Game-Labs Forum

Using hostility missions to get gold, not hostility

zaba

Question

Hello captains.

Hostility missions can be used to get easy gold and xp for ship knoweldge. You can grab two L´Ocean, take a 4th rate port hostility mission and rip apart all those aggas.

My question is: with combat missions limited by ship rate, can this behavior be considered an exploit? 

12 answers to this question

I would not consider it an exploit.

Hostility missions are also open for the entire duration - so players with a mind to find someone can take advantage in taking down someone in one of those missions.

As Liq also pointed out, you can do nearly the same, if not better, by tagging OW Fleets of enormous size and the added bonus is that after 3 minutes, the battle is closed so no one can bother you.

The only problem I have are the shallow ones.  Most folks take time to knock off the deep water ones if it's a small group doing them, but I can solo the shallow ones in any 4/5th rate with  out hardly any damage.  Than flip that port and not show up.  Than it might become kinda of exploit/griefing if that starts to become a problem. We all ready had one shallow port flipped and the clan didn't show so it wasted our time as we all came and had to do the port battle to make sure no one jumped in for 30 mins.   Maybe we should have some system if this starts to become a problem where a clan that grief to much (not show to a port battle) actually can loose there ability to cause agro on a port for a set time.  Like a cool down.  As it was an issue with constant false flips with the old flag system.   We will see if this starts to be an issue though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The only problem I have are the shallow ones.  Most folks take time to knock off the deep water ones if it's a small group doing them, but I can solo the shallow ones in any 4/5th rate with  out hardly any damage.  Than flip that port and not show up.  Than it might become kinda of exploit/griefing if that starts to become a problem. We all ready had one shallow port flipped and the clan didn't show so it wasted our time as we all came and had to do the port battle to make sure no one jumped in for 30 mins.   Maybe we should have some system if this starts to become a problem where a clan that grief to much (not show to a port battle) actually can loose there ability to cause agro on a port for a set time.  Like a cool down.  As it was an issue with constant false flips with the old flag system.   We will see if this starts to be an issue though.

i agree the developers must address this as a flagged clan doing hostility( its, maybe against the other nation  clans interest, maybe you can attack them also  ) [just a sugestion]

when captured it must have also(the possibility)  to rule out also same nation clans, (for doing trade[ not rule out docking] ) you must have the ability to select only your own clan and/or  nation for doing trade ,i bet it will intensify the eager to fight over other ports

select when captured port ;

-only your own clan/ [trade]

- clan and nation /trade +docking

- trade for everyone/ trade +docking

now it is only nation/trade + docking -  and everyone/  trade + docking

smugglers can bypass it all (here the smuggler gets his meaning again [ + flagged -  (and not attackable by clan alliance [other clan]members, but if not in the [clan] alliance,... you can attack it , even, when same nation])

this can address a lot of disagreements within nation groups as well, and clarify a lot more on the map visible to everyone

also, clan alliance must have a mutual agreement on being in the alliance, now atm  that is not needed...and must be visible as a mutually  agreed status 

all and all status must, of course, be visible on the map somehow...

oeps i am walking the plank here: but it will address unnecessary griefing against ports were there is not the intention to conquer ports for a meaning to become the owner of that port (clans or members of clans needs to think twice to act... like this then)

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, admin said:

totally allowed

you can also hunt traders in a fleet of first rates :)

well i walked the plank and went overboard :) sticking my head under water 

just to (if you want to )address this issue :D

Edited by Thonys

31 minutes ago, admin said:

totally allowed

you can also hunt traders in a fleet of first rates :)

Yah I have problem with the missions and ships used.  What I"m talking about is on the old flag system if some one pulled and dropped a false flag you could go into the port battle. If no one shows by time battle start timer runs out and you exit as the defender port battle was won.   Now you have to sit in there for 30 pluss mins.  Since your defending you have to cap all circles and wait for the 1K points for battle to be over.  Defenders need a fast way to win port of attackers don't show.  Other wise this becomes an issue with folks flipping ports and not showing to tie up fleets.

We had over 30 players at Nassau last week when it was flipped by a GB clan.  They never showed, to busy helping US grind up agro on a small clan in the gulf instead.  We still had to go in and cap the circles and wait the full timer even though it was our port and defended.  We need to the auto win for defender to return if no one joins on attacker side at the start.  Maybe make it so that if no one on the attackers side joins in the first 10 mins battle is instant win for defender.  That will give fleets time to stage as we all ready have the 10 min window before points start racking up on cap circles.

• Like 2

I agree with @Sir Texas Sir here especially in regard to shallow ports.

You take one SoL you want to skill level up. Also, the number of books you’ll get from loot is large plus the GOLD. Ordinarily I’ve no issue with this technique however I do feel there should be a penalty for popping a PB then not turning up…

Am not sure how to penalize an attacker failing show though…

Norfolk.

At 200 marks and who knows how much gold for a 1st rate fleet mission - easily done by having the aforementioned 2x L'Oceans - is it really a competitive alternative?

The new thing is to go into these missions with a mortar brig and one AI ship.  You go up wind from them while they sink your AI ship (some cheap store bought ship).  They all are stuck in the wind trying to get to you as you kill them with a Mortar Brig. I have no clue what they make, but with the BR diffrence I'm going to bet it's a killing compare to doing them with like ships such as a 1st rate or two.

34 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The new thing is to go into these missions with a mortar brig and one AI ship.  You go up wind from them while they sink your AI ship (some cheap store bought ship).  They all are stuck in the wind trying to get to you as you kill them with a Mortar Brig. I have no clue what they make, but with the BR diffrence I'm going to bet it's a killing compare to doing them with like ships such as a 1st rate or two.

Hadn't heard that one. How boring that must be.

'Course then they just end up as rich, high ranking mortar marksmen.

• Like 1

@admin is right.

The hostility rules are fine. We look for them then jump in and kill or cap the loners gathering cash.

It's also a reasonable strategy to use against big nstions.

Flip the port, don't show up. It annoys the he'll out of them. Then flip and show up.....it helps out the smaller clans etc. 

If your fed up sitting at a port with no shows...dont defend it.

It's all working well, changing it will just help the big boys.

Edited by Flash Jack