Game-Labs Forum

Refined boarding systems

Refined Boarding Systems  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should we implement a refined boarding system?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What style of a boarding system should it be?

• A RTS (crew group system)
    • A FPS (Sword and pistols style)
    • An Hybrid (Sword and pistols+RTS elements)
    • I prefer the current boarding system

Hello Guys ! I have an idea which I think would improve this game. Basically, we could improve the boarding mechanics, or rather do a complete overhaul. At this moment, ALL of the combat mechanics are pretty well polished in my opinion, and props to the devs for that. But, the boarding component of the game feels like playing some card game. Sure there's some strategy, but it's as if we're missing on the real stuff, hidden behind some raw data. 

First option : The RTS way

So here's what I propose for the RTS way. We could basically have crews group to manage in the boarding battle, on the actual ships. We could order them to do pretty much any of the options we see in the current boarding system (attack/defend/muskets etc.) Every instructions ordered would have a loading timer period, a bit like when you want to fire with your cannons. So some actions might take longer to set up AFTER being ordered to do so. The time needed would also be function of the distance between the crew group selected and the location the target (ex crew is attacking enemy boat and you order them to get back on the boat to fire main deck guns. For ease of use, each crew group could be assigned the 1 2 3 4 etc. keys, for which there would be several sub options available to do. After selecting an option, you would be required to point out a target in some cases (attack, defend for exemple).

Second option : The FPS way

A whole other way to do it would be to actually be stricly in command of your captain, using your sword and pistols, doing some fancy stuff. At this point, you get the idea I'm pretty sure.

Third option : The hybrid

Finally, we could also do an hybrid of the RTS/FPS way, allowing you to hack'n'slash your way through the enemy while issuing orders to your crew.

There's a lot more stuff that can be said about this eventual new boarding mechanics. Let us discuss about it together.

Greetings,

RockNRollMachine

There is a Mount & Blade offshoot called Caribbean which is thematically the same as this game, but has the Mount & Blade combat system still in it for boarding actions.

Their naval combat is really primitive and rudimentary compared to this game, but being able to train up your captain and equip him and actually join the fight during boarding is really cool.

I'm a staunch adversary of any avatar systems for the game (avatars, i.e. the ressource drain associated with them ruined PotBS in my opinion more than anything else) but i really could see how the current rock paper scissors game could evolve into something comparable to Sid Meyer Pirates' land action - i.e. strategic, turn based commandeering of your troups to various part of the ships with option similar to what we have now. I would however consider it a way lower priority than anything discussed in the priority poll.

• Like 3

I like the current, the concept is pretty good, dev just need to push it in something more advanced, with some nice pics/ arts and more options/possibility. But i m totally against any kind of FPS or RTS gameplay. I'm here to command a ship, not for playing mount and blade or BF4 or SC ! 

Edited by charognard666
  • Like 1

Well, if you board a ship, you can take its cargo. If you blow it to hell, you can't. Seems reasonable to me.

Given that the entire damn loot scheme in this game centers on boarding and you get absolutely nothing for any battle where you don't do it I don't think it should be a throwaway system. 

I dont mind the current way. Even though I would love to "see" them doing the action that I command. If I choose "deck guns", I would love to see my ship shooting the deck guns, see a couple crew go flying. Choose "grenades", then I would like to see them explode. "Attack", and see some crew crossing over swords swinging..Etc.

And, possibly a new UI for this, so I can see it.

Well, if you board a ship, you can take its cargo. If you blow it to hell, you can't. Seems reasonable to me.

How is that in any way an argument for why boarding which is so vitally important to the game should be a weird little rock, paper, scissors minigame instead of a fully featured system?

I understood it as he was bragging about not getting loot unless he boards. I tend to misunderstand complicated phrases.

How is that in any way an argument for why boarding which is so vitally important to the game should be a weird little rock, paper, scissors minigame instead of a fully featured system?

• 5 months later...

Boarding battles as they are currently modeled are long, boring and monotonous.

If nothing else is done I personally would simply like to see the number of crew killed per round increased combined with shorter times in boarding battles, to speed things along.

In reality, it is the crew that has the overwhelming numerical quantity that wins, modified somewhat by "quality".

I would propose setting criteria that must be met to be able to board in the first place.

An example would be, %50 or fewer sail, or loss on 2 or more masts, combined with at least a 2-1 advantage in crew and obviously the current limitations on ship speed.

The addition of the "Determined Defender" officer trait does some of this, and is realistic.

And in situation where gross advantage exists, I.E. a 450 crew Constitution initiates boarding of a 65 crew Trader Snow, the Boarding Battle shouldn't even fought. Victory should be automatic.

It will run in the same combat screen as the rest, so an rts running in that small space, calculating all incoming cannon balls, etc.  I think will be impossible.

I think 1st thing is, that we fire the grappling hooks, and we have to be side-by-side with the target.  Then I think it would be ok that the boarding axes are used to cut the ropes, if you want to disengage, and muskets to shoot the axemen.  So if you have good axemen and the other person does not have muskets -> End result, the boarding attempt fails.  Defender perk to make your axemen even more efficient.  You can also shoot the deckguns I suppose.  There could be some animation or indicator, that the enemy is about to throw the hooks.

If the hooks are not connected well, or speed difference is too big, or not enough hooks are connected, hooks may break.  You have X amount of hooks on board per battle.  Yes you have to hit the hooks "well", if you throw to the side, the hooks do nothing, and cooldown to wait that the men drag the hooks back in the ship.

When you have the hooks connected, you win the battle to pull the ship to your side, so that those are side-by-side, not so that there is a Santisima between the ships and boarding is going on.  Or that you move behind the enemy vessel, and then suddenly end in boarding situation.

After this it is possible to use your marines to actually board the enemy vessel.  But if you do this, you are not going to throw grenades there, to kill your own marines.

I think that 3d representation would not work.  Maybe some kind of 2d view from the top of the ships, and maybe even from every deck.  This view would be drawn over the 3d scene, as the current boarding is.  And then a minigame running 2d, and the upgrades there are should provide things for this minigame.  Maybe not even animation, maybe just sectors where your men move or attack, or something similar.  Not strongly against animations, but maybe sectors would actually work better in this case.

Then make sure that you have tactical option.  Every ships should have different layout, as those have, and maybe some boarding upgrades are better for some ships and worst for other.  Then you have to take over the sip.  But I suppose devs shall invent the rules, but definitely tactical game, where skill maters the most.  Skill would be more like tactical understanding than fps.

Well, you can imagine probably the rest.

edit.

Oh yes.  And if cannon balls hit the ship -> You map the hit from the 3d space to this 2d paper doll model, and cause the damage as those would on this 2d map.  Maybe if there are sectors, and when the cannon balls hit a sector, men from both side, who are in this sector may suffer casualties.

edit2.

Absolute no for FPS.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

I'd prefer a system like Endless Space were each round you and your opponent pick offense and defense cards that the other can't see and then it becomes a game of strategy, intuition, and playing to your strengths.

The advantages of such a system as well is that internet connection quality has no impact on the outcome.

• Like 1

Love the top down two ship forms side by side. Perhaps football manager style representing crew spilling over to the enemy ship. Captains could then react to the situation with orders similar to what we have now calling for different type of focus for their boarding/defending crew.

Alternatively, have a system similar to cards based games that is played in rounds - not dissimilar to Witcher Wild Hunt Gwent Card Game. Have a base group of cards but collect special disposable cards that have extra options. These could be loot, captured, traded and found on wreaks.

Edited by Carljcharles

anything that involves timing has to goas lag/latency can't change the game for people.

The card game works but needs to be more complex.  I have a version suggested which handles multiple decks and has a progression system that makes it more diverse.

The current system is a gear check really.

Youcant make something that takes too long because there is a battle going on around you.....you have to keep it to something like 5 minutes max with a double blind component IMO.

If I remember correctly, the devs stated a while ago they don't have the recourses to create any kind of avatar or similar(FPS)boarding system. An RTS style of gameplay is likely going to receive the same response.

Ithink an RTS style would be amazing, but I dont think it's gonna happen gents, at least not for a couple years.