Game-Labs Forum

Custom localization file - discussions

Captains. 

Please discuss the usage and technical issues with the custom file, that allows you to replace the language in the game. You can also ask questions if you do not understand something in the custom file and got stuck. 

• To use the custom file for your version of the translation:
    • Open folder Languages (currently Langs)
    • Copy the file named  _English.csv
    • Paste and rename it to another name (make sure new file name doesn't start with underscore symbol "_")
    • Translate or edit that file to the language you want 
    • Save it in the standard CSV format if you open it in the Excel (file uses UTF-8)
    • Name of that file will be available in the general section of options in the drop down menu
    • File will be working properly after game has been restarted.

fu1d2Cy.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Released Privateer said:

Rookie question here, which parts are we supposed to translate and which should remain untouched? Translate literally everything, or the common categories like:  "Common/ButtonExit" should be left as they are?

I think that, like a mod, you 'modder/translator' do what you want. There will certainly be several files of the same langage.

Edited by LeBoiteux

1 hour ago, Released Privateer said:

Rookie question here, which parts are we supposed to translate and which should remain untouched? Translate literally everything, or the common categories like:  "Common/ButtonExit" should be left as they are?

So far I have translated everything besides the loading screen quotes. I'm not sure if I will, because they might not be as funny as before or they might stop making sense.

1 hour ago, Released Privateer said:

All what is exported into the _English.csv can be translated (some strings are blank though). All strings that won't be translated (like ship names, port names, etc) aren't exported to that file.

• Like 1

Don't like that language file contain hard coded numeric values.

If devs change them in game then all who made translation must change their files..

for example

"Port/Taxes/TradingOutpost/Message2","Are you sure want to enable Trading Outpost for 10%?. This will increase daily cost by 10%."
"Port/Taxes/TradingOutpost/Message3","Are you sure want to enable Trading Outpost for 20%?. This will increase daily cost by 20%."
"Tutorial/BoardingCombat/RepairSail/Tip","Repair fixes 25% of sails and lasts for 2 minutes depending on crew on repairs. You can only repair Hull or Sails at the same time once every 12 mins"
"Tutorial/BoardingCombat/SailToObjective/Tip","Repair fixes 25% of sails and lasts for 2 minutes depending on crew on repairs. You can only repair Hull or Sails at the same time once every 12 mins.
"Tutorial/PreparingForBoarding/Tip","Boarding is possible if both ships sail below 3.5 knots and are close to each other.
"Tutorial/ReducingCrew/DestroyCrew/Tip","Get very close to the target, aim at the areas where crew is (guns on the deck).

Grape is only effective if you shoot though the damaged side (below 30%).

Grape ricochets more if you are shooting at angle to hull"
"Port/Missions/Hostility/HostilityReachedMessage","Hostility for {0} has reached 25%"

And description of modules and perks

"Module/Description/646","-5% dispersion on carronades"
"Module/Description/628","mortar reloads 2x faster – accuracy is 25% better – shoots 2 balls from 1 mortar"
Edited by qw569
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Released Privateer said:

@admin I am testing that and after minor changes, changing game settings language and re-launching it worked! Then I did more changes to the localization file and now I receive no ping/server status. If I disable language file with "_", servers work normally again. Any idea? I might have added the stuff I shouldn't be touching (which I was asking earlier about). Now I am not sure how to locate the issue. I did not remove, nor add any new lines. Just simply change the text in the brackets.

Perhaps some kind of csv linter would help, like https://csvlint.io/

But I recommend you to create a google spreadsheet document for translating. I will post instructions in a few minutes.

1) Create a new spreadsheet document, then click on "Import" option

original.png

2) In the window that appeared select "Upload" tab, and upload the _English.csv file

3) In the Import file window select the next radio buttons

original.png

4) Click "Import data" and wait while imported. You will see the data appeared in your document.

5) Do edit/translate strings you want to change.

6) When you finished select File -> Download As -> .csv to download your translation file

original.png

7) Move the downloaded file into the game's Languages folder

You should not have any problems with csv formatting now, google formats the csv file automatically for you.

@Released Privateer

• Like 4

Reviewing, translating and personalizing the CSV file.

During CSV upload in excel and translation, I have the following questions:

1. Some lines appear that characters. It is normal?

Examples: 

Yes, I’m… I’m a bit nervous myself…    Sí, estoy ... Estoy un poco nerviosa yo misma ...
Placing ships alongside that of the enemy…    Situando barcos junto a la del enemigo ...
He’s a good swimmer.    Es un buen nadador.
You’re gonna need a bigger boat…    Vas a necesitar un barco más grande ...

2. In Spanish, special characters such as Ñ and tildes are used. Do these special characters require special coding ?. Do you have a conversion table?

Examples: 

You attacked in that thing? You are braver than we thought..    ¿Atacaste en esa cosa? Eres más valiente de lo que pensábamos.
Good Captain. Good. Kill him. Kill him now…    Buen capitán. Bueno. Mátalo. Mátalo ahora ...
He has been waiting for you Captain..    Él ha estado esperando Capitán ..
It was the ship of dreams to everyone else…    Fue el barco de los sueños para todos los demás ...

Some characters:

Ñ,   Vocals (Upper and low): Á, á, É, é, Í,í,Ó,ó,Ú,ú, Ç, ç, ï, ü

3. There are longer words or phrases in Spanish than in English. Is the text automatically resized in the element (button, label ...)

4. Can the variables be changed or add extra coding in the text?

5 hours ago, Released Privateer said:

First noticed that:

image.png.76ca955a23f987919f403fa9d2143018.png

and I did not change anything with speed

Uhh...

”Houston, we have a problem “....

This is not good...seems that is related to the.csv file. I hope to not touch that string.

I almost quitting the idea to customize my language file. It’s good enough the way it is ...

@Released Privateer 

I'll check

@FRAN

1) csv uses utf-8 encoding, it seems your Excel installation opened the file with some other character encoding

2) all characters work fine with utf-8

3) some of them are automatically resized, some of them lowering font size, some of them just have static width (we will try to fix the last ones); but better to think "no" and try to use phrases with the same or less length

4) changed how? please explain what do you mean, thanks

10 hours ago, slik said:

@Released Privateer 

I'll check

@FRAN

1) csv uses utf-8 encoding, it seems your Excel installation opened the file with some other character encoding

2) all characters work fine with utf-8

3) some of them are automatically resized, some of them lowering font size, some of them just have static width (we will try to fix the last ones); but better to think "no" and try to use phrases with the same or less length

4) changed how? please explain what do you mean, thanks

Indeed. In Google sheets it is very simple and easy. No issues till now.

Edited by La bouche

On 12/18/2018 at 8:22 PM, Released Privateer said:

First noticed that:

image.png.76ca955a23f987919f403fa9d2143018.png

and I did not change anything with speed

On 12/19/2018 at 10:45 PM, La bouche said:

Found how to fix:

{0}<size=11>Kn</size>

You should get rid of the aditional space between the {0} and the rest of the line. Aditionally, if you change the value after "=", you can change the size of the numbers...

Had the same issue, but successfully fixed with your help. 

• Like 1

I noticed also this:

In Spanish you have to use the punctuation marks before and after the sentence, so while in English is (for instance) Hello! Hello?  in Spanish would have to be ¡Hello! ¿Hello?

So when I put the punctation mark before I got this:

https://gyazo.com/d31f1dac4218c12be67c1c95f0ee44d0

Here also, you can see the "s starting and finishing all the sentences in that menu: https://gyazo.com/d1d45ed017f8921ba4bed455f8b90d6d

In other sentences when started by (¡) you get this: https://gyazo.com/54b6ee775008e889d43f3cb563efb555

@slik @admin

Quick question: some of the sentences in loading screen or entering ports don't make much sense when translating into Spanish.  Am I allowed to change them for other sentences or do they have to stay that way even  though they won't be understood by a large majority of spanish speakers players?

1 hour ago, _Alucard_ said:

I noticed also this:

In Spanish you have to use the punctuation marks before and after the sentence, so while in English is (for instance) Hello! Hello?  in Spanish would have to be ¡Hello! ¿Hello?

https://gyazo.com/d31f1dac4218c12be67c1c95f0ee44d0

Here also, you can see the "s starting and finishing all the sentences in that menu: https://gyazo.com/d1d45ed017f8921ba4bed455f8b90d6d

In other sentences when started by (¡) you get this: https://gyazo.com/54b6ee775008e889d43f3cb563efb555

I didn’t tried, so can’t say if will work, but try to use ASCII code instead the keyboard to input the character you want. 

On 12/22/2018 at 5:30 PM, _Alucard_ said:

The font we use has issues (some symbols are not at their places, for example to render ] you need to use \ in translation file), I hope it will be fixed soon.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:38 PM, _Alucard_ said:

@slik @admin

Quick question: some of the sentences in loading screen or entering ports don't make much sense when translating into Spanish.  Am I allowed to change them for other sentences or do they have to stay that way even  though they won't be understood by a large majority of spanish speakers players?

Sure you can change them.

10 hours ago, Released Privateer said:

Today I noticed that on my pirate version the Reinforcement Battle was called "Open World Battle". I checked the game files and I actually changed the name of the Reinforcement Zone, but I don't see any errors or issues in the text itself.

What do you mean? Could you rephrase please