Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.09 Feedback (Released)<<<

Nick Thomadis

5 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Why is a ship coming in underweight considered a defect? Is that not a positive?
Speaking of which, why can ships only come off the stocks either as designed or with debuffs, but no buffs?
While it might have been more rare than defects, ships did at times come out better than expected too.

if a ship is lighter then probably something is missing.

Like structure Integrity 

Urgent new update available. Please Restart Steam to get it!

Beta Update 4 (19/10/2022)

- Fixed rotation bug which caused turrets to lose their targets and stop rotating.
- Fixed various bugs of the campaign which could cause errors and stall the turns.
- Fixed bug that made ships to not sink after a battle and enter a never-ending repair cycle.
- Fixed bug that made impossible to bombard enemy ports after a successful Port Strike mission.
- Fixed errors in End Campaign results which prevented to show crew and transports losses.
- Finalized minefield mechanics. Now hits and damage when ship groups pass by minefields in ports or at sea should be consistent.
- Completed the Shipyard upgrades. Minor visual improvements may follow.
- Battle AI adjustments to raise its aggressiveness. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I've just reinstalled the game because I had a campaign breaking bug:

-In 1895 I scrapped 4 of my 8 battleships brcause they were old and i wanted to lower costs. Around that time 1/3 of my fleet was undergoing minor repairs.

-It's 1900. After every battle 3 cursed battleships from 1885 keep appearing at my docks undergoing repairs. Also all my ships from 5 years ago that were undergoing repairs return at that time return to repairs disabling around 20% of my current fleet. It doesnt matter how much I refit them. It doesnt matter how much times I scrap them. It doesnt matter that the battleship class that caused the problem doesn't exist anymore. all I can do is cry as after every battle my ships get stuck at port and my repair costs skyrocket.

-Also the same turret stuck/not traking bug that lots of people are reporting was happening to me.

-Also the shipyard appearance seems really bugged.

I'll report if this reinstall seems to fix something. Also i'd like to ask @Nick Thomadis about all the game folder locations. The savegames and AppData locations, not the ones from Steam because those are easy to find. The reason is to erase everything to try the cleanest reinstall possible if the ghost ship/eternal repairs bug keeps happening.

Edited by Capilla
Minor errors. English is not my mothertonge and i'm sure there will be more... XD

3 minutes ago, Capilla said:

I've just reinstalled the game because I had a campaign breaking bug:

-In 1895 I scrapped 4 of my 8 battleships brcause they were old and i wanted to lower costs. Around that time 1/3 of my fleet was undergoing minor repairs.

-It's 1900. After every battle 3 cursed battleships from 1885 keep appearing at my docks undergoing repairs. Also all my ships from 5 years ago that were undergoing repairs return at that time return to repairs disabling around 20% of my current fleet. It doesnt matter how much I refit them. It doesnt matter how much times I scrap them. It doesnt matter that the battleship class that caused the problem doesn't exist anymore. all I can do is cry as after every battle my ships get stuck at port and my repair costs skyrocket.

-Also the same turret stuck/not traking bug that lots of people are reporting was happening to me.

-Also the shipyard appearance seems really bugged.

I'll report if this reinstall seems to fix something. Also i'd like to ask @Nick Thomadis about all the game folder locations. The savegames and AppData locations, not the ones from Steam because those are easy to find. The reason is to erase everything to try the cleanest reinstall possible if the ghost ship/eternal repairs bug keeps happening.

Please check the latest update for all those fixes. Any remaining issue with scrapping is under review to fix if needed.
You can follow the advices here for what you asked: 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

- Fixed rotation bug which caused turrets to lose their targets and stop rotating.
- Fixed various bugs of the campaign which could cause errors and stall the turns.
- Fixed bug that made ships to not sink after a battle and enter a never-ending repair cycle.
- Fixed bug that made impossible to bombard enemy ports after a successful Port Strike mission.
- Fixed errors in End Campaign results which prevented to show crew and transports losses.
- Finalized minefield mechanics. Now hits and damage when ship groups pass by minefields in ports or at sea should be consistent.
- Completed the Shipyard upgrades. Minor visual improvements may follow.
- Battle AI adjustments to raise its aggressiveness. 

Thanks for the hard work!

Almost all the bugs are from the last major update but you guys are making 1 or 2 updates averyday trying to fix them. You guys must be undergoing a lot of pressure. Don't let some comments discourage your efforts. I myself am a programmer and bug fixing is a long and tedious hell. Keep up with the good work! :) 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Please check the latest update for all those fixes. Any remaining issue with scrapping is under review to fix if needed.
You can follow the advices here for what you asked: 

Thanks! I'll do this right now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

- Technology speed up as per feedback.

Tech research is still way too slow and feels disconnected from the time elapsed. (Proposed solution below) I started an 1890 campaign and have kept cruiser hulls a priority since turn 1 with 100% tech budget. It is now Feb 1896 and I'm only researching 9000t CA, an 1895 tech, so I'm actually behind.

I feel as though there is a disconnect between the time represented by 1 turn and the desired pace of the game. If you as devs don't want us researching things too quickly, and want more turns to elapse for a longer, slower campaign, then turns need to represent 1 or 2 weeks. Additionally, there needs to be a mechanic to keep technology moving along. This issue has been exacerbated by the sudden increase in the number of techs, as everything is now implemented. I'm going to keep playing to see what happens but I suspect I'm going to get to 1940 and still be decades behind in most tech.

Proposed solution: There should be a "common knowledge" mechanic that augments the time to research something based on how many other nations have acquired the tech. The more nations have a technology, the more it becomes "common knowledge" and easier for another nation to copy it. For example, in my current campaign I am researching Krupp Armor I at 2%/month with it as a priority. If one other nation discovers it, then I should be able to research it at 2.5% per month. This would accelerate with say 3 nations being 3.5%, 4 nations 5%, 5 nations 7%, 6 nations 9.5%, 7 nations 12.5%, 8 nations 16%, and if all other major nations acquire it then 20%. This would help represent the spread of technology and the copying of other nation's developments as the technology is implemented and becomes observable. If I don't bother to research torpedo tube mechanisms, well then by 1945, it shouldn't be that hard for me to figure out how to slap 4 of them together in a launcher because my nation would have been observing other nations do it for decades. This would help keep the technology moving along for all nations so the game progresses (no armored cruiser hulls running about in 1939) but still allow players to live out their "alternate history" if they want to push far ahead in a particular tech tree. At the same time, my slow, grueling pace of research in that field also opens the door and allows others to follow me fast, so there is a trade off and penalty if I keep trying to push ahead. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Iuvenalis said:

Proposed solution: There should be a "common knowledge" mechanic that augments the time to research something based on how many other nations have acquired the tech.

I guess you want to say "augments the speed" or "reduces the time" here.

It would be a great and logical idea. The more common ad widespread a technology becomes, it should be easier to research. Maybe not for for the last researched tech of a tree but it should be easier to keep up to a lower tier. For example, if 2 or more (not just one) countries discover the turbines tech, the last steam engines should become easy to research because at this point it should be common and widespread. It also would prevent a broke and lagging AI to keep the pace. My last campaigns allways had 1 or 2 nations that were so f***ed that it was like fighting a 3rd world country. There is a point were sealclubbing stops being funny.

Edited by Capilla
Nice censor. I found it funny.

Bug that fix turn stall, isnt fully fixed. It still freeze, whenever came to "building new ships" it stalls, freeze, if you click with mouse, once every second freeze it crashes. Now i dont know if this is because current campaign i started before this latest patch, but it still doesnt work.

ooook, getting a real odd edge case maybe? Just wiped up a french 1940 BB to test the turrets after the new update, and something quite odd is happening when these quad guns fire at high to max elevation

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

spooky smoke ghosts! when this happens there are no visual shells flying to the target, but if the game calculates a hit, they hit instantly. Along with the smoke ghost flying away, is the associated sound effect of all the shells I'm firing hitting me instead all at once.

These guns are at a -15% barrel length, and you can see in the damage log how effective plunging fire can be with barrels this short from large caliber guns, and their "short" ~25km range. Vet crew and random +3000% range found bonuses do actually allow the larger guns to hit at these very late tech ages. Once i get to under 15km range the guns aren't elevating as high and operate normally.

Edited by Fangoriously

2 minutes ago, Nagato said:

Bug that fix turn stall, isnt fully fixed. It still freeze, whenever came to "building new ships" it stalls, freeze, if you click with mouse, once every second freeze it crashes. Now i dont know if this is because current campaign i started before this latest patch, but it still doesnt work.

Try this, maybe it helps you .

54 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

How can I make a Port Strike mission and bombard the port ?

7 minutes ago, Capilla said:

I guess you want to say "augments the speed" or "reduces the time" here.

It would be a great and logical idea. The more common ad widespread a technology becomes, it should be easier to research. Maybe not for for the last researched tech of a tree but it should be easier to keep up to a lower tier. For example, if 2 or more (not just one) countries discover the turbines tech, the last steam engines should become easy to research because at this point it should be common and widespread. It also would prevent a broke and lagging AI to keep the pace. My last campaigns allways had 1 or 2 nations that were so f***ed that it was like fighting a 3rd world country. There is a point were sealclubbing stops being funny.

It already works this way. Technologies that are already researched by other nations become researched faster.
It would be very helpful if some players posted their technology tree image, in 1910 or 1920 (concerning that they started a 1890 campaign) so we recognize any glaring issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Why is a ship coming in underweight considered a defect? Is that not a positive?
Speaking of which, why can ships only come off the stocks either as designed or with debuffs, but no buffs?
While it might have been more rare than defects, ships did at times come out better than expected too.

The US treaty cruisers up until the New Orleans were about a thousand tons underweight... mostly in the hull, which meant they were extremely top-heavy and had extremely bad roll characteristics.  We were forced to add underwater bulges to counteract the roll which also slowed them down slightly.

1 minute ago, Rucki said:

How can I make a Port Strike mission and bombard the port ?

These mission can happen in two ways:
- Ships from your own ports which have a role giving them enough range to reach nearby enemy ports can succeed to have a Port Strike battle, but also other conditions must be satisfied (recon, tonnage advantage etc.). If you have fewer ships than the enemy, a weaker economy, your fleets will most likely fail to execute such missions.

- With a Task Force, head very near to an enemy port and if you have enough tonnage, compared to the defenders, the mission will trigger. Usually, the AI will attack you before you make it to the port, so it needs a large task force to make it to the enemy ports in order to have a good fighting ability. 

• Thanks 2

How does fuel work and refueling? 

As the US I tried to help Japan against Russia but I can't seem to refuel in Japan or my own bases in Alaska so I have to go all the way back to San Francisco, after fighting battles where I move at 6 knots because of low fuel? 

Kinda confused if this is intended or if I'm doing it wrong or what  

Okay, so this is just maddening.

I fought two battles against the Russians as the Japanese in which two of my battleships took minor damage and completely destroyed the enemy forces.

However, the damaged battleships didn't return to port and aren't under repair, they've just... Disappeared from the fleet roster as though they were sunk. I've tried waiting, and I know they're not at sea, I just lost two battleships for no reason at all.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

It already works this way. Technologies that are already researched by other nations become researched faster.
It would be very helpful if some players posted their technology tree image, in 1910 or 1920 (concerning that they started a 1890 campaign) so we recognize any glaring issue.

@Nick Thomadis I made a whole google spread sheet for that: 

• Like 3

Okay, I've met with an incredible problem that I've never encountered before.

My ships disappeared. I mean, literally. So, here was the battle.

2022-10-20-02-13-40.png

And a list of my ships after the battle.

2022-10-20-02-18-50.png

In fact, the entire task force has disappeared.

Admiral Rozhdestvensky said that It's all "Kamchatka", she ate up my entire fleet!

1592053790-2-jpg-ad50336ac682df75997ee7f

• Like 2

With the help of the remaining ships, I conducted an investigation about "Kamchatka".

Before the battle begins

2022-10-20-02-39-01.png

During the battle, I separated "Metkiy" from the group and left her aside, all the other ships were damaged.

2022-10-20-02-55-28.png

2022-10-20-02-55-50.png

View the fleet list immediately after the battle.

2022-10-20-02-56-24.png

And after one turn

2022-10-20-02-56-47.png

Well, as we can see, the undamaged "Metkiy" returned to port, the rest of the ships were eaten by the "Kamchatka". She's guided by the smell of blood.

Devs, do you not run a few turns on a test campaign before releasing a fix? 🤷‍♂️

How do you acrually establish that you fixed something? I mean yes, ships are not caught in an indefinitve repair cycle now, but they flat out disappear.

Your methods baffle me.

• Sad 1