Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

'Historical' Submod of J&P Rebalance mod, release thread


adishee
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, adishee said:

Oh no, @CajunNavy, it got you too. This issue was fixed in the previous patch. Please upgrade to the latest version and replay the battle. If that doesn't work, you might have to demote that Corps commander to a brigade commander because once a commander is bugged, he will always be bugged.

Hey guys, I need some help.  I now have two Corps screens blacked out.  I have replaced Corps commanders several time.  No joy.

I noticed something about my version of the game.  Before I downloaded I the latest version I had J&PV 1.26.1.  After the update my version is J&PV 1.25.3T12.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  I have had two campaigns stopped.  Bummer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, pandakraut said:

Do you have a historical submod folder under /Mod/Rebalance after unzipping? Full default path below.

\historical submod

Pandakraut, I do not have that path.  I can play the game  until I get the blank screen, but the path I have is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance.  I have been unzipping the file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data.  Is that where I am making an error?

I love the game but I can't get it to work.  Help please!

Stay well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CajunNavy said:

Pandakraut, I do not have that path.  I can play the game  until I get the blank screen, but the path I have is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance.  I have been unzipping the file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data.  Is that where I am making an error?

This is correct. The extra folder I was referencing was from an older version. I don't know what's going on with the blank corps screens, will have to wait on Adishee's assistance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@pandakraut and @adishee, would you be so kind and clear up something for me. I was under the impression that the submod from adishee did not need your base mod. Is that true or did I miss understood? If your mod is necessary, is there a specific order to install? I would like to know since I have not install your mod on this current playthrough.

I will appreciate your thoughts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pandakraut said:

This is correct. The extra folder I was referencing was from an older version. I don't know what's going on with the blank corps screens, will have to wait on Adishee's assistance.

Thanks man, you are always so helpful.  I am hoping  I have it right this time.  I'm gonna try one more time... 😉

By the way, the J&P mod makes this game so much better.  Thanks for your hard work.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @CajunNavy, sorry you're still having problems. I know how frustrating it is to run through a long battle and end up with a blank corps.

If you have updated to the latest version from the beginning of a campaign, I don't see why it would be happening anymore. The bug comes up with corps commanders were being 'painted' with faulty data during battles, and the camp interface subsequently could not recognize them and loaded the blank corps. So if any of those commanders were painted with bad data, even after patching they would still have bad data.

So you would either need to start a new campaign or use commanders who haven't been corps commanders yet. This is the extent to which I understood and fixed the bug. So I guess, let us know how the new campaign goes with 1.2.3 installed from the start.

 

To answer the questions: no you don't need J&P first to play the submod, I've reproduced all those files in my submod even if many of them are exactly the same. And the 1.25.3T12 was the version of J&P I last migrated to; from there I've manually added features from new J&P updates, because my submod got way too complex to rebuild it every few months.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, i64man said:

@adishee ok thanks,,,, I thought that I might need his newest version of the his mod..... finished 2nd bull run, no problem... got to the next small battle b4 Antietam, and got my ass kicked

I actually think I've ruined my campaign by not investing enough in training. And I dumbly didn't save after Malvern to put the credits into training, which I think is the only way I can get through it.

 

I don't actually think my scaling algo is working correctly, taking a look at it.

Edited by adishee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might want to check your Army Organization points to increase the number of bdes available. And if you are looking at the scaling, I think you should check the battles in between each major battles. I think that is where the is some issue. All the in between battles after Shiloh are getting progressively difficult. And what I meant is on the number of enemy units

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, adishee said:

Hey @CajunNavy, sorry you're still having problems. I know how frustrating it is to run through a long battle and end up with a blank corps.

If you have updated to the latest version from the beginning of a campaign, I don't see why it would be happening anymore. The bug comes up with corps commanders were being 'painted' with faulty data during battles, and the camp interface subsequently could not recognize them and loaded the blank corps. So if any of those commanders were painted with bad data, even after patching they would still have bad data.

So you would either need to start a new campaign or use commanders who haven't been corps commanders yet. This is the extent to which I understood and fixed the bug. So I guess, let us know how the new campaign goes with 1.2.3 installed from the start.

 

To answer the questions: no you don't need J&P first to play the submod, I've reproduced all those files in my submod even if many of them are exactly the same. And the 1.25.3T12 was the version of J&P I last migrated to; from there I've manually added features from new J&P updates, because my submod got way too complex to rebuild it every few months.

Thanks adishee, I greatly appreciate the help.  I'm starting again.  I love the mod. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CajunNavy said:

Thanks adishee, I greatly appreciate the help.  I'm starting again.  I love the mod. 😁

You're very welcome, please let us know if you find any more bugs as it's not got much playtesting.

 

@i64man Finally beat it, not sure if I can bear the cost in men though. Some classic Ultimate General action...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, i64man said:

Not bad .... good job

The way I managed it was to take my six heaviest batteries, and pull my remaining six regiments back to the woods south of the flag, and the copse of woods just east of it. That way I would have artillery support from the 2x James and 24pdr that benefit from close fire, plus two 20pdrs and a siege gun. Whenever the enemy infantry charged, I would shell whomever was charging with as much firepower as I could manage, so that when they impacted my lines they could deal little damage because of low morale (AI was mostly three-star inf), and thus I was able to survive. I had to counter-charge the flag, after which one of my regiments was decimated from being out of position and with enemy sharpshooters sniping from the south woods after I was pushed back to the farmhouse. Managed to just hang on with enough units around the flag. Really intense match, a lot of fun to finally get through it.

Edited by adishee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you can see the AI suffered hardly any casualties to their artillery, as I could not spare any counter-battery fire, and my 24pdr team was pretty much wiped out. 

It's matched like that where I really wish games were recorded automatically a la Starcraft II or whatever else.

Edited by adishee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@adishee .... good morning. Like the phrase says, "Houston we have a problem".... As I mentioned to you yesterday, the major battles are not an issue, the in between battles, however they are. Bellow are 4x screenshots, the 2 battle results and the 2 subsequence camp screens. These battles are the 2 battles before Antietam. Currently I have 3 corps with 7x divisions each, a total of 22 brigades per corps. On my first corps, I have replaced my character after Gaines Mills battle, so my first corps was an AI created character and my character is a 2star general on the first division. Most of the units on my first corps are 2 stars.

I like what you have done to an excellent game and an even better mod, but although I believe on missions to be a challenge, the small battles are getting more difficult and it seems like there are more units available to the small battles than the large battles. I have played the vanilla game as well as the game with the rebalance mod, both for the union and the confederates, and I never seen this.

I sincerily hope you can address the game issue.

Cramptoms Gap results 1st corps.jpg

Army Camp after Cramptons Gap.jpg

South Mountain results 2nd corps.jpg

Army Camp after South Mountain.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@i64man I was just going to post about a discovery I made.

 

So I've been investigating the scaling issues, and I think I've figured out why the small battles become so ridiculous.

The scaling mechanism I created is supposed to match the AI to what units you brought to the battle, generally, by type (seeded off of what the AI was going to bring to the battle by default). But the way it works, I think, is that the game scans YOUR ENTIRE CORPS that you brought to the battle and matches itself against that. That means, even the units you are not deploying!

For example, if you have 20 units in the corps you selected, but only 9 can deploy, the AI will actually match itself against all 20 units -- not the 9 you end up deploying.

I've been testing it this morning and it seems this is what's going on. I would ask you to just go back to one of those small battles, and try filling the corps you bring with only enough units to deploy, and see if it still scales to a ridiculous degree. Other than that, I've slightly adjust the internal mechanism a bit more to try and make it lower on my development version.

 

On the other issue, the missing corps after battles, can you confirm that Barry Tannatt was not active at all before you patched your version? Like, not even existing? Because if you ever deployed him as a commander, he is definitely tainted and cannot be used. Can you send me your save file so I can troubleshoot it?

Edited by adishee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because of the problems, I deleted the current missions and my save game is right before 2nd Bull Run. I will do the bull run again and try what you suggest since the two battle above come right after the 2BR. As for the corp commander, he was my first division commander at the start of the game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, i64man said:

Because of the problems, I deleted the current missions and my save game is right before 2nd Bull Run. I will do the bull run again and try what you suggest since the two battle above come right after the 2BR. As for the corp commander, he was my first division commander at the start of the game

Alright, yeah give that a try, it is working for me. Also, try using a completely new corps commander (commission a new one from the academy) and see if you get the disappearing corps. I think that you shouldn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, adishee said:

The scaling mechanism I created is supposed to match the AI to what units you brought to the battle, generally, by type (seeded off of what the AI was going to bring to the battle by default). But the way it works, I think, is that the game scans YOUR ENTIRE CORPS that you brought to the battle and matches itself against that. That means, even the units you are not deploying!

For example, if you have 20 units in the corps you selected, but only 9 can deploy, the AI will actually match itself against all 20 units -- not the 9 you end up deploying.

Every battle compares against all units currently in your army. Summary is available in this post: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Every battle compares against all units currently in your army. Summary is available in this post: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

 

But my scaling algo overrides the vanilla size scaling, and replaces it with split scaling. If the AI's only scaling mechanism is by unit sizes and not quantity of discrete units, I'm not sure if that is coming into play; if it is also scaling more discrete units it will definitely be affecting my scaling as it would give a higher chance to split just by virtue of there being more chances to split. I used the List<BattleUnit> units list to construct the scaling, does that include all units on both sides?

Edited by adishee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have noted a very noticeable difference when I only bring the allotted amount of units for each battle, rather than having a stacked corps that I can't utilize during the battle. So my feeling is that List<BattleUnit> is only scanning the units brought to/generated for each battle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...