Game-Labs Forum

Captured by friendly player while disconnected

Earlier today, I was in battle outside Carlisle with some other guys when my game crashed.

I was not able to reconnect, although I tried several times, my ship surrendered in battle and the player Alessio Duca di Savoia from FIRST clan used this opportunity to capture my ship.

chat.jpg

I had no chance to keep them from capturing me as I could not log ino the game and I hope a solution can be found.

Edited by Batman

So you would rather have your ship sink than it go to a friendly player?

You are aware that if it did not get capped by the guy it would just sink, right...?

Why should I give someone who is Master and Commander Rank (250 Crew) a free Bellona?

Did you ask to get it back?

Of course. Oh wonder - no response.

I really think that it would be a decent thing to give the ship back, we always capture the ship from the disconnected player, otherwise the ship is lost. Even if you dont manage to get in contact with the player, the ship will serve in the ranks of your nation. Hopefully you get a response from either the player or from someone in his clan to help you with this.

• Like 1

Why should I give someone who is Master and Commander Rank (250 Crew) a free Bellona?

Because you had no option to get it back anyway? You would rather have it sink than for someone else to get it? Are you really that petty...?

I really think that it would be a decent thing to give the ship back

While I agree it would be a nice gesture, it's not like doing otherwise is tribunal worthy. Let's not get out of the line here, this is a personal matter, hardly a reason to warn or ban someone.

At this rate we could start making tribunal topics for people selling ships for too big a price!

• Like 1

It does, in fact if you get your ship "stolen" by so called friendlies it is most definately an issue for the courts!

How is it stolen if you were about to loose it?

If you throw something away, do you then sue someone who picked it up? Do you expect him to actually find you and go through the bother of returning it to you, even though if he didn't pick it up in the first place it would be gone?

What is this, muppets?

I kind of agree that this is actually a tribunal case, because there is no other mechanic to handle unsportsmanlike conduct. Problem is the proper punishment, right now i think it has mostly been name and shame. I think it's up to the community to keep the game fair and fun for everyone. Because the ship would've actually been lost anyways, it's kind of a gray area. I would try contacting the clan and use the community to get the ship back.

It is just a small ship with 1 durability, so it's basically worth almost nothing, all the fuss is more about the unsportsmanlike conduct of not giving the ship back.

• Like 1

i'm sorry but i agree with Galileus on this, first of all you lost the ship dura anyway due to surrendering from D/Cing. So rather than it going to waste someone captured it, now yes i agree that it prob would have been best to hand it back to you, however there are better ways to have gone about this than to bring it to a tribunal which tbh is not needed.

If you asked one of your officers to do a bit of communication within the british clans i'm sure the TS dets would have been found as i know i see First taking part in the council meetings and battles a bit so someone will have them.

I'm not getting up you OP but in all due respects there was absolutely no need for this tribunal as i am 95% certain this could have been resolved within the british nation though either the council or asking other clans if they had the details of Firsts ts or point of contact,

Jags

I just wanted to add good manners and sportsmanlike behavior works both ways. And I would dare to say that bringing something like that into tribunal - without even providing a name nevertheless - is not a good example of such.

• Like 2

This is why it's great to be pirate. If someone decides to do this to you, you can personally hunt them down. :)

More generally, I find the mechanics of losing ships due to DC to be a real problem. I've almost lost ships due to latency problems. I was in a battle once when the instance server crashed and almost lost my pavel. With that said, I am not sure how it could be fixed because if you make dc'd players "leave" then people will just kill the process when they don't like what's happening in order to save their ship. 

Edited by snackbar

You cannot reconnect during a "green on green boarding". There is no such thing. You can only capture (or re-capture) a ship that is already "done for" - has lost the battle, has no crew, surrendered, disconnected and such.

So no, what you say is not a problem, because there is no such line of defense as "I thought he disconnected". If he didn't you cannot cap his ship in the first place.

I know this doesn't belong in the thread but I thought I would tell my story of how a friend dc'ed in a battle.

Ok so I was in my clans teamspeak and 7 of us were planning on joining a small battle, so we did that. The other 6 guys from my clan got placed on one team, and I got placed on the other team with some basic cutters and the AI "Blood" as usual. So I was there in my newly crafted renommee looking over at my friends cannons rolling, and cannonballs flying my way, as I hear a friendly captain in my teamspeak say, that they wont sink me. There I am in the middle of a battle with no reason to fire my cannons, so I figure I'll just tab out and wait for the battle timer to end. Suddenly in my teamspeak I hear that one of my fellow captains who happened to be on the other team disconnected, and I was asked to go capture his ship so he wouldn't lose it, and so I did. Now I was sitting next to him boarding him as I hear the roaring from cannons in the near distance, I turn my view and see my fellow AI "Blood" shooting at the ship I was boarding. Now I turn my view to my boarding session again, and I see that the ship was suddenly set on fire, in my panic I started disengaging, knowing that he couldn't put his ship into survival mode(before the patch). I manage to disengage and just as setting sails the ship goes into fire shock, and blows up right next to me, a millisecond later I blow up as well. When I explained what happened in the teamspeak I heard a lot of laughter, so overall good times. :)

You don't board a surrendered ship, be it green or red originally. If it's surrendered it's white, with a white flag flying. There's no boarding involved, you capture it by going close and hitting X.

I've salvaged a clanmate's ship/dura after he DC'd. In order to give it back to him if he wanted it. There's absolutely no green on green involved whatsoever. Not giving it back is a bit of a douchebag move though, but not tribunal worthy.

EDIT: My comment was response to ShroudedRecluse. On my phone so didn't realize there was another page and all I wrote had already been said by Galileus.

Edited by Anolytic

you lost the ship dura anyway due to surrendering from D/Cing. So rather than it going to waste someone captured it, now yes i agree that it prob would have been best to hand it back to you

I think that sums it up.

* Yes it would be nice of him to give it back to you.

* No it's not in the rules that he should do so nor is there any real obligation on his part.

* It will be bad PR for him and possibly his guild if he keeps the ship.

* Not really a tribunal matter imo as no particular rules were broken.

I could see a little bit of an argument if you D/C'd and a clanmate was on the way to grab the ship for you and then some scrub grabbed it and ran off but even there it's pretty questionable. It's literally a free ship to whoever gets there first.

Personally I think I would angle for more of a "name and shame" angle in the National forums. Roleplay it up a little. People will know not to trust him and that may ultimately do more damage to him than a quiet tribunal.