said:

The single largest roadblock to plentiful PvP right now is population.

I understand that the game isn't ready for prime time yet, but it's a shame it missed the year end sale.

No.

The simpliest way to make this game a pvp active is to create conflict for territory and economy. War between natuons needs to be a storyline controlled. Killing an enemy gives incentives. Make Caribbean a local war as it was mainly. Allow clans to take ports and hold them as their capital / base of operations. Intro trade winds between prosperous regions or tradeposts so there are known trade routes. Allow players from the same nation to trade using nation wide global market from nation owned tradeposts. Buying / selling remotely, but still moving staff physically.

Make regional ship bonuses according to regional woods (where woods are from not where ship was built). Live Oak from Baracoa gives built strength, Live Oak from Nuevitas strong hold etc. Make woods location away from capitals. Make conflict zones that are easy to get to for all nations. 

• Like 1

On 25/12/2016 at 7:34 PM, TommyShelby said:

LOL. 
Fox2run, you post this every single time you have a chance to, but you forget to mention that this was right after the game had been released on Steam Early Access. 

I'd post all my counterarguments to your opinion, but seeing as i have done that 10 times already i can't be bothered anymore. You tend to ignore it all anyway. 

I dont mind. I dont play the game anymore, so I dont care. What you have is a MMO without any pvp in it. So its kind of a solo-MMO with a few hundred players online. Since last spring when the game was playable, most players waited for this golden new patch that should save the game. It never came and the game died. Its not THAT complicated.

On 12/25/2016 at 6:26 PM, fox2run said:

The game was fun when it had 15 min timers. Fights could develop and when you where near you own waters it was safer. 

On 12/25/2016 at 8:34 PM, TommyShelby said:

Maybe it was all in the dream, but the game did not release with 15 min timers. And there was no land in battles. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fox2run said:

I dont mind. I dont play the game anymore, so I dont care. What you have is a MMO without any pvp in it. So its kind of a solo-MMO with a few hundred players online. Since last spring when the game was playable, most players waited for this golden new patch that should save the game. It never came and the game died. Its not THAT complicated.

No let me fix this for you: We have an open world sandbox MMO. You are looking for an arena game with an arcade combat model, aka WoW or WoT. Naval Action is not your type of game it is not THAT complicated. 

BTW maybe you don't realize there are PVP events 4x daily in different areas of the map to join and find players to fight? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, admin said:

Maybe it was all in the dream, but the game did not release with 15 min timers. And there was no land in battles. 

No but not long after the release the timers were changed. 

You know, as well as i do, that player numbers will peak for the first month or two on steam. Then, no matter the game, they will drop drastically. 

His argument about instaclose battles/2 min timers killing the game because of gank fleets is a horrible argument. 
15/10/5 minute timers created "organized gank fleets". They would bait/attack you with 1-2 ships making it look like a fair fight. Then those 2 ships would keep at range while tagging you. 1 minute before the battle closed 10-20 ships would join the battle. 
I had that happen to me several times, it was so bad that every time i engaged someone i would stay at max range tagging them untill the battle closed. 

Nonetheless, if we go back to those long timers i will make sure to show everyone exactly how bad they are for gameplay. (I hate ganking but if it is the only way for me to show you how bad those timers were then i will do it. And i will encourage every single person i know that plays Naval Action to do the same.) 

6 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

No let me fix this for you: We have an open world sandbox MMO. You are looking for an arena game with an arcade combat model, aka WoW or WoT. Naval Action is not your type of game it is not THAT complicated. 

BTW maybe you don't realize there are PVP events 4x daily in different areas of the map to join and find players to fight? 

No. I dont look for an arena game. But I am looking for a game with action and easy access to battles. One of the key-features for me was that I could take my ship, sail out and have a fight, help friends in need and fight as a nation. This core mechanic has been ruled out. Hence I look for other games. I'm sad about it, but guess I can't win every time. Have fun on this pirate-game.

6 hours ago, TommyShelby said:

Then, no matter the game, they will drop drastically. 

Actually, as someone demonstrated in another discussion… that is not the case. Some games, actually go up.

So we should not settle for "everyone else blows it, so why can't we?"

Nay, we should be striving for, "lets be awesome!"

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

Make signaling perk a rule for all ow engagement. 

The ganked will have at least the chance to get some reinforcements and the hunters wont became the hunted because the BR gets equal for both sides. 

I may be way off base here, but I'm wondering if the signaling perk is being used as a test.

If nearly everyone likes instances to stay open until the BR is balanced, then most will use the perk and the devs can safely make it standard behavior. If hardly anyone uses it, then open instances aren't nearly as popular as some would like to believe. If the reality is that some like open instances and some don't, then the perk gives it to those that want it without forcing it on everyone.

15 minute timers, did we ever have 15 minute timers?  We had 60 minute timers at first, and that was a gank problem when we had less than 50 people playing peak time on the weekends.  The timers were reduced to 10 minutes, and the gank problem was just as bad, even maybe worse because we had more players than the 50 people so the gank opportunities were more.  Same thing at 5 minutes.  And 2 minutes.  Now if you gank you have to sail together.  Now if you get ganked you are most likely being careless and alt-tabbed out of the game.

Gank problem? 

You mean uneven fights?

Well... There where good fights and bad fights but there where fights. And nation organization on all levels.

Now it's like a dead fish compared to before. Pvp events is a way to compensate for missing action. 

This is a wargame that turned into a trading - pirate game. 

At least the title could be changed as well.

On 12/29/2016 at 5:04 AM, fox2run said:

No. I dont look for an arena game. But I am looking for a game with action and easy access to battles. One of the key-features for me was that I could take my ship, sail out and have a fight, help friends in need and fight as a nation. This core mechanic has been ruled out. Hence I look for other games. I'm sad about it, but guess I can't win every time. Have fun on this pirate-game.

There you go again contradicting yourself again - fixed. 

Let's see, helping friends and nation - hmm - we just had a 25 v 25 port battle Thursday at 8:30 pm EST off the Florida Keys. This included multiple battles outside the port in case you don't like port battles. Lots of nations around to fight with and all at a scheduled time - what could be easier than that! 

Then there's the PVP events again at a scheduled time you can help your friends in battle! But I forgot you don't play anymore...