Game-Labs Forum

Damage model 3.0 - Discussion

I haven't seen a lot of discussion of effects of rigging damage and dismasting (maybe I'm missing stuff within various damage posts). It would be great if use of chain shot etc. could result in dismasting that has more impact than just reduction in speed and maneuverability. Rigging trailing over the side causing enormous problems (loss of speed, dragging the bow into the wind, covering cannons, starting fires, dragging crew overboard, etc. etc.) had to be cleared by the crew thus abandoning every other task until complete. Has thought been given to this kind of mechanic?

Being chased by a superior enemy and trying for the lucky rigging shot or chasing an inferior, but faster enemy and doing the same could be fun and realistic. Imagine being chased in a storm by a big nasty ship, almost ready to surrender when you knock the foretopmast into the sea, the enemy ship slews to winward, gets pooped and suddenly sinks. So fun!

As happened to the Dutch ship in my sig!

I think that mechanic would be AWESOME.

I haven't seen a lot of discussion of effects of rigging damage and dismasting (maybe I'm missing stuff within various damage posts). It would be great if use of chain shot etc. could result in dismasting that has more impact than just reduction in speed and maneuverability. Rigging trailing over the side causing enormous problems (loss of speed, dragging the bow into the wind, covering cannons, starting fires, dragging crew overboard, etc. etc.) had to be cleared by the crew thus abandoning every other task until complete. Has thought been given to this kind of mechanic?

Being chased by a superior enemy and trying for the lucky rigging shot or chasing an inferior, but faster enemy and doing the same could be fun and realistic. Imagine being chased in a storm by a big nasty ship, almost ready to surrender when you knock the foretopmast into the sea, the enemy ship slews to winward, gets pooped and suddenly sinks. So fun!

I took out a main mast on a Frigate today in rough seas with chain - later in the battle it had grown back - hmmm - or was repaired?

Is it me or does (Carronade 18) cannonballs drop to fast or fly to fast? Other cannon shot hang in the air and look more realistic. Just my thoughts.

-Cannonball

Carronades are buggy at best right now. Advise not using them on bigger ships.

Their animation doesn't help.  The balls appear to fly faster than regular guns but have extremely short range.  They really should fly slower and retain the short range.  There's a bit of disconnect between the two.