Game-Labs Forum

Countdown to enter port

Ok so everyone hates the spy who pops outa port to watch you till his timer runs out then ports back in. Or the big tough first rate who pops out to scare you till you tag him then he hides in port.

Someone in nation chat had a good idea. Why isnt there a countdown for you to reenter port? Soon as you pop out it takes 25 seconds before you can pop back in ? Nomore spies or alts or trolls.

They would have to fight !

Edit.....this would be for if you pop outa same port under a certain amount of time. Not the first exit of port.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 1

Maybe after the first exit/reenter there is a countdown. If I pop out of Port and check my surroundings only to see several enemies outside I go back in and do other things.

Besides, then you would have gank fleets hovering their mouse over port exit to click and kill whatever hapless trader comes out. Leaving port and setting sail without checking makes you foolish, you get capped it is your own fault. Geting tagged and capped because you stuck your nose out is a no skill seal clubbing.

• Like 1

Maybe after the first exit/reenter there is a countdown. If I pop out of Port and check my surroundings only to see several enemies outside I go back in and do other things.

Besides, then you would have gank fleets hovering their mouse over port exit to click and kill whatever hapless trader comes out. Leaving port and setting sail without checking makes you foolish, you get capped it is your own fault. Geting tagged and capped because you stuck your nose out is a no skill seal clubbing.

Yes that's what i ment....ill edit.

Well... it is a friendly port. I am sure there would be people at the port to tell you if anyone was outside in real life.

With the port fortifications coming up it will also be protected so this is not needed.

Its needed because players sit there till thier safty timers run out then go back into port if they cant find someone to gank. Im sure the shore batteries will not attck them under this safty timer. Plus free ports will not fire on anyone.

The thing is, when you would be in a port in real life you would see the three gankers in front of the port and wont left anyway. On the turning side the ganker would see the forest of masts in that port.

So, this hopping in and hopping out of a port is not so fun, but at least it's just the look you would have from the port outside of it. And that is quite realsitic because in real life you would recognize that big hostile fleet in front of your port.

To prefend this hopping what would it be like if you can see what is happening in an little circle in front of the port? In this case you prefend the playsers jumping out of port for just looking and so you can give the 25 second-penalty to the 1st rates just trolling.

For the second point, the forest of masts, what would it be like if you wont see the random pier but several little random ships which size is addicted to the number of ships inside the port( the random ships - until one dozend, six random ships - two dozend and so on)? In this scenario the brave scout does have really something to do than just looking whether any newbie ignored the "STAY IN THE PORT!"-order.

Edited by Jonathan Arlington

Actually IRL the gankers would slip into port under colours, probably neutral, claiming to be who they ain't and taking their chances. They might even, during the night cut some lines, drop some fires and overall render a fleet immobile or underprepared for another month.

But hey :) it is a game.

The thing is, when you would be in a port in real life you would see the three gankers in front of the port and wont left anyway. On the turning side the ganker would see the forest of masts in that port.

So, this hoping in and hoping out of a port is not so fun, but at least it's just the look you would have from the port outside of it. And that is quite realsitic because in real life there would recognize that big hostile fleet in front of your port.

To prefend this hoping what would it be like if you can see what is happening in an little circle in front of the port? In this case you prefend the playsers jumping out of port for just looking and so you can give the 25 second-penalty to the 1st rates just trolling.

For the second point, the forest of masts, what would it be like if you wont see the random pier but several little random ships which size is addicted to the number of ships inside the port? In this scenario the brave scout does have really something to do than just looking whether any newbie ignored the "STAY IN THE PORT!"-order.

If you hop out and see a fleet then go back in. This is if you keep doing it in a very short amount of time because your trying to juke someone into a gank or youre spying.

Just the other day it happene two times. Caught a US player killing newbs and i toook after him but he attacked an ai trade ship and the damn wind kept me from reaching him. Well i was waiting for him to exit battle but his alt or his friends alt , a 1st lvl player in a trader lynx, sat in our port watching me. Every time someone clicked to attack him he emtered port and then came back out. So his newb killing friend eventually got away because i left.

Same happened with a brit at a free port. He jumped a trade ship i jumped in but way behind him and he exited screen but his 1st level friend sat in port free from attack forever and watched my for an hour till I said F it and left.

Thats just stupid and gamey imo and could easily be fixed.

Actually IRL the gankers would slip into port under colours, probably neutral, claiming to be who they ain't and taking their chances. They might even, during the night cut some lines, drop some fires and overall render a fleet immobile or underprepared for another month.

Wouldn't it be nice to hoist or not hoist whatever colors you wanted ha ha.

Actually IRL the gankers would slip into port under colours, probably neutral, claiming to be who they ain't and taking their chances. They might even, during the night cut some lines, drop some fires and overall render a fleet immobile or underprepared for another month.

That's another point we discussed in our clan. I would love to see some pirates in false flags. Because that would do the trick for pirates to enjoy pirate mechanics not nation ones. But that's just my opinion. ;-)

i tried to create a picture of what I have in minde. Not the best but the idea should be clear. Well, at least I guess ...

gallery_21330_358_578885.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan Arlington
  • Like 1

The main problem is that you cannot see what is in front of the port, without jumping out. So jumping out and in shall not be punished.

You can jump out safely. This is if you jump out, go back in then IMMEDIATELY jump back out, wait for your protection timer to run out then jump in then IMMEDIATELY jump back out and so on.

If a person jumps in and out within a certain time he simply gets a few secnds added to keep him from entering port.

This way spy and gankers will get caught and killed. Thats all.

I really think this idea would be best for Free Ports. That is were most of the prairy doging is going on. If its a freindly port you should be able to jump in and out without penalty to an extent. Think it might be a little better to make it were you couldnt leave that port after jumping in and out to much for a set time. That would cause a lot more harm for some people then not being able to jump back in.

I think people know who leave and come in a port.  Basically this whole camping could be, that someone in the harbor is just waiting someone to leave etc.

I think it would be nice if in a port we would have a view from/to the port.  Could be heavy for the server.  But would not need any new port graphics really.  Just the same screen, but with all those buttons.  This way you could just see who is coming/leaving the port, which would be realistic I suppose.

i cant see thebeing able to see around the port while inside it as a good idea. that then allows the gankers to just sit in port instead of poping in and out they just sit in the port and look around till they see a target that they want coming or going and then they attack. Nothing really changes then and except now its easier for the gankers to play it safe.

I think people know who leave and come in a port. Basically this whole camping could be, that someone in the harbor is just waiting someone to leave etc.

I think it would be nice if in a port we would have a view from/to the port. Could be heavy for the server. But would not need any new port graphics really. Just the same screen, but with all those buttons. This way you could just see who is coming/leaving the port, which would be realistic I suppose.

Im trying to prevent ganking and spies not make it easier.

The only thing I'd like is to see battle tag circles even if other nations tagging NPC. Nothing is more geh than popping out from port only for an invisible tag from an enemy on a NPC drags me into battle. I should be allowed to prevent being dragged into an battle that I cannot see.

Also, the battle start timer seriously needs increased. Nothing sucks more than the battle finally loading after 20+ seconds and you and your mate are already demasted by carronade masters that "seem" to have aim bots that not a single shot misses your masts.