Game-Labs Forum

PVE: Is it pointless?

But I think the PVE server is kind of pointless and a waste of resources.

This logic is so flawed. Removing the PvE server won't improve either of the PVP servers. But it will force a bunch of independant PvE players to stop playing.

I like Billy Budd's gaming style and opinions. I only use the PVP servers but have avoided drama and met some very helpful players. Basically I use Budd's approach on PVP1 and PvP2. It would be very unfortunate if the PvE was removed because of a misconception that the displaced players would reestablish themselves on a PvP.

In the last couple of months I have been on both PvE and PvP servers within the same hour of day. My work load has increased so play time has diminished and I go in more for status of what is happening in the game. As you enter you see the number of players online for that server. I am impressed with the PvE players being @ 20% of the population during the time zone I am free to play in.

With all the discussion that happens in the forum I believe the PvE player is a bigger force than some of these PvP players think.

• Like 1

Why would you limit PVE in size or duration? It is not pointless nor a waste of time if you enjoy the game without having to deal with other players constantly attacking you. That may be something some people enjoy but others not so much. Regardless that play style is as much a part of the game as the other.

Look, as you can see from this thread, I and many others will not play PvP. I generally dislike MMOs but purchase this one because there WAS a PvE option. If you get rid of the PvE server, then you will lose ALOT of players. Far more than you would gain on your PvP server.

I can't stand working hard and enjoying a game only to get ganked by some Clan who claims ownership of a Port. I don't enjoy playing in a world with others whose only motivation is annoying as many others as possible.

People playing PvE in no way affects PvP. If lack of players is the problem in PvP- as the post above states- maybe you should look to the behavior of many on those servers instead of trying to force those enjoying PvE to play PvP "or else".... They will simply quit it

I couldn't agree with you more MikeCK. There is a purpose for both PvE and PvP in this game, as I have said before, it's a matter of choice. And to quote Hodo, why is PvE a waste of resources? It doesn't affect your PvP game play, because they are run as separate methods of playing. And why should the size of the map be reduced, aren't we who just want to play against the AI entitled to the same environment as those that prefer PvP. Yes PvE  is ideal for beginners to get familiar with the game, but it is also there as an option for those that just want to play solo. Why should everyone who buys a new game, be forced to play it in multiplayer. It is up to the individual to choose what they are happy with. I am not running down anyone who enjoys playing multiplayer in PvP that is your choice, but please don't try to run down PvE and solo players, that it is a waste of time, because not everyone wants to play the game in an environment were it is full of foul language from the younger players who just want to play Jack Sparrow under the Pirate Flag and go out to sink anyone who they they fancy. It's for this reason that many people stick with PvE so we can avoid all this childish game play from stupid kids who just want to spoil the game for the mature more serious players.

Even in PvE I have been asked to join a clan but to be honest I am not really interested. I would rather just play on my own. I am not anti social either, I just prefer to play any game on my own, so I can make my own decisions and choose whatever I want to do whenever I like. And I am sure there are many others who share this view as well. All I am saying is, choose whatever server you are happy playing with, but don't try to say PvE  is a waste of time. Let those that enjoy playing on that server be the judge of that.

• Like 1

PvE is an integral part of the game even on the PvP.

Some players do only PvP.

It is a choice. It is good to have choices.

On PvP server it is only a choice for the attackers and the game mechanics favour the attacker.

The only mechanic left for the defensive players is the def-tag, but I guess it is a matter of time until this is removed for a solution which buffs the attackers and makes attacks even more save.

Removal of social skill perk (for now) just gave the attackers an insurance and they can operate in areas where they should have no business at all, like in sight of national capitals and so on.

And you can already see how the economy is more and more crumbeling and the shops have less offers since more and more of the needed trader players take a break from the game since it became pointless for them.

LOL no.

Sorry but it doesn't sound like you want a MMO, you want a MOBA. 

I like the mix of PVE and PVP.  But I think the PVE server is kind of pointless and a waste of resources.   It is a good tool to have for people who may want a "trial" version of the game.  But I would GREATLY reduce the size of the world and the number of factions available. 

You're right, I would prefer an age of sail MOBA, but there is no modern (or old, so far as I can tell) age of sail MOBA, so Naval Action is what I'm left with. Being as I don't want to engage in PvP thanks to EVE-induced-PTSD, the PvE server is my best option. I'd guarantee there are other players like me that are mostly in this for the combat, so why drive those players away by removing PvE? Keeping the PvE instance does not have a huge negative impact the PvP instances; World of Warships, for example, has a PvE mode that solely occupies roughly 30% of the playerbase, and there is no detriment to the PvP side of things. I understand Naval Action has a much smaller playerbase, but that's no reason to remove the ONE PvE server that exists

Edited by Knite

The problem with PvE is without a very in depth crafting, mission and quest system, people will get bored in a very short order and move on. If the game is going to survive having a second server that is PvE will end up bring extremely boring and ultimately dieing off. But I agree about the toxic environment on PvP2 server chat. I cant say much for PVP1 as I have global closed there.

But the best thing to do is just close it.

I agree that PvE can get boring. So when I'm bored, I will try PvP again. But others who are bored with PvE shouldn't decide the fate of the server on behalf of those enjoying it

To you and Mac, I believe the problem of PVE servers is it pulls people away from the PvP servers.   A game this small does not need 3 servers, 2 of which are PvP and 1 PvE.  

I enjoy both PvP and PvE.   But if you do a lot of work on the PvP server, and add a bunch of PvP tools and things to do, then the PvE server looks and feels neglected.    But if you add a bunch of PvE items and things to do, you neglect the PvP element of this game.  

You cant balance the development of 2 servers with vastly different goals.   It leads to broken mechanics on one or both servers. 

Then merge the 2 PvP servers and you will only have 2 servers.

I think the issue you are missing is that a PvE does not (in most cases) pull people away from PvP.. it actually adds players who have payed for the game and helps it exist.

If you read many of the responses on this thread, you will realise that if you close the PvE server. then those players will go find something else to play.

There aren't 2 different goals for the servers..  both servers allow crafting, combat and progression..  that is what the game is for now..  PvP additionally has port conquest and is fine for those that want it.  There is no end game that is only suitable for one or the other and there is no crafting or command rank that you can achieve in one play mode versus the other.  There is no current development split that PvE is taking away from PvP OR vice versa.

Populations are low, but removing the PvE server will NOT prop up numbers on the PvP server..  it will only reduce the overall numbers playing the game.

A lot of games are starting to realise that a PvE option is a good thing because of the influx of people whos attitude make PvP a miserable experience in many ways.

You should concentrate your efforts on determining why the PvP servers are bleeding players rather than trying to kill a part of the game that some love and will leave the game if it vanishes.

• Like 2

Maybe that some players who started with PVE and moved on to PVP decided to go back to PVE because too many idiots tried to rule the seas in PVP. But you can't blame PVE entirely for the drop in numbers. I should say that 75% of PVE players have never even been on PVP, because PVE if a safer environment, for those who are not really interested in multiplayer gaming. If this game did not support a single play option, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place and this is possibly the case for many others who like to play on their own. Like I have said before, all games should cater for everyone's taste, as to what they want from a game, not to be dictated to by those who are only interested in multiplayer.

It is like saying us and them. Us if you like to play with other players and them, who are miserable sods, who don't want to get involved with other players. That is not the case as far as I am concerned. I have always played games on my own, that is why all games have AI built into them, so that you can play against the AI if you want to, or just spend time doing other things that the game also has to offer, without worrying about upsetting anyone else, or others upsetting your game, because you decide to log off half way through some action.

Multiplayer gaming is alright when there is a big following, where people want to get together and enjoy playing against each other. But over time, people leave, because another new game pops up on the market and they move on to play that new game. Games are being developed at an alarming rate these days and there is only a handful that has a long standing that goes on for years, until a later version of the same game comes out and people go with the new version. Just make the most of NA whilst it is new because in five years from now, only a handful will be playing it,  maybe because many circumstances in life will be the deciding factor, or a better version of the game comes out. that is life.

This game is still in Alpha and there is a lot that can be done to make it much better, but the option to play as a single player must also be included in its development, otherwise, there are going to be a lot of people who will just call it a day, if multiplayer is the only option. Many people do enjoy to play games alone, multiplayer is not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 1

A lot of games are starting to realise that a PvE option is a good thing because of the influx of people whos attitude make PvP a miserable experience in many ways.

You should concentrate your efforts on determining why the PvP servers are bleeding players rather than trying to kill a part of the game that some love and will leave the game if it vanishes.

This is it in a nutshell.  Could not be more true.  But those that are arguing to get rid of pve will never see this, because they usually contribute to this problem and see nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1

To you and Mac, I believe the problem of PVE servers is it pulls people away from the PvP servers. A game this small does not need 3 servers, 2 of which are PvP and 1 PvE.

I enjoy both PvP and PvE. But if you do a lot of work on the PvP server, and add a bunch of PvP tools and things to do, then the PvE server looks and feels neglected. But if you add a bunch of PvE items and things to do, you neglect the PvP element of this game.

You cant balance the development of 2 servers with vastly different goals. It leads to broken mechanics on one or both servers.

I am sorry but I have to disagree. If a person chooses to be in PVE has no pull away from the PvP servers. I played for months on the PvE and I had no effect on the PvP servers population. The PvP players torn themselves up during that time and quit because it wasn't going their way, not because I wasn't playing PvP.

I do play on all three servers now just to see what kind of progress can be made in the different world's. Does it detract the progress made in one world over the other? It could but there are challenges in all three servers that are different from each other. I have made different kinds of progress in each server. The server I have had the most enjoyment, PvE.

Take away the PvE server then you can shove the game into Davy Jones locker and you will never have me to add to the PvP pool. If the other PvE players feel the same then the game looses about 20% of their members and you still the same number of people playing PvP.where is your gain in players now?

Allow me the choice then you will see me there in a PvP server from time to time as well.

Edited by Jean LaPointe

To you and Mac, I believe the problem of PVE servers is it pulls people away from the PvP servers. 

It's unfortunate that some players keep insisting that if you try to force people onto a PVP server it will significantly will increase it's population. All it will do is cause some players to stop playing NA. If you remove a game style that some people enjoy it won't magically make them start enjoying the game style that they dislike. Nor will it result in players holding their nose and saying "Oh well if I really I have to I'll make my self have fun playing PVP ... But only because I have no choice now. I wish I could access a PvE mode but I'll just be content with PVP."

• Like 1

I am quite happy with PVE and will stick with it because it gives me all I want from this game. Have a read through this thread I have linked below. This is one reason why I would never change to the PVP server, when all they seem to do is cause havoc amongst themselves, just like a load of stupid teenagers.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16411-pvp2-britain-civil-war/

If this is what joining a clan is all about then where is the fun in that. I am better off playing against the AI, at least they dont gank you or try to take over the game play.

• Like 2

If they ever improve the game so AI will chase you on the PVE server I think you will see the numbers go up greatly on the PVE server.

I'm a PVE player, PVP isn't for me.

I enjoyed the game a lot at first but it got a bit boring since I never had to run from anything.

As a result I check in once and a while to see if PVE has been improved, maybe play the odd game  now and then but won't likely start playing regularly

until PVE is more challenging.

• Like 4

To all the twitch monsters who think so little of PvE and the people who do it:

Not all of us play with the same capabilities. In my particular case, I suffer from a neuromuscular disease that causes my hands to shake -- there are days when I find it impossible to click icons on my screen. The problem is only exacerbated when I'm stressed, as in tense boss fights or PvP. But I love online gaming, I'm terrific in a support role, I'm a tireless gatherer, and in a very similar naval combat type game, I'm one of those whose taken the time to develop the capability to build the kinds of high-end ships that are so desired. Besides that, I'm a really nice person who's willing to help others, and I never add to drama, snarkiness, or the over all level of nastiness that's so prevalent in MMOs today.

In short, please lay off the rants about PvE. We're all different, with varying expectations and capabilities.

• Like 5

If they ever improve the game so AI will chase you on the PVE server I think you will see the numbers go up greatly on the PVE server.

I'm a PVE player, PVP isn't for me.

I enjoyed the game a lot at first but it got a bit boring since I never had to run from anything.

As a result I check in once and a while to see if PVE has been improved, maybe play the odd game  now and then but won't likely start playing regularly

until PVE is more challenging.

This is a salient point.  I do mostly pve, but choose to play on a pvp server for the reason you mention above.  Plus the fact that I can switch play styles on a whim without changing servers and all that clearly entails.

This is a valid suggestion.  Merge the PvP servers on one US based server, and keep the PvE server in the EU.

You sir are dipping in the Kool-Aid and don't even know the flavor. 

In simplest terms. 

Stay out of topics you know nothing about.  

YES SIR!

From the most recent Dev announcements, they will put PVE and PVP on the same server ... but put PVE on the Pacific Ocean side of the American continent, leaving PVP on the Atlantic side.

Sounds like an elegant solution to me.

But I have no "inside info" on any "Secret Strategy". 

~ HK ~

• Like 1

From the most recent Dev announcements, they will put PVE and PVP on the same server ... but put PVE on the Pacific Ocean side of the American continent, leaving PVP on the Atlantic side.

~ HK ~

can you share where exactly you got this info?

Secret strategy was sarcasm....

~ HK ~

And why should the PVE players not be allowed to play in the whole Atlantic side of the map. If this happens as you think it will, then most of the PVE players will call it a day, me included. That should please Hodo, because he thinks PVE is a waste of time and agrees with your post. Separating both players with areas either side of the Panama strip is the most stupid thing to do. What is wrong with just keeping things as they are, why should PVP players get more than PVE.

We paid the same money for this game and choose to remain as solo players. We do not interfere with your game play, so don't try to change ours. This game should be able to cater for single players and multiplayers, just like 95% of all other games. Not everyone wants to play against other players.

Edited by Billy Budd
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It, too, is perfect for getting your sealegs set on a new ship. If you aquire a new ship in PvP, then also aquire the same class of ship in PvE, you now can practice over and over in the PvE to understand the characteristics of that ship prior to heading out on the waves in PvP.

you won't learn to defend yourself from playing on a pve server, just saying.

and yes the pve server is pointless, but let it be. we dont want more carebears on the pvp server, killing someone aint fin when all they do is surrender and then rage about them being killed, if you put up a fight its more fun both for you and me. ganking is booring tho, two trincos vs a connie is a match tho but an entire fleet of mixed ships against a solo snow or something is just pointless aswell. unless its for economical reasons, like a gang of pirates attacking a helpless indiaman for example, thats fair play imo, hitting on newbies is not ok tho..

@Lurken,

You missed my point of testing the handling of a ship in the PvE server before using the same ship type in the PvP servers. You have no idea how a new ship handles in the different angles of wind, you can adjust gun arrangements (even if it's against AI, you see how the guns reach their targets, you can see how she turns, etc), it a shakedown cruise and gunnery practice for your performance.

The surrendering issue you mentioned can come from several factors. I have had to surrender a couple of time, why? I am in a Trader, there is no way I can beat you. I'll try to escape but if that looks pointless, then I'll surrender. There is no reason at all for me to lose crew members for your satisfaction, and the cost that will levied on me for crew replacement.

The PvE server is a different experience, although you may not enjoy that aspect, several members do enjoy it. Using a name to denigrate a way a person plays this game only makes you appear insensitive and insincere.

The rest of you point you made has merit and I can concur with you on that.

• Like 2

I have high hopes that the pve server and the pvp server will differenciate more in the future.

I think it's great to have a pve server so everyone who just wants to sail around and shoot around a little can do that and will never ever be bothered with people trying to sink him. There will be no griefing, no ganking, no forum pvp no nothing, just happy peaceful ai shooting. Maybe some hard fleets will come there maybe something raidstyle will come in, but it will be all about working together in peace.

For the pvp server instead i hope that we will have less pve. Many before have suggested to make the pve part a very very very small part of the pvp server. The existence of the pve content on the pvp server massively limits the players on the os because many of them are "invisible" while fighting ai. 

I think both servers have their own right to be there and i think the servers and their mechanics and their content should be committed fully to the playstyle on the server be it pve with massive ai fleets or be it pvp with pve content being only profitable for the low level characters.

• Like 4

@Lurken,

You missed my point of testing the handling of a ship in the PvE server before using the same ship type in the PvP servers. You have no idea how a new ship handles in the different angles of wind, you can adjust gun arrangements (even if it's against AI, you see how the guns reach their targets, you can see how she turns, etc), it a shakedown cruise and gunnery practice for your performance.

The surrendering issue you mentioned can come from several factors. I have had to surrender a couple of time, why? I am in a Trader, there is no way I can beat you. I'll try to escape but if that looks pointless, then I'll surrender. There is no reason at all for me to lose crew members for your satisfaction, and the cost that will levied on me for crew replacement.

The PvE server is a different experience, although you may not enjoy that aspect, several members do enjoy it. Using a name to denigrate a way a person plays this game only makes you appear insensitive and insincere.

The rest of you point you made has merit and I can concur with you on that.

mkay, anyways you can do all that on the pvp server aswell. its not "pvp only" you can still pve on a pvp server, anyways since the rank is global you atleast dont need to level up twice so it dosent much matter, in my world a game like this with no pvp whould be ass booring.

The question isn't "Is PvE pointless ?" but "How to make it better ?".

First thing to do is to make OW bots agressive, ie. able to chase and tag PvEers. 

PS : such a feature wouldn't bother PvPers on PvP servers if associated with a perk disabling it.

• Like 6