Game-Labs Forum

How many balls do you posses

Thonys

Realism when it fits 'me', not realism to fit all.

I get it 🙂

Tavern talk, drunk talk.

* I once knew this lass, in a tavern back in the ol' country, her breasts as wondrous as two thirty two pounder shot; and then you'd say, there' goes a broadside and all the crew would jeer *

• Like 2

So where do you stop at realism when designing a game? Should we play the game in real time and take days to sail across the Caribbean? Should we have to load up food and water before we leave port? Does the food spoil on the journey? When we get killed in battle should we have to restart as a new character?

You could choose any one of a million realistic things to complain about, but at the end of the day it is a game and certain things can be overlooked to make gameplay more enjoyable after all it is an escape from real life and not real life itself.

If the OP was stating that having limited ammunition was a mechanic that would bring another dimension to gameplay and enhance the game, then I could possibly agree, but to say it should be in the game for sake of reality is a poor reason. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Snoopy said:

HMS Victory: 100+ tonnes of ammo. How many times does a 32 pound, a 24 pound and a 12 pound ball fit?

A pound (unit symbol is lb) is a unit of mass. A 32lb cannon ball has a mass of about 14.5kg. 

The NA Victory has a cannon broadside weight of 1296lb (see netlify), this is around 588kg, or 0.588 Tonne.

So, if the Victory carries 100Tonne of ball it could fire up to 170 broadsides before all 100Tonne has gone. However, before 170 broadsides have been fired either you, or your opponent, has usually sunk.

If your 100+ tonne figure is correct , I reckon the game is fine for at least one 90 minute battle, no-one fires broadsides continuously. No need for rationing shot in my opinion; unless you want a battle to last 14 hours!

Buster (gonna lie down now). 

PS. If anyone wants to rebut the above for my non-inclusion of chain, double shot, chasers or carronades, please see refer to the section on Naval Action for the anally attentive.

• Like 6

Aai..well at least you all have 2 balls to talk about it in the "pirate dungen "

so have all 2 bottles of rum on my expense in our next meeting in the tavern... AArgh

ps. i am not going to pay for having fun with the laidies that's on your own expense :) 

Edited by Thonys