Game-Labs Forum

Server Health is a Game Design Issue

On 15.8.2017 at 8:54 PM, admin said:

But again.. i will use @Tenet phrase and say one thing. As it seemed the topic moved on from what we want to address. 

Perhaps its time community lift their ass from the chairs if they want NA to continue to be developed. As we see a strange mechanic.
People who ARE SUPPOSEDLY interested in the game stay silent - while some really upset people run around and TAKE time shitting in positive reviews
like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198251680420/recommended/311310/
0 of users found it helpful.. you know why? because haters actually spend time and down vote positive reviews. 
Sometimes they takedown positive reviews as breaking community standards. 
Yet 67% of players still like it. The negative voice is overwhelming just because it is louder.

Where is our community here?

Its a two way street. We want to see community do something about it. Otherwise this is not a community - its just consumers vs a seller. relationship and we should change our ways accordingly. bringing real fans closer but sending all consumers to steam to read news and announcements and occasional mod messages. 

well about the down voted good reviews, you probably remember what happened to the sorry guys in that port battle, i tell you not 5 min after rank reset LV and the other Officers response was all go down vote game on steam complain too steam post bad reviews and the icing on the cake was that LV him self wanted to break the game for every one else.

atleast some people know the truth about why there is so many bad reviews and its not because its a bad game.

I'm not sure if this is germane here really, but I miss the OW PvP event. I don't think the fountain of ship notes that came out of it was good, but the opportunity to get BPs and Paints from prevailing or struggling mightily in PvP combat really appealed to me.

For a time on Global server, anyone was able to go out to the event, sit with their nation, and wait for other groups to show. Then we would work out over chat what a good match-up would be between groups. This was all player-created content, driven by the fact that there was a big event circle on the map and a few nice prizes you could win. It was vastly preferable to Small Battles since you could have uneven teams and any class of ship (plus we could avoid the dread captain Blood).

People came out for that event who I rarely saw otherwise; perhaps we can re-incorporate this? I enjoyed the challenge of fair arranged fights and the thrill of getting possibly caught out by a larger force that was not trying to arrange a fight so much as force one upon you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hodo said:

What You See Is What You Get- WYSIWYG.

If I were to tag a Constitution, with no one else on the horizon, it should be ME and that Connie in a fight.  Not me and the Connie, and everyone who just happens to sail by at a 75X compression speed rate.   

I think this is a good sentiment personally. I think we are close, and just need to tweak some timers to make it "feel good". For example, the can't join/attack timer should be longer than the battle is open + 1 min. This prevents the battle hiding/port hiding -> ambush that I don't think anyone is a fan of. The hidden force would necessarily need to make themselves visible before the tag starts in order to join the new battle.

I think there does need to be a short time in which people can join the battle by sailing up, I did not enjoy the giant instant tag circle pulling everyone, their mother, and the 6 AI fleets visible. EDIT: perhaps the new battlegroup system has solved this problem, and a large instant join deserves another consideration?

Another problem in my book is the double circle joining & super speed you get from tagging an AI fleet. Why does engaging an additional force allow you to escape very effectively from the one chasing you? OW AI fleet engagements should have the same join conditions and battle-end protections as missions.

Edited by Doug Maoz
second thoughts given new mechanic interactions
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

well about the down voted good reviews, you probably remember what happened to the sorry guys in that port battle, i tell you not 5 min after rank reset LV and the other Officers response was all go down vote game on steam complain too steam post bad reviews and the icing on the cake was that LV him self wanted to break the game for every one else.

atleast some people know the truth about why there is so many bad reviews and its not because its a bad game.

Do you even think before you right? Because if you think, you would come to the conclusion: A. In that Portbattle were 25 players in that got demoted, if everybody has like one alt together with his main account, that are 50 reviews they can write about that game. Compare that to the 2911 reviews in total... not that much of a deal i would say. B. Since when has LV ever done anything of matter? Do you really believe he's mighty enough to 'crush' a game? C. Did they all write bad reviews? Have you prove? D. the game is bad and thats why we have bad reviews.

5 hours ago, Doug Maoz said:

I'm not sure if this is germane here really, but I miss the OW PvP event. I don't think the fountain of ship notes that came out of it was good, but the opportunity to get BPs and Paints from prevailing or struggling mightily in PvP combat really appealed to me.

The idea was generally good. One thing that you liked destroyed it: The BPs you could get from it. They were the reason players tried to cheat and killed their alt just to get the chance of getting the VERY IMPORTANT PB-SHIPS BLUEPRINTS! Its never a good idea to give important meta items through rng or events, we still suffer from that. Paints would have been enough to reward the players to come out and seek for a good fight. Wouldn't have been gamebreaking, but what we got was just a stupid idea. 

On 8/17/2017 at 6:23 PM, Blackjack Morgan said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/do-games-have-enough-respect-for-your-spare-time

Interesting article on pcgamer if you have not had a chance to read it.....

Seriously good article.

I was closing in on 10,000 hours in NA (yea TEN THOUSAND) over three accounts before I quit.

I estimate that about 400 - 600 were absolutely thrilling to me and about 4000 - 6000 were absolutely dull ass boring. I think a 1 to 10 ratio just plain sucks.

------

Perhaps this is a statistic the Dev's should watch - not how many ships each player is NOT using ......

A little toggle on the screen --- I'm happy/////I'm only doing this because you make me.

#servermerge #servermerge #servermerge #servermerge #servermerge #servermerge

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, Tenet said:

P.S. The Red Duke - 

You sail in Surprise / Reno / Cerb

As this new character acts as a French privateer I did my own house rules line up :) Has nothing to do with what or what I can't do or understand. I do not powerplay when I am playing in earnest, I roleplay. The renomee has a reason to be there, in our storyline, same as the Cerb and the Pickle and the Privateer, oh and the captured Cherubims. Alas there was one ship that was totally out of place, the Aggamemnon... once :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 8/14/2017 at 9:54 AM, admin said:

We are trying and trying hard to fix problems and experiment/experiment/experiment… 
yet when new people ask - should they get this game - they get this in response

http://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/discussions/1/1471967615873119233/

Its hard to bring new users when there is not a single positive voice on steam. How can you increase online when every answer to the question - "should i get it" - is "NO"?

It's hard to make a single positive voice when there are a lot of reasons not to do that!

at least we can cap 1st rates now and have an option to save some time this way, but there are still a lot of flaws!

Edited by Captain2Strong
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saryk said:

I'm not done reding the entire thread, but I find it unbelievable that some suggestions currently being discussed on the forums appear here, dating back to 2017. 

Makes one wonder if there is a point in voicing them to the devs, as those are clearly good and needed ideas and seem to be disregarded. Why, @admin, why ?

Some suggestions from the forums have been instituted.  Many that most of us like, have not been used.  It's not realistic for us to assume that the devs will just slavishly follow our demands, but to be honest, if they only listened to me, the game would be great!..  I laugh at the changes that have been put in place (that we asked for) that then get severely criticised. 

• Like 1