Game-Labs Forum

PvP1 versus PvP2 Performance

Over the past 3-4 weeks, I've been playing most of my time on PvP1.  I'm in the eastern USA and see an average ping of 120-140 on the EU server versus 40 for the ping into PvP2 server.  For OW 140 ping is not an issue,   However, in larger PvP battles, or where there are large fleets of player ships, the game performance drops off so much it is just unplayable.

With 1:1 PvP there's no issue, but in the recent British versus French battles - Trinidad and others, I was pulled into multiple 20+ player battles and in the last couple of battles, it took a full 40 seconds just to get into the battle, and the game was constantly freezing.  During this time, my ping was fine - it stayed in the 140 range - but I was losing control of the ship for 2-3 seconds at a time - and when I did fire a broadside, it missed by several ship lengths....  not good.  I also noticed a similar, but lesser issue, with larger fleet missions where there were 15+ ships in battle.

Then I jumped back onto PvP2 and ran a number of fleet missions yesterday - no problem at all.  So there seems to be a lag/latency issue with battles when the ping is higher.

This problem seems to have increased with some of the recent patches.  Going back a couple of months, I was in larger battles on PvP1 and never had any issue. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? 

Edited by ElricTheTwo
  • Like 1

I switched from PvP2 to PvP1, my ping is usually in the 98-120 range, however, once in a while I get lag spikes and lose control of my ship.  It has only cost me a ship in 1 engagement so far.  It is annoying however. 

When PvP2 picks back up, I will probably make the switch back to that server.

Even though I play mostly on PvP1 now, I think it would be a huge mistake if the developers decide to try and merge the 2 PvP servers.  Let the Americans have their own servers.  When the game gains more popularity due to dev's fixing broken mechanics in this game and add lots of good quality content to the game, I am sure the servers will pick back up with lots of players.  At last that's my hope. 

Edited by Yar Matey
  • Like 1

I'm central US, have a higher ping, and don't have this issue.  Increased loading times has nothing to do with ping, but everything to do with computer configuration, especially when you say it is especially noticeable in 20+ large ship battles.  The random lag spikes I have received have either been from my connection (affecting everything, not just NA) or when the server is acting up and affecting everybody, not just me or US players.  What is your fps during these battles?

37 minutes ago, Prater said:

I'm central US, have a higher ping, and don't have this issue.  Increased loading times has nothing to do with ping, but everything to do with computer configuration, especially when you say it is especially noticeable in 20+ large ship battles.  The random lag spikes I have received have either been from my connection (affecting everything, not just NA) or when the server is acting up and affecting everybody, not just me or US players.  What is your fps during these battles?

My FPS is fairly low - 15-18 - so I have reduced all the graphics impacting that I can.  The issue is just on PvP1 - I see none of the same issue on PvP2 - although it is very rare to see that many big battles on PvP2...  but in the last PB with 15+ players, I never had any performance issues on PvP2.  15+ in a battle on PvP1 and my battles just slow way down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ElricTheTwo said:

My FPS is fairly low - 15-18 - so I have reduced all the graphics impacting that I can.  The issue is just on PvP1 - I see none of the same issue on PvP2 - although it is very rare to see that many big battles on PvP2...  but in the last PB with 15+ players, I never had any performance issues on PvP2.  15+ in a battle on PvP1 and my battles just slow way down.

My FPS went up from 40-45 to 48-52 when I played on PvP2

43 minutes ago, Prater said:

3 minutes ago, ElricTheTwo said:

I've had the same issues, also in US EST when playing on PvP1. Oddly, it happens every time in human battles on PvP1, yet only about half the time does it happen in missions on PvP1. So, the more players in battles, the worse it is. PvP2 I rarely have issues, and when I do, it is always due to household or weather interruptions. I just cannot foresee me surviving on the Euro server unless they move it to a neutral location that has no packet filtering, i.e. Greenland or Bermuda, etc.

FPS has nothing to do with ping, and has nothing to do with server.  It has to do how your computer is loading the game and especially the graphics.  My matches load instantaneously, unless I am running on a virtual desktop (ie, it isn't using all of my computer's available resources but that which I have made available, and in these cases takes 20-40 seconds to load).  Is there anyone in the US who plays on pvp1 regularly that has the same issue?

Edited by Prater

1 hour ago, Prater said:

FPS has nothing to do with ping, and has nothing to do with server.  It has to do how your computer is loading the game and especially the graphics.  My matches load instantaneously, unless I am running on a virtual desktop (ie, it isn't using all of my computer's available resources but that which I have made available, and in these cases takes 20-40 seconds to load).  Is there anyone in the US who plays on pvp1 regularly that has the same issue?

Lag/ping has little to no connection with FPS and that is correct, but i get no change on my FPS from PvP2 to PvP1.  I get about the same in main OW 60 FPS with about a drop to 14 FPS if every one and there mother is firing cannons in large battles.  Now ping has every thing to do with lag and longer load screens.   That is not my computer that is taking longer, it's the data taking longer to get from me and the server.   On PvP2 I get about average 50-68 ping most the time in game.  This is a little higher than what I get in other games that have way more players than we do (I'm talking in the thousands) where I normally get morel like 30-40 ping.   While on PvP1 I get around 130-140 ping.  With some really bad spikes of 400-800 from time to time.  It's kinda what folks are explaining above.  On other larger games I get around 60-85 ping on EU servers and around 120 on SEA/AUS servers.  So with a game with such low pop why are the pings so freaking bad and the game isn't really that big content wise compared to other games.  I really think and this might be a issue with budget, but they prob could find a better server provider that can handle the numbers we have now and hopefully more in the future and not have so many issues.  Just think how bad it's going to be be with say a couple thousand folks logged on to either server instead of a few hundred?

I been watching a lot of videos I can find of players on PvP1 and notice a lot of the EU guys got pings as low as 20-30 so either they live very close or they get a really good connection there.  It seems the server has a bad routing for most players not in EU and it's why we get the bad spikes.  I'm sorry if you say ping doesn't matter than I brough up a recent video where Jehil dueled Olg and you can compare there pings and watch the difference when tehy fire.  One is almost instant fire after he does so and the other has a 1-2 seconds delay.  This is cause of ping.  While this isn't a twitch shooter, that still means you could of lost those leak shots (into a wave) or missed the mast if your trying to do any careful aimed shots.  If they where to ever merg the servers they need to find a spot that is more central for all players or they will really loose many more players than they would gain form the merger.

Honestly I'm fine with the current small servers as we are here to test thigns, but they need to fix other things like the time to cap in Port batles when no one fights or sink.   The fact US players can not play any Port Battles during their prime time.  We have an PvE event right after Port Battles are cut off from being able to start at night.  Your forcing a lot of players to not be able to play cause of this on both servers.   Pirates still don't have there own mechanics.  There are still a lot of other thigns that need tweeks too.

• Like 1

Your FPS has nothing to do with your ping and everything to do with your computer's performance as previously stated.  For reference, I can run multiple instances of the game.  2 at 60FPS each or 3 with 1 at 60 and 2 at 30.  I usually scale the graphics down if doing more than 2.  For some reason this game never peaks above 90 FPS for me on one client, but I think that's just the game as my box is extremely spec'd out.  As a US player I usually get 120 ping.    

In large battles, in particular 1st rate ships I get minor delays mostly on the server side of things.   25v25 in a densely packed 1st rate battle it seems like everyone has a minor delay regardless of where they live.  I don't think GameLabs is running primo hardware on their end.  I'm told back when the servers would see 2000 people a night that there would sometimes be 30mins queues, which is rather pathetic.  The delays i've seen in the big battles are only graphical as the shots would all hit, but represent themselves on the screen a second or so after shooting.  On multiple occasions I've seen a number of US players have routing issues to wherever the PVP1 servers are, which also leads me to believe that gamelabs is renting out some 2nd rate gear from some not very good providers.  Using a VPN which fix whatever routing issues those players had at the time. 

Ping isn't always the end all be all of gaming, you can have 70fps with terrible packet loss and it would be worse than being on a 200ping server.  For the purposes of Naval Action 120 ping is fine, 95% of our gameplay doesn't require twitch movement and I'm fine with the occasional rubberbanding on OW if it means I get to play with more than 30 people a night.  

Edited by Christendom

30 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Now ping has every thing to do with lag and longer load screens.   That is not my computer that is taking longer, it's the data taking longer to get from me and the server.   On PvP2 I get about average 50-68 ping most the time in game.  This is a little higher than what I get in other games that have way more players than we do (I'm talking in the thousands) where I normally get morel like 30-40 ping.   While on PvP1 I get around 130-140 ping.  

If that were the case, then I would have longer loading times since I have a higher ping, no?

WvHK0R3.jpg

Now where ping comes into play for me is crafting.  There the delay is extreme.

Edited by Prater

6 hours ago, Prater said:

If that were the case, then I would have longer loading times since I have a higher ping, no?

WvHK0R3.jpg

Now where ping comes into play for me is crafting.  There the delay is extreme.

But you forget ping isn't every thing, you have packet lost and such that takes play too.  You might think you have one ping and then do  a trace route and find out your getting packet lost on the way.  Kind wish I knew the IP of the server for each game to do a trace to see if there is a reason for lost/spikes on one and not the other.  It might be bottle necking some where on our side or it could b on EU side or it could be multi places.   I got fairly good connection for most games and I'm central, but the US server on East coast of US seems to have one of the worse pings I have had in US games I have played. Not a recent pick, but it's pretty much what I average.  

Gy4i6ku.jpg

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 2

I'm not the one who is saying ping is everything.  That it isn't everything is the point I am arguing.  If it was, as some people are saying, my loading times would not be almost instantaneous.  Anyway, if you do a tracert, you very might see that the issue is your isp.  IPs are in the logs.

Also on the US East coast and usually get about 120 ping. Sometimes I see 158ms ping on the loading screen but in game it can go down as low as 110ms. Only have lag in 25 v 25 PB especially SoL battles. I get lag spikes when people join battle as well. Hadn't thought about crafting but now that I think about it sometimes it is a long wait to finish the items once I hit the button.

For it to be the local ISP, the problem would then be consistent between PvP1 and PvP2 - but it is not.  It has been incredibly rare for me to see performance issues on PvP2.  Any larger battle or even in OW when there are 100+ ships screening for a PB the performance goes to crap.

It is not just in the battle but getting into battle.  When you start a new battle, you have a short wait until the battle starts.  During that time you can change the shot to chain so when you have 'Prepared' as an office perk, you start the battle with that loaded...  We'll on PvP1, I NEVER get to change the shot before a battle commences - PvP or PvE.  Worse, in many cases, the battle has already commenced.  I'm not talking 1-2 seconds, but 10-20 seconds - and in some cases 40+ seconds.  Not only have my opponents already emptied their first salvo into my ship, but I'm not moving and just a sitting duck for they next broadside.  One battle against the French I was down 200 men before I could even start playing....

Edited by ElricTheTwo
  • Like 1

Ya, and I never have that issue except if I am running on a virtual, which means I am not running at my full resources and it is running in its own box.  That is the only time I miss the pre battle countdown.  If I am running from my normal windows install, 4790k 16gb ram 980 ti I have no problems loading every battle within 5 seconds.  I run between 140-160 ping.

For it to be the local ISP, the problem would then be consistent between PvP1 and PvP2

Not necessarily.

I get lag spikes when people join battle as well.

This is how it has always been in OW. 

May 26, 2015 video.  Watch the Reporter section in the middle of the screen.  When someone joins it creates an issue and attaches the files.  That is what causes the lag, just like when you submit an f11, but this doesn't seem to send much and doesn't take as long.

Edited by Prater

Hodo, actually, that may be the difference for me at least, and I can't believe I didn't think of that.  Naval Action runs on my solid state (all my other games are on my hdd).  My virtual setup uses my hdd instead of my ssd.  Though, it still doesn't explain why they have issues switching from one server to the other.

Edited by Prater

I have a conventional Hard Drive - not solid state.  I've certainly considered this PC being an issue - it's not real old, 64-bit, 8 GB of memory.  I hadn't considered the HD, so I will investigate that.

I've not had any issues before running other graphics intense games (like Diablo 3).  In fact with D3, I would get similar response times to their USA server from their EU server

13 hours ago, Prater said:

I'm not the one who is saying ping is everything.  That it isn't everything is the point I am arguing.  If it was, as some people are saying, my loading times would not be almost instantaneous.  Anyway, if you do a tracert, you very might see that the issue is your isp.  IPs are in the logs.

9 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

For it to be the local ISP, the problem would then be consistent between PvP1 and PvP2 - but it is not.  It has been incredibly rare for me to see performance issues on PvP2.  Any larger battle or even in OW when there are 100+ ships screening for a PB the performance goes to crap.

It is not just in the battle but getting into battle.  When you start a new battle, you have a short wait until the battle starts.  During that time you can change the shot to chain so when you have 'Prepared' as an office perk, you start the battle with that loaded...  We'll on PvP1, I NEVER get to change the shot before a battle commences - PvP or PvE.  Worse, in many cases, the battle has already commenced.  I'm not talking 1-2 seconds, but 10-20 seconds - and in some cases 40+ seconds.  Not only have my opponents already emptied their first salvo into my ship, but I'm not moving and just a sitting duck for they next broadside.  One battle against the French I was down 200 men before I could even start playing....

As Elric stated if this is an issue for more than one and not on both servers it's not my ISP.  It will be something between me and it or should I say us and it cause that means others are haveing the same bottle neck some where.  With the server for EU being in Germany (last I heard) it couldn't be something we have to go through once we get to the EU area of the world to get to that server.  While it might be great for the local players in that part of the EU but it isn't for any one that is off continent.  We have some guys on PvP2 that get ping of 20 and they live right in the area of the US server (think it's around NY area or something).   Those same guys tend to be the folks with the better pings on the EU server too.   Which makes since cause the closer you are to a server the better the ping SHOULD be.

Though Hobo bring sup a good point of moving them to a better location.  I still think they are using sub par servers cause they are having this much issues with about 100-500 players think of how bad it would be if they had 1000+ on both servers all the time.  Any one remember the lag and issues logging in before the Mirroroed EU server and that was back when it had a large constant player numbers.    This isn't a big issue while your just doing Alpha testing, but any time in the future of a release planned it needs to be fixed or updated.

• Like 1

Well we know this is due to the server set up/location. PVP2 is set up for US connections and PVP1 is not. I believe this subject is part of the delay in combining the to servers. 

I'm US East Coast, however I don't seem to have much of any lag on PVP1. I can only really think of 1 or two times it's had any impact. I may be lucky on that front. 

All that said, how much can they afford to do to insure both US and EU players have good pings? Is increasing the bandwidth, changing the location, or even a basic server upgrade an option to them? 

PS. For any former WWII Online players "By more ram!"

Edited by Daguse
  • Like 1