Game-Labs Forum

Rules for player names ?

I am curious about peoples opinion's. What do you guys think, is instituting some sort of naming conventions to prevent "xXyOlOSwAgCAPt2002Xx" unreasonable?

?? Im lost ? Do you mean to keep a player from--- a Name that is Racist , Sexually Perverse , or just Plain Wrong ??  Sure Im all for that.....

Q  ??    Is my in game Name of CAPITAIN DUCKFART  (or DUCKPHART) going to be a Problem  :)

To keep a player from having to many letters or symbols in his name--- I am also for that...this will keep a players Name Tag from blocking the whole screen.

I am curious about peoples opinion's. What do you guys think, is instituting some sort of naming conventions to prevent "xXyOlOSwAgCAPt2002Xx" unreasonable?

Besides the normal conventions of length of name, racist, sexist and foul language it should be left to the Admins to determine on a case by case basis. Getting too specific opens up the never ending battle of loophole management.

And those sailing under the names like Captain Duckphart will have, by their choice of names, defined themselves and their attitude to the rest of the players. :P

Its like the guy walking (shuffling?) down the street with his pants hanging so low he can barely walk. Those that will take him seriously  are probably walking around with their pants down too.

• Like 4

?? Im lost ? Do you mean to keep a player from--- a Name that is Racist , Sexually Perverse , or just Plain Wrong ??  Sure Im all for that.....

Q  ??    Is my in game Name of CAPITAIN DUCKFART  (or DUCKPHART) going to be a Problem   :)

To keep a player from having to many letters or symbols in his name--- I am also for that...this will keep a players Name Tag from blocking the whole screen.

I just can't understand why you would want to name your character that.

Besides the normal conventions of length of name, racist, sexist and foul language it should be left to the Admins to determine on a case by case basis. Getting too specific opens up the never ending battle of loophole management.

And those sailing under the names like Captain Duckphart will have, by their choice of names, defined themselves and their attitude to the rest of the players. :P

Its like the guy walking (shuffling?) down the street with his pants hanging so low he can barely walk. Those that will take him seriously  are probably walking around with their pants down too.

I was talking about the people with dumb unrealistic names for instance like my name GimpyGary, not anything offensive and rule breaking. I hope the Admins ad naming conventions to each nation. Like traditional English, French, Spanish, Dutch, German names ect ect. 

I do get your point tho. 

• Like 1

In games where I believe it appropriate to have a Nation-specific name, I usually create characters that follow suit.

What will irk me more is when I see ship-names read xXxY0L0SwaGgerB@LZxXx on the Transom.  The urge the correct that name with cannon-fire will be incredibly strong...

• Like 7

what really bother my eye is whan i see the names written with ALL BIG LETTERS;)

Big letters are easy to solve. the dilemma is this

a) provide pre-defined names middle names and sirnames

b ) provide moderated self-expression. Player picks any name but GMs will moderate them based on player reports. 

What about formatting?

Upon creating the Captain's name, have three text boxes for First, Middle and Surname.

Middle name is purely optional.

All three boxes disallow Special Characters, all-Caps and Numbers, and basic repetition to avoid the XXX as well as ASCII repetition, to avoid:  ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE NA!!!

It's just a suggestion of course, and it should be taken as such.

In all of the sailing/pirate games that I have played, I've used mostly traditional names like Goatphart. No, just kidding. I have used William Gold a lot so, like... DIBBIES. A nick name, like Crab Cake Cary could be fun as well, you know, the famos pirate who forced his captives to eat crab cakes. He was from Main. I like idea of the pre-set boxes for F M L. All we can hope for is a little class from the players.

If it will have a monthly fee the playerbase will surely be maturer then if it ia f2p

It's buy once, play free forever.  Like most games used to be not so long ago.

Also, going by the forum, we'll have a mature audience for the most part.  This genre doesn't attract the casuals and twitch-kids.

• Like 1

Indeed, forums are usually mature and nice and friendly.....right up until Open Beta and Release, when they turn into a hive of scum and villains.

Elitism takes over the forum at the beginning and everyone ideas are made inline with each other, those who disagree are usually just ignored. Then the real customers come along with their opposing thoughts and differing views and they are considered "scum," but at least they throw the forum into a fair balance in a rather absurd way. -_-

My favorite was always WoT forum, so much beat down on individual players that make suggestions. ;)

Elitism takes over the forum at the beginning and everyone ideas are made inline with each other, those who disagree are usually just ignored. Then the real customers come along with their opposing thoughts and differing views and they are considered "scum," but at least they throw the forum into a fair balance in a rather absurd way. -_-

My favorite was always WoT forum, so much beat down on individual players that make suggestions. ;)

What manner of madman goes onto the WoT forums? :huh:

I've been playing for years and I've never posted a single thing on that forum, as the community really is that toxic.

However, I must disagree on your definition on "Real customers" - and heartily so.  One thing that being into niche-market games has taught me, is that your early adopters, no matter how snobbish and loud, are your real customers (aka Whales).  MWO made that mistake by trying to hold open the proverbial door for the "real customers" - and are now are sitting with an atrocious retention rate.  All their early founders they alienated?  They all spent thousands on Star Citizen in stead.

Lesson of the Day?  Be nice to your early adopters/founders.  They'll be spending money long after the casuals ship out.

Though that doesn't mean the Devs should cave into their every demand.  An open and honest "No" with a reason is more than enough for most.

What manner of madman goes onto the WoT forums? :huh:

I've been playing for years and I've never posted a single thing on that forum, as the community really is that toxic.

However, I must disagree on your definition on "Real customers" - and heartily so.  One thing that being into niche-market games has taught me, is that your early adopters, no matter how snobbish and loud, are your real customers (aka Whales).  MWO made that mistake by trying to hold open the proverbial door for the "real customers" - and are now are sitting with an atrocious retention rate.  All their early founders they alienated?  They all spent thousands on Star Citizen in stead.

Lesson of the Day?  Be nice to your early adopters/founders.  They'll be spending money long after the casuals ship out.

Though that doesn't mean the Devs should cave into their every demand.  An open and honest "No" with a reason is more than enough for most.

The other lesson you could learn from that is "selling virtual virtual spaceships can make you a sh!t ton of money."

• Like 1

What manner of madman goes onto the WoT forums?

Id have to disagree, the the realism games are the best examples to try to introduce new weapons. If youve seen games such as war thunder you might have seen the growing disgust from the elitist towards prototype aircraft and now tanks but games such as that have wonderful retention rates. Say what you want but they should be trying to get the casuals to stay and many games have successfully done so. Doesnt mean they should shut out the elitist but you would be wrong to think some casual would make the game bad.

The other lesson you could learn from that is "selling virtual virtual spaceships can make you a sh!t ton of money."

NO what is making STAR CITIZEN a butt load of money is..."Chris Roberts".....His Reputation alone has made the money.

Players Know that Chris Roberts makes great games and always strives for the best game he can make....

Lets hope the guys here will strive to make this game the best  AGE of SAIL  type game ever.....And the money will follow(word of mouth)