Game-Labs Forum

On 2/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, Faolind said:

I want you to take a moment and look at the hundreds of variables already present in the designer, from torpedo propulsion to armor scheme and type, engine, efficiency of ventilation, weight of shell, load of shell, propulsion of shell, hull bottom, torpedo belt, bulkhead type and number, range, fuel type, gun number, placement, and turret design, armor of individual elements...

And you go ahead and tell me whether an increase in complexity is going to make the game sell more. Because in the end, the game has to sell. Not just to you and your friends- it has to sell enough to pay these people the wages they need to earn to feed themselves and their families. Any work they put into it has to be justified firstly against this reality.

Is the work required to redesign the build system from scratch worth it in terms of sales numbers versus time and money spent? Probably not.

It may be worth it to tweak the UI of the builder, or to add more assets to it, or to tweak the system as-is.

I don't know what you mean by "People like me," but I'm an indie game designer myself. It's why I'm thinking about it in these terms. Honestly, its like you want the business to fail, acting this way. This isn't Creative Assembly or CDPR. They don't have the resources to start over on something if they screwed up. They also didn't screw up- The game needs to be able to be played by a wide audience. This isn't a one man low budget programming build like RTW. It's a full game and it needs to sell like one. The number of people not already on this forum that would buy the game this forum keeps proposing is slim.

Lastly- a snap together model kit is exactly what was advertised in the early videos, and there are other people on this forum complaining this isn't snap-together enough for them. It wasn't advertised like say, Robot Arena 2, with the intricate placing of internal parts. That was never an option.

Let us be honest.  This game isn’t selling to anyone but the hardcore naval fans to begin with.  That is your audience.

The designer doesn’t need to be more complicated by a great degree but when you play a campaign it needs to be grounded in reality.  The outputs aren’t grounded in reality at this point.

I have supported several of this companies games.  I paid for this one too.  I defended most of their choices to balance UG Civil War so I think they are smart people.  But if you are going to sell me a UK vs Germany 1900-1918 era campaign which it sounds like they will the designer can’t be spitting out 33 knot battlecruisers in 1912.

And many of the tweaks asked for aren’t going to necessitate scrapping the whole thing.  It’s about getting their interactions correct.  A huge percentage of the designer is just percentage modifiers after all.

two sugestions

first a point about fore/ aft inbanance.

as we cant move around the internals as real designers could.
then we could instead create a "acceptable  inbanance" flr each hull.
This is the inbanance of armour and weponry that can be handled with moving things around inside the ship
and it is only when that number is maxed out that the "real inbanance starts.

you cound even apply some small penalties in cost/weight  for the internal inbalance (representing more complex piping ect) 

second a point about barbettes.   cant we incorperate the whole system in the guns placement.  so after you have selected gyn and number of barrels, you then can select the apropriate barbette (diferent heights ect)
this way you get all the weight/cost   info in  one place.  and you can place the turret and barbette as a unit and move it as a unit.   it also allows for different possible barbettes for diferent guns as part of techtree  in the campaign.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to see transverse bulkheads added to the ship designer. Without it you can build a ship with massive amounts of deck armor, no belt armor and simply nose in against the enemy and there isn't anything they can do about it once you close the range and eliminate plunging fire. 

Thank you for your consideration.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now I know this idea is not realistic nor historically accurate but I thought the idea of side platforms on larger warships would be really cool and it would help side mounted main guns have better angles when aiming. I got this idea because I remember a mobile game where big gun platforms would be installed after doing what the game calls "remodeling" now im not talking about ripping off that game but if we could add gun platforms on the sides of our larger ships for side mounted main guns it would be very interesting to see how that plays out. Let me know what you guy's thoughts are on the idea. I dont expect this idea to be added but its an interesting idea nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

The new predreadnought battleship hull does not allow you to place large turrets (greater than 12") on the fore position due to overlap with the primary tower model. Tested with Germany; I think it may vary based on exact turret model.

And generally it is impossible to balance predreadnoughts fore-aft. Is this intentional (to reduce accuracy in that era)?

Hello!
My apologies if this is in wrong topic...

I tried to design Japanese battlecruiser in custom battles in 1929 - I found there is a bug/issue with Modern Secondary Tower IV where the place for funnel is too small to accommodate available funnels (Super Funnel small and Super Funnel large). Could you please either make other funnels available or make at least small Super Funnel fit the Mondern Secondary Tower IV? Thank you and keep up with the greaat job!

• 4 weeks later...

As of right now the only main tower for American modern and super battleships is the same tower design on the Iowa in real life in 3 different variants. I'm not criticizing but it would add some historical accuracy if we also had the Montana main tower for when we make huge battleships with 4 centerline turrets. if you guys don't know what I mean, when yall look at World of Warships you will notice Iowa and Montana have slightly different superstructures.image.thumb.png.a20d5b6a08087b1c448385ea0523de58.png 

as yall can see the towers in front of the first funnel have slightly different shapes while everything else looks nearly the same. now again im not asking for historical accuracy but it would be nice to have another American main tower with a different shape.

Im sure its likely been mentioned somewhere in here however going through every single post to look for it is a little tedious ANYWAYS the thing I'd like to see intermediate calibers however I'll list through the current ranges you have atm 2-20 inch guns also in the time selections you provide 1890-1945 (both primary and secondaries,mainly secondaries really) aside from the standard 1 inch increments (except the 15" i mentioned for Italy 381mm,doesn't really matter though just 1mm XD) there are the following:

2.2" (57mm quite common with various nations)

2.6" (66mm old Austro-Hungarian and France)

2.8" (70mm only ever used by Spain though from about 1879 to the 1900s)

3.5" (88-90mm,88s exclusive to Germany except 1 Swedish Bofors AA weapon,90mm were widely used by numerous nations)

3.9" (100mm Widely used)

4.1" (105mm,again mainly exclusive to Germany and again Sweden had one as well)

4.4" (113mm exclusive to British lol)

4.7" (120mm gun,widely used)

5.1" (130mm mainly used by Russia and France)

5.2" (133mm,optional really i don't necessarily care about it but im listing anyways,exclusively British)

5.4" (138mm exclusive to France i believe)

5.5" (140mm,mainly Japan)

5.87" (150mm mainly Germany)

6.1" (155mm France and Japan)

7.1" (180mm Spain early on and Russia)

7.50" (190.5mm mainly British)

7.6" (194mm exclusive to France)

7.9" (200mm used by spain from about 1880 to 1910s)

8.3" (210mm,exclusive to Germany)

9.2" (234mm exclusively British)

9.4" (240mm mainly Germany and a French one as well)

10.8" (274mm exclusive to France)

11.1" (283mm mostly used by Germany)

13.5" (343mm older British guns)

15.0" (381mm mainly Italy)

16.25" (412.8mm 1890s British) 

And that's all i have,i probably missed some though however there are numerous less than 2 inches but those along with the 2.2" really were used mainly for AA,i hope you guys at least give this a consideration on a side note while ive seen mention of a caliber size sliding adjuster this would be really cool to create your own caliber there's quite a bit of science/numerous calculations amongst other things to find out their ballistics,velocities,penetration,range explosive composition used and shell quality AND probably even more variables so this would very complicated so its not the best of ideas however i hope you give consideration to intermediate calibers,would definitely be cool :D ty for the amazing game keep up the great work!

• Like 3

On 7/23/2021 at 1:33 AM, ChristieWH said:

Im sure its likely been mentioned somewhere in here however going through every single post to look for it is a little tedious ANYWAYS the thing I'd like to see intermediate calibers however I'll list through the current ranges you have atm 2-20 inch guns also in the time selections you provide 1890-1945 (both primary and secondaries,mainly secondaries really) aside from the standard 1 inch increments (except the 15" i mentioned for Italy 381mm,doesn't really matter though just 1mm XD) there are the following:

2.2" (57mm quite common with various nations)

2.6" (66mm old Austro-Hungarian and France)

2.8" (70mm only ever used by Spain though from about 1879 to the 1900s)

3.5" (88-90mm,88s exclusive to Germany except 1 Swedish Bofors AA weapon,90mm were widely used by numerous nations)

3.9" (100mm Widely used)

4.1" (105mm,again mainly exclusive to Germany and again Sweden had one as well)

4.4" (113mm exclusive to British lol)

4.7" (120mm gun,widely used)

5.1" (130mm mainly used by Russia and France)

5.2" (133mm,optional really i don't necessarily care about it but im listing anyways,exclusively British)

5.4" (138mm exclusive to France i believe)

5.5" (140mm,mainly Japan)

5.87" (150mm mainly Germany)

6.1" (155mm France and Japan)

7.1" (180mm Spain early on and Russia)

7.50" (190.5mm mainly British)

7.6" (194mm exclusive to France)

7.9" (200mm used by spain from about 1880 to 1910s)

8.3" (210mm,exclusive to Germany)

9.2" (234mm exclusively British)

9.4" (240mm mainly Germany and a French one as well)

10.8" (274mm exclusive to France)

11.1" (283mm mostly used by Germany)

13.5" (343mm older British guns)

15.0" (381mm mainly Italy)

16.25" (412.8mm 1890s British) 

And that's all i have,i probably missed some though however there are numerous less than 2 inches but those along with the 2.2" really were used mainly for AA,i hope you guys at least give this a consideration on a side note while ive seen mention of a caliber size sliding adjuster this would be really cool to create your own caliber there's quite a bit of science/numerous calculations amongst other things to find out their ballistics,velocities,penetration,range explosive composition used and shell quality AND probably even more variables so this would very complicated so its not the best of ideas however i hope you give consideration to intermediate calibers,would definitely be cool :D ty for the amazing game keep up the great work!

If needed i can provide additional info such as specific models,their years used,the ammunition they fire their elevation angles,weights sorry if im not very detailed its my 1st post

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to request that sextuple gun turrets be added. I wish to create a Tillman II "Maximum Battleship."

I'd also like Bofors gun mounts to replace the 2" gun mounts for the American ships, unless you're going to add an actual 40mm gun at some point.%22Maximum_Battleship%22_Design_2.jpg

Edited by Urst
I forgot to add something.

• 2 months later...

Even though all the nations have their own late (ww2) era hulls and superstructures, what I really miss, is the WW1 era hulls and stuff for thr major nations. Would really like to create something similar, like the Derfflinger class battlecruisers, Bayern class Dreadnoughts, or their English counterparts. With the recent stuff available, its almost impossible.

• Like 3

On 11/9/2020 at 3:34 AM, Skeksis said:

Anybody can review gameplay videos to get to the truth of the matter, most people do before purchase.   

That one can take steps to discover blatant dishonesty before a purchase in no way excuses that dishonesty.

"Everyone's dishonest if they can make a money from it without any real penalty so I will be, too" strikes me as a singularly ethically bankrupt way to go through life, but hey, I'm probably strange, LOL.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Two small sugestions.
1) solve the Barbette issue by not having barbettes separate, instead have gun and barbette as a single unit.  så you select gunzize then number in turret, then "normal/superfiering/doublesupperfiering.  this way you can handle both visual and weight calculations better.

2) for uss that dont spend every waking hour reading upp about historical ships.  could you place some mouse over popupp with historical info  to compliment the raw data for different parts (especially hulls)
Stuff like
years it was used,
Ship types you can build from this (like  was used in shipps x,y,z)
avantages/differences from earlier types of the same component.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some issue regarding placing secondary guns...

Trying to recreate Russian pre-dreadnought battleship Tsesarevich. It said she had 2x305mm & 6x152mm guns, however placing 2 152mm turrets at front's both sides is impossible since it's affected by already placed 305 turret (and the other way round, when I can place 152 turrets at front's sides but not the 305 one at forecastle). This is very odd, because I did an exactly similar design for French 1890s battleship using same hull, same main/secondary guns. Looks like have to go with 127mm turrets at front's side then which makes aft overweight.

Ts.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1