Game-Labs Forum

PVE: Is it pointless?

I've been playing mainly on the PVE server, with characters on PVP, as well. However, I've noticed a severe drop since the implementation of NO-CAP. I remember user numbers being in the 200's, but now it's a good day if you get more than 100 users logged into PVE.

Is it time to do away with PVE? Merge it with PVP, so those of us with assets don't lose them?

• Like 1

Go play on the PVP server if you want but leave the PVE server alone . The population is low on every server is not just the PVE server , if you merge the PVE and PVP server you will lose most of the player who still play on the PVE.

• Like 1

Some of us actually prefer PVE. No bad behaviour, no ganking, you can explore anywhere and everywhere, trade in all spheres in the numerous neutral ports and ( I may be wrong here but it is my perception that there is a slightly older player base). PVP leaves me quite cold.......just a personal preference.

Please leave PVE alone.

On another matter I see calls for PVP2 to be merged. For anyone who,prefers to PVE but might like to try some PVP server aspects PVP 2 would be a logical next step. PVP 1 just seems to be full of pirates and immature ganking types. Consequently I would suggest leaving PVP 2 alone as well.

• Like 4

Lol on PvP1, mainly PVE solo, just ranking and making mistakes.

However got ganked by a Constitution and a Bella yesterday, Pirates, I was in a Snow, you know what, it was fun while it lasted, laughing as my little 18lb carronades seemed to bounce of the Constitution hull.

As for the player base it is varying ages with from what I have seen a lot of mature players, me being one :)

I've been playing mainly on the PVE server, with characters on PVP, as well. However, I've noticed a severe drop since the implementation of NO-CAP. I remember user numbers being in the 200's, but now it's a good day if you get more than 100 users logged into PVE.

Is it time to do away with PVE? Merge it with PVP, so those of us with assets don't lose them?

Negative to that sir, PvE is a totally different experience and should not be merged into something it is not. It is the perfect platform for the solo, or casual player. It is great for the individual who is short on time, wants a quick battle and doesn't need to fear being ganked upon leaving the game.

It, too, is perfect for getting your sealegs set on a new ship. If you aquire a new ship in PvP, then also aquire the same class of ship in PvE, you now can practice over and over in the PvE to understand the characteristics of that ship prior to heading out on the waves in PvP.

You see sir the PvE is a more relaxed atmosphere to operate in and it allows you to learn without being stomped on or continously having to look over your shoulder.

What difference does it make to you if the numbers are down in PvE as you do not deal directly with a live person. It is not like you need any people to enjoy the PvE world, where as it is needed in the PvP world. Merging the two does no good what so ever in the PvE world and those who do PvE I would bet have a presence on the PvP as well. They are choosing what server they wish to play on at any point in time.

I will spend most of my time on the PvE server, but still spend time on the PVP server too. Why would you want to remove my ability to make a choise on which server I would like to play on?

• Like 6

Some of us actually prefer PVE. No bad behaviour, no ganking, you can explore anywhere and everywhere, trade in all spheres in the numerous neutral ports and ( I may be wrong here but it is my perception that there is a slightly older player base). PVP leaves me quite cold.......just a personal preference.

Please leave PVE alone.

On another matter I see calls for PVP2 to be merged. For anyone who,prefers to PVE but might like to try some PVP server aspects PVP 2 would be a logical next step. PVP 1 just seems to be full of pirates and immature ganking types. Consequently I would suggest leaving PVP 2 alone as well.

A server where you point and click trade and only fight easily beaten and predictable AI opponents, gee sign me up.

If that's what PVE only is no wonder it's dead.

• Like 1

A server where you point and click trade and only fight easily beaten and predictable AI opponents, gee sign me up.

You can craft, but you can't really sell anything when there are only 65 people signed on.

Not everyone is ruthless. Different people like different aspects of this delightful game. The PVE server is not dead. It certainly has more than the quoted 65 and there is no difficulty selling a ship at market. You just have to sell the right ship. i fail to see why such disparaging remarks need to be made about people who populate other servers that have no effect on the ruthless people who clearly prefer PVE1. Did I mention how polite people were on the PVE server? Just another reason for preferring PVE.

• Like 1

Not everyone is ruthless. Different people like different aspects of this delightful game. The PVE server is not dead. It certainly has more than the quoted 65 and there is no difficulty selling a ship at market. You just have to sell the right ship. i fail to see why such disparaging remarks need to be made about people who populate other servers that have no effect on the ruthless people who clearly prefer PVE1. Did I mention how polite people were on the PVE server? Just another reason for preferring PVE.

If you read the thread carefully you'll notice the only disparaging remarks were made by a PvE player towards the 'immature ganking types' of PvP1 ;)

Got nothing against those who want to play purely PvE, but at some point the value of maintaining a server for such a small number of players has to be considered.

PVE is pointless....once you reached max lvl in both rank and crafting.

NA is called a sandbox MMO

Huge box, very little sand , some broken glass in it, and massive ?

I joined on EA release. Here i was thinking, gee, this is the only ever MMO with but one quest: Find swords, kill Pirate, rinse, repeat. 

Logical consequence (at least thats what I thought): The devs will add more content and some endgame asap (events, dailies...)  and will also balance PvE as it should be. Means: not like PvP.

Looks like i was wrong. Broken glass wasnt removed (eg don't play a 1st rate, even if its lost bec of a bug, it wont be reimbursed, sailing to missions  to timeconsuming, no navigation in a 18th century sail sim, the game is very unfriendly to new and casual players....)

Instead of adding more content, devs fiddled around with existing content, not always making it better...

Eg the damage model. Result: I can sink the same AI like 4 months ago, just in the 5th or 6th different way...

So we still have a huge box with very little sand in it, we still don't have the to do list to change that...

Switching to PvP server is also no alternative. Start with collecting BP's again, getting ganked, pirates directly at one's capital.... 

Logical consequence: Players leave.

Sure, that happens in all games, but: Games are sold by word of mouth. For NA PvE this means: As long as the devs fail to adress the main issues, the game will have a net loss of players.

And that no game can afford.

Thats nothing personal. As far as I am concerned, I got my 36 euro worth of fun ...and more than that. 

Edited by Jan van Santen

'You' might find it pointless but I and quite a few others do not. I admit my comment was disparaging and I liked the following correcting post but nothing I have heard here leads me to believe I would enjoy PVP1. I suspect that those PVP players wishing the PVE server to be merged are simply looking for more victims as the ones not interested in being victims of pirates and ganking are becoming harder to find.

I don't like PVP as a general principal. Kill the PVE server and I will predict those players only interested in PVE will mostly just pack up and go. I certainly will.

PVE content does have an impact beyond the PVE server. The mere exsistence of a PVE server has hurt the game, far more than any benefit.

Im not much into ganking, as I always found fighting some who has no chance of beating me dull and pointless. Give me a good chase, whether I'm chasing someone or being chased and a hard fought battle win or lose and I'm happy. Followed by a friendly good battle few things are better in gaming. I don't see the excitement of sailing for long periods of time just to make 2 more gold prices per unit on a trade item. But maybe that's the gamer in me wanting a real challenge.

I'm lost as to why you signed up for a game titled naval action, when all you seem to be interested in is naval trade. Why bring down a game with unneeded micromanagement. If you want a void PVE AOS game put in Sid Meier's pirates, it does a far better job at it.

I think the merge logic is flawed.

Currently players have a choice of playing on PvP1, PvP2 PvE1.  The logic proposes that if we merge all of the servers we can expect the sum to be the total of three servers (minus a little loss for people who are offended by the merge).  Example PvP1 (500 players) + PvP2 (250 players) + PvE1 (150 players) =  New server (800 players) - Pissed off people (100 players) =  TOTAL 700 players.  Note these are only example numbers, I'm sure they aren't accurate.

I doubt that merging all  servers (or PvE and PvP1) will result in an appreciable gain.  Some people play multiple servers and they will not likely play more on one single server because they will have less variety and choice.  Currently I get to play more often because I have the option of different styles of gameplay.

Forcing people into someone else's server won't make people play more.  It is not likely to make the game more popular or improve game play.  We used to have lots more people. So many that an auto kick was implemented for  players AFK for 20 min.  We created extra servers to accommodate the population.  The higher numbers did not save us previously.

With less than a thousand players,  removing options is not likely going to save the game or improve it.  At best you might increase the numbers on PvP1 by a hundred (or maybe two hundred).  Will that make that much difference?

Rather than removing player's choices and kicking them off the servers that they enjoy ... just allow everyone to play the way they choose.

Edited by Macjimm

PVE content does have an impact beyond the PVE server. The mere exsistence of a PVE server has hurt the game. I don't see the excitement of sailing for long periods of time just to make 2 more gold prices per unit on a trade item. But maybe that's the gamer in me wanting a real challenge.

I'm lost as to why you signed up for a game titled naval action, when all you seem to be interested in is naval trade. Why bring down a game with unneeded micromanagement. If you want a void PVE AOS game put in Sid Meier's pirates, it does a far better job at it.

I don't see how having more options for gameplay can hurt any game. Your other comments are derogatory as was your first. You know nothing about me, why I play, or what I enjoy. My one last comment would be that I am personally over people who like to play the game one way decrying others who do not share their play style.

So this comment is for the devs, not you, as I do not enjoy our communications.

I enjoy long sails, just for the pleasure of exploration and admiring the beauty of the environment you guys have created. Truly awesome job guys. I actually used to sail so I enjoy the sailing mechanics, more the merrier in my view. I would prefer more sail control, not less. I enjoy trading and crafting; I love building my own ships as I level up. I enjoy battles with the AI. I agree it could use more smarts but without perhaps the laser like accuracy that it once possessed. I don't mind the concept of PVP but as I just feel sad if I sink someone else's ship one to one ( or lose mine; Not such a biggy - I just build another) it is not my favourite activity. Large battles though, in company, sound interesting but not in an environment where people appear from nowhere and gank you or perform the many other acts of bastardy that many seem to derive pleasure from. I also prefer polite interaction. All of which make me feel that I would avoid PVP1 like the plague; I appreciate that there are probably plenty of awesome people on it but mostly all I seem to see are comments and actions by people.......well I won't say.......just that I would rather they be on another server other than the one I am on.

• Like 3

The mere exsistence of a PVE server has hurt the game, far more than any benefit.

Really??? Where are your facts of prove this is the case? You claim PvE hurts the game. How? It is a totally different platform and approach?.

There are a number of people here that will make empty, unless statements as these without ever backing up their claims. If you are going to make a statement as this then you better have something to back up your words or I will not take anything to say to hold a value.

Playing on a pvp server as a crafter or trader is awesome and I would recommend the trader/crafter part of NA to every PvE minded player out there!!.. It's like economical PvP and all PvP players love you guys for making ships and modules  ;) (Sure, sometimes you lose a ship if you're not careful but the competition has the exact same problem!)

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS
  • Like 2

Playing on a pvp server as a crafter or trader is awesome 

No way. Been there, tried it...and never went back.

I have an almost complete collection of BP's on PvE server, so why would i wish to collect them again on PvP server ? Besides, there are cartells of clan crafters dictating the market for materials and ships on PvP. No chance for any new crafter. Particularly not when the devs install the planned completely player driven economy, which on PvP server translates to a totally cartel controlled market.

And last but not least: I play for my own fun, I don't like to be bossed around by self proclaimed "leaders" what to craft, where to attack, whom to attack etc.

I have done PvP in many other games, but only where it was fair, balanced and fun. Where I could form a team for PvP with players from my buddylist, not being restricted by clan or nation...

The current percentage of pirates vs other nations on PvP server is all it needs to prove that PvP is way out of balance in NA. It's all about exploits, flawed mechanics (like the one way loss free route to Priate) and ganking.

I couldn't avoid these flawed mechanisms if i were to play PvE on the PvP server. Therefore a merger of PvE server onto PvP server would mean the end of me playing NA.

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 2

Really??? Where are your facts of prove this is the case? You claim PvE hurts the game. How? It is a totally different platform and approach?.

There are a number of people here that will make empty, unless statements as these without ever backing up their claims. If you are going to make a statement as this then you better have something to back up your words or I will not take anything to say to hold a value.

Given from my understanding having a PVE only server was never originally intended, and the current size of the development team, having to mantain and develop content for a server with a minuscule portion of the games population hurts the overall development of the main aspect of the game.

PVE is completely pointless at max rank, and that's I believe a strong reason for the player drop we see every day.

There's no point in even logging in unless you're aware of action happening. Once you are rank 10 and have enough gold  secured to afford a few replacement ships, there is absolutely no reason to fight NPCs. So these people only log in to use their crafting hours. Until they think "what for?" and then they stop logging in altogether.

Playing on a pvp server as a crafter or trader is awesome and I would recommend the trader/crafter part of NA to every PvE minded player out there!!.. It's like economical PvP and all PvP players love you guys for making ships and modules  ;) (Sure, sometimes you lose a ship if you're not careful but the competition has the exact same problem!)

I am not quite sure how to actually play as a crafter.  What do you do with your time? because labor hours are gone after a minute for me, and then I'm not a crafter anymore. Then I'm just some guy with a full warehouse who has to wait for more energy like on a facebook game.

Given from my understanding having a PVE only server was never originally intended, and the current size of the development team, having to mantain and develop content for a server with a minuscule portion of the games population hurts the overall development of the main aspect of the game.

Statement is very much lacking proof or even an explanation with the PVE server has hurt the game. No content is being developed for the PVE server, and server maintenance isn't the big deal you're making it out to be, especially when it's an identical server to two you are already running - except for that one little setting.

Edited by Quineloe

Given from my understanding having a PVE only server was never originally intended, 

The game was advertised on Steam as having a PvE only server. Else I wouldn't have bought it :)

edit: you might also want to check the NA website...

http://www.navalaction.com/#open-world

....PvE: Peaceful server where players fight with NPCs. Players interested in a single player experience where other players can only help you should choose this server.....

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 4

This is a reason I bought into the game!

"PVP vs PVE servers

PvP:  Large-scale conquest with player vs player battles raging everywhere from the lower Antilles to French Louisiana.  You are at risk everywhere and can be attacked by other captains. You can capture any ship you want and sail any vessel you like if you have the proper rank requirement.

PvE: Peaceful server where players fight with NPCs. Players interested in a single player experience where other players can only help you should choose this server. "

• Like 2

I haven't reached maximum rank but ATM I just enjoy building ships and trying them out in AI missions. A big thanks to the devs for the AI fleet missions BTW. There are also large fleets floating around for larger groups to take on. It's all just fun. Rank to a degree is not as important as just having fun sailing and fighting. Past post captain it is not important at all. The fact that we are fighting AI instead of people is unimportant to me ( and to many of my clan mates) and to me at least it removes some of the behaviour many find abhorrent in the PVP environment.

No one just does crafting, it's simply an emphasis. Trading and crafting mostly, sometimes with an emphasis on fighting if you want to crew some of the larger ships you build and wish to sail.

The bottom line is that it is fun, we enjoy it. Some may not understand that and that's ok. It doesn't change our enjoyment of this wonderful sailing game. Being absorbed into the PVP server would change that. If we wanted the extra excitement we would have joined that server in the first place. So please just leave us to our fun :-)

• Like 1