Game-Labs Forum

Idea for new wind system

Wind system changes  

54 members have voted

1. 1. The current wind system should change

• Yes like you suggested
    • Yes but not as you suggest but more like .......(comment)
    • No it's good like this (explain please)
  2. 2. Wind direction in OW should stay the same

• Yes
    • No, it should be more random and shouldn't be global
    • No, it should be more random but stay global
    • No, it should stay predictable but not global
  3. 3. The wind speed system should change

• Yes, there should be different wind speeds and wind speed shouldn't be global
    • Yes, there should be different wind speeds but keep it global
    • No, because this will make the game to slow/boring/ (comment)
    • No, because this will make the game to hard

How about every 15 minutes there's a "check" when the wind is going to move, where 25% of the time it takes an entirely random shift to any other direction. If 25% is too much, try 20% or 5% or whatever... but SOMETHING so that it isn't so static and boring.

Just something to vary up the wind so it simply doesn't circle around the map.

In the history of sailing, good or bad fortune regarding the wind sometimes had a huge impact on battles, and that is one thing totally lacking in this game.

• Like 5

This has had a fair bit of discussion since OW was introduced. If I recall the issue is that having it left in one direction for a long period of time would make journeys for players a lot longer, if their route would mean they'd have to sail into the wind at that time. Opinions are divided on the matter, with those wouldn't mind that wind changing every once in a while, and those that are worried that the little time they do have to play would be consumed just trying to get somewhere. The current system strikes some sort of balance until a better solution appears.

This has had a fair bit of discussion since OW was introduced. If I recall the issue is that having it left in one direction for a long period of time would make journeys for players a lot longer, if their route would mean they'd have to sail into the wind at that time. Opinions are divided on the matter, with those wouldn't mind that wind changing every once in a while, and those that are worried that the little time they do have to play would be consumed just trying to get somewhere. The current system strikes some sort of balance until a better solution appears.

My suggestion is not to keep it in one direction for any length at all. I would have the current, slow and steady clockwise rotation, but it would simply to give it some chance of being unpredictable occasionally. Definitely not static!  And the devs could set it so that if the "random shift" happened, then it can't happen for a half, or full hour, whatever is needed, so it isn't always wildly shifting.

I fully understand that there needs to be a balance to fun vs realism, I just find the predictable nature of the current system to be very boring and very unrealistic. A occasional variation (that isn't too impactful) would be a welcomed change IMO.

Edited by Arctander

I like the idea to RNG wind direction, but it should take into account that the trade winds are prevalently easterlies -- That's why Columbus took that latitude in the first place. The current continually rotating direction is nice for "balance" but frankly, I'm tired of the "must be balanced for game purposes" mind set. It's the age of sail  -- the wind is the wind; learn how to deal with it.

Just for the record, I am currently sailing under the US flag -- so predominately easterly winds work against me.

Edited by Challenge

OW, I think it makes sense to leave asis, but in port battles it would be nice to throw some variety in.  Even where the wind starts...  How many times have you started a PB and it's 'turn to 270 and head to the first tower'?

I would suggest giving the attackers options on waiting on attacking if the wind direction is unfavorable - maybe by showing direction and offering a reroll if it is bad.  Then maybe having a couple of different rerolls before having to attack no matter what on the third option..

With regular battles, that too would be nice to see some unpredictable wind shifts.

Edited by ElricTheTwo

Naval action is sold as a realistic naval combat game. I really love the game but I just can't and will not accept the current wind system. One direction all battle long (never the fear that the wind will turn against you or the hope it will turn in favor). In OW always the same speed and direction all over the world just ticking counter clockwise, it just makes everything predictable and alot more boring. IMO (and I think and know alot more players) this should be a high priority to change and therefore I would like to suggest a new system (to start with) we could use.

There should be 2 things that need to change:

1. Wind speed
To start with we should have 3 types of wind speed.
1. 10% of the time -Slow wind                                                     0.5-0.8x speed
2. 80% of the time -Normal wind (what we use to have)             1x speed
3. 10 % of the time - Fast wind (stormy)                                     Not sure what to do here (suggestions in comment)

Please don't take these percentage and numbers to seriously its just to explain my thoughts/idea 
These wind speeds should be different from place to place and there should be a chance (maybe very low) that the this speed can change at any moment.

2. Wind direction
As second: The wind direction system as it is now is to predictable and from time to time kinda boring. I think we must create a system where wind direction is different in different regions (and unpredictable)
Therefore we must create a new system where wind direction isn't global and will also change in a unpredictable way. Im not sure how this will work out in open world, but im sure this will add a whole new dimension to battles. The impact on a battle of a changing wind direction can be huge and just the idea that the wind can change at any moment will make the game a lot more exciting.

3. Wind speed and direction shouldn't be global
As said before: Wind speed and direction should be different around the map. Maybe to start with we can create wind regions/zones where you have different conditions. Addition to this system the OW wind direction and speed should be the same as in battle. So if you enter a battle at 68.7 15.5 or something and the wind direction is SE Slow wind you enter battle in these conditions. As soon as the wind changes in OW it also changes in battle.

The current wind in te carribean sea and gulf of mexico
14takuv.png

I really really really hope we get something like this, please devs put this on your to-do list: This should be a must have for a realistic exciting naval action game period
Any suggestions, idea's, additions etc etc are welcome please put them down in the comments.

Any people against a new wind system (in any form) please explain to me way, because I can think of 1 good reason, other than I like the current system (which I just cannot believe)

• Like 2

Number 1 is a fallacy. Very gamey and with no credibility.

Devs proposed variable winds a while ago based on realistic effects, from light ships up to ships of the line behaviour in different wind strengths, instead of "speed bonus" gamey thing.

Light ships risk serious rigging damage and even mast breaks in very strong winds while a Ship of the line might actually behave better in that type of wind, just as an example.

No idea if they dropped it or if they are still working on it.

In all cases it would add a very important layer to the game.

• Like 4

Number 1 is a fallacy. Very gamey and with no credibility.

Devs proposed variable winds a while ago based on realistic effects, from light ships up to ships of the line behaviour in different wind strengths, instead of "speed bonus" gamey thing.

Light ships risk serious rigging damage and even mast breaks in very strong winds while a Ship of the line might actually behave better in that type of wind, just as an example.

No idea if they dropped it or if they are still working on it.

In all cases it would add a very important layer to the game.

I understand, but I try to keep it simple and see it more as a first step towards something more realistic and better (in the end im no game maker and dont know enough about the age of sail).

"from light ships up to ships of the line behaviour in different wind strengths, instead of "speed bonus" gamey thing.

Light ships risk serious rigging damage and even mast breaks in very strong winds while a Ship of the line might actually behave better in that type of wind, just as an example."

Different ship behaviour would be a very nice addition to my suggestion, thanks for the reply

I would very much like to see varying wind strengths as well as sea conditions, along with corresponding impacts on various ship types.  Several battles were won by fleets of smaller ships because the bigger ships of the line were not able to use their lower gun decks (as they would have otherwise scuttled their ships from seawater coming through the portholes).

Given how hard this may be to implement however, some of the patterns might need to be global - with local storms or calms as exceptions.

Edited by TaranisPrime
  • Like 1

I like the idea to RNG wind direction, but it should take into account that the trade winds are prevalently easterlies -- frankly, I'm tired of the "must be balanced for game purposes" mind set.

I just want variety, and too much realism definitely can sap the fun out of things, I would be opposed to playing it as historically as you are suggesting.

I'm always puzzled by the idea that 'predictable, simplistic and samey' are the ideal conditions for fun.

I'm not clear if your sarcasm is aimed at my suggested changes, or our the current steady wind, but all games are a balance of realism and playability. In the real world sometimes the wind speed varies too, even dies off completely. And all ship durability values are 1. Only a rare bird might want that in a game.

I don't think you're using the word 'fallacy' correctly.

Variable wind strengths were proposed, but apparently this community is full of children who go and trash the game's Steam reviews whenever an experimental patch introduces something they dislike.

My bad indeed. I meant to say that if variable wind is to be introduced we should stick with Devs proposal. It "tasted" like honey IMO.

I like the idea but I suspect programming wind as a variable as you propose would be quite a bit of programming,.  I knew an atmospheric physicist once. He used the massive computing power only available to government to write equations for clouds. Perhaps the devs can find a happy medium somewhere. Certainly the current system is a bit unrealistic and a bit annoying. If the wind kept rotating like that at the speed it does, in real life it would be at hurricane force lol.  

I agree with the wind change, but before diving in with all the complications and realism why not keep it simple and get feedback first.

Simplified OW wind mechanics.
Realistically would never blow from one direction dead on. The direction would be general.
So every 15-20 minutes or so wind changes general direction. Keep it totally random and global to start with . Once general direction has changed by RNG the wind will randomly move within the 25 degree arc of that general direction left or right randomly, but in overall blows the same way.
This brings more wind awareness when chasing/running. Also as it was your fortune might have changed when suddenly wind changed the direction.

Simplified battle wind mechanics.
Similar to OW, but wind changes general direction twice as fast that in OW (every 10 minutes) and fluctuation arc is half the size than in the OW (15 degree arc).
This brings quite a strong aspect of wind awareness in the actual battle.

The point is that the wind was the main driving force and wind changes could suddenly turn circumstances to your favor or vise versa.

Amount of coding or changes to be done - minimal. Goal achieved

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1