Game-Labs Forum

Are premium ships rumors real?

Based on the current (WiP) crafting system I think they could make plenty of cash by providing little incentives such as durability point refills and cosmetic changes as people get rare hidden traits and good slots on ships that match their playstyle...flagship and all that.

edit:  Should probably clarify that...instead of entirely new ships, could also allow players to upgrade a crafted ship they take a fancy to and make it more their own...I'm thinking something like the 'medallion' system in Warthunder...take a normal vehicle and make it yours...durability system already seems to fit the bill.

Edited by VictusB

I dont mind Premium in Free to play games.

I dont mind DLC content

But i paid a pretty high price for this game, and sure hope that premium ship is just rumors.

It would really suck having to throw more money at a pretty expensive game to get the cool stuff.

1 49$ which i paid for this game in january was not expensive including one premium yacht

2 free to play games are not free when you have to pay for premium accounts ie 40 pounds per year plus. Then premium goods ie tanks ships plains all cost more than the price of this game. I should no i have been playing these games for years.

3 It is obvious to me for a quality game like this i would not like to see it finish due to lack of funds and i would pay more to help so bring on the premium ships

• Like 1

1 49$ which i paid for this game in january was not expensive including one premium yacht

2 free to play games are not free when you have to pay for premium accounts ie 40 pounds per year plus. Then premium goods ie tanks ships plains all cost more than the price of this game. I should no i have been playing these games for years.

3 It is obvious to me for a quality game like this i would not like to see it finish due to lack of funds and i would pay more to help so bring on the premium ships

Totally agree tankgame, servers, devs,patches and the like don't fund themselves and with a game that has no subscription option(yet?) how will the game keep alive, Sure if it was a naval game with a campaign and limited storyline then sure a one off fee makes sense but for a game that is planned to be a MMO I dont understand how there is even people against premium ships as long as they give no tactical advantage to its user, I think most people don't realise that your not buying a "game" you are buying access to a game under construction which gives you the ability effect the final product through testing and early access.

lastly I thnk this sentence sums it up "It would really suck having to throw more money at a pretty expensive game to get the cool stuff." choice. Put simply you do not have to do anything but the option is still there for everyone if they wan't the latest bright pink sails or a captain that wears a pineapple on his head.

Edited by Horatio Cornblower

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all I haven't played the game yet so what i am saying is kinda general. I think premium ships as a way to say thanks , great game, is a excellent way. As far as I've read they won't be stronger than the player made ships also a very good decision. Don't get me wrong i am totally against pay to win , especially in a naval game. It's a good option to keep the game going.

Rather than a premium ship how about a premium skin?

As far as i am aware they is no risk for losing a premium ship as you will always have it.

This is not perfect but maybe something like this...

Players who buy the premium ship get:

1. The premium ship with 5 dura. But it can be lost/sunk then they lose it.
  2. Able to craft it with 5 dura.
  3. Able to capture it in battle with 3 dura.(RARE)

So if the player lose's the premium ship they get when they pay for it, they will have to capture it or craft it to have it back.

Players who have not bought it can:

1. Capture it with one dura from players but not from NPC.

Now this was just quick, but i think it could work.

Dickie

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be skins of some sort in any case. Many players will pay a little for skins, many players will pay a lot for premium ships - simple math.

As far as i am aware they is no risk for losing a premium ship as you will always have it.

Yes, it's gorgeous, isn't it?!

If you don't want to have a premium ship, don't buy it.

This is not perfect but maybe something like this...

Players who buy the premium ship get:

1. The premium ship with 5 dura. But it can be lost/sunk then they lose it.
  2. Able to craft it with 5 dura.
  3. Able to capture it in battle with 3 dura.(RARE)

So if the player lose's the premium ship they get when they pay for it, they will have to capture it or craft it to have it back.

Players who have not bought it can:

1. Capture it with one dura from players but not from NPC.

Now this was just quick, but i think it could work.

Dickie

You should still have to pay in game money in game or resources to make them.  Pay should be pay to unlock, like in Eve, not pay to own forever.  The economy depends upon it.

As for skins, those I don't think you need to pay in game money or resources for after you purchase it with real money.  Say there is an alternate skin for the Frigate.  You can apply that skin to any frigate that you own.  You still pay in game resources for the Frigate, then since you have paid for an alternate Frigate skin, you can apply that at any time to any Frigate you own.

You should still have to pay in game money in game or resources to make them.

(ఠ్ఠ ˓̭ ఠ్ఠ)

And there I was, thinking I could pay my way out of the boredom of the economy. I know you guys love that shit, bless you for that, but can't you give a guy a friggin' break?!

like in Eve

Every beautiful thing I can think of is killed by EVE. Carefree prem ships - Denied because EVE. PVP unshackled from anal retentive loss mechanic running - Denied because EVE... or because

The economy depends upon it.

How would it work though?

IVXnaRt.png

How many complications can you attach before sales takes a hit?

I don't know how it is complicated if:

1.  You buy a premium vessel.  Say the Prince de Neufchatel is one.

2.  This means you can now buy it in the store or craft it at lvl 0.

How is that complicated at all?

Or, say you buy a different Frigate paint scheme.

1.  Buy with real money alternate paint scheme.

2.  Right click any amount of frigates you ever own and click on the paint scheme to apply it.

How is this complicated at all?  It isn't.  I mean, do you have troubles clicking on Ships and then buying a ship in the shop?  You can skip the whole crafting business if you want.  Which that isn't complicated either.

I mean, they could even have a premium ships tab where you can always buy a premium ship.

• Like 1

I don't know how it is complicated if:

1.  You buy a premium vessel.  Say the Prince de Neufchatel is one.

2.  This means you can now buy it in the store or craft it at lvl 0.

How is that complicated at all?

[serious face] It isn't. But any hurdles at all involving real money will cause problems. Some people will whine and come sperging in the forums if they can't take their ship out NAO! (if they don't have the gold or resources). Premium ships that disregard durabilites and building cost will take away that forum pain and inevitable support ticket time sink. Then there's the potential problem of big premium ships bought by starter accounts, like they're used to from WoWS, WoWP, WoT or WT. Are we going to say "No, we don't want your money until you've ground up" or just let them suffer in their ignorance with 50 guys manning a corvette? If "true" premium ships really topple the economy the devs have a delicate decision to make.

I base my assumptions on how I work, and in other games I avoid pure cosmetics unless it's cheap enough to not really matter. But if it's items that allow me to save hours of play time grinding I have been known to pay through my nose. I delude myself because I buy more than I need. It's not like I beat myself up over it because I don't mind supporting a game I like. However, I'm uneasy about cosmetics, so I hold back. I have looked at my spending in other games and the ratio between time savers and cosmetics is conservatively 10/1. I don't think I'm terribly unique in my spending habits.

By "time savers" I mean items I can continue to use and that don't run out. Before I stopped playing WoT, because of glorious Naval Action, I had every single tier 10 in the game yet hadn't bought one single credit package. I would nickle and dime gold camo and wait months for a sale to pimp my keepers, yet just unload money at new prem tanks. Keep in mind camo has a slight effect on gameplay so it's not even a pure cosmetic item. I know I was not the only one conforming to that spending discipline.

I know GL are looking to Guild Wars for the financial model. I have no interest in such games so I can't comment. But if dudes are plonking down 100€ just for cosmetics just consider me entirely and completely dumbfounded.

[serious face] It isn't. But any hurdles at all involving real money will cause problems. Some people will whine and come sperging in the forums if they can't take their ship out NAO! (if they don't have the gold or resources). Premium ships that disregard durabilites and building cost will take away that forum pain and inevitable support ticket time sink. Then there's the potential problem of big premium ships bought by starter accounts, like they're used to from WoWS, WoWP, WoT or WT. Are we going to say "No, we don't want your money until you've ground up" or just let them suffer in their ignorance with 50 guys manning a corvette? If "true" premium ships really topple the economy the devs have a delicate decision to make.

I base my assumptions on how I work, and in other games I avoid pure cosmetics unless it's cheap enough to not really matter. But if it's items that allow me to save hours of play time grinding I have been known to pay through my nose. I delude myself because I buy more than I need. It's not like I beat myself up over it because I don't mind supporting a game I like. However, I'm uneasy about cosmetics, so I hold back. I have looked at my spending in other games and the ratio between time savers and cosmetics is conservatively 10/1. I don't think I'm terribly unique in my spending habits.

By "time savers" I mean items I can continue to use and that don't run out. Before I stopped playing WoT, because of glorious Naval Action, I had every single tier 10 in the game yet hadn't bought one single credit package. I would nickle and dime gold camo and wait months for a sale to pimp my keepers, yet just unload money at new prem tanks. Keep in mind camo has a slight effect on gameplay so it's not even a pure cosmetic item. I know I was not the only one conforming to that spending discipline.

I know GL are looking to Guild Wars for the financial model. I have no interest in such games so I can't comment. But if dudes are plonking down 100€ just for cosmetics just consider me entirely and completely dumbfounded.

In Eve, you can lose your ships or plex that you spent money on.  Some people have lost thousands of dollars worth in one go.

As long as GL makes it clear that it is pay to unlock and not pay to have at every second then there shouldn't be a problem, and those tickets won't be that much or that hard to fix.  Seriously, of all the support issues, these will be the easiest to fix and take the least amount of time (pretty much nil).  I say this as a support person.  People won't be losing ships they bought then.  And they can still easily get a new one.  If they buy an sol at midshipman rank and are warned before hand that they won't be able to sail it, then that is their fault.  In Star Trek Online you wave to wait until the correct level to fly the ship you bought.

Why should there be two play models that are separate from each other (one based on durabilites and the economy and one that isn't).  Might as well have different games or different servers for that.  They shouldn't be mixed in my opinion.

Or why should someone who is just starting out be able to jump straight into a premium SOL?  Or say, some TDA member is rich and buys premium SOLS for every member of TDA right at game launch and within 3 months we own the entire map.  That's fun.

In Eve, you can lose your ships or plex that you spent money on.  Some people have lost thousands of dollars worth in one go.

That doesn't get me off at all, not my fetish.

Or why should someone who is just starting out be able to jump straight into a premium SOL?  Or say, some TDA member is rich and buys premium SOLS for every member of TDA right at game launch and within 3 months we own the entire map.  That's fun.

Whoa! Easy on the FUD campaign. One might suspect you speak of premium SOL's for propaganda reasons.

As long as GL makes it clear that it is pay to unlock and not pay to have at every second then there shouldn't be a problem, and those tickets won't be that much or that hard to fix.  Seriously, of all the support issues, these will be the easiest to fix and take the least amount of time (pretty much nil).  I say this as a support person.  People won't be losing ships they bought then.  And they can still easily get a new one.  If they buy an sol at midshipman rank and are warned before hand that they won't be able to sail it, then that is their fault.  In Star Trek Online you wave to wait until the correct level to fly the ship you bought.

This I can discuss. You might be right and might be lined up with what GL is thinking. But I see a watered down and slightly uncompelling sales item with strings attached. If I can match the sold item by one or two weeks of casual play why even put the money on the counter?

This is not about me, anyway, I will buy shit however bad the packaging may be. I'm an invested fanboy who wants to help GL succeed with this particular game.

No, I want random players to want to buy stuff and this whole skins and cosmetics deal isn't convincing me of it's financial potential. What I do know is that WT/WoT style premium time is where they make most of their money followed by premium vehicles. That is not an opinion, that is a proven fact. The main use of those two "items" is to speed up the grind. So we can conclude with absolute certainty that people want to minimize their grind and they pay to achieve that. If you sell that people will buy.

Then there is the added challenge of an inevitably smaller player base than WoT/WT. How does that affect what you sell and at what price point? I have heard nothing of premium time from GL so that puts the entire pressure on cosmetics and premium ships. Volume is needed for cosmetics items because you can only charge so much for it so the tool to harpoon the whales (guys like me) with is premium ships. If you fuck that up because of the precious economy, where does that leave you? I'm being loud now, I know. I never cared for bombers in Aces High but they were still able to take my money. I hate artillery like the devil himself in WoT but they managed to part me from my money.

You're saying that the aspect of Naval Action I have no interest in, the economy, is making it impossible for them to sell an item that is perfect for me and financially beneficent for them. That is interesting, and not in a good way.

What I've seen admin et al write about the issue is premium ships that aren't affected by the PVP killing loss mechanic, so I still live in hope.

BTW, How did that work out for Star Trek Online? The only thing I've read about that game is lamentations of what could have been.

IMHO I think they should worry about getting the game a bit more finished and polished before starting to worry about how to get more money out of it. I didn't care for microtransactions in a paid for game when EA were doing it, I don't care now ubisoft are doing it and I'm distraught that it's happening here. That is, of course, unless they need the money to finish the game in which case the whole system will just be completely ignored by me.

IMHO I think they should worry about getting the game a bit more finished and polished before starting to worry about how to get more money out of it. I didn't care for microtransactions in a paid for game when EA were doing it, I don't care now ubisoft are doing it and I'm distraught that it's happening here. That is, of course, unless they need the money to finish the game in which case the whole system will just be completely ignored by me.

the whole point of these are to be gifts for donating extra founding. 

in the end the prenium ships will be sold as blueprint and can then be crafted. so it doesnt hurt ingame economy.

but as said befor we need to finish the game more before we start puting these out specially when we got still holes to fill in our line up

• Like 1

If ship skins will be sold I hope there will also be a option to grind your way to one of them by being a active player. I don't mind if it takes me 6 months of playing every day, it would be another goal to accomplish. The developers might be just as happy with active players as with some extra $?

Selling the skins and also making them a reward for playing often would make "pirates" think twice before attacking it. "Is it bought or is it being captained by a very experienced player."

As far as I know, they aren't worried about it.  They mentioned it, and people have taken it and run with it.  Are they even working on premium ships yet? 

And they need something to maintain the servers.  Pretty distraught?  I'm more worried about them being able to maintain their servers so we can continue to play the game for years to come instead of them having premium ships.  People who don't want premium ships don't want the game and servers to be maintained and only want GL to release it and walk away.

Things cost money and the best things in life aren't free.  We are lucky Game Labs isn't making it subscription based and you can choose to buy premium ships to continue to fund the game.

If ship skins will be sold I hope there will also be a option to grind your way to one of them by being a active player. I don't mind if it takes me 6 months of playing every day, it would be another goal to accomplish. The developers might be just as happy with active players as with some extra $?

Selling the skins and also making them a reward for playing often would make "pirates" think twice before attacking it. "Is it bought or is it being captained by a very experienced player."

you can capture them if you find an enemy wo sails it

People who don't want premium ships don't want the game and servers to be maintained and only want GL to release it and walk away.

Now that's hardly fair man! They asked me for £30 for the right and privilege to be in the beta for this game, and I happily paid it. I'd have paid £40 maybe even £50. They asked me for the amount of money they felt they needed from me to finish this game. Now because I feel that freemium mechanics in a paid for game is bull pat (pardon my french) I suddenly don't care about the game!

Surely it's a much better strategy for us, the community, to market the game and get it's name out there to try and attract new patrons, thereby removing the burden of advertising from the shoulders of GL. Obviously this would need to happen after the game is released, in the same time frame that the microtransactions would need to start being added to the game. This would mean they would be able to focus on balance patches and adding actually worthwhile new content than having to constantly keep thinking of new ways to add tinsel to a surprise in order to milk £1.50 out of it's players.

Now that's hardly fair man! They asked me for £30 for the right and privilege to be in the beta for this game, and I happily paid it. I'd have paid £40 maybe even £50. They asked me for the amount of money they felt they needed from me to finish this game. Now because I feel that freemium mechanics in a paid for game is bull pat (pardon my french) I suddenly don't care about the game!

Surely it's a much better strategy for us, the community, to market the game and get it's name out there to try and attract new patrons, thereby removing the burden of advertising from the shoulders of GL. Obviously this would need to happen after the game is released, in the same time frame that the microtransactions would need to start being added to the game. This would mean they would be able to focus on balance patches and adding actually worthwhile new content than having to constantly keep thinking of new ways to add tinsel to a surprise in order to milk £1.50 out of it's players.

So you want the game to run on one-off purchases alone?

Prater just gave you a reality check; It won't be enough.