Game-Labs Forum

Open World for rest of players

The holidays are coming and I think this might be what the devs are banking on as that should be the time where the servers are under the most stress. At least for a few weeks and then I suspect that if all is well under the increase of people on the OW server we will see perhaps a wave of players (most active of the players I'm guessing) been sent invites to OW to test more heavier the servers. So I'm guessing that in the next few weeks we might see some invites to OW been sent out and then another wave of invites been sent out during the summer term holidays.

One thing that Game-Lab should be aware of is Steam Summer Sale which should be starting in a couple of days. 

Now, it can't go to Steam Summer Sale -- at least in my view, it's illogical cause Game-Labs need to make money right? -- nor can it go to Steam Early Access days after Steam Summer Sale because people will be out of money. So take that into consideration please, maybe a month after the Steam Summer Sale

Oops, I was talking about the Early Access of the game, not the current testing version  :lol:

I'm not waiting for OW to be released to everyone, I have been grinding and will continue to do so. I'm not in a rush to get into OW I want to try out each ship and have fun. At the moment I'm rushing to get a good ship so I can play in PVP games but I'm certainly not rushing to get into OW and I'm not waiting for the devs to invite everyone so I can avoid the big grind needed to gain access. I'm just guessing as to why the devs are not opening OW to everyone just yet.

As for steam the devs could if they wanted open the game on steam and not have it listed in the sales (not every game goes on sale) and because its a new game its most likely the game would be exempt from sales for at least a few months. My only concern is what the price will be when open to steam because that could be the deciding factor as to how well this game does.

Edited by Roy

Do  not go there it is a not finished product and only PVP one where the first served are allready uber players with big ship agains ones you cannot fight in a reasonable way  or chance of doing damages.

This is a game where at level one you meet the Dragon of level 100 and have no chance to evade him.

A lynx against a Constitution class has no chance to live more than 5 minutes in battle, no way to avoid battle and no experience points to gain in such an engagement. ;)

Edited by Tryite

Do  not go there it is a not finished product and only PVP one where the first served are allready uber players with big ship agains ones you cannot fight in a reasonable way  or chance of doing damages.

This is a game where at level one you meet the Dragon of level 100 and have no chance to evade him.

A lynx against a Constitution class has no chance to live more than 5 minutes in battle, no way to avoid battle and no experience points to gain in such an engagement. ;)

Sensei.. Current testing is related to PVP rules of engagement, distances, speeds and overall stability. We understand and respect the wishes of players for the safe PVE environment and said there will be a PVE server on release.

Your current consistent trolling of people who want and love PVP environment is inappropriate. 

If a Lynx can't escape a Coni, they are doing the wrong thing.

• Like 5

I am glad they do not delete posts that seem trolly even if the poster is incorrect.  On the Star Citizen forums you get a week ban for calling someone a carebear lol...

Patch this week though?  Maybe tomorrow (Thurs) then?  Cause who does patching on the weekend? :P

Awesome to hear :)

Always love people who demand PvE only in a pvp game, does the thought of a competative environment scare you that much?

Some folks just aren't into PvP. That's ok, it's a perfectly valid need, and Game Labs is planning to answer that need with a PvE only server at or after release. Everyone wins.

• Like 1

Some folks just aren't into PvP. That's ok, it's a perfectly valid need, and Game Labs is planning to answer that need with a PvE only server at or after release. Everyone wins.

I want to adds something:

-> everyone who does not want to play PvP at all (even accidentally) has to wait until the PvE server goes live!

This test is focused on rules of engagements PvP balance and other PvP related mechanics.

For your own good you should wait until the game gives you the option to avoid PvP.

You bought the key. You own the game. You dont have to bother yourself with testing this game. Its an option you acquired.

Noone will punish you for not testing the game.

• Like 2

Admin said this in the Open World furom section:

Patch will happen monday or tuesday. 

We will first roll it out for current participants because the infrastructure has been completely replaced for release scaleable state and needs to be tested with limited number of users. If everything is all right then the naval action beta on steam will be replaced with the open world version and will be open for everyone on Wednesday or Thursday. 

ps it will be deployed earlier than the 30 day promise made in May. 

So it won´t be a long wait from now on.

Though the idea of a complete and separate PVE server sounds good in theory it will destroy large aspects of the PVP and game as a whole.  Circa: 1990's Ultima online when they split to a PVE world. In less than a year the PvP server degraded to nothing but gladiatorial style contests and since that only really appeals to a smaller minority of PvP players the population nose dived.  Now its also happened to more recent games as well.  I think EVE maintains a good balance here by setting up NPC policed play areas adjacent to lawless frontier areas that offer increased wealth for those who dare the risks.  This is far better than dividing the player base right off the bat.

• Like 3

Though the idea of a complete and separate PVE server sounds good in theory it will destroy large aspects of the PVP and game as a whole.  Circa: 1990's Ultima online when they split to a PVE world. In less than a year the PvP server degraded to nothing but gladiatorial style contests and since that only really appeals to a smaller minority of PvP players the population nose dived.  Now its also happened to more recent games as well.  I think EVE maintains a good balance here by setting up NPC policed play areas adjacent to lawless frontier areas that offer increased wealth for those who dare the risks.  This is far better than dividing the player base right off the bat.

I think the devs wan't to do something similar with npcs coming to aid of players out matched, and I'm also not a fan of separate servers one for PVE one for PVP but hey it may work out in the long run. 

I think the devs wan't to do something similar with npcs coming to aid of players out matched, and I'm also not a fan of separate servers one for PVE one for PVP but hey it may work out in the long run. 

I suppose that is something better than dividing the player base as well.  It never ceases to amaze me how many young players believe all fights must be fair.  Who ever made that rule? What is the purpose?  Its like saying all major battles in history lead by great generals should have started like evenly matched boxing contests.  There isn't one Great General that wouldn't agree, if he suddenly found himself fighting an evenly matched battle then his Strategy must have sucked.

Napoleon was known for defeating greater odds.  Force each of his battles to start evenly matched and he suddenly becomes nothing special.

Blackbeard didn't make a name for himself hunting evenly matched prizes. Pretty much no successful pirate ever did.  Lt. Maynard was nothing until he was hunting and brought down Blackbeard. Take away the ability to hunt unarmed cargo ships and both William Teach and Maynard become farmers? 

Further yet what is the point of Admirals?  If your commerce ships cannot be attacked or captured then why bother sending fleets to control sea zones. It wouldn't really matter and there would be no point. Every sea raider and Admiral from Sir Francis Drake to John Paul Jones becomes relatively useless. 

This is why PvP populations drop nose dive whenever a game over protects players.  All PvP roles (Pirate, pirate hunter, privateer and even fleet admirals) lose that extra thrill once the players realize its not all that anymore or it doesn't really matter.  All you are left with is Gladiatorial style PvP.

Best thing Games Labs can do is put in some low level policed "safe zones" and let the players handle everything else for themselves afterwards.  

• Like 1

No reason to divide the player base, this style game was born for pvp, if anything they can eventually patch in a single player sandbox for those who really dont want to be online.  As far as im concerned a pve server hurts the game as a whole more then it helps anything.