Game-Labs Forum

Cosmetic: Would love to see little sailors on our ships!

coll912

Just a small request, but would LOVE to see little sailors moving around the ship, manning the guns, observing from the towers etc. etc.  

It was a little neat thing to look at in Battlestations: Midway & Pacific. Being in the midst of battle and seeing sailors on your ship wandering and doing routine animations 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, VonVolks said:

men are pointless as they are inside the ships mainly....

Seeing great sinking and damage animations would be great though

Ah yes good point, I agree, better not to waste resources on crew animations but spend resources on sinking animations such as ship rollover, ship breakup (if possible), detonation and bow/stern sinking.  

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Ah yes good point, I agree, better not to waste resources on crew animations but spend resources on sinking animations such as ship rollover, ship breakup (if possible), detonation and bow/stern sinking.  

Nice to see there are  other people who like sinking ships, i spent  hours of watching them keel over or break apart in games. Hope they add it to this game, should not be  so hard as the damage models are quite advanced.

• 2 weeks later...

One game which goes to town on sinking animation is Atlantic Fleet. You can see the ship under water and hear the horrendous tearing as the ship is wrenched apart. 

Adding under water explosions and ships splitting would take this further. 

Adding crew in the water or drowning may be a bit much for some, perhaps something that can be deselected in the graphics options menu? 

Crew running around on deck is a nice touch, but battlestations has them calmly strolling on deck during engagements!

• 6 months later...

Atlantic Fleet also had ammo detonations, which were SPECTACULAR to watch - first a jet of sparks twenty meters long each shot out of whichever magazine you'd hit, then a pure white ball of fire would blossom out of the magazine, its edges slowly turning grey, then black as it spread and enveloped the entire ship as debris rained everywhere.

When the smoke finally cleared, all you'd see would be an oil slick slowly burning.

I remember personal tales from sailors who were at Pearl Harbor recall how the U.S. battleships hit by torpedoes would often

"...lift out of the water as though some giant had placed a hand under their keels and heaved upwards, sometimes splitting the ship down the middle..."
*NOT AN ACTUAL QUOTE - just a approximation of a collection of accounts in books.

At least maybe the devs could add a little levitation to a ship, especially light ships like TB's, where they lift a few feet out of the water with a torpedo hit.

I don't think the points about men on being on decks of the ships are completely true, I mean, naturally, large chunk of the crew has it's battlestations inside of the vessel. But there are still men manning deck guns, AA guns, firefighters, messengers running across the ship in the case of telephone lines being broken, artillery spotters, torpedo spotters, damage control crews, etc. It would be really nice to see just some crew models, to indicate that it is indeed manned by men and not ghost ships, like in UA: Age of Sails.

• Like 1

Of course there were a lot of crewman on the deck during battle (in the roles Galis mentioned) but altrough this I wouldn't like the crew to be physically present on the ship. 

Because if they would be physically present they would probably act the same in all situations (like in sh5 for example).  And it would be really weird to see crewman calmly standing on the deck that is partially submerged and on fire.

• 3 weeks later...