Game-Labs Forum

-=Thank you for the participation in our 6-month Roadmap=-

Nick Thomadis

Once the campaign is finished I really would like to see a few things.

1. Multiplayer: Co-Op and PvP battles where every player can design and control their own taskforce on the same battlefield. Also mixed Fleets like Player1 controls a German force and Player2 a Japanese one vs French and British fleets controlled by the ai or Player 3 and 4. Or simply every team is just one nation with two or more task forces. Maximum 4v4?

2. Expanded editor: More freedom in designing our ships(gun placement, custom casemate mounts, etc.) Perhaps importing of 3d moddels for towers and hulls. Gun designer (I just want octuple Pom Poms or custom bofors)

3. Even more hulls, guns, towers. Historical or alternative designs.

4. Multiple designs of one ship type in custom battles .

Something for the far future maybe even the next game: Carriers, Submarines in tactical battles 

On 2/3/2023 at 10:52 AM, kineuhansen said:

more british hulls between 1910 and 1940 with unique towers and diffrent funnels vanguard funnels would be nice so it not just that kg v style all battleships seem to get would love a proper representation of the g3 the hull we have is to short and to heavy york class and norfolk class heavy cruisers and town/belfast type and leander class light would be nice modern heavy cruiser 3 could use some non kgv towers would love to see queen elizabeth class iron duke renown class battlecruiser  original and refit of these ships

This, absolutely this.  
But I would actually say it would be good for all countries to be able to have more historically accurate Cruiser and Destroyer hulls.  It doesn't need to be massive, but the ability to have cruisers with the forecastle/lower after deck would be great, as well as the option for more and better funnels. 

The new generic light cruiser hulls are great, but not what I was hoping for.

Also, with hulls that have a step down for the aft part of the ship, it would be great to be able to move the step down forward/aft.  I always am fighting with ships that are too bow heavy (specifically battlecruisers and modernised dreadnoughts)  

QoL change: When designing a ship, if the player does anything that would delete the current unfinished design, like accidentally click another hull or something, have a pop up asking if he wants to save or discard the current project.

• Like 1

Dear Developers,

In general, I do not tend to contribute to online forums, however I was motivated to submit my thoughts as Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts has been the type of game I have been waiting for decades.

Regarding suggested developments, I agree with most of the suggested development ideas (especially the facility for modding) as it extends the life and profitability to many serious strategy games/franchises.   

However, my contribution to future developments of UAD echoes that post by ‘SodaBit’ on February 4th 2023 and supported by ‘kjg000’ shortly thereafter.

I waited some time before I purchased UAD, as I suspect like others, I wanted to make sure most of the bugs and ‘kinks’ had been sorted out before committing.

Having now purchased it, with all of the latest updates, I have run through the naval academy and a number of custom battles in order to get an idea as to how to operate the controls, construct the best ships and in short play the game. To this end, Brother Munro’s video’s have been invaluable.

However, I am somewhat daunted of jumping into the Grand Campaign, despite having watched hundred of hours of the playthough video’s (again with a massive thankyou to Brother Munro & Stealth) due to the shear challenge of handling the complexity and volume of a campaign on a global scale.

So, I would like to kindly suggest that the idea of having smaller scale territorial campaigns, as mentioned by SodaBit would be an excellent idea.

The key reasons being:

1.       It would allow a new player to focus upon a smaller area of operations, before progressing to a global campaign – which would aid the learning process.

2.     It provides the opportunity to experience different scenario’s, challenges and opponents given the geography.

3.     It would increase the opportunity to experience the challenges in multiples far greater than the current Grand campaign.

4.     Arguably one can currently only experience ONE MAP times 10 playing nations (10 experiences). If one introduces regional theatres maps as well, one can experience FIVE MAPS (North Sea, Mediterranean Sea, North Atlantic, Pacific & Global) by as many nations included within that map scenario (up to 50 experiences, subject to the nations included in that territory).

5.      Most importantly, from a commercial perspective, it extends the profitable life of the game. Players interest in the game is maintained and extended, and for the developers, the opportunity to increase sales/profits from DLC and further developments.

I hope you find this useful and this recommendation is taken onboard and look forward to UAD joining my much-loved personal must play list.     

23 hours ago, Canito said:

If you guys will no longer be able to develop the game after the summer my biggest ask its that you add mod support so the community can continue to improve/change the game to their liking.

-> This, absolutely this.

It's about immediate benefit vs potential for future benefit.

Mod support may not instantly give as much as straight up new features would, but it sets up the community for a much healthier long-term life cycle, while keeping the game relevant and increasing the chance a future DLC/Sequel will get noticed by an active customer base.

• Like 6

May developer let player change gun & torpedo launcher's shape?

even limit in each country's style.

each time I research to upgrade torpedo launcher, launcher always become larger and harder to put on ship.

When player get new Mk launcher, it will not change old ship's launcher in designer, which mean I can design a refit ship with older torpedo launcher. but once I save refit, leave the designer, refit ship and back to the designer, it will auto upgrade and let launcher has "badly placed". (it's hard to explain for my poor English.)ZWRVTME.jpg

In the battle. launcher still worked to shot torpedo sometime. but if I want to refit this ship again. I will have to remove the launcher. (and most time I don't have others place to put any launcher on the ship)

how funny that I didn't use torpedo in early game because too danger. but I can't use torpedo in late game too, because launcher too big to put on the small ship.

or I miss some step that can still put launcher on the same place?

Edited by itolan1752

Currently, playing a campaign where the AI uses shared design ships, the AI will often do such a poor job refitting those ships that they might as well have been AI designs in the first place.
The AI will replace Krupp III armor with Harvey armor, and replace a well layed out uniform main battery on a dreadnought with a mixed battery with terrible angles.

Suggestion to limit what the AI is allowed to do when refitting shared design ships:
When refitting a shared design ship, the AI should only be allowed to replace technology with newer technology, so they can upgrade from Krupp II to Krupp III, but not downgrade to Krupp I or Harvey.
Similarly with other modules, so they can go from Coincidence III to Coinc. IV, but not down to Coinc. I or II.
The AI should not be allowed to remove, replace, or move any turrets.
If the refit includes going from Mk. IV to Mk. V turrets, and the new turrets no longer fit, the AI should not refit the ship.

The AI could still be free to refit its own designs however they see fit (though restricting it from downgrading tech might be a good idea), but there should be some hard limits in place regarding what the AI can do to shared design ships.

• Like 2

Odd request, I know. Sometimes I design a ship and it performs exceptionally. Beyond being able to save the design for AI use (still wishing we had this in campaign mode), I'd like a way to export a high resolution copy of the ship card from the designer to my PC. Like this:

CL_Niobe.jpg.40be7c31809a7d1a1705eb98a62415db.jpg

Something completely impossible but awesome would be to be able to save a 3D model of the ship for 3D printing. I know Kerbal Space Program had some deal with a 3D print house for a while to do that. I personally just would like to be able to print it on my own printer. Obviously a tall order but a fun one.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Schmitty21 said:

Odd request, I know. Sometimes I design a ship and it performs exceptionally. Beyond being able to save the design for AI use (still wishing we had this in campaign mode), I'd like a way to export a high resolution copy of the ship card from the designer to my PC. Like this:

CL_Niobe.jpg.40be7c31809a7d1a1705eb98a62415db.jpg

Something completely impossible but awesome would be to be able to save a 3D model of the ship for 3D printing. I know Kerbal Space Program had some deal with a 3D print house for a while to do that. I personally just would like to be able to print it on my own printer. Obviously a tall order but a fun one.

Cool idea

• Like 1

1. Ability to construct refit designs.

2. Ability to save our campaign ships as shared designs.

3. Ability to sell some of our active ships to other nations rather than only srapping them. 

4. Ability to call our minor allies to help us at war.

5. Ability to dock and use allied ports for resupply or repair.

6. Ability to share/trade technologies with Allies

7. Ability to buy/sell production licence of a design.

8. Ability to permanently form a task force that can be easily managed from the fleet window.

9. Multiplayer battle and campaign.

10. More than one nation per side in battle (AI controlled Ally fleets). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Latur Husky said:

2. Ability to save our campaign ships as shared designs.

3. Ability to sell some of our active ships to other nations rather than only srapping them. 

4. Ability to call our minor allies to help us at war.

5. Ability to dock and use allied ports for resupply or repair.

6. Ability to share/trade technologies with Allies

7. Ability to buy/sell production licence of a design.

8. Ability to permanently form a task force that can be easily managed from the fleet window.

9. Multiplayer battle and campaign.

10. More than one nation per side in battle (AI controlled Ally fleets). 

1) you can. Copy your refit design and save. 

2) And to also use our already saved shared designs in the campaigns. 

3) You can. Mothball your ships and you will get a event to sell your used ships to your minor allies. 

4) No need. They are always at war against your enemies. 

5) you can't? Maybe a bug. 

10) already in game. Just set the allied ships to be AI controlled.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

1) Ability to manually Name our ships and ability to have ability to write a multiple ie. .txt files with a list of names and then we could select said list to be used naming a group of ships. (ie anime.txt containing anime character names and I could build a Weaboo class CL and select anime.txt as a name list and all the boats get their names from that list.)

2) Ability to build ships from refits. I know that you can copy+paste refit design and then build new upgraded ships that way, but I find out that to be unnecessary step due the ship editor loading time.

3. Ability to create task forces that are easily selectable from harbors. (ie. I could create a taskforce consisting of 3 K9-class BB, 5 Bear-class CA, 5 Wolverine-class CL and I could click once to select all the ships types needed (3xK9, 5xBear, 5x Wolverine) to create this task force and then easily move them to do their thing. If there is not enough ships available, the game could inform me that ie. Only 3x Bear-class ships were added)

4.) Select home port where task force always returns for repairs and other things that don't happen within your turn.
It annoys me a lot when my 151 000 ton Tiny-Class BB with 40% hull integrity goes into a harbor with 5000t capacity for 30 months to repair. it could be back in action within 12-15 months including the travel times if it would go to home port for repairs.

5.) Ability to select repair thresholds and/or have a confirmation if I want to ships go into repairs. And select if they go to their home port or nearest friendly port.
Repair threshold could be like go to home port if hull integrity is less than: 90%/75%/50%/25%/10%
I find it slightly annoying when I play as a Germany in 1900 and go to war with japan and it takes like 6-10 turns to get my fleet in their home waters and after one battle, where my single BB takes a single 4" HE to the belt and gets damaged and then my whole task force teleports back to Wilhelmshaven.

6.) If parts 4-5 are too complicated to implement make the damaged ships actually move back to port for repairs, so I can select them and command them to stay put, or to go whatever port I want them to go.

7.) Ability to build ships to major nations. ie. I'm allied to a Italy and democratic France with 3x the GDP is holding them back with constant wars and they're lagging behind with tech, so I could build some modern ships to them so the can keep up with the rest of the world.

8.) Ability to capture ships. If enemy surrenders because heavy casualties and I win that battle, I should be able to capture said surrendered ships and use them and if my ships would surrender I could keep them if I win that battle.

9.) Ability to research techs from ships captured/got from war reparation. Not directly get the techs from it, but I could select foreign design to be analyzed for 3-6m and get a huge bonus to techs I haven't yet unlocked. (But what the ship was equipped with) This would give a Spain more fighting chance, because I've seen it only survive over 15y in campaign when it Allies with me and I use my fleet to protect it. Playing as Spain is a challenging because they don't have that much GDP to start with and they're not a democracy until later. And Spain gets bullied by everyone else.

10.) Fix all bugs before adding new content.

11.) Add great mod support to keep this game alive for the next 30 years.

8 hours ago, Latur Husky said:

1. I agree, I know you can copy refit designs and build those, but it's an unnessescary extra step for something you'd think would be easy to implement.

3. Currently that works by mothballing a ship, but as long as you have the Add Crew option enabled, you can't really mothball anything as crew gets automatically added back. So this needs to be looked into, I think.

Hi, I'm enjoying the ship designer and the custom battles feature, but one of the things I would really like is the ability to use multiple battleship (or any ship class) designs in a single custom battle.

Currently, if there are two battleship designs (call them A and C) made for a custom battle, the game will only pick the most recent design (in this case, C).

Being able to select all different designs for a custom battle will make it easier to re-enact historical battles where two or more different battleship classes on the same side were used (i.e. I would like to have Nelson-class battleships and KGV class battleships in the same fleet).  

• Like 1

So, a few suggestions for the Campaign:

1. Some sort of an "auto-diplomacy tool", which would be (at the minimal viable product level) able to automatically cycle between two player-selected actions every other month. Quite a lot of turns are basically just insta-skip, except you have to go into the Diplomacy tab, choose the desired action and confirm it every single time, even if for example you are just trying to improve relations with the same two countries over and over again. Quite quickly it becomes a chore.
  2. Please add a filter system for beginning-of-turn messages. I don't want to click through a dozen messages about mine damage, land battle losses and failed relations influence attempts, especially when they are about third countries and do not influence the player empire in any way
  3. Please add "hyperlinks" into mine damage messages, so that the player is able to quickly find their affected ships instead of scrolling the map to and fro while desperately trying to remember where is DD V-123 specifically located at this time
  4. Please, please add ship damage level into the pre-battle screen  and ship moving screen
  5. Please add "Default strategy" option into the ship builder which would affect autoresolve battles.
    Suppose I have 3 destroyer types:
    1. A counter-destroyer gunboat that I would like to screen for my capital ships,
    2.  A torpedo boat type destroyer that I would like to torpedo-rush enemy capital ships
    3. A "frigate" destroyer with minimal armor and armament, which is meant to set and sweep mines and hunt subs, which I would like to just retreat in any fleet battles
  6. Last but not least, a "First contact" option for battles. Let me explain:

Suppose your TF of 100 ships faces an enemy TF of 100 ships. Actually playing this battle would be a huge undertaking, requiring like an hour of real time, a lot of effort and a beefy PC. The alternative - autoresolve - feels a lot like just rolling some dice and may lead to serious losses, that would be easily avoidable if I played the battle manually

I propose a compromise: give the player an option to manually play a short battle between vanguard squadrons (like the BC clash at the start of battle of Jutland) or maybe between destroyer screens, or maybe a time-limited convoy raid "before the arrival of the main fleet", somethig like that

Then the rest of the battle would be autoresolved with a major bonus to the side which won the first contact.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:51 AM, o Barão said:

1) you can. Copy your refit design and save. 

It's pretty bad to do that. I constantly find myself making outdated ships so they're all of the same class. If I make 10 Ship A, then 5 years later refit them to Ship A2 and decide I want to make 10 more Ship A2 I either have to make 10 Ship A, wait for them to construct, then refit them or I copy/save and make 10 Ship B. 5 more years later when I decide to refit Ship A2 to Ship A3 then refitting Ship A2 to A3 works, but Ship B now has to have a refit separately to Ship B2 so it matches Ship A3. More refits only make this more and more painful. It's to the point I'll rather continue making new ships of the original 20 year old design rather than make update base ships because I don't want 5 different class of the same design that I have to keep updating separately.

Can the designer UI be updated to show your cumulative probability of flaws in the ship designer? Even if you choose to leave out the base chance (60% IIRC) can it at least show what my techs reduce the chance by and what the cumulative +% chance is based on what I've put in? I can and do add it up to get an idea what my flaw chance is, but it's annoying to have to go back through and double check that the engine is 5%, the prop is 4%, the aux is 5%, the armour is 2.5%, the citadel is 10%, the reloading is 5%, etc. and add it all up on every ship because my designs don't always use the same components. Just a UI element that adds it all up for us would be nice so I can more easily see the flaw chance and balance it against the value of a component. And like I mentioned earlier it would be nice if the ship designer included the flaw reduction from research so if I forget to check before going into the designer I don't have to abandon the design, wait to load out of designer, check research and load back into designer again.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but the ability to check the map or at least indicate where provinces are in the peace treaty concessions would be nice. I sometimes forget and mix up names on where locations are. Having to tab out to google a location to decide if I actually want to gamble on getting it is pretty annoying.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vaarsuvius said:

It's pretty bad to do that. I constantly find myself making outdated ships so they're all of the same class. If I make 10 Ship A, then 5 years later refit them to Ship A2 and decide I want to make 10 more Ship A2 I either have to make 10 Ship A, wait for them to construct, then refit them or I copy/save and make 10 Ship B. 5 more years later when I decide to refit Ship A2 to Ship A3 then refitting Ship A2 to A3 works, but Ship B now has to have a refit separately to Ship B2 so it matches Ship A3. More refits only make this more and more painful. It's to the point I'll rather continue making new ships of the original 20 year old design rather than make update base ships because I don't want 5 different class of the same design that I have to keep updating separately.

The UI can always be better, I agree, however the issue here can be easily ignored be the player. Let's follow the process again...

- You have the A design. 

- 5 years later you make the A1 refit design. 

- And you also make the A1-C to build directly new ships from the upgraded version.

"What is missing here? "

- To delete the A design from the ship list. 

- Repeat the process all the time you make a new design from a old ship.

There is no reason to clutter the ship list with old designs.  Don't be nostalgic. 

Delete the old designs and move on. Keep the ship list clean as possible with only the ships that are really important for your fleet. 

31 minutes ago, o Barão said:

The UI can always be better, I agree, however the issue here can be easily ignored be the player. Let's follow the process again...

- You have the A design. 

- 5 years later you make the A1 refit design. 

- And you also make the A1-C to build directly new ships from the upgraded version.

"What is missing here? "

- To delete the A design from the ship list. 

- Repeat the process all the time you make a new design from a old ship.

There is no reason to clutter the ship list with old designs.  Don't be nostalgic. 

Delete the old designs and move on. Keep the ship list clean as possible with only the ships that are really important for your fleet. 

I do delete A from the ship list, but then I have A1 Refit and A1-C. And when I refit A1 Refit to A1 Refit-2 then I also have to refit any ships I made of A1-C, and I need to do a separate refit of A1-C so I'll have A1 Refit-2 and A1-C Refit so all my ships are upgraded. Unless you're saying that every time I refit a ship I should instead scrap all of the older vessels and only make new ships.

Or maybe there's some shenanigans you can do with names of classes to make it work out. I haven't figured it out yet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vaarsuvius said:

I do delete A from the ship list, but then I have A1 Refit and A1-C. And when I refit A1 Refit to A1 Refit-2 then I also have to refit any ships I made of A1-C, and I need to do a separate refit of A1-C so I'll have A1 Refit-2 and A1-C Refit so all my ships are upgraded.

True, is not well implemented. Well, at least we have that option.

1 hour ago, o Barão said:

True, is not well implemented. Well, at least we have that option.

Well, i think it would be best, if Refits were in separate tabs so its less chaotic..