Game-Labs Forum

9 hours ago, Hodo said:

Here is the thing.  People are getting tired of either losing ports to "night" flips. (EU players) or they are getting tired of not getting the ability to fight a port battle.  (US/AUS)

It doesnt matter what server they are on, PVP1EU or PVP2US.   The problem is the port battle restriction time is the same between the servers.  

If they adjusted the RVR restriction timer 4 hours on the PVP2US server more US/AUS players would be there.   And PVP1EU would be dead because 1/3rd of the population would leave in hopes of actually getting Port battles.  

While the timer blocker is indeed a dumb implementation for a 'global' server, how does staging even more PBs at those hours resolve any of the underlying problems? Will it provide any willingness for people to provide opposition? Because at the moment the only guys who bother to show up are random ragtag groups of whomever can be even be bothered with it at all after the organized groups got sick and tired of it. And who knows how long before even those guys get fed up.

With properly localized servers instead of these semi-global ones, port battle time restrictions, events, server location and maintenance schedules could be tailored for its locale instead of always trampling someone on the toes and whichever side that wants to do RvR would be very likely to find willing and able opposition. Remember that even if there's a population drop, there's still limited interaction between the different timezones, so how different would it really be from what it is like right now? I don't believe for a second that 'PvP1 will die because of it', nor that it's the excuse for not doing it.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, tonyxyx said:

You guys are right,aliiances are the way to go.Port battle for Georgetown today proved it.Now try walking in Pirates shoes...

I feel like being pirate now its a death sentence,regarding port battles.

Are you a pirate or a pirate national?

• Like 1

On 21.12.2016 at 4:04 PM, Kloothommel said:

@Archaos, I kinda agree on some, but strongly disagree wth other of your points.

I agree, respawning from port makes screening ridiculously easy for the defender. Combine that with large numers and it's unwinnable.

larger numbers issue: I disagree. The larger populated nations shouldn't win by defacto because they have more players. That would just result in small nations remaining small because of the demotivating zerg fleets stacked against you time after time again.

And even if your nation is 3x the size, you are bound to run out of opponents beacause there aren't any left on the other side to place against them.

Explained.

6 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Are you a pirate or a pirate national?

I wanted to be a pirate,i wanted different mechanics for pirates but there are none.Pirates can conquest/lose ports but atm its clear that alliances are the way to go to get the job done.Alliances that pirates can t have.Do you need a drawing to understand this?

The argument for pirate allies is the same as why are any nation allowed allies. It's not very historic is it

(that was tongue in cheak before I'm attacked- you know who I'm on about)

This is my view/opinion and in no way the views of my nation** this is getting boring saying this with each post!!

On 12/22/2016 at 9:37 AM, monk33y said:

This wont be a popular comment from and reformed ex pirate and now British captain, but the brits should not be allowed any allies! Once a nations population gets above 30% of server population it should loose the ability to get any allies but instead one neutral nation (use ports Only). As a superpower there should be a bonus but this two allies feature is just crap (lazy Dev work in my honest opinion)

There may be merits to such a system of balancing but it needs caution as how do you determine the real population of a nation? How many of them are alts? How many are active PvP'ers (someone already reckoned in another thread that 75% of PvP'ers are in smaller nations). Would such a system be open to griefing? Even if such a system was introduced how would it prevent artificial non-aggression pacts as used to happen before the alliance system was introduced? 

On one hand we seem to have people looking for balance between small and large nations and yet we still have others asking for more nations to be introduced like Russia and Portugal. So divide the population up even more and have more smaller nations!!!!! How about 4 or 5 people get together and form a nation and lets balance all the game around the size of that nation. 

Maybe if a nation cannot achieve a certain number of players then they should be disbanded and merged into another nation. Maybe we would eventually get down to two fairly balanced nations and the Pirates (who dont really count ;)).

• Like 1

I think the only fair way to do it is looking at either overall accounts made on the server or the amount of logged in accounts in a single month or time period.

Player driven alliances can be picked up by many but doesn't control the whole nations views by the few. 

**my own views and in no way the views of my nation........

Edited by monk33y
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I need to understand why pirates would need alliances.  Doesn't seem very "Pirate-y".... But maybe a drawing would help.  Get right on that.  Kthanks.  

If pirates are allowed to conquest/lose ports they should also be allowed to have allies like other nations or have some mechanics to replace it.We are playing a game and i think every player should have same possibility to achive a goal.Sadly pirates have the same goals of any other nation but not the same tools to achive it.It s like me and you racing for a grand prix,you on 1000cc bike me on 125cc bike,guess who will win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyxyx said:

If pirates are allowed to conquest/lose ports they should also be allowed to have allies like other nations or have some mechanics to replace it.We are playing a game and i think every player should have same possibility to achive a goal.Sadly pirates have the same goals of any other nation but not the same tools to achive it.It s like me and you racing for a grand prix,you on 1000cc bike me on 125cc bike,guess who will win.

Following your example somehow...I am a biker, I choose to travel in bike cos I do not like cars, but if it rains I get wet... and cars have a roof. 

I would like pirates to be more unique, not simply a nation with a flag... anyway those who choosed be pirats (or bikers as me B)) knew it were different rules, no one was forced into piracy here.

• Like 5

As a biker myself I must still have a licence, not drink and drive, have insurance but unless I want to die when hit my a distracted car drive (cough on phone) I wear protection. Different yes but unique I'm not sure!

My personal views and in no way are they the views of the British empire**edit**

Edited by monk33y

14 minutes ago, Eishen said:

Following your example somehow...I am a biker, I choose to travel in bike cos I do not like cars, but if it rains I get wet... and cars have a roof. 

I would like pirates to be more unique, not simply a nation with a flag... anyway those who choosed be pirats (or bikers as me B)) knew it were different rules, no one was forced into piracy here.

You re completily wrong,alliances was not implemented in the beginning and nobody knew about that.Try with something else.

20 hours ago, tonyxyx said:

Feel free to join any nation and you`ll be able to play like everyone else.
Pirates should be unique and i was very dissapointed when i realized that they are working like nation but with black flag and few mechanics that gives them some adventages ( attacking each other to hide from nationals  for example ).

You are just selfish and want pirates to be same like every nation.

For me pirates should be bunch of hardcores that sails arround pillage drinks rum and yarrrs at anyone they meet.

They shouldnt have economy like rest nations. They should live from missions/smuggling/hunting.

They should have access to some cheap unique for pirates ships like pirate frig. Etc etc.

On topic:

Funny to see how some people ( hehehe same for few months ) try to enforce their own vision of game to suit themselves. It`s open world game sandbox. And till it stays like that it will promote "zerging" by design. It`s normal in such games. Want some kind of balanced fights? Go play WoWs and stop trying turning this game in to one.

Btw you didnt exploit for last week. What happend?

21 hours ago, monk33y said:

I think the only fair way to do it is looking at either overall accounts made on the server or the amount of logged in accounts in a single month or time period.

Player driven alliances can be picked up by many but doesn't control the whole nations views by the few. 

**my own views and in no way the views of my nation........

If that was the case every people would start to try to get rid of ther care bear crowd to get an edge in RVR. total number of players does not reflect in nu,ber of players participating in RVR.

for the port battle in trinidad for example: screening resulted in 2 pretty even OW battles and a port battle. both alliances where able to field roughly the same nu,ber of players for the event (and number of known danish RVR players showing up was pretty low if i recall correctly, so you still had reserves. you guys just cant be bothered to do the work and just want to play the PBs)

Port battle for castries was screened of. but that seems more due to the fact, that you guys managed to piss each other off enough so that alliance partners didnt show up than due to british-dutch-us alliance being larger in population. we brought roughly the same amount of screeners as we did for trinidad (25-30)

an alliance that is able to gather enolugh people to fill 7 port battles with 175 players should be able to field 30 for screening, unless you really just care for the port battle in which case i am sorry to tell you: this might not be the right kind of game for you. it is not a wows style arena combat game with matchmaking system you can bitch about once one team seems to have an adventage.

Edited by Chimera

If you read through the lines both position are  bit too strongh and not so close of truth.

About DA/SW/SP/FR coalition:

Spain is a bit too far away to activly help the rest of the coalition in fights. We are sometimes trying to make battle on the same time than they are to help decreasing the number in ennemy we are facing.

But Spain is our ally mostly because it's not yours.

Now about fr/sw/dan, we got some number specially in french nation. We keep our corebase of player with propagand and advertising on the game what make many new french players purchasing the game and enjoying it althought there is brits around ganking our noob players.
Yesterday, a PB was shedulded few miles away from Fort royal.

The french fleet was of course intercept by a small group of brits. OK, the french destroy badly the brits but the PB was fucked! A group of screen tagged french fleet not allowing it to reach the port. They sunked but they make their duty.

We could have ask and the danish and the swedish to help us but do you seriously think it's the same to defend your own port than defending an ally port or worst sacrifying to make an allies reach a port and sacrifying your own ship?

Of course not.

You can't compare a 3 nation pact that have 40% of player and one nation that have itself 40%.

It's like having 3 society making in number the number of player on a big clan. The 3 will be les focus, will have different interest will have different goal, leaders althought they are playing in the same camp for the same coalition or the same empire.

Defending a port is really easy now, defender have just to get a free outpost. You make an outpost the day before the batel and your tow a ship to the port. When pb arrive, you just have ot jump in and make the port battle.

Atm, our coalition is wining the port battle but sometimes maybe 1 times on 3 we will loose and as we are not able to attack, times after times our coalition will lost territory and finally it will decrease our playerbase. Bye decreasing our playerbase, we will be weaker meaning having less territory and more and more.

About chaning the alliances, it's not a point. Brits get 40 to 50% tje active population on the server allowing them to get 2 screening fleet + 2pb fleet (as we see on puerto de espanaà)  when they attack. Our coalition can setup one screening fleet and one pb fleet.

So we can defend with tow request and jumping in defense but we can't attack. It's where the problem on number is. I don't think ig mecanism should change it but smaller or weaker nation should have an advantage that make people reroll in them or join them more than joiing easy way.
For example it could have allow sorry clan to show courage insteeed of cowardness and join the weak to renforce them insteed of joining the zerg.
In potbs the smaller and weakest nation get huge advantage making on each map large society changing side just to help or renforce or balance the server. With no systme of "ending the war and statu quo" i don't see how things could get in right way

• Like 1

Agreed! You can't say that a nation that has access to 40% of the server population but is for whatever reason can only scrap 10% of its population to take part in rvr deserve to fight a nation with 15% of server population but gets a 13% turn up as fair balanced system.

Having the larger national player Base should restrict any nations access to multiple allies. 

Say for example the brits only had 100 players and 25 (USA)players from an allied nation to fight against 200 players (France)and 100 Spanish in every battle this forum would be full of posts asking for a direct link between population level and number of available allies!

Personally I think it's a system that should be tested before launch. If it doesn't work just reset!

**edit**  these are my views and no the views of the British empire!!!!

• Like 1

i dont mind benefits like "+15% to gained XP" for new players or a redeemable ship or something along those lines to encourage new players to select smaller nations.

Any mechanic that takes elements of the game away from other nations - and i include alliances in that - is not a good mechanic in my opinion. enforcing mechanics like that dont work in the concept of an open world sandbox game

I'd love to see certain upgrades only available (crafting)  from certain ports.

Marines from morrant etc

Sword fighting handbooks from grand turk.

Etc etc means u have to move around to capture key areas or smuggle mods out etc. Pirates should be unique for boarding or ship speed etc

Plerrik de Badas:

We could have ask and the danish and the swedish to help us but do you seriously think it's the same to defend your own port than defending an ally port or worst sacrifying to make an allies reach a port and sacrifying your own ship?

Of course not.

Even the relatively small United States nation has at times been able to supply 10-15+ screeners for its British or Dutch allies PB. Ask your allies to help screen, and that way you can designate your forces to be the PB fleet. 

4 hours ago, Leku said:

Feel free to join any nation and you`ll be able to play like everyone else.
Pirates should be unique and i was very dissapointed when i realized that they are working like nation but with black flag and few mechanics that gives them some adventages ( attacking each other to hide from nationals  for example ).

You are just selfish and want pirates to be same like every nation.

For me pirates should be bunch of hardcores that sails arround pillage drinks rum and yarrrs at anyone they meet.

They shouldnt have economy like rest nations. They should live from missions/smuggling/hunting.

They should have access to some cheap unique for pirates ships like pirate frig. Etc etc.

On topic:

Funny to see how some people ( hehehe same for few months ) try to enforce their own vision of game to suit themselves. It`s open world game sandbox. And till it stays like that it will promote "zerging" by design. It`s normal in such games. Want some kind of balanced fights? Go play WoWs and stop trying turning this game in to one.

Btw you didnt exploit for last week. What happend?

Your lack of knowledge of the game is embarassing.One don't simply tell others to play wows then knows nothing about what he is talking about....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyxyx said:

Your lack of knowledge of the game is embarassing.One don't simply tell others to play wows then knows nothing about what he is talking about....

I wonder how you know my knowledge of the game ... Can you tell me?

Can you actually answer to anything that i wrote?
Because atm you just look like someone who doesnt have any arguments and instead try to put me in some weird conversation.

And seriously it must be me badly writing ( well my english is bad i know ) or you must have problems with understanding when reading.

45 minutes ago, Leku said:

I wonder how you know my knowledge of the game ... Can you tell me?

Can you actually answer to anything that i wrote?
Because atm you just look like someone who doesnt have any arguments and instead try to put me in some weird conversation.

And seriously it must be me badly writing ( well my english is bad i know ) or you must have problems with understanding when reading.

Pirates can't attck each other,your arguments/provocations are weak,you know nothing about me/the game,that s all.

The alliance between the Brits, US and Dutch is not easily called a three nation alliance. At best it is a two and a half nation alliance. The Brits can field teams at most points of the day. That is their strong point but the Dutch can only field a strong team during European hours and the US can only field a strong team during NA hours. On top of that, although the Brits can field multiple teams, the Dutch can field at their prime time 2 teams and the US is lucky enough to field one at any time.

It has been established in previous threads that the Dane, French, Swedish, Spanish alliance fields more active RvR players during Euro prime time and the other alliance during NA prime time. I would actually call that pretty balanced.

As for the fights. All of the fights on the East coast of Florida against the danes ended in a 25v25 PB except for one in which we had less. The fight for Del Fuego against the Spanish was only defended by a half fleet because they didn't want it that much. This was proven when a few days later they brought a full stregnth fleet to Isamorada and successfully defended that area.

The complaint about the distance of the Spanish to France or the Danes is hogwash. The Danes repeatedly attacked Bermuda with no outpost to work from. They attacked across the map on the coast of Florida and the US helped defend the Windward Islands against the French push. The US showed with 21 screeners to Bermuda during European prime time which was a feet of organization and purpose. If the Spanish don't help their allies it is because of their own disorganization or drive. As a US player, I know well what it means to be in an extended mode of rebuilding and I understand if the Spanish are facing the same challenge but their lack of participation has nothing to do with distance.

As for the pirates and small nations. The game was introduced with nations that were very small and it was advertised that these nations would be the harder to play. There are many ways around this obstacle. The Danes have chose to hate the British and head their own alliance but now complain when they loose. The Danes start as a small country yet they seem to think they deserve to be as effective as a big one. The challenge is for them to overcome their weaknesses as the US has had to do. The pirates are the same. This game is in development and the pirates have been promised a mechanic that would make them more viable. Just wait your turn. Its coming. Smaller nations like the US could not make an alliance and were at the mercy of the Europeans. With the advent of the alliance patch the US can play with the big boys through a well organized and cooperative alliance. Pirates will have their day as well. Be patient. And choosing to go pirate is choosing to be a PIRATE not just sail around with a black flag and say ARR all day unless you are a veggie tale pirate.... " Pirates that don't actually do anything"

• Like 4