Game-Labs Forum

HMS Endymion Hype :D

So I've just seen that on facebook they've announced a new ship, the HMS Endymion.
They say it'll have a topspeed of 15 knots, combined with a 24-lb gundeck :o
According to wiki, the crew count is around 300-340. I'm really looking forward to this ship as I  think there must be some severe downsides (sailing- and/or turning characteristics)  of having a topspeed of 15 knots AND 24lb cannons on a 5th rate. Will it be the Reno 2.0? :)
What do you think about it? =)

14352169_674944579330130_275225689618770

https://www.facebook.com/NavalAction/photos/a.253997028091556.1073741828.203746273116632/674944579330130/?type=3&theater

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 1

WTH is the second picture there?

Recorded maximum speed was 14.4 kts at around 120 degrees. But that was with 18-pdrs only.

Maximum speed with 24-pdrs was 13.6 kts. Still faster most everything else, but not by so much. Oh, and 11 kts close-hauled with either armament.

To be balanced and historical, this ship needs a scripted performance penalty for carrying 24-pdrs.

Slow in wearing, and sensitive to weights at her extremities. So maybe another speed penalty for carrying chasers.

• Like 4

2nd picture is just some nice painting of it i found in the web, liked it so i put it in there too =)
although I just realised it's most likely not the same one. So i deleted it again. There were 2 ships carrying the name of the HMS Endymion, must have been the other one. sorry

And yeah, agree, there need to be some penalties. but with the right settings (fir/rigging/speed, copper plating, speed trim and what not) she should be fun to sail =)

Edited by Liquicity

What are you referring to do?

Marlinspike-heads will notice that this is the first ship in the game to include a full set of braces in the model. That's a sizable step above the game's other ships in level of detail.

I did notice! A step in the right direction.

15 knots (I hope it's without guns), 24-pounders - Gankers' sweet dream, makes every other frigate almost useless. 

Marlinspike-heads will notice that this is the first ship in the game to include a full set of braces in the model. That's a sizable step above the game's other ships in level of detail.

Very nice detail. If only we had visible crew handling those braces.)

I think it might have slightly worse maneuvering characteristics vs Trinc and also it should tilt less. It will have greater top speed downwind and at close haul.  It's heavier, sits deeper in the water and is longer (worse turn). Heavier guns will add greater penalty to speed, but since top speed is high you won't feel the difference much. This is just my analysis. 

UTvg0u8.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting Three decks has her armed with 24 lb cannon on the gundeck from 1797:

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=4106

I thought that the British felt that 24 lb long guns were too heavy for a 5th rate until they encountered the Humphreys' 44s.

There's a reason she was the only one.

They had captured several French 24-pdr frigates at that point.

What are you referring to do?

The Ocean also has some braces (not all) in the in game model if i remember correctly.