Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.64 - Small Battles and Account XP

admin

It cannot be 1450

European traders are bringing unlimited quantities at a much lower price (i think)

Sure can be. Players have put up Buy Contracts in every single nearby port producing Hemp, so there is never any Hemp on the open market where the price is set by NPCs. All Hemp prices are set by players, and due to the very short supply and huge demand it is not uncommon for Hemp prices in Gustavia to reach 800+

Edited by Inkompetent

Problem with missions is that only the guy with the mission gets the big reward anyways. So if you group for these, others get not so much unless you cycle through missions.

Instead of gamey, artificial missions, there should be more money opportunities on the open world

Hemp is 740 in Port Royal right now

Sure can be. Players have put up Buy Contracts in every single nearby port producing Hemp, so there is never any Hemp on the open market where the price is set by NPCs. All Hemp prices are set by players, and due to the very short supply and huge demand it is not uncommon for Hemp prices in Gustavia to reach 800+

That's how it is. Admin, you might wanna check how many players are running both a buy and sell contract on basic shipwright materials (oak, fir, hemp for example). Buy it for whatever the NPCs put it in right away, and offer it for three times the price.

Zero effort on their part, Zero, and the money just comes in.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 1

• A lot of players were trolling others by destroying friendly derelicts. You cannot destroy the friendly derelicts any more. 

The more of these troll proof mechanisms you put in, the less funn it will be to play the game. Players like freedom, even if some cry about trolls and their bad luck

This is a bad change in my opinion, at least for the PvE server. The grind was just about bearable with the mission rewards in 9.63. This is going to make it a slog to make money again. Raiding NPCs and selling their cargo for NPC prices isn't really very lucrative at all, and there aren't -that- many AI traders sailing about. 

Maybe time to have different systems on PvE and PvP, hm?

Probably u should make contracts for buying hemp outside of your capital? Why the hell one have to buy some overpriced resource from another player? Find port producing that resource and make a contract for it with adequate price.

That's the problem. When you have several hundred players who only can buy from like... 4 ports, then there are buy contracts - and quite high-priced ones - EVERYWHERE. Unless we're to make a 3 hours sail to friggin' Cayman Brac or something and put up buy orders there.

Im not in an capital ;D I was sailing around for 3 hours this morning, and dont find any hemp or fire Log. And i was in production Harbors. 
Do an Contract for what? Pay so much more?
Thats the Eco here? The Rich Guys Buy Hemp for 100-200 and sell it for 1000? THATS HEMP not gold or silver or something like that.

Hemp Production 120 per day? Iron Ore 3200? Thats way to much different. 

What's new:

New account XP system

Old system had a lot of problems and confusion. It did not give enough flexibility and it created a huge burden of work for the dev team with the tornado of tickets. 

New system is elegant and solves the majority of player problems and questions letting us focus on development more.

Sounds good no issues from me, makes total sense as alot of people were poking about it.

New small battles/large battle timers

A lot of players had problems when both sides did not want to lose the ship in events. Causing long waits and claims of trolling.

Another good change, i have not touched small battles but i heard alot of people were complaining about this one, plus the people grouping with 4 frigates vs 15 Basic Cutters but that's another issue.

Other fixes

• A lot of players were trolling others by destroying friendly derelicts. You cannot destroy the friendly derelicts any more. 
  • Splendid that's good to know and do... as people throw a hissy fit as they could not steal a trade ship so they sank it.
  •  
  • Damage calculations are more optimized in large battles. 
  • Excellent! Though abit more detail would have been nice.
  •  
  • Mission rewards fixed - missions now give fixed 5000 gold: favoring young players and giving no advantage for higher levels who have other options to make money
  • Excellent! The gold was way to much for higher ranks, it makes sense at the start to get you off you feet but when massive clans spam missions to fund port battles etc...
  •  
  • 4th rates and higher vessels repair prices increased 50%
  • Another good one, As those ships should cost alot to use. Instead of being thrown around OW between fleets like pinball.
  •  
  • Assault flags prices upper price level increased
  • Great! Too many Port battles were happening especially when the same faction rolls over 5 ports etc in one day...

Edited by The Bloody Hound

Whilst it is certainly without any question that the recent patch that increased the mission rewards was a tad overkill, I think that reducing them to a fixed 5k reward is the wrong way to go about it. Higher level players shouldn't be penalised for wanting to do missions, which this change and the repair kit cost effectively does. I accept that there are other ways to make money in the game, such as through trading/crafting, but not everyone enjoys that style of game-play, especially not with how the current system is set up.

The more of these troll proof mechanisms you put in, the less funn it will be to play the game. Players like freedom, even if some cry about trolls and their bad luck

If you can only have fun by trolling other people, then you should probably pick other games. Here people have fun by actually playing the game, as shocking as it sounds.

• Like 9

how fun is it when you cap say a connie? or a third rate and you get a random guy come in and sink it even though you captured it ?

• Like 3

so not buying any carfted ships for me in the future. (60k for a ship is now 12 missions so i guess 8 hours playtime ?
if i play with friend that wants his 12 missions too we have 16 hours ?)

no crafting myself  (resources to expansive)

no more outposts. (100k == playing a week ? (no i do not play 8 hours a day))

With 5k I am forced to only use boarded ships again.

no pvp (dur 1 ship lose is not a good idea ^^)

And I wasted the last 2 days with port battles. (getting resources i can't carry ^^)

I've should made the missions until they were worth it.

Anyway :
Give me premium ships and i am fine with that change :P

Well done devs!

Hope that your last week test with those ludicrous 18 683 gold per mission (level 6) has provided you with plenty of data and feedback. I should have farmed missions more as it was clear that the hatchet was coming but the counter effect was zillions of PB in the same time so impossible with my limited game hours to do both.

Anyway glad to see that the inflation is under control  :)

Need to try this out and see how I manage to do missions without losing money now on repairs. Pretty sure the solution is team play, as that way you can limit to some degree the amount of damage you'll receive and therefore minimize the cost of repairs. 

I actually think this is a great idea: now when playing solo I will spend time trading and capturing traders (making money) and when my mates are online, I will do PVP and missions (gaining XP)

Well that's at least how I imagine things, wait and see

I personally farmed more than 150K gold yesterday with my MERCHANT BRIG, just do some EXCHANGE with ports, watch the price, buy ressources, and sell it really expensive to another one ~

And i'm not even RANK 2 yet (Just got a cutter and my merchant brig, nothing else) (190K gold in stock ... Seriously ... Why can't we buy XP with gold ? :P)

so not buying any carfted ships for me in the future. (60k for a ship is now 12 missions so i guess 8 hours playtime ?

if i play with friend that wants his 12 missions too we have 16 hours ?)

no crafting myself  (resources to expansive)

no more outposts. (100k == playing a week ? (no i do not play 8 hours a day))

With 5k I am forced to only use boarded ships again.

no pvp (dur 1 ship lose is not a good idea ^^)

And I wasted the last 2 days with port battles. (getting resources i can't carry ^^)

I've should made the missions until they were worth it.

Anyway :

Give me premium ships and i am fine with that change :P

Just stop grinding missions and think instead.

I've started playing myself 2 weeks ago.

Guess what - now I have an exceptional crafted Frigate and another one coming up today. And also around 600k from which only 200k were earned during stupid mission rewards time.

Stop blindly doing missions around your nations capital and think instead. Gold is everywhere.

Here are some obvious tips, but for some reason a lot of care bears don't think about them.

1. You really don't need crafted ship till 5th rate. And if you aren't doing any PVP you will need it only on 4th rate. Guess what - you can capture ships!! I captured my first snow in a mission sailing basic cutter when I achieved appropriate rank to control it. All you newbies want is a higher level ship, but if you don't know how to sail low level appropriately (to capture bigger ships) than guess what - you will lose on bigger ship too.

2. If it's too hard to be alone - enter the clan! Here in a Dutch nation clans are always welcome for novices and I am sure in other nations it's all the same

3. Capture NPC traders. They even are slower now. One lucky traders snow with compass wood or oak log will net you 30k+. Of course it will take time (my first traders brig I was capturing for about 30 mins), efforts and skills - but all these will be requiered to sail bigger ships too. 

4. sell upgrades. They drop a lot. They cost a lot because prices for them are fixed. Even useless ones you can sell for 10-20k.

5. Capture ships. Here is how it was for me: basic cutter -> captured brig -> captured Snow -> captured Niagara (from a British carebear) -> captured Cerb -> captured Suprise -> crafted Frigate. You don't reaaly need to spend money at all.

The only restriction currently in game is Exp. I've already have captured a Constitution (with a help of a clan mates of course, but if you don't wanna socialize in MMO - don't expect to progress fast), but I can't sail it because I am still only a captain. And now I have to mission grind because it's still the best xp/hour. Better is only to hunt big NPC fleet, but it's a rare occasion cause you need a big NPC fleet and a big group of players to farm it. But gold in this game is not an issue.

Just don't expect MMO be like some single-player game. The game is not centered around you. If you think everything will be handled to you on a gold platter in a MMO you are wrong. The fun of playing MMO is to compete with other players. If you wanna get everything in a moment - go play some singleplayer game on an easy level. The NA is still forgiving (a lot due to a huge reinforcements range and durability principle). I personally think it's TOO EASY at the moment for the carebears. At least comparing with smth like EVE. And still I am very surprised to see a lot of people whining about gold. Go try EVE if you think this game is hard))

P.S. don't tell me about "I don't have time to level this fast". As I said the only point of my post is: if you think just a little and aquire some skills your progression in this game will be limited only by amount of XP but not by money or available ships, etc. If you know how to play the only problem will be "how to get to a next rank so I can finally sail a ship I already aquired for this next rank", not "how to get a ship for my current rank".

Edited by beduin
  • Like 4

• 4th rates and higher vessels repair prices increased 50%
    • Mission rewards fixed - missions now give fixed 5000 gold: favoring young players and giving no advantage for higher levels who have other options to make money

So now its impossible to make money with repair kits costing a possible 3000 gold.     you make 2000 gold a mission.....  missions are now not worth it based on time taken