Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action isn´t on the Steam Sales? Why?

Since a few months we´re suffering the lack of players in this game, Christmas is the perfect moment to solve this. How: reducing the prize of NA for two weeks.This would attract new people to the game and make it funnier and active again.

I personally expected that, but when I saw that NA wasn´t on the Steam Sales, I said: WTF?

I dunno if you think the same but I think NA has lost a big chance to be great again.

Edited by Pablo Frias
  • Like 3

Putting Naval Action on steam sales right now is like pouring water in a bucket full of holes :P

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/hand-pouring-water-in-a-leaking-bucket-picture-id86060367?s=170667a

Basically, there is a lot of holes in NA right now. Devs need to plug those holes before Naval Action going on sale. 

Forexample: UI, while we all know it is something that will be fixed before Release, it is one of the biggest complaints among new players. 
Another example: Steep Learning curve and no tutorials. Alot of new players will quit before they have had a chance to understand all the mechanics of the game. 

Afaik this is the main reason. :D

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

Putting Naval Action on steam sales right now is like pouring water in a bucket full of holes :P

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/hand-pouring-water-in-a-leaking-bucket-picture-id86060367?s=170667a

Basically, there is a lot of holes in NA right now. Devs need to plug those holes before Naval Action going on sale. 

Forexample: UI, while we all know it is something that will be fixed before Release, it is one of the biggest complaints among new players. 
Another example: Steep Learning curve and no tutorials. Alot of new players will quit before they have had a chance to understand all the mechanics of the game. 

Afaik this is the main reason. :D

Completely agree but if new players don´t come to the game, NA will die before the final release.

It´s a huge dilemma, but atm NA needs players.

Edited by Pablo Frias

1 hour ago, sruPL said:

With small population there will be nothing to test.

Event engine: testable

RVR: testable (PB are still full, right? Even on PVP2 there is RVR.)

PVP: testable, due to events and nature of the game.

Crafting: testable

Bugs: testable (F11 ftw)

I don't really see the problem. All I see is a game with a dedicated hard core that contributes to its development.

• Like 1

If this game would just have like a steady 1000 players on the server, that would just beat any update the devs could ever come up with. Lets hope we slowly increase the population rate to keep it interesting till release, and after release have servers filled to the brim.

On 12/25/2016 at 6:03 PM, Kloothommel said:

Event engine: testable

RVR: testable (PB are still full, right? Even on PVP2 there is RVR.)

PVP: testable, due to events and nature of the game.

Crafting: testable

Bugs: testable (F11 ftw)

I don't really see the problem. All I see is a game with a dedicated hard core that contributes to its development.

RVR on PvP2?  LOL you got to be joking right?   US/BRIT/DUTCH are all in alliance with each other and they are the three biggest nations.  No one is fighting each other.  We pirates kicked them back from trying to take kids and tried to flip two regions they took from us (we took them at start from france and spain) and they all freaked out and allinged.  The system is broken.  They can't fight each other and con't do the PvP event.  Cause no one can fight each other if no Pirates show up.  Dans are off hour and doing there own thing (they don't have the numbers they have).  US just took the two econ ports France have cause of every one wanting to kill on little group of Swedes that alligned with them.   Spain well...poor poor poor spain I don't think has even showed up to a port battle with more than 1-2 players.  Every one spends there war on them so they don't have to war with each other.  They have three regions.   Yah there is no RvR.  It's dead on there other than the PvP event zone and the devs need to something before PvP1 ends up the same way with super alliances.

But I agree we don't need more numbers to test things.  We need to keep the current players and the current mechanics aren't helping that.  To much grind to get RvR.  You can't find any one doing hostility missions cause they close to fast.    PvP2 can't even do port battles during it's own prime time cause of the port battle set timers are way off from what they use to be and they don't even cover PvP2 prime time.   Funny we have a PvP event during our prime time  but we can't do RvR PB at all.  Most of west coast isn't even home yet so can't play.  That is a 1/3 of your us base that can't even do port battles.   Many things need to be fixed and tweeked before we try to get new players.

• Like 3

I disagree. If you want to test how a full bucket will react to changes to the mechanics you cant test that with 20% of the numbers. For example a slow hostility would probably work quite well at 1000 players as enough sailors are available on either side to create PvP. 200-600 however - the Carribbean is too big for low numbers to fight each other outside of lobbies. Fair fights are even less likely then. 10vs1 does not help anybody test anything apart from - stop ganking(updates got nerfed because of the gankers overpowered ships but in the end that destroyed them for general purpose and ganking stll is a thing).

Edited by JollyRoger1516

I also agree with Jolly that with a 1000 or more players the hostility raising might need to be slowed down, we can only test this now where everyone is nearly top rank and has a ton of ships to do it, where on release it'll take a while until the full population is engaging in RvR.

Option might be, a month before release, to "copy" the PvP2 accounts to PvP1. So they keep their stuff on PvP2 and have the same stuff on PvP1, so we might get slightly higher population on PvP1 without having to "merge" the servers.

Maybe for now the devs need to put some exact dates forward on possible "wipes" cause, I haven't read anything about wipes, aside from a possible wipe related to a new crafting, still I hear people talking about wipes all the time and I think some people just don't want to play until they do the ship wipe, which some believe will come in January... If the devs could debunk this with an official statement it might bring people back for now.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:08 PM, sruPL said:

Do you know how many empty Port Battles there have been lately? Because of time or number of Port Battles. Do you know that no one wants to command Port Battles? Do you know that there are barely any players for Port Battles? Now considering how screening fleets are important, this will happen even more often... 

PvP2 is MUCH worse...

Yesterday on PvP2, I participated in 3 PB's.  The first was at Castries with the Swedes against the Pirates.  The Swedes had two players, the French one (me) - we abandoned after at least 6-7 Pirates showed up.  The second was at La Bahia.  It was the French navy (me) against 6 USA players We (I) lost, but I did succeed in capping a mortar brig and surviving in my H Rattlesnake).  The last was New Orleans where there were 15 USA players against just me (we (I) lost - but escaped the battle on a capped reno). 

Sadly, we've had 4-5 new French players in the past month.  But when they get ganked by Pirates or see their outposts evaporate, they lose interest and don't come back.  It is difficult to take new players under your wing when there is nothing to offer them...  All they see is overwhelming US/GB/Dutch forces against puny French and Swedish forces.  So at this point, until the game is ready for full release and a wipe, I think it would be foolish to pull more people in only to immediately lose them. 

I'll get back on my soapbox again - we need a full wipe.  You cannot expect new players to stick around playing against experienced players if those experienced players also have other advantages (retaining XP levels, etc).  Start everyone out afresh.

Edited by ElricTheTwo
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

I'll get back on my soapbox again - we need a full wipe.  You cannot expect new players to stick around playing against experienced players if those experienced players also have other advantages (retaining XP levels, etc).  Start everyone out afresh.

I wouldn't say a full wipe.  Though a lot of folks has way to much mats and gold to really tell how the econ works.  They should prob clean every one before beta to test that out properly.    Though to many folks forget this is a Alpha Test stage and they really should be doing a lot more wipes.

On 12/27/2016 at 2:45 AM, The Spud said:

I also agree with Jolly that with a 1000 or more players the hostility raising might need to be slowed down, we can only test this now where everyone is nearly top rank and has a ton of ships to do it, where on release it'll take a while until the full population is engaging in RvR.

Option might be, a month before release, to "copy" the PvP2 accounts to PvP1. So they keep their stuff on PvP2 and have the same stuff on PvP1, so we might get slightly higher population on PvP1 without having to "merge" the servers.

Maybe for now the devs need to put some exact dates forward on possible "wipes" cause, I haven't read anything about wipes, aside from a possible wipe related to a new crafting, still I hear people talking about wipes all the time and I think some people just don't want to play until they do the ship wipe, which some believe will come in January... If the devs could debunk this with an official statement it might bring people back for now.

They need to fix the servers first before they do that.  PvE should be shut down and merged with either servers as it's really just a waist of resources right now when this is only testing stage.  Bring it back when there are more players or the game goes live.   They need to move the server to a better location for a global player base if they are going to go with one server.   I don't think folks have a problem doing a merger into one server (PvP2 into PvP1) it's the issue of server location and ping for many players.  Specially West Coast US and the SEA/AUSS players.   I played on many EU servers in other games and I hate to say it this is the worse ping I have had on one from my location compared to big named games with 1000's of players.   When we split the EU server cause of player pop it was so laggy I switched to US server and the smaller pop and stayed.   I got a feeling if they don't fix the server issues if this game ever goes live and gets a large numbers it wouldn't be able to handle those numbers if it couldn't handle them very effective a while back.  Merging the servers now without fixing those iusses will run off more players than folks think it would increase the populations.  Not to mention the issues we have on PvP2 are issues that PvP1 will be seeing sooner or later as the population gets smaller and smaller so having the two servers kinda works out as you are testing kinda a large pop and low pop of the game.   Just now both servers are getting to be in the low pop range.

12 hours ago, Rhodry Heidenrich said:

Good to see (and by good, I mean shitty as fneb) that the status quo on PvP2 hasn't changed. Guess I'll keep lurking on the forums to watch game "progression".

You should pop in more, we miss you man.   It's hard fighting the three biggest nations with like 5-10 guys and 10 is pushing it.  Even though they seem to think we have 100 players or something...lol