Game-Labs Forum

'Historical' Submod of J&P Rebalance mod, release thread

adishee

I'd like to report a bug, I think....

So, I finally got around to fighting the Rebels at Antietam on normal difficulty, and I took the chance to make my army as big as possible to kill off as much of the upscaled enemy army as possible.

image.png.96837b3cc9027fabb6d0c3979dad45ce.png

So, I move on to the Fredericksburg Campaign, and decide to fight Iuka, as this is normally an easy battle in the base game. The pre-battle enemy army numbers give me no reason to doubt it will be any different.

image.png.f5cca56064df43206580da317dd89fe9.png

But this time, the enemy army sallies out to confront me. Great, I can destroy them even more easily now! But then... I realize things are not as I believed they were.

image.png.776c3d0ff23886484af9005c856d389c.png

I soon realize I am facing an enemy force 3 times my strength, and rather than attacking, am forced to defend the wood line. All in vain though.

image.thumb.png.4a926524e57c0c6c4a4f8a8fff25bbe6.png

At this rate, I'll be wiped out before the enemy, and opt to leave the field.

I'm understandably taken aback, as I thought I'd be facing a numerically inferior force. The pre-battle screen has never lied to me before. Any idea what happened here?

Edited by Dauntless07

Hi, again thanks for putting a lot of effort and making this mod. I just installed and would like to provide some updates too :

1- the FOG . I really liked the idea of more smoke coming out of your guns and realistically it's probably true. In civil war or Napoleonic wars that might be true but I am just a human player trying to run my divisions from a pc screen! Long story short in the first game I could not see anything in the battle and I kinda did not like the fog instead of dissipating over time growing more exponentially . Please see my first screenshot. 

2- I am using my computer an a TV with a resolution of 3841x1260. I don't know if this is it but the texture became almost 8 bit with fog, Like a game from 90's. I admire nostalgic game and 90's but honestly I was not expecting it. 

Hope you can have a look and I can continue playing this amazing game and mod! Thanks in advance. 

20200705121634_1.jpg

20200705121148_1.jpg

20 hours ago, gimli said:

Hi, again thanks for putting a lot of effort and making this mod. I just installed and would like to provide some updates too :

1- the FOG . I really liked the idea of more smoke coming out of your guns and realistically it's probably true. In civil war or Napoleonic wars that might be true but I am just a human player trying to run my divisions from a pc screen! Long story short in the first game I could not see anything in the battle and I kinda did not like the fog instead of dissipating over time growing more exponentially . Please see my first screenshot. 

2- I am using my computer an a TV with a resolution of 3841x1260. I don't know if this is it but the texture became almost 8 bit with fog, Like a game from 90's. I admire nostalgic game and 90's but honestly I was not expecting it. 

Hope you can have a look and I can continue playing this amazing game and mod! Thanks in advance. 

20200705121634_1.jpg

20200705121148_1.jpg

Hi @gimli. Ok so, this is part of the ongoing literally never ending effort to produce impressive smoke effects that work on all systems. I'll spare you the mumbo-jumbo: as a temp fix, go into my config file (Mod/Rebalance/Historical.csv), go down to the line 'genericTester' which should be 7300 right now, and change that to 5000. If it still is weird, change it to 2500 etc. Don't forget to use Notepad++ if you're on Windows. Let me know if this works.

On 7/5/2020 at 4:10 AM, Dauntless07 said:

I'd like to report a bug, I think....

So, I finally got around to fighting the Rebels at Antietam on normal difficulty, and I took the chance to make my army as big as possible to kill off as much of the upscaled enemy army as possible.

image.png.96837b3cc9027fabb6d0c3979dad45ce.png

So, I move on to the Fredericksburg Campaign, and decide to fight Iuka, as this is normally an easy battle in the base game. The pre-battle enemy army numbers give me no reason to doubt it will be any different.

image.png.f5cca56064df43206580da317dd89fe9.png

But this time, the enemy army sallies out to confront me. Great, I can destroy them even more easily now! But then... I realize things are not as I believed they were.

image.png.776c3d0ff23886484af9005c856d389c.png

I soon realize I am facing an enemy force 3 times my strength, and rather than attacking, am forced to defend the wood line. All in vain though.

At this rate, I'll be wiped out before the enemy, and opt to leave the field.

I'm understandably taken aback, as I thought I'd be facing a numerically inferior force. The pre-battle screen has never lied to me before. Any idea what happened here?

Hi @Dauntless07, sounds like you had an interesting time of it at least. Are you actually playing on Ironman? (Hero status.)

So the numbers. First of all, generally just don't trust the recon numbers in the submod. This is because, I have not touched the logic that produces those numbers at all, but I have completely changed the scaling logic; ergo, they must be wrong. This is something I will eventually get to (file under 'polish'), but for now don't count on their accuracy. Sorry about that.

Second...to be completely honest, I'm not sure why those numbers were so jumped up. As I said, I redid scaling, and I designed scaling so that, when playing as Feds, the CSA would generally not outnumber the player (by too much). My first reaction to your post was that, you brought a Corp that was much larger than the allowed battle size; the enemy AI will scale against whatever Corp(s) you bring to the fight, even if you bring too many to use in that particular battle.

I'll have to re-inspect the scaling algo and look at revisions. Because while the AI infantry outnumbering you so much could be explained, the fact that you also faced 800 cav and 60(!) cannon makes me think that maybe it's not functioning correctly (it is supposed to match what you bring to the fight, and not bring much of what you don't).

Thanks for your feedback. Hope you're still having fun despite the roughness. By now, I've got in pretty much all the mechanics I wanted to build in -- and it's going to be polish for the next year or however long I keep doing this.

5 hours ago, PepsaCola said:

How do you turn off the Ironman mode? It says there's an option for it, but I can't find it in the files or in the game.

Hi @PepsaCola. Go into the game's data folder, then find Mod/Rebalance/Historical.csv. The second-last entry is Ironman, change that value to false and save (with Notepad++ if you're on Windows).

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Edited by adishee

On 7/8/2020 at 12:24 PM, adishee said:

Hi @PepsaCola. Go into the game's data folder, then find Mod/Rebalance/Historical.csv. The second-last entry is Ironman, change that value to false and save (with Notepad++ if you're on Windows).

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Hi Adishee, there seems to be some trouble with the Ironman on / off option. I have set the value to false, so should be able to save & load. However what happens is that everything seems ok and you are able to save as often as you wish through a battle, but when the timer expires and the 'finish' button appears it doesn't work, it's not possible to end the battle? So save and reload, sometimes this gets you the 'end of battle' victory screen and you can continue your game and sometimes it just resets to the start of the battle just completed? Other times when you try to save or exit it is in Ironman mode and allows you to save Ironman. At the moment its not working as Ironman or normal just some weird mix between the two.

11 hours ago, Gazza said:

Hi Adishee, there seems to be some trouble with the Ironman on / off option. I have set the value to false, so should be able to save & load. However what happens is that everything seems ok and you are able to save as often as you wish through a battle, but when the timer expires and the 'finish' button appears it doesn't work, it's not possible to end the battle? So save and reload, sometimes this gets you the 'end of battle' victory screen and you can continue your game and sometimes it just resets to the start of the battle just completed? Other times when you try to save or exit it is in Ironman mode and allows you to save Ironman. At the moment its not working as Ironman or normal just some weird mix between the two.

Hi @Gazza. So we are talking about two different bugs here combining to give you these results. The first is a victory condition bug. I haven't been seeing them in my build lately, so I thought they were gone. You would have to tell me what map you're speaking of, although I don't really know how to fix them anyway.

The second is a bug in Ironman where, sometimes, it still thinks it's in Ironman even though it is set to false. But this is just cosmetic basically, it just displays an Ironman popup but you can still save and load. Eventually will squash that one I assume.

On which map(s) are you having the victory condition bug?

On 7/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, adishee said:

Hi @Gazza. So we are talking about two different bugs here combining to give you these results. The first is a victory condition bug. I haven't been seeing them in my build lately, so I thought they were gone. You would have to tell me what map you're speaking of, although I don't really know how to fix them anyway.

The second is a bug in Ironman where, sometimes, it still thinks it's in Ironman even though it is set to false. But this is just cosmetic basically, it just displays an Ironman popup but you can still save and load. Eventually will squash that one I assume.

On which map(s) are you having the victory condition bug?

Update: Turns out this was a problem with the file editor I was using (or my use of it). This makes sense as it was only me being affected. Historical submod is running fine with Ironman 'false'.

Hi, I don't think it's the victory condition bug.

It's something to do with Ironman. It's not cosmetic, the finish button is disabled when the timer ends and you cannot exit the battle.

I reinstalled UGCW, completed a vanilla test campaign battle that saved, exited and loaded correctly.

I reinstalled the J&P mod, completed a test campaign battle that saved, exited and loaded correctly.

I reinstalled the Historical submod (edited the Historical.txt file to set Ironman 'false'), completed a test campaign battle. Once the timer ended the finish button was disabled. The save file, saved just before the timer expired, reloads, but takes you back to the army camp before the battle has started. As the only way to exit the battle was via the menu there are no other save files available.

It appears that even though the edited Historical.txt file Ironman is set to 'false', there is something else in the background that is not reset to align with 'false'.

It's consistent throughout the game, I've experienced the issue on intermediate and major battles.

As far as I can see, it appears that the Historical submod works with Ironman 'true' but not 'false'.

Edited by Gazza

On 7/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, Gazza said:

Hi, I don't think it's the victory condition bug.

It's something to do with Ironman. It's not cosmetic, the finish button is disabled when the timer ends and you cannot exit the battle.

I reinstalled UGCW, completed a vanilla test campaign battle that saved, exited and loaded correctly.

I reinstalled the J&P mod, completed a test campaign battle that saved, exited and loaded correctly.

I reinstalled the Historical submod (edited the Historical.txt file to set Ironman 'false'), completed a test campaign battle. Once the timer ended the finish button was disabled. The save file, saved just before the timer expired, reloads, but takes you back to the army camp before the battle has started. As the only way to exit the battle was via the menu there are no other save files available.

It appears that even though the edited Historical.txt file Ironman is set to 'false', there is something else in the background that is not reset to align with 'false'.

It's consistent throughout the game, I've experienced the issue on intermediate and major battles.

As far as I can see, it appears that the Historical submod works with Ironman 'true' but not 'false'.

Hi @Gazza. Sorry for late reply, I really don't know what it is. I've encountered times where it will not finish, but I don't think anything so systemic. And nobody else is reporting such things with the current version. Can you send me the savegame?

Hi Adishee,

I hope all is going well for you. 

Just to help you with a few issues some players might be having you might find some of my experiments and experience helpful. 

CSV files on Mac

Mac users can obtain a simple piece of software called "Easy CSV Editor". For a very small fee this allows them to change the CSV files in the mod with much greater ease as the Mac has a number of safety features over CSV files. 

Smoke

I have tried a number of options with smoke and have found that the best way to handle it is to keep smoke switched on but instead go to "Expand Smoke" in the historic mod and change it from its current number to 0. This will stop the entire board filling with smoke and if my old Mac Mini can handle it, I am sure many other machines will too. This allows for a small amount of drifting smoke for the firing plumes. It still looks rather nice and it does drift across the battlefield, but will not distract game play like the smoke demonstrated by Gimli. 

Mod Experience

So far I have tried it on BG and MG to Shiloh and really like the feel and pace of the mod. The AI appears much better than normal and appears to probe and interdict better. I actually lost both of my supply wagons at the 1st Bull Run in BG and this was a first, so it was fabulous to witness. 

Timing has changed too and this gives battles a very different feel. By the time I reached Shiloh I found that my entire playing style had changed. 

I also found that in the right situation my smoothbores were superior to my rifles because they appear to have much more punch against units in woods and buildings now, so this was very welcomed surprise as I use them for my assault regiments. Likewise I found opposing regiments, probably equipped with precisions muskets too, so much harder to combat with standard 65 or 60 melee rifles. Again this was a welcome surprise. 

For the first time ever, I even faced problems with running out of troops. Granted I never opted for political in a career choice, but even on Legendary this has never been an issue for me before. So I really like the way the challenges tend to conceal themselves from the players and only slowly creep up over time. This makes the career decisions all the more important.   

Really like some of the new perks, specially for skirmishers, but I am not too sure everything works quite right just yet, especially spotting modifiers. However you will know more about this as I can only go on observation and experience. For, instance as Confederate, the 1st Bull Run I placed my skirmish unit that had the 100% probe bonus to guard the ford. They could not spot three batteries firing at them at close range just across the river. It has often been a spotting weak point in the game, but I thought the bonus might be enough to give them some better view. The ragtag 30 survivors from a 150 skirmish company stood their ground well, but if they were alive I am sure they would welcome me sharing this with you. 

I do think you have done the right thing by stopping units from recruiting new experienced troops even if some players might not understand that regiments were rarely reinforced. It is the way I will continue to play even if you change it to meet the requests of other players as it really evens the game up against the AI. 

Issues for Consideration

I never like criticising other people especially when they offer things for others for no personal reward. I prefer to encourage positive behaviour instead, but I offer two following things for your consideration. 

Brigades could have eight infantry regiments even if the set standard was four plus attached support. I do not know how or if organisation changes within your mod as I have not been able to take it as high as ten, but it might be worth considering raising the number if this is not the case. 

As you are not doubt aware the fallen in the field appear to be in vanilla scale. It is just cosmetic, but if it is possible to alter this it will offer your mod a more polished visual appearance.  

As always thanks for all your hard work. Those of us that cannot mod, even if we can modify rulesets, are thankful for those that mod and share their work for others to enjoy. It really is quite an amazing mod and it is a joy to play even though it is still in beta. 

Earthane 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Earthane said:

Hi Adishee,

I hope all is going well for you. 

Just to help you with a few issues some players might be having you might find some of my experiments and experience helpful. 

CSV files on Mac

Mac users can obtain a simple piece of software called "Easy CSV Editor". For a very small fee this allows them to change the CSV files in the mod with much greater ease as the Mac has a number of safety features over CSV files. 

Smoke

I have tried a number of options with smoke and have found that the best way to handle it is to keep smoke switched on but instead go to "Expand Smoke" in the historic mod and change it from its current number to 0. This will stop the entire board filling with smoke and if my old Mac Mini can handle it, I am sure many other machines will too. This allows for a small amount of drifting smoke for the firing plumes. It still looks rather nice and it does drift across the battlefield, but will not distract game play like the smoke demonstrated by Gimli. 

Mod Experience

So far I have tried it on BG and MG to Shiloh and really like the feel and pace of the mod. The AI appears much better than normal and appears to probe and interdict better. I actually lost both of my supply wagons at the 1st Bull Run in BG and this was a first, so it was fabulous to witness. 

Timing has changed too and this gives battles a very different feel. By the time I reached Shiloh I found that my entire playing style had changed. 

I also found that in the right situation my smoothbores were superior to my rifles because they appear to have much more punch against units in woods and buildings now, so this was very welcomed surprise as I use them for my assault regiments. Likewise I found opposing regiments, probably equipped with precisions muskets too, so much harder to combat with standard 65 or 60 melee rifles. Again this was a welcome surprise. 

For the first time ever, I even faced problems with running out of troops. Granted I never opted for political in a career choice, but even on Legendary this has never been an issue for me before. So I really like the way the challenges tend to conceal themselves from the players and only slowly creep up over time. This makes the career decisions all the more important.   

Really like some of the new perks, specially for skirmishers, but I am not too sure everything works quite right just yet, especially spotting modifiers. However you will know more about this as I can only go on observation and experience. For, instance as Confederate, the 1st Bull Run I placed my skirmish unit that had the 100% probe bonus to guard the ford. They could not spot three batteries firing at them at close range just across the river. It has often been a spotting weak point in the game, but I thought the bonus might be enough to give them some better view. The ragtag 30 survivors from a 150 skirmish company stood their ground well, but if they were alive I am sure they would welcome me sharing this with you. 

I do think you have done the right thing by stopping units from recruiting new experienced troops even if some players might not understand that regiments were rarely reinforced. It is the way I will continue to play even if you change it to meet the requests of other players as it really evens the game up against the AI. 

Issues for Consideration

I never like criticising other people especially when they offer things for others for no personal reward. I prefer to encourage positive behaviour instead, but I offer two following things for your consideration. 

Brigades could have eight infantry regiments even if the set standard was four plus attached support. I do not know how or if organisation changes within your mod as I have not been able to take it as high as ten, but it might be worth considering raising the number if this is not the case. 

As you are not doubt aware the fallen in the field appear to be in vanilla scale. It is just cosmetic, but if it is possible to alter this it will offer your mod a more polished visual appearance.  

As always thanks for all your hard work. Those of us that cannot mod, even if we can modify rulesets, are thankful for those that mod and share their work for others to enjoy. It really is quite an amazing mod and it is a joy to play even though it is still in beta. 

Earthane 

Hi @Earthane, thanks a lot for your feedback. I'll answer step by step.

- Smoke: I'm finding success with the 'genericTester' setting of 5000, which influences how long the smoke stays around (it's a stupidly complicated system, just don't ask). You might try and see if that works for lots of smoke but much more stable. I would argue you want the smoke in the future, because I've recently figured out how to have dynamic smoke (changes direction every battle and during the battle).

- Better AI: Other people have said this too, but I have done absolutely nothing to change the core behavior of the AI except for cannon targeting. I guess the existing AI just maps onto my changes in a way that some people -- including me -- like better. I'll leave more informed parties (Panda/Jonny) to speculate as to why.

- Spotting: This is one of the core mechanics, which is that units suffer huge spotting (and speed) penalties unless a general is nearby. If you try trotting a general over to those troops, they will see very far. Alternatively, you can invest in the AO career perk to diminish the spotting and speed penalties and allow more independent operation of individual units. (AO also diminishes the damaging effects to efficiency that infantry units suffer when they get bunched in with regiments from a different brigade.) Alternatively again, you can invest in Recon and move your general to high ground: the general benefits from extra Recon points, and there is a mechanic that he can see further from higher ground (in emulation of the 'Eye' recon points littered on the map, which of course we cannot add ourselves). The later option is, I find, better for an artillery-centered playstyle.

- Brigade sizes: My limit of three regiments in a brigade is inevitably a compromise, even though it's the 'historical mod'. Yes, indeed many more regiments than three were stuffed into brigades. But the regiment limit I have reflects more a healthy size of a full brigade at fighting (if not regulation) strength, than the quantity of actual -- and diminished -- regiments contained in a typical CW brigade. I would love to have brigades with eight or ten tiny regiments packed into them, with an option to fuse them all into one unit or break them down into smaller ones. But obviously that's not possible. Personally, I have taken to combining reduced regiments and naming them accordingly (12.NY/13.PA/20.MA). Another reason for the limit of three is to encourage the player to make aggressive use of brigades as tactical groups, not too differently than in the base game. My intent, and how I play it is to select an entire brigade from the menu (hence the naming for easier recognition) rather than clusters of regiments. This would be harder if the brigades were bigger; they would become more like the divisions of the base game. A final reason is that, this way more officers are required to make your army function, which adds another notch of difficulty in management.

- Fallen sprites: Somehow I didn't notice that. To my eye they looked correct-ish. Will have another look and make them smaller if I agree with you.

Thanks again for your input; please don't ever hesitate to give (constructive) criticism, I have thick skin. Very glad you're enjoying the mod. 

Hi Adishee,

Thank you for the fast response and for covering some issues point by point. It all makes sense in relationship to what you are seeking to achieve, so it is much appreciated.  

Glad that some of the feedback has helped you in some small way. 

Keep up the good work.

Earthane

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, Keith68 said:

Hi Adshee, I'm giving the mod another try this morning and it's come on a lot since I first tried it.  It's looking very good 👌.  However there is still something wrong with Potomac Fort on a CSA game.  I've started a new game 3 times and each time have over run the fort, captured or killed the union infantry and skirmishers, and have the artillery routing and surrounded between the sea and the fort, and just as I am about to kill or capture them either one or both magically disappear, and I can't win the battle.

@Keith68 I'm honestly at a loss. I specifically fixed this bug (thanks to Panda) in the most recent version. Or I thought so. Before I start trying to figure out why it's still happening: are you positive you're updated to 127 version?

Also, did you try to edit Historical.csv? We just had an issue where another player tried to edit the file but was using an editor that, perhaps, produced some weird errors in the game. Did you edit this file?

Edited by adishee

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, great mod! question about brigade sizes and lack of divisions

could you raise the regimental max higher, say 1500, but have it locked to career points in AO? this could simulate the growing organization of armies, as well as the increased amalgamation of battered regiments that would fight almost at battalions of the brigade? (on that note, if I manually edit the unit sizes in configfile, will that transfer over to campaign?)

Is there a way to allow all divisions to participate in a battle deployment? With the game set up to consider max brigades, it seems that in some battles I cannot get my entire army into the field with brigades taking the place of divisions. 

Lastly, is there a way to drastically shrink the size of a brigade/regiment(...brigagiment?) so that it reflects the frontage of between 100-800 yards? with units smaller than 500, they should not take up the same length of larger formations. 

Keep it up, I love the changes you've made, really the perfect adjustments to make the game realistic! 

Hi @Admiral Sudsy. Thanks for the feedback.

-- The regimental size limit of 1025 infantry is pretty deeply integrated into the mod at this point, so I don't think I'll be changing it. Also, it is not changeable in the config -- at least not cleanly, as some of that is hardcoded into the asset file's binary rather than the game code. You can try changing it but I don't even know what it'd do at this point. I don't think it would do anything actually. This is a touchy issue but I had to just go with a number that made sense at some point.

-- I'm not sure what you mean that you cannot get your whole army onto the field. Smaller battles have limits of course -- which I have not changed although I'm open to it in future -- but for the larger levels you shouldn't have any problems getting your whole army into the battle?

-- 100-800 yards? That's a pretty large range. The frontage of regiments is something I messed with for a while. For my part, I prefer to have the lines as long as possible; I think it's a bit more authentic, actually, to have a two-rank firing line, and a full regiment is already in violation of that aesthetic. Smaller formations can actually depict that visual profile better, so idk why I would change that -- this being the historical submod and all. I wish I could break regiments down to the battalion level, but the game is way not set up for that.

Glad you're liking it.

Edited by adishee

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, first of all the mod seems incredible to me, but I have a few questions regarding the game:
1. What changes with the campaign difficulty in the mod?
2. The abilities of the generals: this is something that I do not know from the vanilla, the abilities of the generals are passive (they influence the units in their area) or are they active (they influence all)?
3. I do not know if this was done on purpose, although it was fun, with the JP almost there, but arriving at the 2nd of Bull Run with CSA, my 10,000 men, well armed, truly faced the entire Virginia Army of the North, I would say there were more, and they swept me. Is this unexpected escalation normal?
4. I am aware that this is not a Total War, but I would like to know, is there any kind of bonus or penalty for height in combat (beyond the ability to hide or see further)? And finally in that same line, does the height and the terrain affect the ranges of the weapons?
That's it, good job with the mod.

I’ve just finished a MG Union campaign with the historical mod [1.27/1.28], I have to say it’s the most fun I’ve had with UGCW in a very long while. I like the way it looks and plays, it made me rethink my strategies and battle tactics. The days of straight victories through a MG campaign are over! Had many, many desperate battles, often they were right on a knife edge or went down to the wire, not at all comfortable!

Lost four battles: Cramptons Gap, Siege of Suffolk, Supply Raid & Second Winchester

Drew three battles: Parker's Crossroads, Chickamagua & Harrison's Creek

Here are some of my observations / thoughts:

1. USA unable to add recruits to existing regiments: Good feature.

2. One of your objectives was to reduce the excessive casualties. Campaign losses were 767k, pretty close to the historical total of 750k (I think this is the latest accepted estimate).

3. Did not get any of my USA units up to 3 stars? The Iron Brigade stood alone.

4. Spent virtually all of my reputation points on recruits?

5. USA was still fitted out with quite basic weapons at the end of the campaign? Never really had enough cash or spare reputation points to upgrade? Best equipment I had was captured.

6. This campaign as the USA did not see men or materiel advantages.

7. LOS limitations: Sometimes quite frustrating, I understand that you’ve used them to set difficulty, but counter‑intuitive when you can’t spot units right out in the open. Maybe back it off a little for MG?

8. Movement speed: Again, I understand that you’ve used this to set difficulty, but counter‑intuitive when charging CSA infantry catches my mounted cavalry, across open ground with a head start. Maybe back it off a little for MG?

9. CSA Forrest’s cavalry / skirmishers (in general?): Maybe too overpowered? They’re super deadly! e.g. Parker's Crossroads & Chickamagua (you’re working in the south, return up north, where have those units gone? Ah, those deadly invisible skirmishers again).

10. Skirmisher brigade size: Capacity grows through the campaign, 1k seems too big to me, Maybe limit size to 50% of infantry regiment size?

11. Nansemond River: Are the USA gunboats overpowered? The battle was very one sided once they appeared.

12. Supply Raid: Imbalanced playing as USA? USA has 3k troops vs CSA’s 13k. Is this imbalance a result of the 250 cavalry limit in the mod?

13. Chain Charging: Lost Cramptons Gap, Second Winchester & Siege of Suffolk to this. CSA infantry just chain charged me off the map as soon as it spotted my units. Tried dozens of times with different strategies, unit mixes etc. Couldn’t even get established on the map to fight. In the end I just retreated of these maps without fighting to minimise campaign losses.

1. Did manage one draw of Siege of Suffolk, but with losses of 10k from corp of 12k, unsustainable.

2. Cold Harbour – day 1: Same thing happened here, just got chain charged off the map time and time again. I only managed to continue the battle (campaign) by using cavalry to draw CSA off to the edges of the map and then dashing in to take the victory point just before the timer ran out. I don’t think this is how this day’s battle should play out given the parity in numbers and all of the USA breastworks? I wonder if the upgraded stats of forts will assist with this (assuming breastworks have also been improved?).

1. Multi day battles repositioning: I’m guessing this is unfixable? By the end of the first day, yes, held them off, good defensive positions established at last, wake up the next day, whoa, what did my units do overnight!

2. Cold Harbour: Last day ends too early on timer? Both of the previous days fighting took place late afternoon through evening, nice early start on the final day, plenty of time, what! The battle timer runs out at lunchtime?

3. Did feel that I was up against the timer for loads of battles. Pace of mod is great, maybe extend some of the battle times?

Reviewing this before posting I thought it could be interpreted as sour grapes over those lost / drawn battles, it’s not. They were mentioned because they were the anomalies of the bunch, no other reason. Great mod!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick follow-up on my July 4th post, I tried something drastic today. I disbanded my entire army, except my 2 star brigades, and... scaling went way down. I don't think the game is supposed to function this way, correct me if I'm wrong, since I can't actually bring my entire army to minor battles: not even close.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:10 PM, Dauntless07 said:

before

iuka.png

Edited by Dauntless07

12 hours ago, Dauntless07 said:

Quick follow-up on my July 4th post, I tried something drastic today. I disbanded my entire army, except my 2 star brigades, and... scaling went way down. I don't think the game is supposed to function this way, correct me if I'm wrong, since I can't actually bring my entire army to minor battles: not even close.

iuka.png

Hi @Dauntless07

That's certainly interesting, I'm not sure why that happened. But first of all, you know that I designed a whole new scaling system based on your July complaint, right? :p Have you tried it? It generally works better.

Assuming you're using that one ... I'm still not sure why that happened. You should at least get as many enemy troops as the base mod gives, I assume it's more than that. 

Come into the discord if you want the running dev versions, I've recently done more edits to scaling and splitting and some other things that really change the numbers of the game. The in-work 1.28 version is I would say radically different from the 1.27 release.

7 hours ago, adishee said:

Hi @Dauntless07

That's certainly interesting, I'm not sure why that happened. But first of all, you know that I designed a whole new scaling system based on your July complaint, right? 😛 Have you tried it? It generally works better.

No, I haven’t tried the new algorithm. I keep my eye on this this thread for the official update: didn’t even occur to me to ask for the unofficial one. I just had the idea out of the blue, found the result interesting, and shared it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Adishee,

Impressive work! I have played older versions of your mod without problems but when I try to install last version (Submod v1.3 release) the game freezes on starting screen.

I made a clean installation of the game (steam version) the copy the files into the zip to "Ultimate General Civil War_Data" folder.

Did I miss something?

PD: Solved. It didn't freezed. It just took a lot more time to load than vainilla

PD: It was only the first time it loaded. Now it loads in the same time as usually

Edited by Rookie Captain
Solved
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, Rookie Captain said:

Hi Adishee,

Impressive work! I have played older versions of your mod without problems but when I try to install last version (Submod v1.3 release) the game freezes on starting screen.

I made a clean installation of the game (steam version) the copy the files into the zip to "Ultimate General Civil War_Data" folder.

Did I miss something?

PD: Solved. It didn't freezed. It just took a lot more time to load than vainilla

Let me know if you hit any new problems!