Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.1 Feedback<<< [RC 6]

Nick Thomadis

2 hours ago, Mundus_Dog said:

that is the same exact thing lol the zero is assumed to be there because thats how decimals work. if i told you i have 12.50 fleets built it would be the same thing as me saying i have 12.5 fleets built. this is version 1.1 or ver. 1.10 the zero does not change anything except for making it longer. i know we dont really do that with money but we arent trading versions of the game and you still can its just that $57.9 doesnt look right to us because we are used to the zero. This isnt meant to be rude just informative sorry if it came across as rude. you are a lovely human keep your head up.

Not always. It is  not uncommon at all that version are not treated as decimals but as 2 part numbers. 1.1 is first version after 1   While  1.11 woudl be  eleventh version after 11. That is VERY VERY common in software development in fact

• Like 1

Ships whose constructionvis being suspended seems to continue being build. They no longer occupy shipbuilding capacity, but every turn they got one month less before being completed 

Edit: percentages are correct but time in months is not. But the suspended ships stopped building

Edited by Zuikaku

It's just a destroyer beating up a battleship. This is the best result for a battleship, by the way. In previous versions in 1940, the destroyer did not have a chance. Now...

Yes I know what HMS Acasta did. But she was sunk in the end. Now you can attack battleships with destroyers and sail away without any problems.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lima said:

It's just a destroyer beating up a battleship. This is the best result for a battleship, by the way. In previous versions in 1940, the destroyer did not have a chance. Now...

Yes I know what HMS Acasta did. But she was sunk in the end. Now you can attack battleships with destroyers and sail away without any problems.

The real question, is why the battleship moving forward to close the distance against a DD? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lima said:

if you moused over the battleship to see what its hit chance looked like it would probably show you that none of the guns have locked the aim. This might make sense against a small fast moving target, but I've been noticing that it applies in battleship on battleship combat as well. 

Without locked aim your hit chance is reduced by ~50% on top of any maluses you might have from hull stability, sea state, the size of the target, etc. 

• Like 2

A couple more problems

Examples from two fights, all this is repeated regularly.

Rear turrets are stuck 1

2023-01-14-18-55-03.png

Rear turrets are stuck 1

2023-01-14-22-31-44.png

The enemy's turrets are stubbornly looking in the direction where there are no my ships

2023-01-15-21-31-18.png

Sitting ducks. It's not something new, but it's not such a big battle that I expected it. There have been a lot of sitting ducks in small fights lately.

2023-01-15-21-33-47.png

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

if you moused over the battleship to see what its hit chance looked like it would probably show you that none of the guns have locked the aim. This might make sense against a small fast moving target, but I've been noticing that it applies in battleship on battleship combat as well. 

Without locked aim your hit chance is reduced by ~50% on top of any maluses you might have from hull stability, sea state, the size of the target, etc. 

I was going to show her modules and accuracy, but she exploded. This battleship is generated by AI, but I added a veteran crew to her, Electro-Hydro II, Coinc-V and Gen III.

The problem is that in most battles (and I'm sure in this one too) the guns were aimed, but their accuracy is extremely low. Of course my battleships won't end up like this one because I'll be running away and dodging torpedoes, but it takes a very long time (and sometimes I even run out of shells). Sometimes I wish I had aircraft carriers on hand.

10 minutes ago, Lima said:

I was going to show her modules and accuracy, but she exploded. This battleship is generated by AI, but I added a veteran crew to her, Electro-Hydro II, Coinc-V and Gen III.

The problem is that in most battles (and I'm sure in this one too) the guns were aimed, but their accuracy is extremely low. Of course my battleships won't end up like this one because I'll be running away and dodging torpedoes, but it takes a very long time (and sometimes I even run out of shells). Sometimes I wish I had aircraft carriers on hand.

targeting_confidence_smoothen,X,smoothening the targeting delta per salvo with this factor (bigger value makes the targeting progress to grow faster),,,,,,,

Because I've been modding 1.10 I have copies of the old hotfix resources file, in HF17 X = 125, in HF20 X=60

Aiming progress doesn't simply increase slowly, it fails to increase at all, which makes me think that there are other factors which push aiming progress back down [ship speed? maneuvering?] Where a value of 60 isn't enough to overcome these even under the best circumstances [I was performing tests with 30s battleships with veteran crews]

The target locked system is the single most important determinant in the accuracy of your guns and i haven't the feintest idea of how it's calculated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Lima said:

Totally agreed. That shouldn't be possible, except on very favourable conditions which allowed the DD to sneak up on the BB. And after the aim changes, it can be done consistently. I've been able to sink very competitive AI BBs by doing nothing but circling around the enemy BB until it is sunk or until I run out of torpedoes, without even being hit once. Consistently. With shitty captured DDs with 1km torpedo range.

• Like 4

Seems almost pointless to build BB's anymore, their entire viability is being able to outrange other ships with their main guns.

Even with maxed out crews, rangefinders, radar and MKV guns, they struggle to hit anything 1km away. For some reason, they continually forget their firing solutions on targets who are not maneuvering while staying at a steady cruise speed themselves. Once "aimed", they should stay that way unless something drastic occurs, and even then, advanced radar should negate that.

I literally debated ramming a CA in 1935 after failing to hit it from 20km out for over 100 salvos.

Gonna have to skip testing for now until another patch comes out.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, DieselPower said:

Seems almost pointless to build BB's anymore, their entire viability is being able to outrange other ships with their main guns.

About BB, you can build it, but probably 12.9" guns with +20% barrel length. Since January(2022) for me, the BB are obsolete. Only meaningful to provide the power projection.

No balance in beta, that is why I waiting little for the mod to balance at least the guns. 

Right now my fleet are 50% as DD, and somehow as AH I liked the CA. 

Edited by Plazma
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lima said:

This is what many have been talking about. Ships near the target are just magnets for projectiles. This has been a long-standing problem, but now it has become the best way to deal damage to the enemy.

Pretty much. In lieu of accurate guns, I've started to just target whatever is behind the ship I wanna shoot at. It's cheese but sadly the only way to really do any damage a lot of the time. It also tends to be how my screen ships die, as they seemingly enjoy cuddling a lot more than they enjoy actually staying alive for more than 30 seconds.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:02 PM, Fangoriously said:

That max of +30 is just modest window dressing, here's how big an impact its actually having

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

when your ship is selected, and you mouse over your target, a few other stats appear in the column on the left. Most notable is that huge +780 'range found' bonus to accuracy. Just from a 'regular' trained crew, giving a mere +11.5 constant bonus, far from a vet's +30. Vets can get this number over +1500.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

The second of my BBs has a modestly trained cadet crew, giving a constant -8.1 accuracy "bonus". They have fired numerous salvos and still don't have a fix on the target, yielding a further -37.1 range finding 'bonus'. I actually quite like the system this way, there really would be this large a gulf in capability in someone crew that barely understands whats going on and those that have a year at sea.

Keep in mind any tool tip you mouse over with accuracy tables is showing what clueless cadets could do with the guns, be unafraid of the supposed poor accuracy of 16in+ guns, as long as you have your crew at least up to 'regular' level. Also the single or double digit accuracy bonuses from using long barrel main guns on your ship is a joke compared to triple and quadruple digit 'range found' bonuses from crew. Never waste tonnage on long barrels, chop them down till they have a max range you find acceptable, then pair them with stereoscopic range finders. If your guns only reach out to 20km, then thats considered 'long range' by the game, and you reap maximum benefit wile also being physically at relatively close range, were accuracy was already going to be pretty good. Also, long barrels will have you hitting mostly the thickest belt armor, short barrels will drop shells perpendicular on the thin deck. Did i mention short barrels also reduce reload time too?

Sorry guys, I really should not have posted this, showing the devs what the main factor in gun accuracy was in their own game. In the very next patch after this post they nerfed these values by an order of magnitude, and guns any larger than 13in simply do not work any more, hits are thanks exclusively to blind luck regardless of how stable a firing platform the ship is or how veteran the crew. Conducting battles at 1890 engagement range in 1930 ships barely helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fangoriously said:

Sorry guys, I really should not have posted this, showing the devs what the main factor in gun accuracy was in their own game. In the very next patch after this post they nerfed these values by an order of magnitude, and guns any larger than 13in simply do not work any more, hits are thanks exclusively to blind luck regardless of how stable a firing platform the ship is or how veteran the crew. Conducting battles at 1890 engagement range in 1930 ships barely helps.

The range found bonus is a deliberate thing. I haven't tested this extensively but I think the bonus itself is proportional to the size of your other base accuracy bonuses, or is at least affected by them, because the size of the bonus varies significantly. 

5 hours ago, Plazma said:

About BB, you can build it, but probably 12.9" guns with +20% barrel length. Since January(2022) for me, the BB are obsolete. Only meaningful to provide the power projection.

No balance in beta, that is why I waiting little for the mod to balance at least the guns. 

Right now my fleet are 50% as DD, and somehow as AH I liked the CA. 

May be you can chose 3 × 20-inch MK5🤣

• Like 1

Invasions running okay.

Land battles okay. 

Problem with forward batteries training.

Ever so often ships zigzag but stop.

No problem with ramming.

Playing Germany 1900 as game goes smoother here. It's 1905 have all but three Chinese ports. Now allied with same. Japan and England just up and started war with me . Running BCs as they are better workhorses. All in all game is getting better, still love my cruiser fleet. 

8 hours ago, DieselPower said:

Even with maxed out crews, rangefinders, radar and MKV guns, they struggle to hit anything 1km away. For some reason, they continually forget their firing solutions on targets who are not maneuvering while staying at a steady cruise speed themselves. Once "aimed", they should stay that way unless something drastic occurs, and even then, advanced radar should negate that.

I literally debated ramming a CA in 1935 after failing to hit it from 20km out for over 100 salvos.

Gonna have to skip testing for now until another patch comes out.

Yeah, it is curious a game which "dreadnoughts" in its name, where Dreadnoughts are pointless because the only viable weapons are torpedoes...

The new aiming system is horrible, in 1890 I didn't notice because you don't expect hitting consistently from afar, but in 1920 my ships still struggle to hit consistently more than 1km away. No matter crew experience, no matter anything else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

Yeah, it is curious a game which "dreadnoughts" in its name, where Dreadnoughts are pointless because the only viable weapons are torpedoes...

The new aiming system is horrible, in 1890 I didn't notice because you don't expect hitting consistently from afar, but in 1920 my ships still struggle to hit consistently more than 1km away. No matter crew experience, no matter anything else.

The current version of the main gun has low accuracy even in 1950

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Alnitak said:

The power of Torpedo

1.thumb.jpg.6faef095f8c66074c6d58843ecf25649.jpg

Let me fix the title for you.

"The silliness to complain about torpedoes in the forum without using adequate protection."

There you go. Much better now. Or do you really think I wouldn't notice that you took 4132 torpedo damage with only 2 torpedoes?

2 hours ago, lordcmdr said:

Now I’m imagining a Spiffing Brit type video of cheesing the campaign by building nothing but destroyers. 
Any destroyer that decides to yolo 3-5km from a battleship should be smacked pretty quickly. 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1069660/discussions/0/3191363817374588874/

I did that exactly one year ago, but instead of using destroyers, the experiment was with torpedo boats.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1