Game-Labs Forum

Might get grief for this

I think small personalized flags could help increase the personalizing that many of us have desired with regard to ships.  I definitely want to keep a historic feel myself, but even a single pink flag with rainbows shooting out of a unicorn's butt (I do like the imagery) on a historic looking boat, with a national flag on the stern, won't be a complete immersion killer.  Additionally, for pirate players this could be a big drawing point as well, since they often had unique personal flags.  Also, there are the multiple different versions of national flags that could be represented as well.  And for fun, some more historical flags below.

aae6c8a9f806fe8a071ff9eff910a393.jpg

4a489cffc8a07faaeda4a823f03aea40.jpg

• Like 1

To add to this, I would love to be able to customise the paint job of ships. To prevent pink unicorn ships it could just give you a set of colour options (that are appropriate for the ships such as different wood finishes, dark blues, greens, black, grey, red etc) that you could assign to different parts of the ship such as the keel, top sides, deck, masts.

It would also be nice to see an option for different types of sails (maybe some neutral colours) as well as how ragged they look (purely for aesthetics).

• Like 2

To add to this, I would love to be able to customise the paint job of ships. To prevent pink unicorn ships it could just give you a set of colour options (that are appropriate for the ships such as different wood finishes, dark blues, greens, black, grey, red etc) that you could assign to different parts of the ship such as the keel, top sides, deck, masts.

It would also be nice to see an option for different types of sails (maybe some neutral colours) as well as how ragged they look (purely for aesthetics).

Essentially, this coloring option has been discussed before.  Having a couple of different base patterns for a ship, and then being able to chose the colors for each color area (gundeck stripe, gunwales, gunports, etc.).  Having a couple of reds, yellows, blues, greens, black, etc. (and no pink, unless it's like Victory's new color) would be easy enough as well.

• Like 1

There are many people who would be more than willing to make flags for Game Labs for free if they could add a customization option to the ships.  The community or moderators could vote on the "stock flags" list that players have access to by default (restricted by nation of course).  After that perhaps there is a way to get pre-approved flags added, or even premium flags. 

There could be customization options to replace all the flags on your ship.  There could be alternate national flags and not just alternates for the small ones.  For Example, you could have the Swedish Flag that is currently in game but the player could switch it out for the historical Swedish flag with swallow tails.  British players could pick between the White, Red or Blue ensign.  There could also be the option for the historical British flag of the time period. 

Griz and I have made a lot of flags to replace those already in game and I have posted some of our results around the forums.  I would be more than willing to make alternate flags for free because I have modified many of the flags and I want an easier way of getting my modded work in game than the current method :D

There is a problem with flags with words if I remember right.  The backside will be inverted but I'd have to double check.

I personally do not want to see customized sails.  Maybe if there is a weathered version so they aren't so pristine, but no different colors or coat of arms, or anything like that.

• Like 2

That would work i would imagine prater, would also be nice to see flags which are rewarded for certain achievements

Also regarding the words on flag things, an easy work around would probably be to not mirror both sides of the flag, but rather invert them short of(so that the text is always read from left to right), should be doable, not daveled a lot on the 3d aspects of unity so dont know how easy that is

There are many people who would be more than willing to make flags for Game Labs for free if they could add a customization option to the ships.  The community or moderators could vote on the "stock flags" list that players have access to by default (restricted by nation of course).  After that perhaps there is a way to get pre-approved flags added, or even premium flags. 

There could be customization options to replace all the flags on your ship.  There could be alternate national flags and not just alternates for the small ones.  For Example, you could have the Swedish Flag that is currently in game but the player could switch it out for the historical Swedish flag with swallow tails.  British players could pick between the White, Red or Blue ensign.  There could also be the option for the historical British flag of the time period. 

Griz and I have made a lot of flags to replace those already in game and I have posted some of our results around the forums.  I would be more than willing to make alternate flags for free because I have modified many of the flags and I want an easier way of getting my modded work in game than the current method :D

There is a problem with flags with words if I remember right.  The backside will be inverted but I'd have to double check.

I personally do not want to see customized sails.  Maybe if there is a weathered version so they aren't so pristine, but no different colors or coat of arms, or anything like that.

I'd kill for the opportunity to fly the original Navy Jack from the back stay, or anywhere really (yes, yes, I know, you didn't normally fly a jack unless docked, but it's my favorite flag from American History, bar none).

Edited by Oliver H. Perry
  • Like 2

I'd kill for the opportunity to fly the original Navy Jack from the back stay, or anywhere really (yes, yes, I know, you didn't normally fly a jack unless docked, but it's my favorite flag from American History, bar none).

I think prater knows how to do it - but it will only be visible to you