Game-Labs Forum

Ammo types and ammo limit

So my idea is to add ammo count to the game and more ammo types. I feel that there should be ammo limit and the player should have to buy more ammo to refill his stores. The player should be able to choose the amount and type of shot that is aboard his ship based on how much he can carry. Most ships should be able to carry enough ammo to last multiple battles but it would depend on how much ammo you use during battle.

I also think that there should be more ammo types added to the game.

Canister shot- wasn't used as much on warships but still historical and would be better against crew than grape.

Langrage- just for fun, this shot is bags made up of things such as scrap metal, bolts, rocks, gravel, old musket balls, etc etc. this shot would be really cheap and mostly used my small ships and pirates since it wasn't used on warships (that I know of)

Heated shot- only should be for forts and not used in ships. It would be very deadly for ships. Good for port battles (if they have forts in them I'm not sure)

I know these ammo types are mostly the same as what we have in game but I like variety. I just like the idea of limited ammo because I like managing shit and it would be funny if i entered a battle with low ammo and run out. It may also save your life if a player attacks you and suddenly runs out of ammo, then you would have the upper hand and could win or force the player to flea.

I know ppl don't like the idea of limited ammo because they think it's useless or they don't want to have to buy ammo, but ammo should last you many battles and wouldn't be very expensive I think.

• Like 2

The economy desperately needs more depth and crafting, so hauling and selling gunpowder, shot, cannons and carriages would add a lot to the game.

However ships would carry thousands of cannonballs and thousands of pounds of gunpowder, so basically enough to see you through quite a few battles at least. No more difficult than loading up with repairs in port and it would add to the economy.

So repairs, cannons, carriages, gunpowder, all types of shot as craftable would be a great thing.

• Like 3

Why not add basic unlimited ammo(used when quality ammo is out), and have players purchase and restock quality ammo? Ammo is a big part of econ. Think about it. Devs need to make this feature available, can't get more realistic than that. I don't mind using basic ammo with slightly worse specs if I run out. Currently unlimited ammo is a joke, it feels like some game for kids. True Captains need to learn how to take care of their ships. 

• Like 3

No. I don't want to agree. I think micro managing things like ammo or potable soup in sock or water reserve levels is tedious.

The economy thing makes sense though. Just come up with a way so that it is not even more tedious by making me balance available hold space for ammo vs cargo. Or is that historical? I suppose the armory is only for powder.

• Like 1

I think that the introduction of quality ammo is one step before adding premium ammo were you will have to pay for real money so i personally do not want that.

This is a good point. I wouldn't want any premium ammo, pay or free. I never understood why PofBS had choices. Why would I choose a damn rock over the good stuff? If a limited supply of ammo were to be introduced, keep it the standard types currently in game. 

• Like 1

Why not add basic unlimited ammo(used when quality ammo is out), and have players purchase and restock quality ammo? Ammo is a big part of econ. Think about it. Devs need to make this feature available, can't get more realistic than that. I don't mind using basic ammo with slightly worse specs if I run out. Currently unlimited ammo is a joke, it feels like some game for kids. True Captains need to learn how to take care of their ships.

Completely agree. Though I don't know what the basic or quality ammo would be? But I would still want limited ammo, the of management of my ship is something I want desperately. I want to be able to manage almost every aspect of my ship. Edited by Legioneod

Players produce resources. --> Players Purchase resources and/or Produce ammo. --> Ammo purchased by Captains, Merchants. --> Merchants deliver ammo and supply ports. Oh wait a second! Ammo is given to us by Gods, it's unlimited! Forget econ and restocking, let's just aim and Pew Pew! 

Conclusion, if there is an economy (WIP), almost everything that is associated with ships should be produced.   

• Like 1

I didnt say that i am entirely against the idea of implementing ammo crafting.I said that i dont really like the idea of implementing different quality types of ammo as i fear that at some point in the future it might lead to the introduction of  premium ammo.

Please refrain from jumping into conclusions.

Cheers :)

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 2

The economy desperately needs more depth and crafting, so hauling and selling gunpowder, shot, cannons and carriages would add a lot to the game.

However ships would carry thousands of cannonballs and thousands of pounds of gunpowder, so basically enough to see you through quite a few battles at least. No more difficult than loading up with repairs in port and it would add to the economy.

So repairs, cannons, carriages, gunpowder, all types of shot as craftable would be a great thing.

AFAIK - certain types of shot such as chain, bar shot and grape were carried in limited quantities though.

There are also the stories of the British Admiralty being parsimonious with powder and so limiting live fire target practice.

I agree this is would add to the economy and crafting, but I wouldn't want cargo and supply management to play a major part of the game. Naval Action not Naval Logistics, etc.

I'm absolutely in favour of adding craftable ammo, both from Legioneod's perspective of depth to the game's simulation/management aspect, and NorthernWolves' point regarding adding more depth to the economy.

I'm far more ambivalent about having different grade of each ammunition type. Wetworth makes a good point - the number of grades PotBS verged on the ridiculous. I'd be perfectly happy with one 'grade' of each type of shot (round, anti-rigging, anti-personnel); I'd just like to have to purchase it, rather than have a magically unlimited supply.

I'm not terribly worried about the risk of the devs making ammo a premium commoddity - IIRC, they've said that premium ships won't be a pay-to-win proposition, more a means of funding the development of additions to the game. If they're not planning on imposing a pay-to-win model on ships, I doubt they'd do so with ammunition.

Edited by St. Vincent

I don't think wind was talking about special ammo. I think he meant that round shot would be the basic ammo that everyone gets and all the others you have to buy. Personally I want all ammo to be limited but that's just me. Maybe standard shot could be really cheap.

While limited ammo will add a tremendous touch to realism ... I fear it will also add a tremendous amount of frustration and un-necessary micro management. 

Limited amount of mastercraft ammo which can be crafted by players? this may be good, but basic ammo should be not limited.  

• Like 1

I agree that we should have finite amounts of ammunition for the following reasons:

1) It requires the player to plan for long voyages

2) It will increase port activity, as players return to replenish

3) If craftable, it will provide for a richer economy experience

I am firmly against "magic ammo" and would prefer to keep what we have. 

• Like 1

We went over the limited ammo bit a while ago.  Looking at historical load-outs for warships starting a patrol, they would be able to fight many large scale engagements and still come home with extra.  I don't have the time to find the topic right now, but it's out there.  Running out of ammunition just wasn't a realistic possibility for a warship.  A merchant perhaps, but I do think this would just turn in to a pedantic part of getting ready for sea.  As it is, repair kits become a bit tedious to restock from time to time.  Ammo should be realistically automatically restocked at every opportunity in port, and it would just get frustrating if certain ports carried certain size ammunition.  Not that good for gameplay.

Edited by AKPyrate
  • Like 1