Game-Labs Forum

Cannon recoil & crew animations

Was wondering wether animating cannon recoil & crew animations for moving and reloading the guns on the ships cannot be done without hurting framerate too much ?

Reason I'm asking is because I really believe it would be a fantastic aesthetic and immersion generating feature to have.

I have no knowledge regarding the possibilites with the Unity Engine and how it stacks up with engines such as CryEngine 3 where I know it could be done without much trouble, but if it's possible I think it should be done - and perhaps be a toggable feature so that those with less powerful PC's aren't hit hard on framerates :)

What do you think?

not done yet because of perfromance reason.

You didn't really answer the question. Are you implying it will be possible to have cannon recoil & crew animations without having it hurt the framerate at some point? :lol:

we switched off recoil (was in early builds) due to draw calls. they were eating too much performance. as our goal is a stable and workable 25 v 25 we have to sacrifice something

later we will come back to this. 

Ah ok, I see, that's what I was wondering about. Very good to hear that you're going to look into it again later on though, as I believe it is a rather important feature  :)

Just two further quick questions though:

1. Is this an issue that any other engine would've been better at dealing with? i.e. is it a limitation of the Unity Engine?

2. Would it be solved by converting the engine to 64 bit ?

• 1 month later...

I have no knowledge regarding the possibilites with the Unity Engine and how it stacks up with engines such as CryEngine 3 where I know it could be done without much trouble, but if it's possible I think it should be done - and perhaps be a toggable feature so that those with less powerful PC's aren't hit hard on framerates :)

What do you think?

Unity is no where near Cry Engine. Unity is primarily used for mobile games or browser based games. Its performance is good, but optimization is everything in any game. The technical challenge of Unity is no ones ever made a game with a Open World of note in it. I hope NA devs are the first!

Except for Kerbal Space Program maybe, it has a whole solar system using the Unity engine, but it's single player so no network traffic to speak of. There is a multiplayer mod and the devs said they are working on multiplayer, but I remain conservative on my expectations for it. Also there is Satellite Reign as well on Unity. But yeah, Unity has always been more popular in the mobile market, but I'm impressed with how far it's being developed the last few years. Plus they have really attractive licensing.

I play a lot of flightsims and one thing they suffer from is that aircraft generate a lot of network traffic with all the variables they have. Much more than a fps. I'd imagine Naval Action is in the same boat with a fair bit of network syncing to be done between the ships. As fair as stable networking I find NA to be really good so far considering when you think about everything that needs to occur in the background to keep everything synced. Early days yet though, I'm interested to see just how far Game-Labs can push it.  

Except for Kerbal Space Program maybe, it has a whole solar system using the Unity engine, but it's single player so no network traffic to speak of. There is a multiplayer mod and the devs said they are working on multiplayer, but I remain conservative on my expectations for it. Also there is Satellite Reign as well on Unity. But yeah, Unity has always been more popular in the mobile market, but I'm impressed with how far it's being developed the last few years. Plus they have really attractive licensing.

I play a lot of flightsims and one thing they suffer from is that aircraft generate a lot of network traffic with all the variables they have. Much more than a fps. I'd imagine Naval Action is in the same boat with a fair bit of network syncing to be done between the ships. As fair as stable networking I find NA to be really good so far considering when you think about everything that needs to occur in the background to keep everything synced. Early days yet though, I'm interested to see just how far Game-Labs can push it.

Yea but kerbal open world is basically a empty skybox, there's no npc space ships or coasts and cities. There are like 7 planets?

I'm thinking that if they make it a toggable feature then those who don't have powerful enough PC's won't be affected, whilst those who do have a powerful PC will be able to enjoy better graphics - thats how it works in most games anyway :)

This I think would be an ideal long term solution - not really important right now, but will add a lot for those who want it, while taking nothing away form those who don't.

Spinning chainshot will be done. 

Recoil was in game but was switched off during optimization campaign. Someday it might return for high end systems as a setting. 

Lower decks automatically stop shooting (abstraction of closed) if they heel to much into water. If we move this burden to a player, there will be 10x more unexpected sinkings in battle ;)

Spinning chainshot will be done. 

Recoil was in game but was switched off during optimization campaign. Someday it might return for high end systems as a setting. 

Lower decks automatically stop shooting (abstraction of closed) if they heel to much into water. If we move this burden to a player, there will be 10x more unexpected sinkings in battle ;)

What about bar shot, will we see this ingame? This was designed specifically for cutting down masts during close range engagements.