Game-Labs Forum

New repair system to promote fights

Previous dev post suggested extra repair for every kill you get. Based on this I can suggest following. 

What do you think about this system?

Up to 24 repairs in Battle (because we can carry 24, so why can't we use them?)

1st repair stays the same (currently used) repairs x amount of armor/sails.

after 1st repair is used timer starts - 10 mins (or any preset value)

2nd repair % calculated by damage dealt (let's say in order to get better use of your repair player has to do more damage). Bonuses should be applied for Crew, Sails, fires...etc

Example values

100 damage = .5% in next repair on small ship (set desired value)

100 damage = .4% medium ship

100 damage = .3% large ship

100 damage = .2% line ship

100 damage = .1% on huge line ship

This is how it will work:

So, I used 1st repair and it repaired (X%) of my ship armor/sails, timer started and I have 10 minutes to collect damage that will be converted into repair % on my next repair. 

A) I do enough damage and enable repair kit, after that all my damage is contributed towards my repair kit % repaired.

B I did just enough damage to enable repair kit, but don't have any extra repair %. I still get minimum repair and try to collect more damage on my next Repair cycle. 

C I did not do enough damage to enable repair kit. I have to wait another 10 minutes and try to get more damage. 

What this means is if you want to get a good repair you have to fight.

Please discuss.

This is too convoluted. Does not fit into battle. Rewarding repairs for damage is weird and gamey in the first place, then you run the gauntlet of balancing it so that it's worthwhile and not OP, then you run the gauntlet of constantly repairing sure-to-sink bunkerships, then you run the gauntlet of ganking just for repairs sake, then you run the gantlet of not even foreseen ways this affect the way people play.

Too convoluted.

Also, same problem as before - repairs are not enough to sustain you in a fight. You loose crew and even when outnumbered in a big ship, you get both broadsides pulled and loose men on repairs = you loose. Repairs are for running, not for staying in the fight.

• Like 1

You simply boost overall damage to speed things up. 

It might be weird and counter-intuitive, but there is NOTHING simple in boosting damage :) Boost damage in this one 25v25 scenario, and you're affecting 1v1 scenario, 1vsAI, fleet vs AI, mission balance, repair balance, repair cost balance, XP gain, gold gain, port battles, port battle towers, gank balance, running away and timer balance, demasting possibilities and thus tactics in certain groups...

Before you know it, that simple boost to dmg results in changes and re-balances all across the board, circle after circle after circle, until you end up swallowed by power creep with end-of-days scenario.

Balancing a complex mechanism is anything but simple ;)

• Like 1

I like Maturin's idea on a small percentage of crew repair, but that is about it.  One of the things you have to learn in Naval Action is how to mitigate damage and how to survive.  Continual repairs negates that.

For boarding combat, maybe.

Or maybe kills should provide a small crew repair that fires automatically, since most crew losses simulate morale and organizational failures anyhow.

IMHO just make it like urgent repairs... put it on a cooldown and not tied to kills/assists... Put the cooldown at 15 min.. If you are still alive after 15 min in any fight, you've earned a second repair. Still alive after 30, ok, 3rd repair... You can burn the amount of damage a repair kit does in just a few minutes so it won't make it unbalanced.