Game-Labs Forum

I guess everyone wanted to see the biggest meanest ship in NA before it stops being so...so just in the nick of time to keep the "biggest dude around" spotlight in a video before the Spanish Awesomeness comes...

Enjoy!

Well, this video I think it's quite good to understand how even making an impecable job in the initial stages of the fight you can actually risk the whole result by poor decision making near the end. Starting with a series of perfectly timed moves I started a streak of terrible decision making that came close to costing me dearly when I was within grasp of an almost faultless victory. Always keep your focus up, even while you think the victory's already yours :)

First video from me on Naval Action, I also streamed 5-6 games in the Lynx, I might try to mix the others together in a sort of montage, but I'll be forced to use Youtube for the stitching together. The quality is good overall with some slight pixelation due to the broadcast. I'll possibly try recording next time and then edit it before dropping it onto Youtube, but I'm fairly happy with this to begin with and obviously there will be more to follow! ;)

Looking forward to the full release and future developments, keep up the good work!

One more from that broadcast, some really nice weather and ramming :o

Well, this video I think it's quite good to understand how even making an impecable job in the initial stages of the fight you can actually risk the whole result by poor decision making near the end. Starting with a series of perfectly timed moves I started a streak of terrible decision making that came close to costing me dearly when I was within grasp of an almost faultless victory. Always keep your focus up, even while you think the victory's already yours :)

Dang, I knew you would publish that video :D  Mrdoran has taught me enough times that if I pull off like that at the beginning I'm just going to get raked the entire match so I should have known better. What works on the ai does not work on good opponents.  If it wasn't for my jerk move at the end where I forced you to ram me it would have been flawless for you.

On the pulling part, this is a perfect video for showing that it needs to be reworked.

It is also a clear video on how making the wrong tactical decision at the beginning can get you off on the wrong foot and pretty much decide the battle as long as your opponent doesn't start making mistakes.  Even with a couple mistakes on your part I was too badly damaged to really make a difference.  I probably should have tried to board you and take my chances there.

This battle was pretty much decided after first broadside exchange, still somewhat interesting to watch the first half. Prater do you notice how your opponent was almost like dancing around you (in the end even too much dancing which caused him getting raked while he could have just perhaps ended it by sidelocking from a distance and outrepairing you but that's not very youtube-worthy I guess), switching broadsides after each shot for maximum damage output while you kept yourself a bit too reserved there with the slow speeds, not to mention that you gave away the wind without a fight in the beginning. In such case you will usually start tandem-style broadside exchange where you have to pay close attention when the enemy unmasks his broadside so you can instantly counter-fire back at him to keep things even until a better opportunity comes up. But recognizing all these opportunities will take experience which you can only get by fighting against better players so this is the best way to learn and yes, you can get very bad habits from fighting the bots.

Got my key the other day and here is my first of hopefully many Naval Action videos. Fights last long enough I don't think I'll be able to squeeze more than one in in the future but this was a longer song and felt like getting the two smaller ships out of the way in one shot. Next vid will be the Brig.

GFs all around!

• Like 1

Think this one is my highest damage record yet :)

I am not sure if to laugh or cry observing the enemy first rate...

Failing to react to your first starboard turn and keeping it's course into the wind and then making a turn THROUGH the wind in a brick like that, resulting in getting the most important and powerful vessel isolated from battle for a good few minutes, leaving their Constitutions totally on their own in a linefight against first rates.

No matter what mistakes you make in this battle, against such anarchy you have to be very skilled to lose. The captain would likely be keelhauled and the whole crew too for not mutinying against the decisions.

I cannot wait for the fleet commander tab to be implemented to see if the situation get's better because these bigger team battles need some sort of discipline and team spirit instead of each man for his own in different corner of the map. I love the fact that the battle depends on who sails the most important ships, leaving it to skill and experience to decide the outcome but then again, as a lower tier vessel you are dependant on who sails the most powerful ship in your team, no matter how hard you work or what kind of magic you manage to pull off.

That and the friendly surprise failing to change course as the friendly Santisima bore down on him.  Yet, it is those kind of mistakes that swing the outcome of a battle.  Frustrating as they may be.

That friendly ram almost costed us the battle. I had to run over to the other side to at least try to distract the enemy ST from our owns, because without bowsprit had I kept my own course soon the enemy ST would've been engaging us both at the same time from both his sides, thus negating our 2 vs 1 first rate superiority. So I just was forced to eat the inevitable nuclear blast from the rear I received as it was the only way I could fall to the same side as our own ST to keep the enemy attention away from him.

Then I somehow I found some space to turn around within the very small space between our ships to fall to his rear (who says 1st rates don't turn? mine does it in a dime!!!!) and deal the rake that finished enemy's Santisima. But had I not raced to that position, we'd been in a horrible tactical situation. I'm planning to do a pretty long tactics video about the mistakes seen in that battle (in both sides). Sadly a lot of people tend to just not bother watching my tactical videos...as is proven by the fact that this battle will soon have more views than the previous video I uploaded where I explain a little bit about teamwork tactics and give some first insights into line of battle discipline...

That friendly ram almost costed us the battle. I had to run over to the other side to at least try to distract the enemy ST from our owns, because without bowsprit had I kept my own course soon the enemy ST would've been engaging us both at the same time from both his sides, thus negating our 2 vs 1 first rate superiority. So I just was forced to eat the inevitable nuclear blast from the rear I received as it was the only way I could fall to the same side as our own ST to keep the enemy attention away from him.

Then I somehow I found some space to turn around within the very small space between our ships to fall to his rear (who says 1st rates don't turn? mine does it in a dime!!!!) and deal the rake that finished enemy's Santisima. But had I not raced to that position, we'd been in a horrible tactical situation. I'm planning to do a pretty long tactics video about the mistakes seen in that battle (in both sides). Sadly a lot of people tend to just not bother watching my tactical videos...as is proven by the fact that this battle will soon have more views than the previous video I uploaded where I explain a little bit about teamwork tactics and give some first insights into line of battle discipline...

Tell me about it.  While in a Bellona fighting a Victory, a Surprise and a Trincomalee rammed my ship from both sides at the bow within seconds of each other as they chased the stern of the Victory.  I was pointing out that they would be crashing into me if they didn't change course.  I could turn either way because they were coming at me from both sides!  Surprise sunk due to the ram, Trincomalee never recovered and I barely hung on having used two repairs.  The outcome wasn't difficult to deduce.  This happened within seconds of coming into range and the battle was good as done before it even started.

I did notice that raking but it had to be done.  Otherwise he may have taken both of you out.  

Still learning the subtleties of Naval Action but have begun making a series of noob videos featuring each ship as I unlock them and get enough victories to make me look not completely terrible o_o

If you come from PotBS you may have known me on Tiggy as Devante del Nero or "Video Mace" on account of I made videos and usually sailed a 'Macedon' fourth rate.

(Some videos may contain mild mature language)

Day 1: Lynx and Cutter

Day 2: Brig