Game-Labs Forum

Cartagena caulking refit

I'd like to suggest:

Remove the magic upgrades. Cartagena is downright overpowered and magical and so is for example the bovenwinds refit and the gazelle figurehead. They don't add anything to the gameplay and they are just magical upgrades..

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

magical tar it is because it has no drawbacks. If most put it on Live Oak/White Oak 8.4 knots 1st rates, these ships will suddenly be 8.0 knots super slow and easy to kill or board or kite.

It's magic because no tar in the world would increase the density of the planks by 7%.. I could accept it having an effect on firechance, or speed, or even maintenance if that were a feature ingame.. but not as a magical way to increase the hull-density.. 

I really like the idea of a wide variety of upgrades in this game. In fact, I think we need even more to make a greater diversity of builds.

But some upgrades will always clearly be best-in-slot, a choice with no downsides, or both. Cartagena Caulking is the both.

When upgrades are too strong, it actually detracts from the variety of builds I hope we can achieve, since everyone feels compelled to use it. This one could definitely use a speed debuff - after all, we are apparently applying such a great quantity of tar that the ship itself thickens. =)

• Like 1

I think there are 2 big problems with the cartagena caulking refit --

1. It has absolutely no downsides to the bonuses and needs either like a slow debuff or some other malus, less HPs perhaps?

2. It is the ONLY refit of it's type, and i believe we should have more. We have like 7 speed mods, why not have a thickness mod in the gulf or something?

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 3

I think all mods need to be more available.

Cartagena caulking refit does need some sort of change.  I agree it needs to have a penalty of some sort.  probably a speed reduction and perhaps a turn rate reduction.  and reducing the amount of bonus from 7% to 5% would make sense to me.  you make it much less then 5%, it might not be worth the penalties.

On 10/28/2017 at 7:47 AM, Peter Goldman said:

magical tar it is because it has no drawbacks. If most put it on Live Oak/White Oak 8.4 knots 1st rates, these ships will suddenly be 8.0 knots super slow and easy to kill or board or kite.

No more magical then the suddenly super slow LO/WO builds for no actual reason....  

Just now, Peter Goldman said:

It is as magical as slow live oak ships. Many ships built in the Royal Navy were live oak and they were fast.

Actually not many ships in the Royal navy were made of Live Oak.  It is EXTREMELY expensive to work with and make ships out of.  The USS Constitution was one of a few actually built of Live Oak. 

There were dozens if not hundreds of ships built out of Oak, and White Oak.   Both could be found in England, but Live Oak is not at all found in England. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 4:01 PM, Bearwall said:

I'd like to suggest:

Remove the magic upgrades. Cartagena is downright overpowered and magical and so is for example the bovenwinds refit and the gazelle figurehead. They don't add anything to the gameplay and they are just magical upgrades..

Bovenwind is now garbage, so you got one of your wish.

and by the way, why is everyone so concerned with tanky ships needing more and more speed downsides? They're tanky to begin with, you can easily sail away from them. Can we talk about giving super fast raceboat ships some significant downsides first? The physics coefficient of copper plating isn't even a real downside, it helps turn through the wind faster. The extra crew required on gazelle or bovenwinds? meh.

And nevermind that naval whatever refit now gives +3.5% speed at *no* downside at all.

Edited by Quineloe

23 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

It is as magical as slow live oak ships. Many ships built in the Royal Navy were live oak and they were fast.

Exactly. The speed penalties for the tanky woods are comically high compared to the little bit or armor reduction on fir/fir.

1 hour ago, Quineloe said:

Bovenwind is now garbage, so you got one of your wish.

and by the way, why is everyone so concerned with tanky ships needing more and more speed downsides? They're tanky to begin with, you can easily sail away from them. Can we talk about giving super fast raceboat ships some significant downsides first? The physics coefficient of copper plating isn't even a real downside, it helps turn through the wind faster. The extra crew required on gazelle or bovenwinds? meh.

And nevermind that naval whatever refit now gives +3.5% speed at *no* downside at all.

I think I have covered my antagonism towards the many, many, many magical speedupgrades in other topics..