Game-Labs Forum

Bring back in battle repairs

With current hull HP, I don't think hull repair is needed for gameplay, and no hull repairs (except leak repair) makes a lot more sense. It feels right.

Sail repairs and limited mast repairs are needed to extend life of sails over course of battle in relation to life of the hull, but should not be instant and should come with a speed penalty while repairing (no running away at max speed while repairing).

Best suggestion I've heard so far is slow sail repair in survival mode and limited number of mast repairs (maybe upper masts only) on cooldown like module repair.

• Like 6

i have two answers

short: no

long: fuck no!

seriously though, if you crash and get a leak go quickly into survival, even with repairs you wont survive that if you dont do it now(i survive just about all crashes currently), this system we have now is way way better than we had before...

I agree with a trickle sail repair in battle similar to survival mode for leeks.

As a suggestion a sail repair crew focus is available.

Once "sail repair" crew focus is selected the ship is restricted to a maximum of "half sails" to simulate sails being taken down and patched/replaced. The ship also behaves as if in survival mode for handling and reload time.

The percentage repaired should be a percentage of damage taken (say 10% per min) so the effect would be faster repair to very damaged sails but to get from say 80% to full 100% will take a long time.

Example sails at 50% would repair 5% per min. Sails at 80% would repair at 2% per min. 90% at 1% per min.

• Like 3

I dont feel, repairs belong in this game anymore. This game is so forgiving already, you can  suck at it and still do damage. It is not like you get 1 chance at a broardside and thats it. 

Repairs back to full health is too easy. Especially considering there will be a PVE only server.

Yes, but hull is x times more forgiving than sails. This creates a problem. Any system where hull repairs = sail repairs will be problematic and lead to single tactic approach to all battles, doesn't matter if it is no repairs or 3x combined repair. The only other alternative is to make sails just as strong as hull, which is absurd and eliminates potential tactics in dissimilar match-ups.

• Like 2

I didnt think id enjoy having no repairs but the game is hands down better for it.

Heres what repairs did for the old build:  Artificially extend the duration of the battle for no reason other then to give you the impression you were micromanaging your resources.  Against PVE targets you almost never NEEDED to repair.  In PVP it was a circle jerk to see who would get nervous and hit #5 first, and once that happened it was just repeating the process 1-2 more times and THEN you were at the part that mattered.  With the old system a 2v2 SOL fight (bellonas and pavels), went the full 60 minutes with only 1 Bellona sinking.  Thats reeeetarded, and no reason for it, we dont need repairs during battle, just the right balance between leaks caused and leaks patched.  I would however like to see a better UI feature that shows structural integrity (where as current armor graph shows planking durability), that way we can anaylize what exactly is happening to our ship. 

And sail repairs = no pvp because everyone can run and get away, its been so much better being able to catch players (and get caught myself).  The only thing in regards to sails is i would like to see some form of demasting return, and there needs to be a pre-set percentage where your sails cannot be dropped under (like 25%, then your sails become immune), that way your not stuck in the middle of the battle, with nothing to do, at that point you might as well just autokill a player with no sailing ability left.  

I didnt think id enjoy having no repairs but the game is hands down better for it.

Heres what repairs did for the old build:  Artificially extend the duration of the battle for no reason other then to give you the impression you were micromanaging your resources.  Against PVE targets you almost never NEEDED to repair.  In PVP it was a circle jerk to see who would get nervous and hit #5 first, and once that happened it was just repeating the process 1-2 more times and THEN you were at the part that mattered.  With the old system a 2v2 SOL fight (bellonas and pavels), went the full 60 minutes with only 1 Bellona sinking.  Thats reeeetarded, and no reason for it, we dont need repairs during battle, just the right balance between leaks caused and leaks patched.  I would however like to see a better UI feature that shows structural integrity (where as current armor graph shows planking durability), that way we can anaylize what exactly is happening to our ship. 

And sail repairs = no pvp because everyone can run and get away, its been so much better being able to catch players (and get caught myself).  The only thing in regards to sails is i would like to see some form of demasting return, and there needs to be a pre-set percentage where your sails cannot be dropped under (like 25%, then your sails become immune), that way your not stuck in the middle of the battle, with nothing to do, at that point you might as well just autokill a player with no sailing ability left.  

Flavalicious.

I agree with you totally for no repairs for hull improving the game. I also agree that irreparable damage to sails encourages more PvP due to the fact that it is harder to escape. Also there should be a form of jury rigging a mast (A sail repair focus may cover this or perhaps under the repair option there should be jury rig mast which uses a repair and activates the 15min cool down.)

If you look at the system I've proposed it would never allow you to escape while under fire as it reduces your maximum sail plan while the repairing is underway and the rate of repair would never equal the damage taken by a pursuer of reasonable size compared to your own ship. 

Some things I think it would address, adding more balance without diminishing the game as it stands;

1. If a player in a large battle has a lot of sail damage and then gets left behind he has an opportunity to get back into the action.

2. Balance out small ships ability to harass  large SOLs with irreparable sail damage.

3. A small ship in a large battle can be effectively neutralised by one broadside of chain then forgotten.

4. Sail repair has been argued to be historically possible during combat. At the moment the finality of sail damage just doesn't feel right. if the opportunity presents itself a captain and his crew should be able to try and do something.

• Like 1

Repairs don't belong in 1v1 or other small battles.

What might work is to have limited sail repairs and plugging leaks, both suppressed by taking damage. In a 1v1 or 2v2, repairs will be continually suppressed and play no part, but in a fleet action a damaged ship could fall back behind the fleet to patch itself up enough to get back in the fight.

By damage I mean damage above a certain threshold, so 1 ship can't tie 2 enemies up from range while it's ally heals in a 2v2 etc.

• Like 2

Repairs never encouraged pvp. Repairs enabled people to make 3 hull/sail attempts at running lol.

In regards to pvp or not to pvp. Its like tipping at resturants. People have decided well in advance of the situation wether they will fight anothet player or not. I shit you not ive had a renomee run from my snow. A victory run from a consti. Ive had 2 frigates run from my single frigate. People ethier will pvp or they wont and it has 0 to do with anything implimented into the game.

• Like 1

Look. Maybe those in a surprise or higher ship don't need repairs but those still in a brig or lower do.

I certainly don't see why, since larger ships sink out from under you in situations when brigs and such would stay afloat.

And repairs made fighting larger ships with smallers ones rather hopeless, since all your hard work would vanish as soon as they popped a repair.