Game-Labs Forum

To Merge or Not To Merge?

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PvP Servers be Merged?

• Yes, PvP2 should merge into PvP1 (like PvP3 did, and as initially planned)
    • Yes, PvP1 should merge into PvP2 (for better average ping worldwide)
    • No, leave the PvP servers as is / I play on PvE server / allow asset transfer instead
    • Other, please explain
    • Yes, they should merge, but I don't care which one merges into the other

FWIW, if your using the outage as justification, the timing of it lined up perfectly with the Kerbs attack, which was the biggest DDoS attack in history, and effected pretty much every major CDN in the world. 620GB/s will do that....

http://www.businessinsider.com/akamai-brian-krebs-ddos-attack-2016-9

It had nothing to do with naval action. So yea, nothing new here.

Sorry to hear about Krebs - he does good work.  I agree with you - I don't see how the recent DDS relates to this discussion. 

I used to disagree with doomed on this topic but after this many months I finally agree with him. I also went to pvp1 for about a month. I can tell you without a doubt that there is lag in bigger port battles on pvp1 for me. I'm very close to the center of the north american continent. Shot delay mostly. I had a taste of pvp1 and I don't wanna play there. Nothing against the people, they were great for the most part but I hate lag. If north americans came back to pvp2 i'm sure we'd all have a ball again. If pvp2 merges into pvp1 i'm probably done.

• Like 2

I used to disagree with doomed on this topic but after this many months I finally agree with him. I also went to pvp1 for about a month. I can tell you without a doubt that there is lag in bigger port battles on pvp1 for me. I'm very close to the center of the north american continent. Shot delay mostly. I had a taste of pvp1 and I don't wanna play there. Nothing against the people, they were great for the most part but I hate lag. If north americans came back to pvp2 i'm sure we'd all have a ball again. If pvp2 merges into pvp1 i'm probably done.

Pvp2 could never offer the weekend 1000 man action we get on pvp1. I'm not ready to give that up yet. Sorry to hear about your ping issues. I have not had any troubles yet.

Pvp2 could never offer the weekend 1000 man action we get on pvp1. I'm not ready to give that up yet. Sorry to hear about your ping issues. I have not had any troubles yet.

That's probably true Bach, but so far as I can gather by comments from others, I think that most people who play regularly on pvp2 don't have a lot of problems with the consistent numbers, and most are probably of the mindset that it will increase whenever it goes final release (let's hope - I like the numbers but also would like to see more on regularly).   ( <--- Let me edit that to say "more unique players on regularly, not alts" ).

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 2

Wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have a dozen different posts about the same topic that the devs stated as it is NOT going to happen.

Actually the devs said they would a while back in one of there patch plans.

If PVP2 merges, I will probably quit the game. Pad ping sucks.

I play on 300 ping and I'm in Australia.

No for merge with pvp1.

Yes for AUSTRALASIA based pvp2

The ping for us here in Aussie/NZ is just sucks.  Even on pvp2 we get 200-300 ms. I tried pvp1 and it was not playable for Aussie/NZ players.

They should have pvp1 more US centralized/eastern so most people in US getting an averagely same ping

They should have Oceania based pvp2 server so asia, assie, nz while us west coast gets decent ping too.

• Like 2

Have i ever told you, youre my best friend? My favorite person in the forums, and quite possible the greatest person alive? ?

If not well its all true.

• Like 1

Wasting your time Tarranis. It's not about logic anymore. It's about hard headedness and egos.

The facts as of today.

I have played both servers for months at a time. I have full gear and bps on both servers. I can easily play either I want to. The population in US time zones essentially matches so by population there is no difference between the two servers.

So what real difference is there?

Access to the EU player base stabilizes the map more. Open up both maps and just look at the dispersion of nations. Doesn't take long to notice how lop sided pvp2 is compared to pvp1.

EU players can result in 1000 pop weekends for occasion grand scale play. It really livens up the weekends.

EU players result in port battle time shift to off hours. This is NOT good for US time players and is a negative to pvp1 use. However the conquest system is about to change so not sure of how this will be in the future.

ECON game in pvp1 is more real as you compete with over a thousand other merchants across the 24 hour clock. Pvp2 is more just crafting without competition for resources.

Other than that the two servers are mostly the same.

Pvp1 offers more variety and options of game play in all nations.

Pvp2 offers more port battle contests in limited nations as long as players set port timers in play times.

In the end if the servers merge US players can still do everything they are now doing in pvp1 and pvp2 but with less crafting abilities. Not much change otherwise. For those in this forum complaining about Tarranis bringing this up again? Look at the vote. Currently it's 26 votes for merge to 11 votes for no merge. Even amoung the small crowd that even cares about this issue it 2-1 FOR MERGING. No one has ever agreed in the previous threads in majority that NOT merging was better. You just wore us down with the drama and we stopped talking about.

26 votes ...i bet almost all of them play on the PvP1 server. The only thing ppl from PvP1 and the devs need to understand is that if PvP2 merges into the PvP1 on a European server, your numbers will emphatically NOT increase, because USA players will quit the game. So our "little player base" (as PvP1 ppl call us) will not put up with a 300 ping that on a regular basis suffers massive lag spikes of 1-2k+. It is not fun. It is not even acceptable. I was just on the PvE server last night testing this and nearly every broadside I fired missed half the ship about half of the time. Some times I was able to fire early enough to not miss, but other times I fired early enough and still missed because an even larger lag spike delayed my broadside. (This had absolutely nothing to do with a gfx spike, as it remained the same fps.).And then, when trying to board, it is absolutely impossible to win. This makes ppl quit.

So, I will leave you with these two responses below, that are the exact same consensus of nearly all PvP2 players.....

If PVP2 merges, I will probably quit the game. Pad ping sucks.

And there you have it....end of story, finit, period, next subject.

(p.s. I didn't even bother answering this poll, as I'm sure many from PvP2 haven't because of the failed suggestive answers, or because we PvP2'ers are simply bored with this merger topic.)

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne
  • Like 2

Lol. Are you using a 14.4 modem or something. I play from the US and my ping averages right around 100. Jeheil I believe is Aussie and he is rather successful. I could care less if you guys merge but trying to ascribe problems that aren't there is kinda silly.

thise game is not so big to have 3 servers not even 3 pvp servers. and if you look how is easiest way to do it is to get pvp2 and pvp3 over to pvp1 the maps are to big for the rest of the servers unless they change the size of them.

You guys may bitch enough to finally get the devs to remove pvp2 players from the game but for now we are having fun. We you guys want us to not play is still beyond me but like blk i dont even try and argue it.

If the devs dont want people from north and south american playing thier game they will decide so why dont you guys stop with the endless polls and calls for a merge.

• Like 2

No for merge with pvp1.

Yes for AUSTRALASIA based pvp2

The ping for us here in Aussie/NZ is just sucks.  Even on pvp2 we get 200-300 ms. I tried pvp1 and it was not playable for Aussie/NZ players.

They should have pvp1 more US centralized/eastern so most people in US getting an averagely same ping

They should have Oceania based pvp2 server so asia, assie, nz while us west coast gets decent ping too.

Yes, the Australian network infrastructure is still on average far behind the rest of the modern world, slower.  Not sure when the whole system will be privatized but on average typically ranks low compared to us USA players and Europeans too.  But you do realize Koltes that all those who are sparring for a merger don't really care about you guys?  Logic would probably dictate that instead of looking for ways to lessen your experience in order to increase theirs, the whole community would be better off simply trying to increase numbers on all servers.  But hey, what's logic got to do with it?  Irrelevant.

Yes, the Australian network infrastructure is still on average far behind the rest of the modern world, slower. Not sure when the whole system will be privatized but on average typically ranks low compared to us USA players and Europeans too. But you do realize Koltes that all those who are sparring for a merger don't really care about you guys? Logic would probably dictate that instead of looking for ways to lessen your experience in order to increase theirs, the whole community would be better off simply trying to increase numbers on all servers. But hey, what's logic got to do with it? Irrelevant.

I cant figure out the obsession the European player server players have with wanting people they will never play with because of time zones to be on thier server.

The fact that in US prime times pvp2 has more players than pvp1 shows me the people behind it are not the Europeans but the players from the Americas who jumped ship because of rumors and are now embarrassed but rather than admit theu was wrong and come back to pvp2 they make up reasons to force us to be miserable with them.

• Like 3

First off, this topic is getting extremely old and quite frankly should be closed by the moderators. Secondly, your 3rd choice is not a proper answer as it forces us to give an answer with two parts where one part could be false for some. If they merge the server to a Euro server, 300+ Americans on the PvP2 server will simply quit the game because we cannot stand the lag issues, hence why we play on PvP2 and not on PvP1.

Mods, please close this post, as it is the 8 millionth post of the exact same thing.

AoywsiV.jpg?1

What lag issues? I played from hawaii with absolutely 0 issues, and since coming to the mainland, my ping has been even better

What lag issues? I played from hawaii with absolutely 0 issues, and since coming to the mainland, my ping has been even better

Maybe the lag issue i had. Or my friend from Washington or my friend from North Carolina, or my friend from Brazil.

Pvp1 is unplayable for us even when we just tries it as a test for possible merge.

• Like 2

Can one of the forum moderators please remove the poll from this thread - it is almost nonsensical. It allows for no choice to leave the servers unmerged because some players enjoy them unmerged.

And merge this thread with the other one on this same topic.

Edit : added link to other thread: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11582-merging-servers-at-next-wipe/

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

Read below, and read the post of mine that you quoted. Those lag issues. Not all of players in the US have a T1-T3 connection. Not all of us living in big cities with near direct access to nodes. Many of us cannot stand living in a city and therefore live in the suburbs or rural areas that have a good steady ping here in the US but a mere average ping to outside US servers that suffer massive lag spikes making that game worthless to us.

This should answer you question, even if previous answers somehow did not.

Maybe the lag issue i had. Or my friend from Washington or my friend from North Carolina, or my friend from Brazil.

Pvp1 is unplayable for us even when we just tries it as a test for possible merge.

Bingo.

Now, perhaps these issues should force a redesign of how and what data is passed around between gaming servers and clients. Maybe what clients send to servers and receive from servers should be re-examined. I've been calling for this for decades.

Poll stand at 37 to merge vs. 15 for no merge and 2 voting other.

So >66% of the players that bothered to answer this poll would prefer something other than what we have now.

Do we merge, do we not merge that isn't really a question for the devs. The devs aren't stopping us from merging ourselves anytime we want to. I would suggest some of us give a serious attempt to playing on the other server. If you don't have a terrible connection there are a lot of advantages to PvP play on pvp1. If you have a bad connection or like to play with low population or solo then there are advantages to Pvp2.

About the only reason I can think of for forcing a merge would be to increase large port battles in us time zones. With the new conquest system coming along I'm not even sure that matters anymore. I suspect the US server has a yearly lease so there really is no reason to merge until the lease is up.

Edited by Bach

So you are saying this poll is complete even though less than 5% of the total population has voted? 

I still think if they merge, they should merge EU into the US server.

Like any poll it's just a random sample. Since its been up for days it's reasonably a sample of what we would see from those actually concerned. There are bound to be many that just don't care to even follow the threads. I'm not sure you would want a total population vote since over 80% is currently on pvp1 and would most likely just vote to merge everything into pvp1 if pushed for a definite answer.

Merging pvp1 into pvp2 certainly wouldn't bother me any. I play from California and play on pvp1 now. I still think that from a bussiness perspective there is probably no reason to force a merge until the server lease is up. About the only thing left out would be a true test of US vs. Euro trends on one big server when the US actually has a substantial population. I'm not sure if that would even be valuable but I could see where it might effect the port battle time determination mechanics being developed.

Yes, I agree that it is old.  That said, it is the result of expectations that were set in later April and that have not yet been followed through.  Many have speculated at the outcome, I just would like to see a resolution: merger or chance to transfer w/ clear expectations.  This is a simple matter of product management by the developers.

they have already said that their will be a xfer option coming before launch for people on pvp2 to move to pvp1

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16325-pvp2/

Edited by squedage

they have already said that their will be a xfer option coming before launch for people on pvp2 to move to pvp1

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16325-pvp2/

Yes, and if anything, they should instead be focused on allowing users in pvp1 to move stuff back to pvp2 instead if their is no longer any intention of merging.

• Like 2

Can one of the forum moderators please remove the poll from this thread - it is almost nonsensical. It allows for no choice to leave the servers unmerged because some players enjoy them unmerged.

And merge this thread with the other one on this same topic.

Edit : added link to other thread: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11582-merging-servers-at-next-wipe/

A bit of a necro link there - that poll you reference took place in early march, when we had 3 pvp servers.

Also, 77% folks voting were in favor back then... with 471 votes cast.  The present poll is at 67% with only 61 votes cast - which is still a strong support in favor of merging the servers.

Edited by TaranisPrime