Game-Labs Forum

Ship Customization Options

Hello hello,

So, while I highly doubt I am the first to bring this up, I would greatly enjoy the ability to one day customize the appearance of my favorite gal.

Whether this is a free feature, pay for vanity items feature, or something else..

So, what visual customization options do you want/feel are appropriate?

I personally would love to have user created flags as an option.

I would enjoy custom sails as well, but I'm not sure those are historically accurate, so maybe not on those.

Also, custom ship nameplates.

Your turn, go.

Even if customization doesn't make it, i think we really need a few alternate paint jobs at the very least.

A non-Nelson checker for Victory and Surprise-style coloring for Connie, Trinc, Mercury and Pavel would do wonders for the visual diversity of the game. I would love to use Trincomalee with an 18th century look, as the black and white is very unattractive in my opinion. In the second decade of the 19th century you already start to see the soulless and puritanical aesthetic of the age.

I know that textures take require an enormous amount of man-hours, but certainly replacing the Constitution's two main outer hull colors with existing textures would be simplicity itself?

• Like 3

We usually give one of 3 answers on feature questions

1) We will do it

2) Maybe

3) No.

Ship customization answer = maybe. Depending on the success of the game.

If you get a nice balance of everything PvP and PvE u will be fine, the PvP is the more unique system so far and has been a main focus, still needs some work but that will all come in time, if your able to create an amazing crafting and economy side of the game you will have a heap of success, humans like to create and build things as a sense of achievement, everything game that ive seen that revolves around building games they tend to have a long and happy following of players, providing that its not to complicated but quite in depth with different things and easy to follow or figure out then most players will love the creativity and building ships for other players, but lets no going into it to much, IMO a happy balance between the PvP and PvE and this game will thrive and create more opportunities for greater things, but going to much 1 way or the other will only cause failure, so good luck and hopefully you know a way of keeping it balanced, so in summing up if you guys makes the right decision then anythings possible for the game and we will see customization and many more features to come.

If the opportunity arises i'd love to put me crew to work painting my ship. Imagine a nice black bilge, a beautifully stained amidship, golden bridge, a dark red bulwarks.  

Me quarterdeck would be majestic Yaaarr. Those who see me ship will never live to tell the story. Those who do will be put to work cleaning the hull of those pesky crustations slowing the Trendtopian Might. A good captain has a good ship and loyal crew. We fly our colours proud be it on in battle or just exploring the vast mighty sea.

I personally do not like the colored sails idea because barely any ships of the that time in history had colored sails with the only exception being very small ships/vessels. I think a figurehead and ship naming Mechanic would be cool though along with ship color schemes as long as they are historic to the nation that the ship is in. As for the custom flags I think the only acceptable way to add them would be making them pre-made and available for purchase at ports because any other way of doing it could be exploited by players or just could simply take too much coding.       

P.s You would also need the nation specific flag on your ship aswell instead of the custom flag replacing the nation's flag :)

Edited by GoldenEagleLeader

They did, but overall I think it would be a waste to spend time in coding a small amount of historic sail colors instead of just keeping them white considering most ship sails were white anyway. Plus even if they were implemented it would be inaccurate to put them on frigates or higher because they only had the default white or greyish sails historically except for a few exceptions.

Small boats sometimes had tanned or red sails in certain regions.

It would certainly be nice to see a subtle range of sailcloth colors from pure white to something more drab and weathered.

But I certainly hope we don't get ahistorical sail colors while historical paint schemes are still missing. I want my beautiful 1790s-era Connie and Trinc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...