Game-Labs Forum

Im getting close to quitting this game.

4 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

So are you volunteering to do the hours and hours of PVE grinding it takes to set a port battle to take those ports back, and then after it's lost in the middle of the night or work day 4 days later you're volunteering to spend hours and hours grinding PVE fleets AGAIN a week later to get those ports back, and so on EVERY week until the next Wipe?  We did that PVE fleet grinding for a couple months and it pissed everyone off.  Nobody wants to do that anymore.  Grinding day after day down in Orinoco and Trinidad and up in Leewards for ports most of us never saw again, then having to counter-grind them every time the neighbors got frisky.  Actually I don't remember Jean Ribault being one of the players that put in prominent effort to get those ports in the first place, and I don't remember Jean Ribault from any of the port battles I was in?  You popped up in July or something as a trader, enjoying the ports others had acquired for you. 

Then obviously you haven't been playing enough, or just don't know how to observe before throwing accusations.  I was lord protector of at least 3 ports last year, or whatever it was called at that time.  I don't play the ALT game, I play the GAME, and so I did the port battle test.  And don't twist my words to make a weak point, you can't quote me saying the things you said I volunteered for, I never did.  Make a rational argument if you actually have one.

I quit doing RVR like...........90%+ others.  Because I don't enjoy it.  Again like 90%+ others.  So don't accuse me of not testing this game, I also believe RVR currently not good.  However there are a whole list of things that were lost in my gameplay recently with the loss of those ports.  Sit 10 minutes and think about it and you will see that.  The only valid reason to say you might(?) not need any ports if you play the ALT game.  That is a WORKAROUND, not intended gameplay.  We are trying to fix gameplay, not invent workarounds for broken gameplay.

Furthermore, someone here just quoted out of the thousands of players who bought this game, less than 2000 did any port battles.  Yes, I am one of those few, and so yes I can tell you what I'm talking about.  This conversation is for informed people.

Edited by Jean Ribault

2 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Then obviously you haven't been playing enough, or just don't know how to observe before throwing accusations.  I was lord protector of at least 3 ports last year, or whatever it was called at that time.  I don't play the ALT game, I play the GAME, and so I did the port battle test.  And don't twist my words to make a weak point, you can't quote me saying the things you said I volunteered for

I did not play the game with any seriousness until post-Wipe, and I was not in France pre-Wipe, so I am speaking of what we built as France post-Wipe which is what is relevant to the situation right now.  I wasn't saying you volunteered - I was asking IF you were volunteering, because anybody who wants to CAN make a new Team France right now to grind the PVE and win back those ports, at least on a temporary basis.  (sounds like you wouldn't be interested in that)  There are still a small handful of troopers in BORK sailing out of Fort-Royal pretty much every day, though at odd hours.  Hats off to the guys who are sticking with it in the current situation. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

28 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

I did not play the game with any seriousness until post-Wipe, and I was not in France pre-Wipe, so I am speaking of what we built as France post-Wipe which is what is relevant to the situation right now.  I wasn't saying you volunteered - I was asking IF you were volunteering, because anybody who wants to CAN make a new Team France right now to grind the PVE and win back those ports, at least on a temporary basis.  (sounds like you wouldn't be interested in that)  There are still a small handful of troopers in BORK sailing out of Fort-Royal pretty much every day, though at odd hours.  Hats off to the guys who are sticking with it in the current situation. 

Yes, hats off to whoever is keeping up with it, but personally I'm not playing the RVR game anymore.  Some are doing it for testing or ideas, others are doing it because they enjoy it, but most have just given up on that part.  I never really enjoyed it, and only did it when I had to for others I was playing with.  I play pretty much solo now, so have no need for it.  I guess the point I was making was that there are reasons to own ports even under the current configuration of the game, so basically giving them away as some form of bragging or whatever it was, is hurting some players' game.  I can make do, but it becomes really hard on new players that are stuck in the capital and getting taken advantage of.  Currently, you lose outpost capability, which includes teleport and building production, shipyards in counties outside the capital, admiralty store, etc.  There are a number of effects under the current game configuration.

Edited by Jean Ribault

On 8/21/2017 at 5:52 AM, shaeberle84 said:

We just need to re-balance pvp rewards.

Right now, rewards are only given for sunk ships (either kill or assist). If we would give rewards also for damaging (assist for 20% hull, 20% crew or 2 mast shocks), even sunk players would get some rewards (and also draw battles or people who helped capturing a ship). This would totally change the willingness to participate in PVP battles.

They need to keep the Gold and CM tied to Assist and Kills, but make the XP off damage done in battles..  To many time they little guy that helps only by shooting sails gets nothing.  If you capture a ship you get nothing.  XP for the battle should be given no matter if you capture or sink the ship.

6 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

It takes days in an empty region like Orinoco, Leewards or Windwards, though it can be done in a few hours in particularly concentrated places like Basse-Terre.  (without opposition, of course)  They're all different.

He still thinks that Pirates have some special perks or powers.  If you look at the Port battle leader board he's prob only been to one or two port battles and only been involved in that many grinds.  I been in over 20 port battles with grinding every one of those regions.   It's like that for every nation.  You get a few regions with one good fleet and than many regions that have crap for fleets. We joke about every time we go to flip a region it's like the devs turn on the Rain and than they hide all the national ships of that country.   So it's not something that is only one Nation problem it's all nations that have issues grinding regions.  Though we found out that 3 point regions tend to have better fleets.  Main econ zones with big regional ships traveling tends to have one big fleet.   Some of the off the main area regions has crap for ships.  We have to cycle a 4/5th rate with a few small ships just to put any agro on it. Bermuda was so bad we said screw it and war bombed the first 60% of it to make it go faster.  It still took us 3 hours to flip the last 40%.   What these guys don't get is when we flip a port we run with a full fleet of 15-20 guys.  We spread out to all the ports with 3-5 guys at each port of that region and we kill every thing we find or recycle them if they are good fleets.  The problem with recycle is the biggest ships that is worth the most is normally the on you have to keep alive.   

Now defense to counter grind the owner can kill any ship of that region (except there own nation).  

The reason it's taking days for some folks is they go out with a couple of guys and that is it, so it takes all day long for them.  If they want to properly flip it they need to bring a fleet pretty much like there Port Battle fleet.

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

They need to keep the Gold and CM tied to Assist and Kills, but make the XP off damage done in battles..

Is gold or XP the more important commodity out of battle for casuals and high rankers alike? Especially given the risk to be sunk.

32 minutes ago, Skully said:

Is gold or XP the more important commodity out of battle for casuals and high rankers alike? Especially given the risk to be sunk.

To level up yourself and your ship you need XP.  I'm maxed level they aren't.  If they don't get any kill's or assist but do damage right now they get nothing.  If they get xp for damage than they get something an level up.   To be honest if they want Gold/CM than they prob should be leveling up with folks there own levels.  It's faster for a low level to just come in to my missions and get xp from the mission finish than doing his own level missions, but he gets nothing for helping cause he doesn't get enough damage done to register a Kill or Assist.  

I remember when my second pirate DEAD was still Spanish and under another name.  He helped some pirates tag a Bucc while he was in a Rattler.  He spent the whole battle shooting sails while the pirates slowly caught up to the buck.   By the end of that battle they captured that bucc and actually gave it to me (they didn't know it was my alt).  Said they didn't need it so I could keep it until I level up.   I made a rank and half way through my next one off that battle cause of all the sail damage I did, but I didn't do enough damage to get an Assist or Kill.   I would of gotten nothing from that fight and that isn't fair for any one lower level that still assisted on the new system.3

• Like 1

On 21.8.2017 at 3:05 AM, racketyjack said:

You know whats great about world of tanks and other successful MMo's? Their simplicity.

I always plead for simplicity. The best games are those, which you can describe in a single sentence. Try that with the current / upcoming RVR mechnics -- this is plainly impossible. I can understand your POV but must report from my own experience that there is in fact a certain point when the gameplay turns to be fun again. After you've grinded shipyard lvl 2 and after you're able to get the main materials from outposts (this is a quite huge effort, so to speak, especially for a solo player) and you've won your first PVP match after months in a compareable cheap fir-fir surprise ... and after you've crafted a few of them so that you can sail out after being sunk without having to brood about money that much ... it's not that bad anymore ... this is really not easy to reach, but devs have told us they will change this with the next patch. Maybe it helps you a bit sharing my own experience ... stay tuned. It can only become better (hopefully) ... :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

To level up yourself and your ship you need XP.

To make that happen you first need a ship, that probably just sunk, so you would first need gold to get a new ship.

Ergo gold is the more important to get out of battle, especially if you were sunk.

And who sinks the most, and thank God and all for bringing some action? The casuals, rookies and scrubs, so they need gold first.

15 hours ago, George Washington said:

Can't agree more, half of them already moved on to other games leaving us here with their mess. 

"yes leaving us here, with their mess"

you hit the nail here with a huge hammer 

and now we must pick up the broken pieces.there is more broken in 1 day, than we can fix in a week.

10 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

I guess the point I was making was that there are reasons to own ports even under the current configuration of the game, so basically giving them away as some form of bragging or whatever it was, is hurting some players' game. 

That's a misrepresentation of what happened.  The regions weren't given away, but instead trying to keep them was not workable.  Nobody wants to center their game time in Naval Action around grinding PVE fleets to keep flipping those regions back and forth weekly.  And as far as I can tell from your previous post you aren't interested in doing that either. 

34 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

That's a misrepresentation of what happened.  The regions weren't given away, but instead trying to keep them was not workable.  Nobody wants to center their game time in Naval Action around grinding PVE fleets to keep flipping those regions back and forth weekly.  And as far as I can tell from your previous post you aren't interested in doing that either. 

No.  Not interested in flipping ports back and forth.  Why would you even suggest that anyone at all would be interested in such a thing?  We've been trying to resolve that for longer than I can remember.  I really am not interested in arguing here for arguing's sake but that's what comments like you just made are interpreted as.

I am not misrepresenting anything here.  I am one of probably less than 10 players only in this entire game that have had one character only in France only on pvp2 gone global for 18 months or more.  So I know what the history of who and what in this nation.  There are plenty of others who have played this game longer than me since sea trials, but don't presume to tell me the history of France pvp2, I already know it.  The transients in this nation have been as common as the port flipping.

Edited by Jean Ribault

On 8/21/2017 at 6:18 AM, Skully said:

We need a new rule set. Current one doesn't cut the cake. I think it is too much to say the game is killed, the current season / round however is.

The game will not recover if the next version is not rolled soon and they nail it.  At least nail it for the new and casual player.

Every topic here turns to people throwing out ways to force people to PvP to feed the old hands.  That is the problem.  Let people have fun and ease into war.p

Honestly, unless you reward people for losing, you don't need any PvP rewards (as many suggest).  Rewarding people for losing is silly on it's face. People who like PvP will do it for free.

Edited by IndianaGeoff

1 hour ago, springby said:

impact on NA is just greater because the initial population wasnt very high to start with.

That just means the mechanics don't scale down properly. In its most extreme it should be possible for 2 players to play the game, like chess. When that is possible the trend can only go up. :D

• Like 1

The very sane and totally legit question is: "Is this game fun and do I feel rewarded after having played it."

If No, it's a bad game and  one is totally entitled not to play it. 

Right now, my sheer curiosity leaves me involved. But is NA fun and rewarding for me? No. Maybe once in a while against the AI. 

It is beautifully made though and I think the battle mechanics are excellent, the potential for a classic is totally there. 

Edited by Jean de la Rochelle
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

The very sane and totally legit question is: "Is this game fun and do I feel rewarded after having played it."

If No, it's a bad game and  one is totally entitled not to play it. 

Right now, my sheer curiosity leaves me involved. But is NA fun and rewarding for me? No. Maybe once in a while against the AI. 

It is beautifully made though and I think the battle mechanics are excellent, the potential for a classic is totally there. 

Yes I keep playing out of curiosity for the changes that keep happening, and also because the basic concept is still fun.  But just to throw a number at this being a rewarding game, I would probably feel like it was 10 times more rewarding if there were simply a career path and an end game.  We're just weeds blowing in the wind, no aim, no goals, and no real milestones other than XP leveling up, which comes to a somewhat unsatisfying end.  I agree with your sentiments entirely.

• Like 1

One durability ship is not a problem. The problem is Devs to have keep almost the same ressources needed per ship as before althought the ship has only one durability.

If they would have divided the resources needed per Dura no problem. The problem you get is that.

Now and tbh, it's not a problem for group of people. Problem in eco are just farming mark

• Like 2

On 8/26/2017 at 4:19 PM, IndianaGeoff said:

Every topic here turns to people throwing out ways to force people to PvP to feed the old hands.  That is the problem.  Let people have fun and ease into war.p

The problem with PvP is that it's usually so lopsided.  I'd sail a frigate out and do PvP regularly if it wasn't for the fact that instead of a decent battle I expect to run into overwhelming numbers and/or larger ships and be deleted very quickly for someone else's cheap LOLs and juvenile heckling.  So instead I keep my ships safe in port, saved up for the one time every other week when I can manage to play when there's a group activity going on.  

• Like 2