Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.1 Feedback<<< [RC 6]

Nick Thomadis

Countries seems to be weaker right now. I started in 1900. It is 1905, and there was a comunist revolution in Russia. Great Britain, Germany and China decided to give up. Before this latest update ( a day ago) i had a save where germany managed to capture Northeast England, and britain was still a working country. This time i created new save as Spain. Great Britain lost Gibraltar and decided to give up.

For new features it would be nice if you can see status of your ships in the window where you are deciding if you want to go to battle or not. Amount of ammunition , Fuel and Health.

It would also be nice if you would be able to create a fleet, or some kind of groups. I always end up with single DDs after rest of the group is damaged, and went back for repairs, because they do not go back to their groups.

It would be nice if you can lock a group, and for example set that group should go to repair if the total damage goes above for example 80% so the ship would stay together.

Economical Collapses are still happening all over the place. In my German 1900 campaign, I am now 4 years in and managed to avoid war (by diplomacy). However, the other AI great powers have been engaging in several wars and as a result by november 1904, The Russian Empire, Great Britain and France have collapsed. I find that these kind of events are a bit too frequent. This happens probably due to excessive transport capacity being sunk. However, I feel that the level of GDP drops that result from that are a bit much.

In addition, it would be great if an nation AI will actively do a couple of things:

- Do not commit into more than a single war at a time (I see some nations getting involved in 2-3 separate wars at once)

- Actively try to maintain peace with powers if you are unsure that you cannot "overwhelm" them. This should prevent great powers that are too weak from seeking out fights with other nations that they should not be able to win. The AI should judge this based on GDP and current naval assets.

- Seek out peace when the risk of economical collapse or revolution gets too high. I feel that this one is by far the most important, as AI nations seem to want to fight it out to the death.

Also, gameplay wise, I would advocate that "collapsed" nations are not wiped from the map, but forced to capitulate in which harsh peace negotiations will be enforced. These collapsed nations should hence refrain from any conflict for the next 5-10 years. 

image.thumb.jpeg.832f653face674267066ca48ba7725c5.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lima said:

Ground warfare requires proper prioritization

Germany is attacking

03013.jpg

Meanwhile

039814.jpg

I think the loss of the main territory of the country is a problem.

Also, we should be able to suggest land attacks, at least on coast provinces. For example, in my bricked Spain campaign, Gibraltar was independent for over a decade. And nobody thought of trying to take it, neither while at war with the UK or afterwards when it became independent. As an strategic naval point, we should be able to tell the government "Eh! We need that place!"

Edited by The PC Collector
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, Lima said:

Ground warfare requires proper prioritization

Germany is attacking

03013.jpg

Meanwhile

039814.jpg

I think the loss of the main territory of the country is a problem.

I have seen a couple of campaigns in which Germany rolls up France on land, but gets decimated at sea by having their transports (hence economical activity) sunk. Effectively, France lost the land campaign and should capitulate, but by the luck of Germany being near to revolution or economical collapse gets saved, eventhough they hardly have any troops left to do anything, even in their colonies.

Although I am fully aware of how WW1 ended, with effectively Germany suffering from revolution and economical collapse, I feel that once Germany takes over large parts of France (North and South) they should capitulate and sue for peace. Also, I would advocate to split France proper into more provinces. There should be an Alsace-Lorraine like province between Germany and France, as this was the "source" of much hostility between these nations. Also, a central French provinces which includes the Paris area should prevent that when the northern part of France falls to Germany that effectively the war on land is lost. 

EDIT: Also, offensives should be reinforced by the attacker and defender where possible/necessary. Indeed defense of the core provinces of a nation should be the highest priority. Now, an offensive is set up with some forces on either side from the start and someone eventually always wins (often the attacker) eventhough the nations involved still have plenty of troops in adjacent provinces or even within the province.

Edited by Tycondero
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Admiral Donuts said:

Cannot change speed, cannot maneuver manually, should have just auto-resolved and let the game play itself.

If the speed locks up, go to non-compressed time and make any manouver with left click and the speed slider will unlock again. Going to 1x speed is essential, it won't work on any compression or pause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Sattler said:

If the speed locks up, go to non-compressed time and make any manouver with left click and the speed slider will unlock again. Going to 1x speed is essential, it won't work on any compression or pause.

Dropping to uncompressed time, at least in my experience, is not mandatory.  When it happens to me, it is always during the FPS drops everyone talks about.  This leads me to believe it is not just a visual skip, but a physics skip, and the game is not processing the interrupt command from the mouse click.  Too long, did not read version, the game is missing the player's command due to processing lag.

As I am not 100% sure on this, I will be attempting to single that out during testing today.

13 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

*Update 12*
- Continuous fixes on the formation movement lines. The jitter you previously noticed, which was an old bug, should be now fixed, even in fast forward game speed.

• I ordered the ship to turn by clicking somewhere very far away from the ship.
  • The ship instead gets the ordered to turn to an invisible location very close to the ship, forcing the captain to make an aggressive turn, and then a snake pattern starts to fix the course. (issue number 1)
  • The ship behind have a delay action to follow the leading ship and makes a wider turn. The same happens to the 3 ship following the 2 ship, and the 4 ship following the 3 ship. (issue number 2)

About the shell trajectory.

• It is clear, in this example, there is an issue with the shell's trajectory aiming to a place in the water ahead of the target.
  • In best conditions, we will see a similar thing, but with the shells aiming to a forward section of the target.
  • In both situations, this is clear not normal and every time we see a lonely shell flying to the stern area of the target, we know from the start that shell is going to be a hit, breaking the immersion. (issue)
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Suribachi said:

As I am not 100% sure on this, I will be attempting to single that out during testing today.

It seems to me you are correct. Happened again to me yesterday, and it worked after I tried a few times to change the speed. However, I don't remember if I was playing x1 or compressed time.

55 minutes ago, Suribachi said:

Dropping to uncompressed time, at least in my experience, is not mandatory.  When it happens to me, it is always during the FPS drops everyone talks about.  This leads me to believe it is not just a visual skip, but a physics skip, and the game is not processing the interrupt command from the mouse click.  Too long, did not read version, the game is missing the player's command due to processing lag.

I think we are talking about seperate issues here.

What I'm talking about is the speed-slider locking up after using AI control on a formation. You can even see the speed-slider change colour to looking almost grayed-out.

Just now, Norbert Sattler said:

I think we are talking about seperate issues here.

What I'm talking about is the speed-slider locking up after using AI control on a formation. You can even see the speed-slider change colour to looking almost grayed-out.

I was actually referring to the speed slider locking up, however, in my case the division I was trying to change the speed of was never under AI control in that battle.  This leads me to believe something else is going.

Like I said earlier, I am not 100% sure what is causing it and will try to chase it down if I can so it is repeatable on my end.  But if you say the speed slider locks after AI control and is repeatable, once it is found and fixed it should address the issue I am running into by proxy.

Something I desperately want to have in the game is the ability to reject a peace treaty if the loser is unwilling to give up what the winner demands.

When I click the checkbox next to a province in the peace deal it very often happens that the AI just decides "No, I'll ignore your demands and just give you money instead". If that happens we should absolutely have the ability to say that is a breach of the conditions for the peace and thus we will continue the war.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, PoB said:

Yeah I lost a new campaign with that, too. It looks like all the ships that existed before the patch are part of a ghost fleet and only newly built ships populated the map. 

I haven't got in the good habit of backing up my saves since starting the beta branch....

Also ships that were in port when the bug appeared can be sent out for action, but those that wewre at sea are evidently lost in some kind of world-wide Bermuda-triangle! No worries though, these things happen with betas and lets look at it this way; we get to spend more time playing! 🙂

Beta... if you want to call it that.

Technically the game is still in pre-alpha, so if we went with the terms used in open source, the "beta" is actully the nightly branch of the current pre-alpha version, while the non-beta is the stable pre-alpha branch.
But Steam calls this feature to host multiple version of the same game Beta, so that's probably why the devs used the term too to avoid confusion, even though it's technically incorrect.

@Nick Thomadis Any chance a borderless window mode is ever going to be implemented?

44 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

@Nick Thomadis Any chance a borderless window mode is ever going to be implemented?

You can get it to work by turning off fullscreen in settings and then pressing Alt+Enter to enter borderless fullscreen. Works with a couple other games that don't have borderless windowed like Kerbal Space Program too. 

*Update 13*
- Fixed more bugs of the campaign that were reported. If you anticipate a bug when accepting a dialogue ("yes" button) please make an in-game report.
- Fixed pathfinding errors of the campaign. Please notify us if you cannot move ships from one port to another.
- Fixed bugs in war results and VP calculations.
- Fixed bug of army distribution that made it not work accurately.
- Made further improvements in formations and evasion logic.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO DOWNLOAD

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Beta... if you want to call it that.

Technically the game is still in pre-alpha, so if we went with the terms used in open source, the "beta" is actully the nightly branch of the current pre-alpha version, while the non-beta is the stable pre-alpha branch.
But Steam calls this feature to host multiple version of the same game Beta, so that's probably why the devs used the term too to avoid confusion, even though it's technically incorrect.

We will check the borderless window mode asap.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lima said:

Britain has allies - the US and Japan. I am not at war with them, but they are helping Britain in this offensive.

999.jpg

The allies of Britain should be at war with you or else their alliance should not be valid. So it is good that Britain's allies help in battle but it is not correct that they have not declared war at you.
If someone gets such an issue please make an in-game report.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The allies of Britain should be at war with you or else their alliance should not be valid. So it is good that Britain's allies help in battle but it is not correct that they have not declared war at you.
If someone gets such an issue please make an in-game report.

The war with Britain took ten turns, and during this time none of them declared war on me. This is strange, because usually all allies go to war.

38 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

I just tried that and it doesn't work. When I click out of the game to my other screen, the game minimizes and stops all activity.

What I want is to do other stuff on my second screen while the game goes through it's 2+ minute turns.

For me this workaround actually does work. I alt-tabbed after hitting next turn and when i came back turn was complete

This is an old one but very annoying.

Points are awarded for damage that pre-existed before the battle.

I get in a battle with a taskforce that was already damaged from previous fights. Ships never spotted each other, no shots were ever fired. Yet enemy gets points for pre-existing damage. Damage that my ships already had before joining battle.
This SHOULD NOT happen, as it is unfair and actually makes it possible for the enemy (or player) to get points twice for the same damage.

• Like 1