Game-Labs Forum

National news reforms - Important

admin

Dear Captains

Over the last 2 months NN section provided the entertainment and information for Captains across Caribbean. At the same time it also provided the endless source of accusations, minor and major trolling and grief. It distracted players from being focused on gameplay mechanics, forcing them to participate in light forum PvP instead of providing the feedback on the game.  

​We want to refocus this forum on the development issues. Captains spend too much time fighting each other on the forum instead of helping us and each other to make the game better. we are not satisfied with the level of collaborative work (open development) and National news raises tension that spillover to other parts of the forum. 

Verdict:

The National news section will be locked tomorrow. It might be unlocked in the future. 

PS.

This also provides excellent opportunity for some adventurous captain to create a forum dedicated for forum pvp with no moderation. 

• Like 41

Awww yis where can we start this new 3rd party site where we murder each other with words and memes.

In all seriousness, it is a bit sad that it has to be locked down, but it is too easy to be driven by passion and bad moods.

now all that remains is to lock and do away with the tribunal system too. 

getting there

tribunal is somewhat helpful in finding holes in design that allow trolling + helps define the rules better.

• Like 2

now all that remains is to lock and do away with the tribunal system too. 

getting there

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of "abusive" tribunal topics were the direct result of too much forum pvp in national news. I would be so bald to predict "bad" topics in tribunal will mostly cease to exist.

• Like 1

Captains spend too much time fighting each other on the forum instead of helping us and each other to make the game better. we are not satisfied with the level of collaborative work (open development) and National news raises tension that spillover to other parts of the forum. 

+1

What about the honest and community driven roleplay threads that are there ? Such as the bounty hunt thread and others.

Yes, Hethwil, myself and some others had community events based on roleplay planned (admin will get mail on this later) - can we has a forum section for strictly roleplay/community events please? Possibly with VERY hard moderation?

• Like 5

I'm very sad to hear that the good old news and political situations will be gone :(

Get your own spot with PM and keep updating it based on few select representatives - also communicating via PM.

With all due respect (and a lot is due!) the insides of your topic were... well... rotten to the core. Too many people used it for more pvp.

I think we should restrict the National News to Role Play only, and delete all the posts that are not RP,

Insulting other as RP are allowed, Insulting other because of racism in real life or other IRL stuffs are not. :lol:

Edited by thp
  • Like 1

I think we should restrict the National News to Role Play only, and delete all the posts that are not RP,

Insulting other as RP are allowed, Insulting other because of racism in real life or other IRL stuffs are not. :lol:

We tried but it always deteriorates. Someone says something and here we go.

We would prefer constructive fights on repairs, timers, etc.

NN gives too much unnecessary work for volunteers - 90% of abuse reports come from there. Many great design ideas and suggestions are getting lost because those reports take so much attention away

Unmoderated outside forum (fiery pit) is the best solution.

• Like 1

It would take approximately 10 minutes before you get to your first "is it RP insult or RL insult?" debate.

• Like 1

Main issue that resulted in a ton of useless and outright offensive threads and posts was indeed the lack of maturity to want or know the difference.

Many knew exactly what they were doing and kept masking themselves under the RP veil.

Shame shame.

Best for this would be a specific Board for Community Roleplay & Events, with very specific rules and NOT entitled to anything relating to War&Peace which, reading Admin post, might have its own forum arena...

Best "national" news ever! The NN part is affecting way too much to politics ingame. Only minority of captains read these forums, yet all politics seem to be played here. These "news" turn nations against nations. Only a few trolls can ruin the reputation of whole nation when these "news" that the trolls provide are taken as consensus of their nation and then repeated ingame.

E.g. Its been earlier asked why people hate Britain so much to go 4vs1 against them. The anwsers mostly point to the writings and actions of few individuals. Then these been repeated ingame/clan chats and now all believe  that the word of these few individuals present the whole nation. If you ask a common player of any faction, I bet 9 out of 10 do not even know the claimed reasons behind the British hate.

Let the cannons speak, not the trolls.

• Like 1

I'm all for making Bloody Hound and Hethwill Mods so they can keep on posting here with their proper an awesome RP.

At the same time I think there should be a strictly moderated, seperated diplomatic forum opened, only open for diplomats of the most major clans per nation,bit readable by all.

This way we would have an improvised and from the gamedesigners sanctioned diplomatic system until a proper system is implemented.

• Like 1

Main issue that resulted in a ton of useless and outright offensive threads and posts was indeed the lack of maturity to want or know the difference.

Many knew exactly what they were doing and kept masking themselves under the RP veil.

Shame shame.

Best for this would be a specific Board for Community Roleplay & Events, with very specific rules and NOT entitled to anything relating to War&Peace which, reading Admin post, might have its own forum arena...

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want a pre-modded RP forums. Pre-modded as in posts don't even show up until approved by a mod. I guess it would take a week or two of hectic trolling attempts, but it would do to the trolls what trolls hate the most - take the attention away! :3

• Like 4

Well RP is just the form, you can say the same thing even if you dont need to use any rude or nasty words in a RP post. People are just too lazy to do it and use the lowest commun form to insult others. :lol:

I dont think this is a good idea. Flamewar will follow to other topics. Here all the trolls had a place to be.

We wont accept any trolling the other topics, this is going to be a place where the developers and the forum goers can go and create a better game together.

• Like 3

Well RP is just the form, you can say the same thing even if you dont need to use any rude or nasty words in a RP post. People are just too lazy to do it and use the lowest commun form to insult others. :lol:

From my experience the problem was perfectly opposite. People using the vague RP rules or "facts" to sneak in insults that would be out of place anywhere on the forums, but in the NN they were extremely hard to police. All the "honour debates" around any country's peace talks, the "russian train", the "lapdogs of X" all were fun and light the first time around, until repeated ad nauseam and to the point where it was obvious it wasn't RP anymore but very sour and personal thing indeed.

And there was the problem - how do you differentiate the light-hearted jab from a serious punch? Because if you leave these hidden punches in there, the underlying feeling will bleed through the posts sooner or later and it will sour everyone in there, were his intentions good or bad. And even if you were able to perfectly define where the problem begins - what is funny jab and what is a hidden insult - you are powerless to stop the bad guy until it's too late.

• Like 1

So basicly because people are into the politics and Diplomacy (wich are ALWAYS a dangerous place no matter what).

It did showed a problem with the game:

There is NO real Diplomatic tools, the Councils of Nation are nice, but they have 0 real power over the globality of the players. A SINGLE CLAN can start a war and completly destroy WEEKS of Discussion.

If you want less flame and trolls and more real advancement. You need to give us the tools to install for GOOD a way to have official Dimplomacy with sanction if there are not followed by the players of the nation.

Same thing: Why is there some clans who have there OWN thread in a DIPLOMATIC? You know at who I am looking at.

Now I understand why you close that section, but isn't it a bit too late to do that now? Will it REALLY solve the problem? Don't you think the problem will just not move in another place?

Edited by KuroNyra

And you accepted it in national news? Dont get me wrong, i know you have a hard job to do, but if you were not capable of controlling the content in national news, how are you going to controll all the other threads.

Because it is very clear that in the other subformums RP is not part of the discussion, so it is easier to crack down on trolls which walk the line between breaking rules and not(which there were a few i admit)

So basicly because people are into the politics and Diplomacy (wich are ALWAYS a dangerous place no matter what).

It did showed a problem with the game:

There is NO real Diplomatic tools, the Councils of Nation are nice, but they have 0 real power over the globality of the players. A SINGLE CLAN can start a war and completly destroy WEEKS of Discussion.

If you want less flame and trolls and more real advancement. You need to give us the tools to install for GOOD a way to have official Dimplomacy with sanction if there are not followed by the players of the nation.

Same thing: Why is there some clans who have there OWN thread in a DIPLOMATIC? You know at who I am looking at.

Now I understand why you close that section, but isn't it a bit too late to do that now? Will it REALLY solve the problem? Don't you think the problem will just not move in another place?

It will allow the developers and mods to more easily moderate the forums and to find out the gems of suggestions and such that appear which can easily become lost due to NN taking a lot of time.

Yes, we know. With all due respect, Kuro, but this is not a place for your personal war against DRUNK. If anything, you should be happy for it to end.

As for your points - we've seen much more hostility on national fronts than on nation/rouge clans fronts. Even with proper politics and diplomacy in game, the hostility won't go away.