Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.09 Feedback (Released)<<<

Nick Thomadis

POSIBLE BUGS

There I have another bug. Everytime I finish a battle I get stuck like this (See the image). There is a big problem with corrupted saves on this update that needs to be polished as this is my 4th campaing that gets stuck gefore getting to 1900s.

image.thumb.png.56627ae778a2f00f18ad9ad1c2b10e2b.png

Also the pathfinding problem where ships on the same formation keeps overspeeding and raming each other that some players have reported.

And lately the AI have been starting the battle with almost destroyed ships with broken engines but I dont think thas a bug. More like trying to fight to the last man before getting a blockade (I still can't understand why it doesn't surrender) while getting smashed by half the world powers. And that moves to the next point.

THINGS THAT NEED A LOOK

I think the AI falls too fast into full World War mode. Despite having no alliances my world ALLWAYS have world wars before 1895 so I think the whole relationship system needs a rework. It wasnt so evident before but now with all the nations around the world it starts to be concerning. Conflicts involving 2/3 nations shouldn't be a problem but instead, once the first war starts, the world cascades into full 40K eternal war mode... These conficts with 5 or more superpowers involved sould be something scarce and not the standar rule.

I think this is one of the reason that research speed is so difficult to calibrate. Once a country goes into war, the economy growth usually stagnates or even goes negative due to transport losses. If all the world powers are fighting the end result is a economical crysis and technological slow down no one gets ahead and the research speed up for common technologies can't work properly. Not only they can't invest enought on research but also the bad growth adds to the problem.

Making the AI less sensible to foreign conflicts should help improve these two things. It's a win/win situacion for them. If two world powers start to slaughter each other, two potential enemies get weaker while they keep economical power and fighting ability. Just make the AI more irrational and susceptible around the 1910s, 1930s and 1950s (if you start campaing on 1890, this is every 20 years and works like world/cold wars from those periods).

ADITIONS THAT WOULD SPICE UP THE THINGS SO PEACETIME PERIODS (That I would like to become a more common thing) DOESN'T BECOME A "NEXT TURN" BUTTON SMASHER.

Minor factions. These ones would be more active than major factions and would work with major factions like a patronage system. They would give you a economical boost but you have to suport them on border conflicts and suport theyr economy. These conficts should be with neighbouring or close minor factions (like Portugal with Denmark or/and Morocco and not Chile) and should be able to drag boss powers (like Spain for portugal, France for Morocco, and Germany or UK for Denmark, for example) without dragging all the world powers behind. The system would work like this.

-Minor powers like Portugal Greece or Morocco are there.

-Minor powers can be suported by only one world power but a single world power can suppor multiple minor factions.

-World powers are more passive with each other becoming more active on specific decades and then going back to rebuild economy and research.

-Minor factions are more active and have their own simplified budget and economy hidden to the player.

-Minor powers can't research, but can boost world powers with very limited transport networks.

-Minor powers have limited access to build small fleets with limited access to the parent world power technology (like 1-2 BBs, 5-6 CA/CL, 10-12 TB/DD from technologies 1 tier lower).

-World powers can put ships on sale that can be bought by corresponding minor factions. If they can afford it.

-World powers can use limited minor power port tonnage to dock theyr ships but this may raise tension with neighboring major and minor oposing powers.

-World powers can use supply lines based on minor power ports at increased economic cost (this would be activated through a checkbox on a task force menu.

-World powers can invest on minor powers throught events and direct intervention to atract them to our power sphere. Diferent superpowers would have diferent cultural bonifications depending on the minor faction. (Seriously. We as players NEED to be able to direct diplomacy aside from special events. If we are important enought to be asked about diplomacy we should be able to make proposals paying with naval prestige and our own funds).

I have been playing a lot this week trying to test everyting I could so I'm gona take a few days or weeks of rest and give the updates some time to build up and try to help finding more problems.

• Like 7

A new update is available. Please restart Steam to get it fast.

Beta Update 5 (21/10/2022)

- The turret rotation bug should be now totally fixed. Guns should follow the designed rotation patterns and not overlap with the hull when it lists.
- Transport Capacity now directly affects Ammo/Fuel replenishment rate. It is expected to notice shortages when Transport Capacity becomes too low.
- Battle AI further improvement to create more effective attack maneuvers and firing angles.
- Formation fixes addressing an issue where the rear ships could overcome the lead ship of a division.
- Fix of fuel consumption which wrongly used previous turn path even if the fleet was stationary. Players must note that fleets consume fuel not only from their straight paths but also doing patrols around the main formation according to their control zones, so the fuel consumption is affected accordingly and is not measured with a simple subtraction Operational Range - Path travelled.
- Various Map pathfinding adjustments (It is pending to fix some known remaining inconsistencies).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikekervin said:

Impossible to select Le Havre port, it seems the english channel is stealing the click

There have been a lot of those...Try Sicily... can't move between the 3 ports (can only assign ships during building to all of them)
As noted map is still very WIP

Even with the totally fixed turrets, the spooky smoke ghosts of maximum gun elevation, and instant enemy ship impacting,  persist. i actually thought to send a bug report in game this time.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Gotta give the AI props for this design though, it auto generate an opposing battleship to test against my ship, and it created something so minmaxed to this battleship duel, id think a human designed it. Nothing but 9 18in guns on a photo realistic American fast battleship

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

Even with the totally fixed turrets, the spooky smoke ghosts of maximum gun elevation, and instant enemy ship impacting,  persist. i actually thought to send a bug report in game this time.

Gotta give the AI props for this design though, it auto generate an opposing battleship to test against my ship, and it created something so minmaxed to this battleship duel, id think a human designed it. Nothing but 9 18in guns on a photo realistic American fast battleship

oh lawd she comin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Capilla said:

-World powers can invest on minor powers throught events and direct intervention to atract them to our power sphere. Diferent superpowers would have diferent cultural bonifications depending on the minor faction. (Seriously. We as players NEED to be able to direct diplomacy aside from special events. If we are important enought to be asked about diplomacy we should be able to make proposals paying with naval prestige and our own funds).

The entire post is worth reading but this point in particular is important.

Some have argued that this is Ultimate Admiral not Ultimate Government or whatever and so the player should not have the final word on a nations diplomacy. Fair enough, then we need to delete the research options, delete the ability to design ships, limit the ability to build ships to only those with government approval, stop players from directly controlling ships and so on as these are not the usual duties of an Admiral. We also need to give players the ability to designate patrol routs, choose which ships to detach for specific missions, approve supply expenses etcetera, which are some of the usual duties of an Admiral and their staff. Sounds like a boooooring game to me. Ultimate Accountant anyone?

Obviously the above is nonsense, UA:Dreadnoughts is a game, not a true historical simulation. As such we take on many roles Admirals (more like Commodores), politicians, naval architects etc. Realism in this context is a vague term, certainly relevant, but not as important as game play. Even the Dev's acknowledge this through their design choices.

So yes, we need more agency over the political domain and less inconsistent focus on questionable realism.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Capilla said:

ADITIONS THAT WOULD SPICE UP THE THINGS SO PEACETIME PERIODS (That I would like to become a more common thing) DOESN'T BECOME A "NEXT TURN" BUTTON SMASHER.

I agree, the balance between periods of war and periods of peace is currently off. Other games have used a "Skip to next event" mode which may be useful during peace time and help speed up the game while improving game balance.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

@Nick Thomadis AI aggresiveness IS NOT fixed. Unless they have absolute advantage, they don't even attempt to engage. If they have even the slightest disadvantage (Like my 4400 T CA against theit 4100 T CA in the last one) they turn 180º away as soon as the battle starts.

Yes, and while this was annoying and poor game play in the past, we now suffer an additional penalty in fuel use as well as free VPs to the AI if your ships started with damage or low manpower (Caveat: I have not confirmed the latter in 1.09, definitely a problem in earlier versions though).

Had a quick play lastnight. Looks very promising.

The flaws thing takes a lot to figure out, I think it will be a good feature once refined. 

The mouse pan speed of the world map on ultra wide could be faster. 

I'd like the map to be a continuous cylinder, i.e. be able to continously scroll East/West. 

1890 still feel painful to play, but maybe I just don't get how to play this era. 

Well done Devs, keep it up!

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, I'm ok with the idea of not having the final word on my nation diplomacy. I think there is something interesting to experiment not to be the omnipotent ruler of your faction. 
But (there is always a "but") we need a nation management by the AI without bugs and some special actions (with costs) to try to influence or force the actions of our governement. 
Example: possibility to engage foreign forces in peace time to create a diplomatic incident that could start a war (with a cost in unrest/prestige that could cost us our job if our unrest/prestige is too low to try this)  

Edited by Lastreaumont
correcting some mistakes
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JackHammer said:

Had a quick play lastnight. Looks very promising.

The flaws thing takes a lot to figure out, I think it will be a good feature once refined. 

The mouse pan speed of the world map on ultra wide could be faster. 

I'd like the map to be a continuous cylinder, i.e. be able to continously scroll East/West. 

1890 still feel painful to play, but maybe I just don't get how to play this era. 

Well done Devs, keep it up!

I'd like the map to be a continuous cylinder, i.e. be able to continuously scroll East/West. 

• Like 1

Badar Seri Begavan in Bruni is unreachable. The tool-tip displays but it cannot be selected as a destination for ships.

It seems either the 'Southeast Asia" sea or the 'Bruni' labels, or both, are blocking selection.

Same with Abu Dhabi and Dubai, reported as 'Same Port'

Edited by kjg000
add suspected cause

3 hours ago, Lastreaumont said:

As far as I'm concerned, I'm ok with the idea of not having the final word on my nation diplomacy. I think there is something interesting to experiment not to be the omnipotent ruler of your faction. 
But (there is always a "but") we need a nation management by the AI without bugs and some special actions (with costs) to try to influence or force the actions of our governement. 
Example: possibility to engage foreign forces in peace time to create a diplomatic incident that could start a war (with a cost in unrest/prestige that could cost us our job if our unrest/prestige is too low to try this)  

This.  In principle, I am ready to accept indirect diplomacy, this is an interesting new approach.

However, in the current state of the game, I would like to be able to quickly and definitely enter the war with the right country. This will allow us to spend more time testing combat mechanics and reduce the time for throwing the fleet around the map and waiting for random events. Although I didn't have any problems with infinite freez during tuens in this beta, the turns are often really long.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kjg000 said:

The entire post is worth reading but this point in particular is important.

Some have argued that this is Ultimate Admiral not Ultimate Government or whatever and so the player should not have the final word on a nations diplomacy. Fair enough, then we need to delete the research options, delete the ability to design ships, limit the ability to build ships to only those with government approval, stop players from directly controlling ships and so on as these are not the usual duties of an Admiral. We also need to give players the ability to designate patrol routs, choose which ships to detach for specific missions, approve supply expenses etcetera, which are some of the usual duties of an Admiral and their staff. Sounds like a boooooring game to me. Ultimate Accountant anyone?

Obviously the above is nonsense, UA:Dreadnoughts is a game, not a true historical simulation. As such we take on many roles Admirals (more like Commodores), politicians, naval architects etc. Realism in this context is a vague term, certainly relevant, but not as important as game play. Even the Dev's acknowledge this through their design choices.

So yes, we need more agency over the political domain and less inconsistent focus on questionable realism.

I've always thought of it as "Ultimate Chief of Naval Operations" but it doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same

I'm getting a lot more freezing on "update missions" recently, not sure if it started on hotfix 5 or 4.

It seems to get worse over time: from turn 10 - 20 it can eventually recover or I can quit to main screen, but by turn 20 - 30 I have to force quit the program.

edit: I should add that previously I would get freezing on the "building ships" stage but I'm not seeing that any more.

Edited by mikekervin
  • Like 2