Game-Labs Forum

Getting rare woods

mikawa

Question

Hello,

can someone help me how I can exactly get white oak?

Assuming the na-map under https://na-map.netlify.com/

is correct I can only get it at Nouvelle Orleans by drop.

Must I sail there in a traders ship, then place a contract and then wait 24h until it is fulfilled - assuming that I need to enter the correct price, then claim it and sail homewards?

What is the correct price? How could I know it?

The port belongs to russia atm. I understand that this is a kind of creation of rvr to capture this port but wouldn't it be better to make it neutral? I can not teleport from there because I can not make an outpost. Does it mean I have to break my gameplay for completetly 24h to get it?

Or did I miss something and I can do it easier?

It would be very helpful to get an answer.

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

3 ways.

1. New Orleans is the "infinite" port for White Oak. That means White Oak will ALWAYS spawn at that port. You can try and get it by bidding a higher contract then other players there.

2. There are random ports that have big supplies of White Oak (1,000,000 starting supply), the Clan that owns these ports can extract them for a price of Doubloons to take them out. Any clan that is on the Friendly clan list of the owning port can also take these missions to extract from the limited supply.

A number of these limited supplied ports have been found and are currently being used. Best to ask folks in your nation what they may know, or if you're in a clan - ask if they know. 

3. setup a buy contract or agree with a player who has some wood resources on a deal to make to get what you want.

• Like 2

Havent tried yet:

My understanding is that there is only one permanent port per rare wood type

There are additional "forests" that are spawned across the map (randomly but these can also be generated by player action I believe) 

Once you've found one of these forests your clan can trade in doubloons for wood via clan delivery missions.

This new mechanism requires exploring but clans in your friends list have access to the same delivery missions (check clans friendly to yours as they might already know the location of some rare wood forests)

IF the permanent posts behave like they did previously you could sail to New Orleans to put up a buy contract. The price would be player driven and you would just need to offer more than the last  active contract. That is assuming these still work the same as before Patch 30. You'd need a merchant vessel to get into the port

Please don't take what I wrote as gospel, as I say I havent tried it yet. Perhaps some folks here can fill in the gaps

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

1. New Orleans is the "infinite" port for White Oak. That means White Oak will ALWAYS spawn at that port. You can try and get it by bidding a higher contract then other players there.

Doesn't that mean I can't play in the meantime because (being a not russian) I'm stuck at Nouvelle Orleans because I can't teleport from there plus the risk of getting caught either on entering or leaving the port?

Doesn't that make the port completely uninteresting thwarting the origin intention of RVR?

I feel like the rare goods distribution is a major flaw at the moment.  I'm against the whole concept of "rare", however.

22 minutes ago, mikawa said:

Doesn't that mean I can't play in the meantime because (being a not russian) I'm stuck at Nouvelle Orleans because I can't teleport from there plus the risk of getting caught either on entering or leaving the port?

If you can't play because you don't have access to White Oak, then that is a choice you are making.  I "can" play without that resource, but I don't believe I should have to.  There should be an ability for all players to get any resource they want, with some effort.  It should not depend on any other player, though.

22 minutes ago, mikawa said:

Doesn't that make the port completely uninteresting thwarting the origin intention of RVR?

the intention is that, for RvR, you bypass the Doubloon Fee that other ports/clans have for White Oak "there." RvR intention is for players/groups to get strategic points or assets and be able to marginally control them for a personal success, or nation  success.

Personally, I find it easier to get the White Oak from a limited supply port than the infinite source - due to how many people would aim for it and put buy contracts up, increasing the price.

• Like 1

You can't set contracts in enemy towns so unless you take it from the russians then - no you can't get WO. Coincidentally the french, allies of the russians has teak and live oak i.e. creating a systemic hegemony - but no worries you can always sail an oak/oak ship.

Personally, I find the concept good with the limited availability of wood. Through this new regulation, the port owners get more influence and in addition, each port is theoretically precious because the forests appear random. The former solution with numerous alt-chars just to wait in the respective ports does not work anymore, because you still cant buy anything, if you are not a friend of the port owner. Given the size of the forests, I assume that there will be no shortage of White Oak. The bigger problem for individuals will be the purchase price of this wood.

15 hours ago, mikawa said:

We had the same thing with Magahony in our Clan.  But in my Expierence you dont need to place a Contract since there is enough Wood (Whenever i visited the Port at  10:00PM there were more than 2000 units Magahony available.)

I  bought 6000 Units of Magahony and sailing a Convoy of 3 LGV and a L'Hermonie to our many Crafter to drop it all in the Clanwarehouse. It takes me around 6h to get from the Maghonyport to the Clanwarehouse. So yes, it needs time, but 6000 Units of Maghony is enough for several Ships. IF you just craft for yourself, one trip of Whiteoak  shoud supply you for several Weeks. (Unless you craft and Sell.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

You can't set contracts in enemy towns so unless you take it from the russians then - no you can't get WO. Coincidentally the french, allies of the russians has teak and live oak i.e. creating a systemic hegemony - but no worries you can always sail an oak/oak ship.

This is a huge issue on PvE server: For us N Orleans is perma French, thus nobody else can buy WO by contract/reales. Would be better to shift the wo for reales place to a neutral port !

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 2

You might make a lucky score but in general, it is currently not possible for smaller clans or individual players to obtain quantities of rare woods consistently. But then, we can no longer consistently supply ourselves with larger ships either so it may not matter.

• Like 1

I plead for a situation where every player has at least any possibility to get these rare woods for crafting his ships. Solo players should not have disadvantages -- weren't Pirates mostly lone wolfs? At least the pirate fraction should provide a solution for this.

Edited by mikawa