Game-Labs Forum

An analysis of last patches.

I greatly reduced in last times forums usage - till last exploits - but I was thinking by some weeks to underline some points in game mechanics added recently.

New Weight-based damage

I think, even from the perspective of a mainly light ship user, it is good. SoL should be deadly for lighter shipping.
I consider quite bad HP bonus lately given to all ships... but I have to admit that it was required to make game playable especially for the majority. If this means a Requin can (barely) withstand a full Bellona broadside is not good, but it's in any case WAY better than in the past.

On the other hand I noticed quite an issue with sail (not mast) damage with this system.

Having sail HPs scaling with ship rating is on one hand quite unreal (Bellona has not almost two times sail surface of a Endy) and coupled with weight based damage makes bigger ships too effective in chaining and smaller too uneffective. And unreal too: real damage to sail is hole-size based, so it should be diameter sized, not weight based.

To give an example: a SINGLE 68 carro chain can rig shock a requin. And two light 9pd geared ships can barely damage sails of any SoL. Twofold bad mechanic, granted ligher shipping is already facing far higher risks in combat against heavier.

Sincerely I have no idea how can be solved this issue code-wise (may be reworking sail HPs of all ships and differentiate ball damage base value if hitting sail or hull). But I think it's something Devs should look into.

OpenWorld battle opened for weaker side and R-zones.

As already stated it's better to have more battles. BUT the system is prone to a lot of abuses as well noted and reported.
IMO it could be better to or get back to previously 2-minutes joining timer or, to keep a good share of more battling open, to swap to a plain 5/10 minute opened for all.

I can understand that this could be considered quite brutal... but let's face it: any organized group (and usually so more experienced) will forever exploit the joining system and BR values.

About no more R-zones, I obviously appreciate, raiding. On the other hand I feel it's too brutal for defending side, especially now.
BR system is "hull based". Today we will get more and more superships (superior crafts and ENORMOUS port bonuses).

A 4/5+ 4 port 2+ bonunes Indef used by a veteran is deadly for a random 3rd rate... but BR-wise the indef will be the weaker side. So raider will be able to tag the 3rd rate in front of enemy capitol quite sure that NOBODY will ever can disturb his killing. Raiding in enemy waters is already profitable but it has to be risky.

Therefore I'd suggest to add back R-zones, making the owning side able to join for 20 minutes irrespective of BR and raider side getting closed in 2 minutes in any case.

Port Crafting.

In a few words: GREAT IDEA.

BUT definately the bonuses are totally over the roof. Coupled with Devs idea I read to nerf mod/books is plain crap. Having an high bonus port will be central gear-wise, not a nice extra bonus.
Therefore smaller teams and especially smaller nations will stand ZERO chances at all against bigger groups, being outnumbered and badly outgeared.

Giving higher chances to get purple-gold ships could be nice, 1-2 mods help but dont break totally game balance. Ability to choose ship trim (even AI-only trims) could be bearable again not breaking totally balance. Port build ship with 5/5 4th level port bonus will throw any ship balance out of the window.

I'd like to point that AFAIK a Russian port is almost top ranked right now. In like a week post reset.
How other captains (I do not speak even about RvR) could be able to stand any chance gear wise?

These bonuses are too high and it's too difficult to get close to them for a too big share of player base. IMO they could destroy totally the game condemning it to definitive death.

I'd add again that DLC/note redeemed ship do not get any bonus. This means, and it's commercially stupid IMO, that DLCs will worth nothing in the next future; already now Surprises are more competitive that Herc/Pand in shallows. With port bonuses only on craft DLCs will stand zero chances. I hope this, coupled with revised port bonuses could be handled as soon as possible before game damage will be too much.

For those saying "DLC is easy instant full ship", aside remembering them these ships need to be fitted, I would propose again: DLC owners should get ship crafting BP for owned ships: if they want better ships (and same superior quality chances) let them craft their ships. Otherwise DLCs will be close to a fraud: not easy instant-action ships, but simply targets for other, far superior, ships.

Frontlines.

Again: GREAT IDEA... if not for implementation and exploits.

My main concern still is the capitol based line of attack: this means that on map real targets are only county capitols. As soon as a capitol is taken, rest of the county can be considered if not already neutral, only matter of time to be conquered.

This has 2 bad sides: first, it reduces greatly potential targets for all. Secondly, being the capitols usually the highest BR ports, making RvR for smaller teams/nations even more less viable (as we see the game is more and more powerplaying oriented - and this is bad for any MMO wishing to create a great playerbase: NA has still a playerbase mainly because it's an unique game... but keep trying to suicide and it will die soon - IMO).

My proposal to overhaul the system is exactly working it on the contrary: Capitols (bigger ports with probably higher improvement points too or as it should be) can be attacked only AFTER all minor ports (or majority of them) is conquered. And it makes sense too: you need to get closer to the main objective (the capitol) with forward bases (the secondary towns) to then unleash the bigger attack on the most defended port (the capitol itself).

Working on this concept, I think, could make hostility lines (from where you can take hostility mission to where) simpler and more obvious: based on capitols we get big (or small) jumps in front advance or retreat and port links (that should be clearly readable on map) less logical. Simply any non capitol or free town can be used to get hostility to a set of N (3-4-5?) other small nearby ports. It will require some refining but I think if well set it will create a web of linked-attack.able ports creating on the meantime some natural chokepoints, that are usually militarly interesting.

Moreover this will unlock the majority of the map port (and not the minority) to free RvR, and granted smaller BR (something in general requiring some refining) ports, some ways to expand and create bases for smaller clans and nations.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 13

^  What he said...

Well thought out and composed analysis.

Regarding BR and joining open battles, the current rules prevent nearby ships from protecting others.  Obviously the ganker shouldn't be allowed to pick one ship of of a crowd and have a private gankfest.  How about a two minute timer where anyone can join, and a 20 minute timer based on BR rating as now?  And if your nationality is one of the two sides in the battle, you must join that side.

I also applaud the attempt to add frontlines and user-defined port bonuses to the game.  Totally realistic concept and adds a lot to the game for someone like me who enjoys the strategic aspect more than the "pew-pew".  I'm sure tweaks can fix the exploits.  

Stuff will get fixed.  Devs are obviously trying to put together an enjoyable game rather than shoving it out the door.  Well done.  

As for those who enjoy exploiting the flaws instead of finding and helping fix them; "It is odd people care more about living long than living honorably, as while no man can live long any man can live honorably".  (Vinny the pompous quoting Seneca the wise) 

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Obviously the ganker shouldn't be allowed to pick one ship of of a crowd and have a private gankfest.  How about a two minute timer where anyone can join, and a 20 minute timer based on BR rating as now?  And if your nationality is one of the two sides in the battle, you must join that side.

This is the mechanic already in place.  Why is it obvious that the gankers cant have a single victim?  If a group travels together, they are entitled to kill whoever they can catch.  There is no natural law that says a lone traveller must be rescued.  In the real life age of sail, it was quite common for lone ships to get murdered...days from help.

• Like 3

Agree with all of this.

1 hour ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Therefore smaller teams and especially smaller nations will stand ZERO chances at all against bigger groups, being outnumbered and badly outgeared.

Especially this, which is a real shame for solo/small gang players. More emphasis on clan play was fine, but surely there is a better way than this. Some players are not fussed about RvR but feel forced into joining large clans rather than wanting to. This limits types of play instead of expanding which is a shame and unnecessary imo.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

Especially this, which is a real shame for solo/small gang players. More emphasis on clan play was fine, but surely there is a better way than this. Some players are not fussed about RvR but feel forced into joining large clans rather than wanting to. This limits types of play instead of expanding which is a shame and unnecessary imo.

this like what happened in world of Warcraft, the casuals complained about not being able to get in to raids because they where to hard and they started handing out gear to everyone.

i am not calling anyone in this game casuals, people should play the game the way they want and if you want to hunt with 5 others plays and have fun there should be place for that. but i don't believe the reward should be same as if you focus on rvr, for one the risk is fare higher in rvr, losing 15 to 20 ships of line will take a lot more time and cost then 5 smaller ships, second the amount of time used on traveling and preparing is much higher such as sailing to new out posts, transporting repairs so everyone who tow there ships has everything they need, most of my out posts are decided by my clan and my time in game is to some degree as well. third the amount of organization both with in your own clan and with the rest of the nation and not speak of other nations in the game is much more demanding, diplomatic talks and meeting with other clan leaders, pooling victory marks/combat medals/doubloons to upgrade ports and making sure you have the materials to replace at least 25 first rates if you should need to. and for all of this effort rvr focused clan haven't really gotten any benefit until now with the new port investments.  

the game should work of risk/reward system and if smaller clans what to get the best ships they can work with the bigger clans and get access to there ports, even with out doing all of the work that it took to get the port or build it up, but if there is no bonus for people to sink massive amount of time into rvr then no one will do it.         

About the Frontlines Regional Capitals, you mention if they are taken it is only a matter of time before the smaller ports are captured. I've not considered the maths on port cooldown and such. How soon can the attacking nation be able to take missions from the Regional Capital to attack the smaller ports? Is this time greater or lesser than the time the defending nation can take a HM against the lost Regional Capital? Let's see:

• RC lost has a 3 day cooldown, so the defending nation has 3 days to wait before they can try to recapture the RC.
  • Attacking nation can take HM against smaller ports the very next day, so after 1 day the attacker can take all remaining ports in that region.

Yep, this heavily favors the attackers. Sure one might say it's the defender's fault for not winning the defense. So a zerg nation with enough players/clans can wipe out all ports in one day while a smaller nation can field enough for maybe one port....to which they must win.

Somehow, the cooldown system needs reworked, or perhaps the smaller ports should be taken before RCs.

Edited by van der Decken

4 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

This is the mechanic already in place.  Why is it obvious that the gankers cant have a single victim?  If a group travels together, they are entitled to kill whoever they can catch.  There is no natural law that says a lone traveller must be rescued.  In the real life age of sail, it was quite common for lone ships to get murdered...days from help.

Sorry, was unclear.  As I understand it, I and four friends can be sailing along in sight of each other.  I get attacked.  Unless the BR ratio allows, my friends can't join in the fight.  So effectively the ganker cut a member out of a group to attack and allies around can't help.  Odd...

42 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Sorry, was unclear.  As I understand it, I and four friends can be sailing along in sight of each other.  I get attacked.  Unless the BR ratio allows, my friends can't join in the fight.  So effectively the ganker cut a member out of a group to attack and allies around can't help.  Odd...

First two minutes, any number of players can join both sides.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, van der Decken said:

About the Frontlines Regional Capitals, you mention if they are taken it is only a matter of time before the smaller ports are captured. I've not considered the maths on port cooldown and such. How soon can the attacking nation be able to take missions from the Regional Capital to attack the smaller ports? Is this time greater or lesser than the time the defending nation can take a HM against the lost Regional Capital? Let's see:

• RC lost has a 3 day cooldown, so the defending nation has 3 days to wait before they can try to recapture the RC.
  • Attacking nation can take HM against smaller ports the very next day, so after 1 day the attacker can take all remaining ports in that region.

Yep, this heavily favors the attackers. Sure one might say it's the defender's fault for not winning the defense. So a zerg nation with enough players/clans can wipe out all ports in one day while a smaller nation can field enough for maybe one port....to which they must win.

Somehow, the cooldown system needs reworked, or perhaps the smaller ports should be taken before RCs.

By when you cap the Capitol, if secondary towns go undefended you'll cap all within 24-36hrs.

Day 1: hostility Capitol.

Day 2: Capitol battle and cap.

Day 3: hostility on all towns.

Day 4: PBs in all county towns.

Also for this I proposed as a solution, also for smaller clan/nation to have to county towns needed to attack the capitol and not the system as it is now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rune said:

this like what happened in world of Warcraft, the casuals complained about not being able to get in to raids because they where to hard and they started handing out gear to everyone.

i am not calling anyone in this game casuals, people should play the game the way they want and if you want to hunt with 5 others plays and have fun there should be place for that. but i don't believe the reward should be same as if you focus on rvr, for one the risk is fare higher in rvr, losing 15 to 20 ships of line will take a lot more time and cost then 5 smaller ships, second the amount of time used on traveling and preparing is much higher such as sailing to new out posts, transporting repairs so everyone who tow there ships has everything they need, most of my out posts are decided by my clan and my time in game is to some degree as well. third the amount of organization both with in your own clan and with the rest of the nation and not speak of other nations in the game is much more demanding, diplomatic talks and meeting with other clan leaders, pooling victory marks/combat medals/doubloons to upgrade ports and making sure you have the materials to replace at least 25 first rates if you should need to. and for all of this effort rvr focused clan haven't really gotten any benefit until now with the new port investments.  

the game should work of risk/reward system and if smaller clans what to get the best ships they can work with the bigger clans and get access to there ports, even with out doing all of the work that it took to get the port or build it up, but if there is no bonus for people to sink massive amount of time into rvr then no one will do it.         

In my proposal Capitols get higher BR and (should) get higher improvements points.

Therefore bigger and stronger clan/nations will be able to get and defend capitols - and getting higher bonus on crafting due to higher improvement points.

BUT smaller clans will have room attacking and defending (due to lower BR) in county towns. Getting still some crafting bonus but unable to cap them as in capitols.

So the risk-reward has been taken into consideration.

And some solution IS needed because quite soon there'll be the pros (with numbers too) will get so big bonuses on ships that they'll be no match for other... simply gear wise.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Keep in mind that the scale of OW is exaggerated.  If you aren't within the tag circle you aren't really "sailing together". 

Edited by Barbancourt
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rune said:

You can’t compare WoW with Naval action. In WoW you don’t lose what you have. All you have can’t be lost to other players action. But to follow you idea of use WoW as an example. I can live with NA be as succesful over time with more than millions of players. So if I get you right, all NA had to do to be succesful is give all ppl acces to top gear, without the fear of losing it. Just dont see NA as such game.

You are proberbly right, some will not do RvR. Just dont think you are right abouth the most players. By carring for top Nations/clans/players. They simply have made the game so unballanced with buff from port development, that only those in the Top over time can win in RvR, and with the buff also in OW PvP. So my guess they overtime simply run out of ppl want to fight them. Ask the Swedes how much fighting they got after have sealclubbed the entire server. It is before my time, so I only have heard stories. There was a time with lots of players, lots of fighting. Was there back then made fancy buffs so the top, would be much better then the rest?

Thats a big generalisation, and I in general think you are wrong. Ppl do RvR because it is fun. But when you no more can fight on equal turns, ppl stop. When you have to grind for hours and hours to replace lost ships, ppl stop. But time will tell if you are right. When ppl are done with the Ai Pb’s. We should see plenty of RvR, because now RvR matters.       

your right the its not the same because you can lose your stuff in naval action, but what i am comparing is the amount of time used for rvr clans to hardcore raiding guilds in wow back in vanilla and burning crusade. but the fact that you can lose your ships in naval action and that rvr clans risk more every time they do port battle should offer some kind of benefit over smaller clans that don't use the same amount of time and have the same risk. i don't think naval action will be like wow with 13 million players because it is not the same kinda game, but it could become like eve online maybe.

i agree that the buffs are to strong right now and i think they could easily cut them in half and they would still be strong. but what smaller clans should do in my mind is to start working with the larger ones, skill counts more then numbers in the game and before the swedes where strong the Danes where on top and before that it was SLRN in British nation. but one thing that don't change is the players with that skill. you have redii from Havoc, awesome players with one of the best commanders in the game maybe. anolytic from Reds have some every skilled players and anolytic is i would say is on par with redii in commanding fleets. there is bf and Rubili and when ever i fight them with equal numbers they come out on top, i cant say all of the clans but most better rvr clan can carry entire nation in this game.

i do rvr because its fun and i like big battles and i am sure most of the people from the clan i am in feels the same, but we all play this game because its fun but we need high end goals like there was in wow back in day. you would go into ironforge and see that player in full epics say to your self i wanna be like him have have his gear, i think we need some that in this game as well so new player will look at big clans with good ships and skilled players and say to them self, i wanna be like them                    

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Routan said:

I played WoW for many years, was never for the gear I raided. It was for the Challenge. But ppl are different. Gear was just a way to progress.

Not sure that RvR clans spend more time ore having a higher risk if losing there ships. Think if we get acces to the data, it might actually show the opposit. An eve online  doubt it. NA simply a Black ore with game, there is no dept to it.

Can a good clan carry a nation. I think yes. Do we in many of those clans, that  can carry a nation,  also have Leaders and player in them, that helps develop the game  expirience for those not playing there way. I can’t really think of many. Imo most is abouth what do we get. It is the game, witch is fair enough. I just belive,  if we should develop this game in to something great, we simply can’t depend on those that can do to it. Think we allready have seen most of them lack the characther.

I think problem isn't about gear but more about disparity between the best and worst of available ships. You cannot compare to WoW really because apart from number of crew rank does nothing, is all about  buffs books/refit/ship/woods.   As buff difference gets higher and main nations monopolise woods etc where is the place for smaller nations etc ... they will just go play something else as have no chance to compete in RvR of OW PvP.  Change problem as i see it is that before you needed to gather mats, get woods, refits, to make one ship ,  with port bonuses as they stand becomes a production line and before long all ships in major nations have distinct advantage not just 1 or 2 heavily buffed ships but all.  There is issue that will i think be a game breaker, how long you think people will act as fodder for these super ships?  My guess is they will just move on and stop playing  as unable to compete on balanced field, sure have advantages but to have so many ships with inbuilt buffs will kill game for many as victors for win get almost empty server.  Look at speed mods for ports +5% speed alone means effectively copper plating on ALL built ships from maxed ports, that alone is a game breaker as not even able to run from these Dreadnoughts.

Another thing mentioned was the issue of clanless players, well guess what problem is they can't be bothered with all drama, toxicity, and egotistical idiots that plague most games. I been in few clans and  for most part were ok and good guys... until some egomaniac teenager L33T type gets involved and blows clan apart.  When you get someone like that in any game group isn't long before it spreads like a cancer, and sorry to say some prefer to be apart from all this.  Look at all the stuff happens every change, every battle, personal grievances, exploits, etc is it any wonder so few on servers?   Community needs to take a long hard look at selves in this respect, and not sure if can be rescued without hard and fast action by devs/moderators.

Just look at threads about ports taken, the  guys have a legitimate issue but Devs ignore yet when happened with GB port battle cancelled. Is it any wonder some players angry?  Is there really a need to rub faces of those affected in mud in threads?

Not my problem, but things are getting worse in my opinion and perhaps hard and fast rules need making about mob mindset and infantile responses just done to get people angry.

Is all very sad to see, especially as core of game so good and most people who play are cool guys.  Just same old story a minority of idiots love to create anger and for them that is fun they desire. 

Very very sad indeed.

I played a while but tend to avoid forum for very reasons i stated.

1 hour ago, Routan said:

I played WoW for many years, was never for the gear I raided. It was for the Challenge. But ppl are different. Gear was just a way to progress.

Same here.

1 hour ago, Routan said:

Not sure that RvR clans spend more time ore having a higher risk if losing there ships. Think if we get acces to the data, it might actually show the opposit. An eve online  doubt it. NA simply a Black ore with game, there is no dept to it.

Difficult to say.

The real point is that smaller clan/nations with so big high bonuses in port AND only Capitol attackable are risking being wiped. Outnumbered and outgeared (badly) too.

For this I said: make county towns attackable and needed to get Capitols. Make capitols having more BR and more improvement points. This will not kill RvR: it will make RvR more varied.

The WoW parallel could stand remembering that WoW top player base was hit when they added different content for different groups (ie. Arenas and not only Battlegrounds and 10/25 manned raids, normal/heroic, in place of only 40manned).
Same goes for NA. If you force (port improvements + capitol centered frontlines) to work in big group you're doing exactly the contrary. And probably damaging the playerbase, not helping its growth.

Pre-last patch, a single raider could work finely. Risking a bit more than in group, but farming and being adequately rich to upkeep high end gear.
Now, lacking the rarewoods + port improvements it's a specimen it could not live without support of a big nation.

Same goes with small team/nations. How can you imagine Prussia developing a couple year ago having to face superior numbers AND far superior gear AND attackable ports requiring 20+ captains together (+ screening)?

2 hours ago, Doh said:

There is issue that will i think be a game breaker, how long you think people will act as fodder for these super ships?

That is exactly what I stated already in different posts. A huge drawback. I play in Danmark-Norge nation and now that forts are gone I stop playing and testing, because I have no chance in getting a decent ship and got ganked several times in front of Christiansted / Amalienborg. I don't see how I can continue testing. It simply makes no sense. Sorry devs, make the game playable for a great variety of players not only for huge nations with super ships and then maybe I'll come back ... Most people I know have quit ...

• Like 1

i like the latch patch but he we need rework

hosti can only be generated by the clan that started the hosti mission. big clan can help small clans to cap a port.

frontline need rework. i think we have enough topics about it

port invest needs rework

the port owner needs the option to remove stuff and he needs an option that friendly clans can only invest for example in shipbuilding or only in the defense.

the clan owner needs also the option that every player in the nation can invest in the port. we have enough ports and in 90% in the ports will nobody invest. the clanless player and the small clan need also good ships. with that option can every player craft good ships. then nobody will be disadvantaged

9 minutes ago, El Patron said:

the clan owner needs also the option that every player in the nation can invest in the port. we have enough ports and in 90% in the ports will nobody invest. the clanless player and the small clan need also good ships. with that option can every player craft good ships. then nobody will be disadvantaged

So in the end you (Russia) are capping all 50 investment point ports just to stop others having them.

So stopping other players enjoying game features without any practical - in game - reason.

I think it's very close to definition of griefing.

Polemicizing aside.

IMO, only way to assure access to port facilities to any (reasonable) kind of clan/nation - so small too, granted today numbers and BRs, is having county ports capturable not only from Capitols.
This is the root of the problem.

What you're saying is that all clan/nations needs to get access to decent ports... but you dont explain, with Capitol centered hostility (and capitols BRs) how this is could be done... aside the case of magnificent and kind permission of the stronger.

About owner more control of port features (as in clan), it's obviously right. And all features requested in various form in the past too.

• Like 1

what's needed to be changed is that the ports have their own labor hours and, it should be removed from the player on the ship. (that would be the most logical option I think)

Edited by Thonys

8 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

So in the end you (Russia) are capping all 50 investment point ports just to stop others having them.

So stopping other players enjoying game features without any practical - in game - reason.

I think it's very close to definition of griefing.

If only we had a frontlines system!  That would solve this kind of behaviour.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thonys said:

well i gave a Russian le requin a broadside with poods and it only did about 4 % damage to the hull

so i cannot agree on this one...

there seems to be rng involved or a "other" mechanic...(if this is the case) but something is not wright yet,>> so back to the drawing board i think

With no offense intended, a carro requin full broadside (12x 32 carro) on another requin is worth 35-40+% of the side (plus some structure and obviously dependant on receiving hull buildup).

An (almost, I cant know exact number of hull hits) full Bellona broadside in a requin (I received one like 3 days ago) dropped my ship from 60+ish% side and full structure to 0% side and 40% structure.

So I'd say is working more or less as intended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

With no offense intended, a carro requin full broadside (12x 32 carro) on another requin is worth 35-40+% of the side (plus some structure and obviously dependant on receiving hull buildup).

An (almost, I cant know exact number of hull hits) full Bellona broadside in a requin (I received one like 3 days ago) dropped my ship from 60+ish% side and full structure to 0% side and 40% structure.

So I'd say is working more or less as intended.

yes but i shot with a Bellona with poods and it did only 4 % 

that s the weird part of it or i must have missed entirely the hull but that was not showing graficly to me

1 minute ago, Thonys said:

yes but i shot with a Bellona with poods and it did only 4 % 

that s the weird part of it or i must have missed entirely the hull but that was not showing graficly to me

Getting hits on the fugly little beast is the problem.  I fought one last night and a single broadside from a PFrig with longs did massive damage.  Unfortunately, the rest of the time I was either high or low with most of my shots and as soon as he felt he was damaged enough, of course he just pointed upwind and laughed.  Not worth fighting.

• Like 1