Game-Labs Forum

It's Time to Merge the Servers!!

16 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

To OP: Seriously no! You guys got exactly what you whined, cried, lobbied, raged, griefed and almost killed off a server population for. You now you have your own dedicated Global server with PBs 24/7. Please just stay there! And leave the EU population on the EU server be in peace.

What ever changes devs will bring for us to test, I'm sure in their infinite wisdom they will see it fit to test them on a server with an open and a locked PB capture window.

Developers have infinite wisdom? you are kidding right?

3 hours ago, Anolytic said:

No. 

I wanted a unified server to work all along, but as it happened the server split was the best thing to happen to this game for a long time. And with the current server architecture, no matter where you put it - US or EU - a single server would make the game simply inaccessible to some players. 500 ping is alright for this game. 1500 ping minimum and with instability is not. I know that OP doesn't care that some player just have to "bite the bullet and not be able to play", but there should be servers so that players from all over the world that wants to play this game can reasonably do so.

Problem is unless you can get 500+ players to come back to BOTH servers.. this game is just going to die... it is that simple

Just now, CaptVonGunn said:

Don't have to ask... game mechanics suck.. Combat is awesome.. Graphics are great.. Sailing in  well modeled..  the rest...<sigh>

Well :)

Game is boring, and you can have 1 server with 700 players or 2 with 500/200 , it won`t change a thing.

Constant 1 step forward, 2 back, eternal change of mechanics  and endless discussions about..Mast thickness for example, and i log in and i am bored..

There was 1 server few months ago, the things were better? i guess not.

6 minutes ago, Cortez said:

Game is boring, and you can have 1 server with 700 players or 2 with 500/200 , it won`t change a thing.

Constant 1 step forward, 2 back, eternal change of mechanics  and endless discussions about..Mast thickness for example, and i log in and i am bored..

I don't find the game boring when you can find someone to fight... As I don't care about the RvR part at ALL... I prefer 5th rates and they have basically ZERO place in the Old or current RvR design...  Which sucks.. the ship class that made of the Majority of Every Nations Navy has no real place in game except PvP in small engagements.. No raids on cutting out missions.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cortez said:

But you won't have one  server with a pop of 700. That was the very lesson of the nightflips - merge the servers and get 1 server with 400 pop. Why kill one server because another can't create a meaningfull environment? On global thy one-ported the spanish (easy to do as no one wanted to play spain) they have Sweden in lifesupport (because no one wanted to play sweden), France, Denmark-Norway and Verenigde Provincien has about the same total population as the pirates, the US magically became the brits and the brits are the largest faction of incompetents just as they are on EU server. The major issue here is that people join a nation they feel affiliated with and that makes for poor gameplay on a server that is basically US and Aussie related (major english speaking countries with affiliation for England and US). Why kill off EU server because the global got cought in the very problem they already expected before the great hurricane? (I think we all were mildly amused at Christendoms efforts to balance out the nations - a clear sign of foresight only doomed to failure as no one really  wanted to play something other than their own nation).

9 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

But you won't have one  server with a pop of 700. That was the very lesson of the nightflips - merge the servers and get 1 server with 400 pop. Why kill one server because another can't create a meaningfull environment? On global thy one-ported the spanish (easy to do as no one wanted to play spain) they have Sweden in lifesupport (because no one wanted to play sweden), France, Denmark-Norway and Verenigde Provincien has about the same total population as the pirates, the US magically became the brits and the brits are the largest faction of incompetents just as they are on EU server. The major issue here is that people join a nation they feel affiliated with and that makes for poor gameplay on a server that is basically US and Aussie related (major english speaking countries with affiliation for England and US). Why kill off EU server because the global got cought in the very problem they already expected before the great hurricane? (I think we all were mildly amused at Christendoms efforts to balance out the nations - a clear sign of foresight only doomed to failure as no one really  wanted to play something other than their own nation).

The EU server is already dying to...  DO away with the Region flips.. Require either several days for Hostility to build(and be countered) Make War Supplies what you need to actually ATTACK (buy the Flag with it as it were)not to create Hostility.  Allow  Port Owners to set Port attack window but it can only be set once and must be overlap the window it was taken in by 50% on one end or the other.. I would say a 4 hour window .   So you take a port that has a 1300-1700 window... You can set the start time for your window from 1100-1500...  LImit the total number of attacks on any one Nation/Group whatever in a server day... no pig pile warfare..

Edited by CaptVonGunn

8 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

I am not voting for server merge.

I am waiting for this game to be killed by their developers.

45 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

But you won't have one  server with a pop of 700. That was the very lesson of the nightflips - merge the servers and get 1 server with 400 pop.

We're talking about eliminating the port battle night flips so we CAN have one server. 

1 hour ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

We're talking about eliminating the port battle night flips so we CAN have one server. 

We've had that discussion too many times to be of any value again. The problem will persist wether the entities are called "nations" or "companies" - No difference but the name.

2 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

The EU server is already dying to...  DO away with the Region flips.. Require either several days for Hostility to build(and be countered) Make War Supplies what you need to actually ATTACK (buy the Flag with it as it were)not to create Hostility.  Allow  Port Owners to set Port attack window but it can only be set once and must be overlap the window it was taken in by 50% on one end or the other.. I would say a 4 hour window .   So you take a port that has a 1300-1700 window... You can set the start time for your window from 1100-1500...  LImit the total number of attacks on any one Nation/Group whatever in a server day... no pig pile warfare..

The EU server has a stable pop of 500.. Is this good enough? - no but it is not the RvR that is the root problem of the pop decrease. The root problem is the endless grind, the poor economy that makes some (like me) make millions for very little effort and others who can barely scrape by. A crafting system that has gotten more flaws with the latest update than fewer and a PvP system that promotes gank-squads and gives very little rewards to solo hunters. And did I mention the endless grind + timesink AFK sailing?

The old misconception rears it's head.  Merging the servers will not increase the population on the remaining server significantly.

When one server peaks the other is at the low ebb.   There is no magic that will allow the players that are playing at the peak time on the EU server to mix with the peak time on the Global server.   At best we may make a small gain in population at the expense of a bunch of players quitting because they are forced onto a server they detest.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

The old misconception rears it's head.  Merging the servers will not increase the population on the remaining server significantly.

When one server peaks the other is at the low ebb.   There is no magic that will allow the players that are playing at the peak time on the EU server to mix with the peak time on the Global server.   At best we may make a small gain in population at the expense of a bunch of players quitting because they are forced onto a server they detest.

Those ebbs are one of the big problems.  Smoothing the population out over 24 hours would help retain players that are mostly on the servers when the population is lower, and people would not quit as early if they didn't see the population dropping off so fast when does drop.  We don't need more players at peak times - we need them in the non-peak times.

25 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Except fr those of us that are Late night US... We get low pop everywhere.... But in a merged server we would have 200-250 even in the bad times. I see during my combat login times 85-120 on EU.. I have checked Global at same times.. roughly same numbers... so yes it would make a better game for few hundred of us.. BUt explain to me how it would be a BAD thing for anyone ? More chance of people being online no matter when you login has to be better then 6-10 hours of hardly anyone at all every day

I am all for the merge of the servers, expecially with the new "rvr" changes coming in.

The only reason I was for the extra servers, was when one was not enough to allow all players to log in the single server there was, but now, we are down a lot of players and Im sure that a single server will have more than enough space to house all active players.

I guess that pve players can keep their relaxed area, thats fine with me (I would still prefer if they would be on the pvp server, and having players protect them from pvp, but thats another fight)

1 hour ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

We don't need more players at peak times - we need them in the non-peak times.

Some people suggest we need thousands not just hundreds of players.  Previously we played when we had thousands and needed three servers to accommodate the numbers and implemented an auto-kick for inactivity to prevent players from camping and occupying a valuable spot.  My comment was in response to the sediment that increasing the population will save the game, and merging the servers will increase the population.    Merging will not increase the numbers.  Merging will decrease the amount of players.

The numbers that we currently have will just not really matter if we merge the non-peak times.   It simply won't make any difference.

If we had 4 servers with 100-500 players and merged them all then the population difference would be noticeable.

1 hour ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Except fr those of us that are Late night US... We get low pop everywhere.... But in a merged server we would have 200-250 even in the bad times. I see during my combat login times 85-120 on EU.. I have checked Global at same times.. roughly same numbers... so yes it would make a better game for few hundred of us.. BUt explain to me how it would be a BAD thing for anyone ? More chance of people being online no matter when you login has to be better then 6-10 hours of hardly anyone at all every day

I'm not convinced that just having a couple  hundred players (rather than 60 or 100) when the server is low will make a such a huge difference to the game.    I checked the numbers also.  For about 3 months in 2017.  The difference between the servers (if everyone stayed) was about 60-80 players.

And you will never have the full 60 players at your disposal to fight with.  If you are lucky you may have an additional 10 or 20 players within your grasp on the merged server during the low period.   You might see a number on the bottom of your screen that says "Online 186" rather than "Online 125"  but you will not notice a difference in the game play.  You won't see the 30 extra players in ports crafting and trading, and you certainly won't see 10-15 players sailing about  in more remote areas because they enjoy it.  And you will not notice the 15-20 players spread out over the entire OW looking for you to fight with.

Some players play because they are fond of the players they interact with.  Others like trading.  Or crafting.  Not everyone is interested in PvP combat all of the time.  It's not so bad making trade runs when the server is quiet and a little safer.

Forcing everyone on to a single server will result in some players quitting.  Some just don't like the culture of the other server.  Some think they get reduced performance, and it really doesn't matter if they do or don't.  What matters is that they will quit because they are having their faces forced into a dish that they dislike.  There are players that use both servers and they may drop the game if the choice is removed.

Merging the servers will not increase the numbers significantly.   Naval Action is a good game.  People will stay and play because of the content,  not because you remove their choice of servers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

I guess you weren't there for the nightflips. Didn't experience the hard work at day being stolen by someone else in the night because they were too poor at the game to take it by force during the day. I have nothing against US players and in principle I have nothing against the global server - but I don't see the reasoning behind salvaging a server that has been known for nothing but toxicity and a singlemindedness towards one-porting weaker nations, only to lose a well-functioning server  that in general has a decent community, where one-porting is hopefully a thing of the past and where the population is evenly distributed. You want meaningfull gameplay? - join the spanish on global and make it into something else than a joke. Why does ppl stop playing global when it is basically the same mechanics as EU servers? - one thing is the global concept - nightflipping. Another is the unevenly distributed players and that you have only yourself to blame for. Christendom even recognized the potential problem from before the wipe.

The thing is that all this argument wont matter a bit if they bring back the mechanic of port owners setting a 3 hour window when they can be attacked. I personally would move back to the EU server as then I would be able to help defend ports in a time that suited the War Company I was with. I live in the UK and used to play on PvP1 but decided to change to Global because the PB timers did not fit my game time. With the proposed new mechanic I can join a War Group that can set PB defenses at a time that suits me. For attacks I am sure we can arrange a suitable day when we can attack even if it means a late night or early morning once in a while, because if we win we change the time to suit ourselves.

The only other issue then would be the ping issue, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones who does not have a problem whether the server is in EU or US. As it stands if they bring in the changes I think Global server will die.

13 minutes ago, Alado said:

Of cuorse, attack in your timezone, and in your server, we happy here and dont need back to the shit of nightflips, i hope you are happy there too

But there wont be any night flips as defender you set the 3 hour window you can be attacked in.

1 hour ago, Bearwall said:

I guess you weren't there for the nightflips. Didn't experience the hard work at day being stolen by someone else in the night because they were too poor at the game to take it by force during the day. I have nothing against US players and in principle I have nothing against the global server - but I don't see the reasoning behind salvaging a server that has been known for nothing but toxicity and a singlemindedness towards one-porting weaker nations, only to lose a well-functioning server  that in general has a decent community, where one-porting is hopefully a thing of the past and where the population is evenly distributed. You want meaningfull gameplay? - join the spanish on global and make it into something else than a joke. Why does ppl stop playing global when it is basically the same mechanics as EU servers? - one thing is the global concept - nightflipping. Another is the unevenly distributed players and that you have only yourself to blame for. Christendom even recognized the potential problem from before the wipe.

Which is why port flipping if it stays needs to be done across 3 or 5 battle spread across all time zones..  winner of majority wins.  I stays on EU because all my friends were here and during my time to play that used to still be a decent number... Now it is not on either server and a lot of that loss is the Devs just reinventing teh wheel over and over without any major upgrade