Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Final version released]

Nick Thomadis

so pennetration could use some rework my shells dont seem to do ANY DAMAGE TO ENEMY SHIPS even when my shells are super heavy and armed with corditte and dunnite wich is really annoying its like the shells phase right through an enemy ship and mean while the ai do more damage to me then i do to them

2 minutes ago, kineuhansen said:

so pennetration could use some rework my shells dont seem to do ANY DAMAGE TO ENEMY SHIPS even when my shells are super heavy and armed with corditte and dunnite wich is really annoying its like the shells phase right through an enemy ship and mean while the ai do more damage to me then i do to them

you might be overpenning the enemy ships. If you overpen, you cause flooding but virtually no damage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hibbidyhai said:

They'll need more info on the design of your ship to know if the game was working as intended or not. If you have a lot of objects on your hull (turrets, funnels, secondaries, etc.) it makes it easier for the enemy to spot you. Speed is also a factor. If your ship isn't very fast it will be easier to hit. Also, if you are taking heavy damage from distant fire you may not have enough deck armor to cope with it because the angle of the incoming fire is basically vertical. Were you sailing head-on to the enemy to reduce your target profile or sailing horizontal to bring all your turrets to bear, thus increasing your target profile? How big was your ship? The more tonnage a ship has the easier it is to spot and hit. The AI also may have gotten lucky with a hit that caused damage, and once your ship is damaged you become easier to hit and your accuracy goes down. 

Maybe you already know all of those things and there is a flaw or bug, but you'd have to provide more context for anyone to know what was going on. 

please explain to to me how a ai ship from 26 km away with worse crew skill armed with 19 inch gun can hit me better then i can hit them with better crew skills

Edited by kineuhansen

2 hours ago, kineuhansen said:

please explain to to me how a ai ship from 26 km away with worse crew skill armed with 19 inch gun can hit me better then i can hit them with better crew skills

All of the factors I already mentioned could have something to do with it. If the enemy is running twin turret long caliber 19-in guns with radar and an upper tier stereoscopic rangefinder on a very stable ship then 26km away is not too crazy. Since you fail to mention any of those things I guess just use your imagination to figure out what the problem is.

• Like 2

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Update 6]

[Update 6]
- +15 New hulls increasing the total new hulls of the current beta to 57 (a few more will be added). The list is too long. Please read the total list of hulls added which became updated.
- Various and many fixes and improvements on old and new hulls.
- Fixed temporary issues with scale for some new quad guns. Please report if you find any remaining inconsistency.
- Auto-Design optimizations.
- New balance on armor, and ship weights.
- Battle AI adjustments.
- Port Strike missions that have no opponent have now a "Withdraw" option.
- Various repairs to issues with LOD of hull parts. This fix should increase fps performance in constructor and combat.

Please note: Saves had to be reset due to the magnitude of fixes and repairs which would make many of designed ships to break.

Please Restart Steam to get this update fast.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The pitch and roll of ships are still omega awful when using geared and gas turbines and this issue is exaggerated on super BBs

Also please add a feature where THE PLAYER CAN TELL THEIR FLEET TO ATTACK A PORT, it's not like ports move, and it's super annoying watching your fleet do nothing in front of a port because it has 1 sub.

Also, make naval invasions dynamic. Example: The player chooses to naval invade Kiel, it has a 400000 ton requirement and the player already has begun the invasion, but the player gains a strike mission option. The requirement in the naval invasion shouldn't stay at 400000 tons but go down by how much of the port was bombarded, which should improve chances of success.

Edited by basedana

13 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

[Update 6]
- +15 New hulls increasing the total new hulls of the current beta to 57 (a few more will be added). The list is too long. Please read the total list of hulls added which became updated.
- Fixed temporary issues with scale for some new quad guns. Please report if you find any remaining inconsistency.
- Battle AI adjustments.
- Various repairs to issues with LOD of hull parts. This fix should increase fps performance in constructor and combat.

Please note: Saves had to be reset due to the magnitude of fixes and repairs which would make many of designed ships to break.

It is awesome that despite difficulties, game is in the state it is now :). Congratulations on your hard work, but please before you end work on the game give us battle set up options such as choosing ships that are in formations. I am not asking for total war type set up just give us pre battle screen in which we are choosing which ships are connected to other ships.

I guess that Unity is not an engine for this kind of game (even ignoring recent developments in the unity itself) i assume that your code is spaghetti and that entire project was more of difficult learning experience of what not to do and a growing checklist of why you need different engine then Unity (at least that is how i feel the game right now)

While i really love the game, and the it is improving, it still does not feel, like a finished product. It require few more pieces.

Edited by Grayknight
  • Like 1

great update!

One thing; please, at least give us the choice to disable delays on tooltips on message popups. Having a turn with a handfull of messages with choice options takes forever to clear out😴

I don't mind tooltips, so maybe a general enable/disable tooltip delay choice

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

[Update 6]
- Battle AI adjustments.

@Nick Thomadis Has this been fixed yet?

• Like 1

zEWiQxM.png

French 1890 experimental 3mast light cruiser...   The hull is out of proportion and default sizing the two forward torp tubes can not co-exist (due to the giant round back end on the hull Torp tubes... is this meant to hang around enough to grow into a larger ship and allow a total of 5 Hull Torp tubes?

KqHR6Jq.png

Also not being able to place a funnel between the aft mid deck boats or replace said boats is a bit frustrating with this hull.

If it is intentional... cool.  But that is a lot of wasted deck space that could take moar funnels.

Also,   Campaigns that start AFTER 1890 still take an inordinate amount of time to create in Beta 1.4.6.  I stopped building a 1930 French Campaign last night after the Update6 dropped at 45 minutes....    It was still January 1927.

That being said really love the work that has been happening on this game.   I know there are a LOT of lines of code in this and tracking stuff down is not always easy because like most Naval games there are too many overlaps in the code.   It says a lot as to how quickly bugs are solved and updates are pushed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

zEWiQxM.png

French 1890 experimental 3mast light cruiser...   The hull is out of proportion and default sizing the two forward torp tubes can not co-exist (due to the giant round back end on the hull Torp tubes... is this meant to hang around enough to grow into a larger ship and allow a total of 5 Hull Torp tubes?

Same with Russian “Experimental 3-Mast Cruiser”

19.png

• Like 1

Unable to Withdraw from Port Strike

Game Version: 1.4.0.0 Update 6 (Pretty sure, since my old campaign got deleted - not sure how to check)
Campaign started in Update 6

What I'm doing: Attempting to "Withdraw" from "Strike" engagement. 

What's happening: Withdraw button is lit up and animates the click, but nothing happens. I have to "Fight | Autoresolve"

What I expect: The action will be ended without damage to port / transport

Notes: Has been repeatable the last few months

Screenshot (2) resize.png

• Like 2

I'm starting a 1920 Germany campaign and after 20 minutes it has barely loaded June 1917. I don't know if it's specific to this update since this is my first campaign in 1.4 beta, but it's rather horrible honestly. The first year is always so damn slow.

Convert from JSON back to BIN is broken and I've deleted everything in 

C:\Users\candle\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

as well as from 

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

did not fix it, the function does not work, it was working with update 5

Edited by Candle_86

15 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

[Update 6]
- Battle AI adjustments.

The update looks alright, except for these few issues:

As it stands, armor is about 50 percent too heavy in the late game, especially on the main turrets. currently, a Yamato turret in game weighs about 4100 tons, compared to the real life example that weights 2800 tons. Given the current weight of armor, it is impossible to replicate a Yamato battleship in-game. If anything, 1.3.9 armor was far more realistic.

Another thing I noticed is that the "Hull size" doesn't actually have anything to do with the size of the hull, and seems to be there to artificially buff/nerf armor  on certain hulls. For example, the USA modern heavy cruiser 1 has a hull size stat greater than all of the USA modern battleships, despite being a fraction of the size. I think that the "hull size" stat should be tied directly to displacement instead of the arbitrary listing currently in-game. Something similar should also be done about the resistance stat as well. 

Another thing that I noticed is that damage bleeds far too easily into the citadel, which means a few big HE hits to the fore and aft can sink a ship without ever penetrating the citadel, which makes armor even weaker than it already is, especially on ships with poor resistance stats like USA and Britain.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Werwaz said:

Another thing that I noticed is that damage bleeds far too easily into the citadel, which means a few big HE hits to the fore and aft can sink a ship without ever penetrating the citadel, which makes armor even weaker than it already is, especially on ships with poor resistance stats like USA and Britain.  

"no armor is best armor"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, German CL mk II guns said:

Just enough to block HE

Just enough to block HE often correlates with just enough to arm the fuse on an AP shell, no real good solution on what is the best amount of armor

15 hours ago, Werwaz said:

Citadel athwartships NEED to be added into the game. I'm honestly not sure why they haven't been added yet, and if they are in the game, there's no way in hell they're working properly. It feels like we're protecting our citadels with an armored corridor with only 4 sides rather than the armored box with 6 sides almost every ship in history actually used.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 11:39 AM, MDHansen said:

great update!

One thing; please, at least give us the choice to disable delays on tooltips on message popups. Having a turn with a handfull of messages with choice options takes forever to clear out😴

I don't mind tooltips, so maybe a general enable/disable tooltip delay choice

gonna quote myself here..

I am really not liking the tooltip delays. Particular on the map and tech screens. Please, please, give us the option to decide for ourselves if we want a delay or not.

I've been diggin through what is available in MelonLoader and UnityExplorer ingame, but can't find the relevant thing to tweak. It might not even be there, as this is just live editing of the ui (more or less)

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Werwaz said:

As it stands, armor is about 50 percent too heavy in the late game, especially on the main turrets. currently, a Yamato turret in game weighs about 4100 tons, compared to the real life example that weights 2800 tons. Given the current weight of armor, it is impossible to replicate a Yamato battleship in-game. If anything, 1.3.9 armor was far more realistic.

tbh, late gun techs and late towers need their weight to be slashed by half or at least by one third, because they are absurdly heavy.

Also, in my opinion, if a shell hits the superstructure of the aft/front belt, it should do no more than 400-500 damage, and if the bow/stern compartments get flooded, they shouldn't affect the ship no more than 80% floatability, and most importantly if a compartment is already destroyed, meaning that it is already red in the hud, it should deal no damage if it gets hit again. This is important because this is the way to make ships actually realistic, SPECIALLY IF THEY ARE USING ALL OR NOTHING, because the bow and stern were always lightly armored because there was nothing important in those sections, ships always sunk if their citadel was either torpedoed, or a shell went through and dealt massive damage causing the ship to sink. This means that if a shell defeats the ship armor and pierces into the citadel it should do catastrophic damage, or if a torpedo defeats the torpedo belt, it goes into the citadel, it should also deal massive amounts of damage. If these changes are applied, it allows the player to make more realistic ships, because they wouldn't have to waste tonnage armoring the bow and the stern of the ship.

• Like 2

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>Beta v1.4 Feedback<<< [Update 7]

[Update 7]
- Fixed "Withdraw" button not having effect in port strike missions with no warship opponent.
- Fixed ship collision issue causing, among other, no torpedo hits in some new hulls. (Needs testing)
- Fixed a few issues in some hulls. Please test the new 3-mast hull frontal dual torpedoes if they work now in all cases.
- Mark1, Mark2 single guns of 2-inch, 3-inch caliber no longer use the much heavier and bigger shielded model.
- Further adjustments in weights of ships. This may affect your current ship designs or AI designs but not critically.
- Auto-Design important optimization. You should notice much faster auto-design procedures, campaign turns, campaign generations.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

- Fixed a few issues in some hulls. Please test the new 3-mast hull frontal dual torpedoes if they work now in all cases.

Conflicts of the frontal dual torpedo tubes were fixed.

However, there are two 3-mast hulls, which originally had only one frontal torpedo tube. I didn't report it earlier because I thought it was a feature.

These hulls are “US 3-Mast Armored Cruiser” and US “Standard 3-Mast Cruiser”.

21.png

20.png

• Like 1